Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I don't give a poo poo about your nerd reports why aren't we playing MegaMek you fuckin dweeb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

idc what it is I just wanna play megamek w/goons now quit jibbering about your math garbage

e: also I once worked an upper level help desk position and a ticket got sent up to us from wherever because a user wanted us (3rd level support) to teach him how to use pivot tables for some poo poo he had to put together for his boss. lol no I am not going to teach you that. That's not broken or an issue, that's just hard.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Saalkin posted:

You can touch my dragon ;)

I'm the one paint stripe angled the wrong way

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

never made or used a spreadsheet in my drat life

I live free from the bounds of your boxes and numbers, like an eagle or a small marsupial

If you put a list of eagles in one column and a list of different small marsupials in another column, you can click the column headings to sort by their names think of how convenient that would be

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Going back to helpdesk poo poo, it'd be awesome to get something about Excel not working and the issue was that this person was working in some workbook that they had everything in.
And I mean every. thing.
Which it sounds like you monsters ALL do ALL the time and, anyway it'd be like 35gb in size or whatever and they'd be all pissed because some formula that needed 240 different pieces of data all on different tabs tied together 'was running slow now'. OH WORD? No, Excel hurrrr

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

sudonim posted:

gonna be real elitist for a moment

I do device software for a living and it really gets my goat when someone is all "I wrote software too!!1" but it turns out they write fuckin excel macros. Motherfucker I've made robots, heart pumps, and hearing aids, we are not the same

Anyway slap all computer touchers. We deserve it.

what is that like FORTRAN

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

That reminds me of 'purchasing' software for users who needed it deployed at my last place.
Which involved consulting a spreadsheet for costs as well as who, somewhere in the country, was the holder of the key to this mythical software in question (whatever it was that day), contacting them.
Then contacting purchasing.
Then contacting the user's manager for their budget approval.
Putting through the purchase request.
Then contacting management to rubber stamp it back to the key holder.
Getting the ok from the key holder.
Then pushing the install. Hoping the install worked. Hoping you didn't have too much configuration to do post install. And hoping you got away without the "Oh since I have you"

It was like being Winston in 1984 shoving a scrap of paper down the memory hole and wondering but not caring where it went.

Eventually that got more automated with SCCM and a 'store' like interface for SOME products. Good luck w/that for users doing that.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Harminoff posted:

Hint: use xlookup instead

See I never asked to read this, about spreadsheets. I don't want to have this rattling around up there now. C'mon. C'mon.