Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

You probably played Picross at some time: fill in the correct number of tiles in a row or column of a matrix, and if you get them all right, the matrix resolves into a colored picture. Generically, this sort of game is called a nonogram, although there are lots of other names.
You start with a matrix like this:
and wind up with a picture like this: .

Nonograms began out as paper puzzles in 1988, then showed up on electronic toys in 1995, and then Nintendo created Picross, which became the juggernaut we all know and love. Some nonogram games are timed, some penalize errors, some count you as a success if you just finish the damned thing.

I recommend any of the following on Steam:

Pictopix. Simply the best. The hardest puzzles are harder than I can manage. The game includes 300 puzzles, there are 2000 player-created puzzles in the workshop, and the developer regularly writes and uploads new puzzles.

Nonogram: The Greatest Painter. The puzzles are good, and the images are unusually beautiful. The pictures you solve slowly fit into a larger mosaic of images.

Pepper's Puzzles Standard nonogram game. Good pictures, and the captions make me laugh. The hardest puzzles are 35x20.

Voxelgram 3D nonograms that resolve into blocky objects. I find this tweaks my mind in different ways than the standard 2D stuff.

There are also two pleasant nonogram games with plots. Neither of them is terribly taxing.

Murder By Numbers is a combination murder-solving game and a picross. The picross puzzles are pretty terrible, actually; none of the pictures convey any sense of what they're supposed to represent. Solving the murder is fun, though, and the writing is crisp.

Pixel Puzzle Makeout League is a combination dating sim and nonogram. It's ridiculously adorable.

There are also games that require similar chains of reasoning, but that don't resolve into pictures. The most beloved of these is Hexcells. As the name suggests, it's based on hexagonal cells, not square ones. It starts out easy, then becomes fiendish. Go ahead and buy the bundle.

Come discuss your favorite games, ask for hints on puzzles you're stuck on, offer general solving hints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The 3DS has a ridiculous amount of picross games, ranging from a Pokemon and Zelda themed ones (one F2P and the other actually free), but also Picross 3D 2, which is just amazing.

The Switch has a bunch, too, though not as large a selection.

Finally, not Picross, but the best puzzle solving with numbers thing that isn't Sudoku, Picross, or Hexcell is Squarelogic on Steam. Super cheap and it will give you like 50h of content at a minimum.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

For Playstation you have Pic-a-pix series and the newly released Pictoquest which is part picross and part rpg. (very light rpg elements)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Saoshyant posted:

Finally, not Picross, but the best puzzle solving with numbers thing that isn't Sudoku, Picross, or Hexcell is Squarelogic on Steam. Super cheap and it will give you like 50h of content at a minimum.
I was especially hoping for recs like this!

I have a 3DS, but isn't Nintendo about to shut down the download server?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Next year, so plenty of time to download whatever you want for the time being and whatever you download will run happily offline without issues.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
If you have a 3ds, then Picross 3D Round 2 is a must buy.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

https://www.puzzle-nonograms.com/

This is a site with a bunch of different (free*) puzzle games that I play a lot. The nonogram puzzles don't form pictures, though, they're just randomly generated. I'm particularly fond of the pipes/freenet puzzle these days.

* Site has ads and popups, but AdBlock completely negates them. Also, there's a limit of how many puzzles you can do per day (50?) before it cuts off non-Patrons, but I've only ever hit it once and I regularly spend a couple hours doing puzzles while browsing youtube.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Of interest to this thread; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJCPxyi5x5g

And a bit of an anti-recommendation; the NP Picross games are not worth the bother grabbing from the SNES Romset no matter how much the idea of a picross game with Starfox 64, Pokemon or DKC intices you.
I don't know if that's just the memory constraints of the Nintendo Power download station cart or whatever but it's nothing short of amazing how bad it feels in comparison to Mario's Super Picross which came out a solid four years prior.

Mario's Super Picross is worth it if a bit basic, though.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 17, 2022

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The Konami Pixel Puzzle Collection is free on both the Android/iOS app store, and it's a pretty decent and hefty selection for a free Picross game.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

There's also Paint it Back on Steam, which is Another Picross Game. It's the first one I've played that has made me seriously question whether the provided puzzles are actually beholden to a logic that ensures they're solvable without guessing.

Hungry Cat Nonogram is an interesting variant on mobile, that operates on a palette of 4 colors per picture, and the hints you get are similar to Picross 3D in that you aren't given the order of the colors, just the number of tiles and whether or not they're consecutive. It's free with big dumb video ads and lets you pay a nominal sticker price to remove them. There's also a smattering of freemium crap that's easy to ignore. Has a decent count of classic puzzles, but the real highlight is the weekly Tuesday updates that give you a new set of 9 puzzles forming one full image. And thanks to this being the mobile app space, they really play fast and loose with licenses. While probably the majority of puzzles are of scenery, animals and the like, there are some surprisingly good pictures of characters from FF7, Cuphead, a smattering of anime, and so on.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 26, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

If you mention picross and Nintendo in the same sentence, you're basically mentioning Jupiter Corporation. They've been making these games since Mario's Picross for the good ol' monochrome Game Boy. Up until Picross S8 for the Switch which is... actually being released this very week!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIBaaQajwyI

Let's take a look at that part of their catalogue:
- For that old Game Boy there was Mario's Picross. It was not a success in the West, so picross stayed in Japan for a while. Like the sequel Picross 2.
- For the Super Nintendo/Super Famicom they made Mario's Super Picross. Which was oddly released for Virtual Console in Europe years later even though it was not translated from Japanese. I guess they realized that it would still be easy to pick up for fans of these games.
- They also released their first picross series for the Super Famicom, Picross NP, utilizing the Japanese only download-to-cartridge service Nintendo Power (if you're into Fire Emblem, you might have heard of this because of Thracia 776).
- There is a Pokemon Picross game for the Game Boy Color that was apparently not released, although that obviously did not stop the internet from both releasing and translating it.
- For the Nintendo DS there were Picross DS and Picross 3D. At this point the games were released in the West again.
*deep breath*
- For the 3DS eShop there was Picross 3D Round 2 and the Picross e Series. 9 installments of that, although they didn't release e9 in the West (probably too late in the lifecycle of the 3DS). There were 3 games tied a Nintendo rewards scheme: 2 in Japan and the one in the rest of the world, which was "My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess". They also made a free-to-play Pokemon Picross game, one with Sanrio characters (Hello Kitty & friends) and Pictlogica Final Fantasy (only in Japan, also on mobile, no longer available).
- For the Switch there has been the Picross S series, Picross S Genesis & Master System Edition and two other picross games attached to Japanese series.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 26, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I was especially hoping for recs like this!

You are no longer able to add funds to your account at this point, unless it is linked between the 3DS and the Switch. You can make purchases until March 2023, after which you can only download what you've bought before. But every iteration of the 3DS and its firmware is hackable, so that handheld will still be able to feed your picross addition in the future

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
I've been a fan of https://www.nonograms.org/ and puzzles are actually community created.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Picross 3D Round 2 is the poo poo. I'd love a good 3D Picross on Android. There is a clone called LogiCube that isn't as good.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Playing a game called LogicPic on Switch rn and it’s a pretty decent picross game with a ton of content just in the base game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Humongous Pear posted:

Playing a game called LogicPic on Switch rn and it’s a pretty decent picross game with a ton of content just in the base game.

this looks very nice and i can never have enough picross (already completed all the s-series on the switch)

got me wondering tho, the description says "from 5x5 to 15x20" and that's the same as the picross games outside of the extra puzzles. are there any nonogram games on the switch with larger puzzles like 30x30?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love to play Picross games on my phone, especially Picture Cross and Nonogram by Easybrain. Will grab this Konami one too, thanks!

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Your Computer posted:

this looks very nice and i can never have enough picross (already completed all the s-series on the switch)

got me wondering tho, the description says "from 5x5 to 15x20" and that's the same as the picross games outside of the extra puzzles. are there any nonogram games on the switch with larger puzzles like 30x30?

Depixtion has 24x24 puzzles and is kind of neat. It’s color picross but you build the image in layers, so you’ve got a bright red/dark red layer, a bright yellow/dark yellow layer, and a bright blue/dark blue layer, then when you’ve finished each layer you get a color layer. Kinda hard to play in portable mode once they get that big because the clue numbers are small, but it’s a cool variation on color picross much like 3D Picross and Voxelgrams are for normal nonograms

Idk if anything else on the Switch has anything as big or bigger than the bonus puzzles in the S games

Edit: Depixtion is on Steam too

Sailor Goon fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 28, 2022

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Your Computer posted:

Looks like Pic a Pix Deluxe does, though as DLC (under Giant Puzzles).

I liked the bit I played of PaPD on Switch, it has some presentation issues (mainly a kinda-bland song that gets old quick compared to the S games, and also some very odd lag at times which is very confusing for a Picross game) and can have some weird image results (my favorite being a cupcake covered in what looks like blood), but otherwise it's functional and doesn't seem to have any of the other shortcomings other non-S Picross games on the Switch do, as at the very least it gets the fundamentals right, plus it has a lot more color puzzles than the S series.

Also, instead of releasing new games of the series, PaPD opts for DLC packs instead, which may be better or worse depending on what you want (since you could always ignore certain DLC packs, like the Small Packs if you don't find them challenging enough).

There is a demo too if you want to try it out beforehand. Oddly one of the later puzzles does have lag, it's not nearly as common in the actual game but it does exist for some larger puzzles and I have no idea if they ever fixed any of it (I did play this like three or so years ago) so be aware of that.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 28, 2022

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
On iOS I have yet to find one as nice as CrossMe (Apple App Store/google play). The app is an ugly yellow-brown, but I like the number of puzzles, the touch-interaction, and the lack of an "arcade" style where you're punished for filling a square incorrectly (it IMO properly just doesn't tell you and lets you figure it out when things aren't adding up)

Starts out with 10x10s and goes up from there. I think it's a decent progression of difficulty.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Thank you for reminding me about voxelgram, i have like 300 hrs in that game from a couple years ago, and had no idea they'd released some new official sets!

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
throwing out a couple more mobile game recs:

Meow Tower (iOS/Android): kitties!!! the puzzles are on the easier side (all 10x10s and 15x15s), but the energy refill mechanics are generous enough that you can easily clear the whole thing F2P and the theming is every bit as adorable as it sounds

Conceptis Ltd. games (iOS/Android): this dev has apps covering a variety of logic puzzle types, not just nonograms (under "Pic-a-Pix"), so you can try different ones out and see which click for you. very nice UI/controls and a new free puzzle every week, but be warned that the paid content packs are a total ripoff unless you're getting, like, the Fill-a-Pix MegaChallenge packs that literally take several hours per puzzle to complete lmao

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Seconding Meow Tower on mobile. It's super cute and cozy, and just the right balance for a phone game.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

https://piclogi.tonakaii.com/

Whenever I get the picross bug this is the site I end up on

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ah, our old friend, the goat man.

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord

what the heck is this grid with 2x2 squares instead of 5x5. literally unplayable

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
I've loved these kinds of number logic games since Minesweeper on DOS and the original Mario's Picross on Game Boy, they're just so chill and good to zone out.

One I haven't seen mentioned yet in the vein of Hexcells that I really enjoyed playing through was Globesweeper: Hex Puzzler. The first Globesweeper was a decent but not very impressive procedural minesweeper game, but the sequel is all hand made puzzles with a bunch of mechanics piled on top.

Also really fantastic has been Hexceed which has a lot of free levels and still gets regular updates as paid DLC or a season pass that is totally worth it.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Hungry Cat Nonogram is an interesting variant on mobile, that operates on a palette of 4 colors per picture, and the hints you get are similar to Picross 3D in that you aren't given the order of the colors, just the number of tiles and whether or not they're consecutive. It's free with big dumb video ads and lets you pay a nominal sticker price to remove them. There's also a smattering of freemium crap that's easy to ignore. Has a decent count of classic puzzles, but the real highlight is the weekly Tuesday updates that give you a new set of 9 puzzles forming one full image. And thanks to this being the mobile app space, they really play fast and loose with licenses. While probably the majority of puzzles are of scenery, animals and the like, there are some surprisingly good pictures of characters from FF7, Cuphead, a smattering of anime, and so on.

I will also shill this game, it's been on my tablet for years. There are thousands of puzzles available so the few bucks to get rid of ads was totally worth it. Here's the links for convenience: Android/iOS

Zyxyz posted:

Conceptis Ltd. games (iOS/Android): this dev has apps covering a variety of logic puzzle types, not just nonograms (under "Pic-a-Pix"), so you can try different ones out and see which click for you. very nice UI/controls and a new free puzzle every week, but be warned that the paid content packs are a total ripoff unless you're getting, like, the Fill-a-Pix MegaChallenge packs that literally take several hours per puzzle to complete lmao

I've got a couple of these too and they've all been solid. If you like the link-a-pix game then this guy has made a bunch of them.

I was very disappointed, what even is this because it sure ain't no goat man

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Swilo posted:

I was very disappointed, what even is this because it sure ain't no goat man

Sure is ugly though.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
After playing Meow Tower for a bit and clearing about half the available puzzles, I'm disappointed to say that most of the puzzles are either so easy they feel like a time-waster to keep you from upgrading your cats' amazingly cute rooms, or take a few moments of thought. Either way, I've run into "please wait to play more videos" prompt a lot...

Not bad for a person new to picross, but the fact that the levels don't follow a progression of difficulty means that you aren't really learning any of the logic skills that really help on harder puzzles.

When I'm looking for a good picross, I'm looking for the following:

* No arcade style "only X incorrect marks allowed before restart"
* The clues should be enough to solve the puzzle.
* As far as help goes, I prefer when the clues auto-dim when the row/column they're looking at satisfies them, but not necessarily EXACT placement.
* Resulting pictures should be interesting without adding additional colors/designs. (Not a fan of true random generation, nor of big squarish blobs that turn into "A Framed Picture of a Dog" when you complete them)

That being said, I'm a huge fan of EASY picross, as it's very ego-gratifying to just slam out a solution on your phone.

In that vein, I recommend the Luna Story series (iOS/Google Play). They're still fairly easy, and they also commit the sin of giving you puzzles that require using the logic of the auto-completed row/column clues to progress in the puzzle, but the story and art is charming, and I feel like the puzzles have a bit of a progression from Easy to Hard throughout each game. (The internationalization is a bit funky, but I think that adds to the charm.) Lots of big dumb ads.

Luna Story (iOS/Google Play)
Luna Story II (iOS/Google Play)
Luna Story III (iOs/Google Play)
Luna Story Prologue (IOS/Google Play)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Inadequately posted:

The Konami Pixel Puzzle Collection is free on both the Android/iOS app store, and it's a pretty decent and hefty selection for a free Picross game.

Something interesting about this one is that once you've completed all the puzzles, you gain access to an 'expert' mode, where you basically play through all the puzzles again, but *cannot* mark empty squares. A very interesting way to mix up the usual formula, that I'd not encountered before.