Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Whenever Nagamimi's onscreen, everybody should be asking, "Where's Zero III?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Update XII - Featuring: Sidequests

Music: The Daily Grind

Alright, let's go grab the other two DLC portraits.

Strangely, while the scene for Code: Lucier (and Code: Student in a minute) took place right where the NPC is, Code: Otaku instead teleports everyone to the doors.

I guess they couldn't really cram Unit 13, the quest giver, 2020 Hacker, Nagamimi, and Allie into that tiny cafe.

Kazu: *faint-o* ...

Let's forget about him-o.

And so, the creepy dude with some kind of femdom fetish vanishes into the ether, never to be seen again.

Uhhhhhh... poo poo.

Y-Yeah, but... She lost all her memories. We don't even know where her home is. I don't know what to do with her...

Hmmm★ She can fight dragons with Unit 13!

What are you smoking!? She's a civilian, not a dragon hunter!

About that... I looked into her 7th Encount data, and it turns out she's quite the little pro! Believe it or not, she went and took down a High Dragon in there!

Seriously, where were all these High Dragons hiding out? 7th Encount consists of a single tower that's 95% linear paths.

What!? That's insane!

Will you join us?

Hacker nods.

Eeheehee... Looks like she's all pumped up.

Then it's settled! I love getting more teammates! Welcome to Nodens!

And now to finish up this trio of DLC quests with Samurai.

Ichi: You have my gratitude, Honorable Unit 13! Now I will no longer have to end my life!

...What time period do you think you're living in? More importantly, you have a place you can stay, Straight Bangs?

Samurai looks down.

This isn't good...

You'd think the president of one of the most popular video game companies in the world/owner of the world's first and only time machine would be... I don't know, busy?

Allie. Yeah, but... She's got amnesia. She doesn't even know where she lives! I'm fresh outta ideas...

How about she team up with Unit 13 to fight dragons?

Don't be ridiculous! We can't have a civilian out on the battlefield!

Well, I checked on her 7th Encount data, and surprise, surprise! She has extraordinary strength! Before you had to go and scare her, she was hunting dragons! She even took down a High Dragon!

What!? No freaking way!

Wanna kill some dragons?

Samurai nods.

Eeheehee... I think she's into this.

Then it's settled! I love getting more teammates! Welcome to Nodens!

For whatever reason, this is the only ending cutscene that has the quest giver stick around for the whole thing.

And that's all of them.

While we just get the female portraits, they still get the standard three color options.

With that dealt with, we can finally go fetch the Blaster Pen.

Tina: Sorry, Unit 13! Wait here for a few!

We get a quick fade to black.

Tina: This is probably the pen you're looking for, Unit 13. I was making a poster reminding everyone to wash their hands so they don't catch a cold. That's when this funny-looking man in tights came and started helping me out. I guess his pen got mixed in with the others! I need to go give it back to him right away! Huh? You'll do it for me? That's perfect! I'm actually still waiting to get my check-up. Thank you so much, Unit 13!

...I thought Blaster Raven was joking when he called it his Blaster Pen.

Blaster Pen in Blaster Hand, we can go get his autograph.

To echo the bravery put forth by my loyal followers, I shall pour my heart into this autograph!

And he actually calls it a Blaster Autograph!

By the way, is one all that you require? I have no arrangements for today, so I can sign until—

Anyways, what exactly do you do?

*chuckle* I'm glad you asked! I vanquish dragons in the west! I save people in need in the east!

*sob* That was... beautiful...

:allears:

~

That's quite alright...

*chuckle* Such modest children! The future of this Earth is bright indeed! Do not be afraid to ask! Blaster Raven will always be here for those in need! Hahaha!

And now to hand over the Blaster Autograph.

Researcher Joe: Thank you so much! This'll help me fulfill my fatherly duties! Here, take this. It's not much, but it's all I've got.

You obtained Healing Aloe I x3.

You obtained SP Up 100 x3.

That was the last sidequest we could do in 2100.

Now, there will almost certainly be a cutscene when we enter the Portal Room...

Music: UE77 Tokyo

But fast travel lets us skip right over it!

Granted, we won't be allowed to actually go to Cladeon until we watch that cutscene.

Music: Atlantica - The Emerald Afterglow

Back in Atlantica, we're here for snails and seeds.

Some markers have also appeared on the map.

Each marker is a field enemy.

Music: Battlefield - Atlantis

Each one is an encounter with at least one Dragonsbane Seed.

Thankfully, Cyclone Dance shreds them.

Music: Finish Them Off

Compared to the normal seeds in this area, the DLC seeds give insane SP at 400 a kill.

The catch is that they just... never scale up.

We could be at the end of the game where we need over 9000 SP to level a skill, and this DLC (which you pay for, mind) will still be giving around 4000 for a full run through Atlantica.

More spawn in every time we kill the previous set.

The second seed drops... cat food?

Cat food?

What the hell are people feeding their pets in the 22nd century???

They aren't all one seed, however. This fight has two seeds and a Queen Rabi. The Queen Rabi hews more closely to a traditional Metal Slime, having high evasion and giving lots of EXP.

Having multiple enemies on the field really cuts the effectiveness of Cyclone Dance, so the Rabi and one of the Seeds manage to run away.

The next two fights show up on the next screen, but I'd rather not get too strong for where I'm at, so I'll put the rest of this off for another day.

I have a better idea on how to use the rest of that SP, anyways.

Instead, I head inside.

Spiral Cannons have a higher chance of spawning when indoors, and we also have a 10% chance of running into a normal Seed to boot!

The first trip through Atlantica got me 8 units, so farming up the remaining 2 takes no time at all.

Also, for those of you familiar with the 2020s, the jokey item blurbs for monster bits were entirely added by Pokeytax. Junk items here either tell you if something is for a quest, or if you can sell it right away.

Again, why are Dragonsbane Seeds dropping cat food?

And done.

Buuuuuuuut since heading back to Nodens puts us in the Portal Room, we're automatically forced into the cutscene.

We sent the other soldiers ahead to Atlantis. I wanted to speak with you guys before starting this mission. I'm sure you have plenty of thoughts about us stepping on your toes... But I'm honestly quite excited about cooperating to fight the True Dragons. I look forward to working with you, Opal.

That's enough, Yuma. Let's go.

A quick stop to turn in that meat, and then we can go to Cladeon.

Ami: You got 10 Spiral Meat, just like I asked you to! Ohhhhhh they look so delicious! I mean, uh... valuable for research! Right! Anyways, here's your reward!

You obtained Steel Wear x1.

The Steel Wear is tanky armor that's a bit better than what we can buy in store for now.

Ami: You guys were so quick on the job... Mmm, meat caught by the most talented hunters around... The texture is probably incredible... *drool*

There, all sidequests (aside from those seeds) done.

Now we can get back to our actual job.

They didn't lie, that ward really do be lower.

Music: Cladeon - An Undersea Shimmer

You know, its a good thing OSHA didn't exist in 10000 B.C.

Because I'm fairly sure a drop to... what was that on the map screen, the seabed? Would have them flipping out.

Sheesh, Julietta never tells me anything! What the heck are we supposed to do here!? Watch where you step, Unit 13. Unless you wanna splatter like a blood-filled pumpkin, that is.

Hmph. We'll be continuing whether you want to or not. Find a safer route if you're too afraid.

Well then, please excuse us.

Yuma and Yoritomo start hopping from one floating rock to another.

Hey, Unit 13! Get a move on!

Opal looks around.

You idiot! You think you'll be able to beat a True Dragon if this crap scares you? I won't force you or anything, but just try and figure it out! I bet your footing'll be secure if you follow their path. C'mon, get going!

Next time: Nodens starts a new hiring initiative.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 12, 2023

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Hey, I used Cyclone Dance on the farming DLC, too! :hfive:

Also, am I the only one that assumes the Blaster Pen has glowing ink? Just seems like Blaster Raven's style.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

BisbyWorl posted:

...owner of the world's first and only time machine would be... I don't know, busy?

The one does rather solve the other.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

BisbyWorl posted:

The second seed drops... cat food?

Cat food?

What the hell are people feeding their pets in the 22nd century???

I think the question is more, what are people feeding the seeds?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

HiKaizer posted:

I think the question is more, what are people feeding the seeds?

Considering the dietary habits of normal dragons: people. :v:

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 28, 2022

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Multi-hits are pretty much the best way to kill Dragonsbane Seeds. In all games they have 999 defense. They only had 1 HP in DS, so the challenge was hitting them before they escaped. (Which they had an 85% chance of doing.)

In the 2020s, smacking one would either deal 1 or 2 damage to it, so multi-hits, such as the Samurai's Whirlwind, which can hit 7 times, were the best way of dealing with them.

VFD? Cyclone Dance is pretty much the dedicated seed killer skill since it goes up to a whopping 14 hits. Shame scratch damage was nerfed to 1 damage though.

Dragonsbane Seeds in the 2020s and VFD have a 50% chance of running on turns 1, 3, and 5+. But on turns 2 and 4, they only have a 10% chance of running.

Spiral Meat has a 50% drop rate thankfully, though unfortunately that still means you got an average of 20 of the Spiral Cannons to kill.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XIII - Featuring: New friends

Cladeon is certainly nice to look at, I'll give them that.

The team starts hopping from rock to rock.

And we can see some lights in the ward further ahead.

One civilian, two roaming dragons, and our very first barrier dragon await in the first zone of the dungeon.

It was at this point I remember to slap a Phazer Ring on Yuno, bumping her SPD ever so slightly above Inoue's. That'll let her get off a VolcanoBurning Spear first and let Inoue immediately follow up with Maple Tear.

Those things are swarming this place. You're gonna have to be careful if you wanna stay alive. Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you— Make sure you know when you're fighting near a dragon. They're so hot-blooded they might just ambush you! How rude of them! Eeheehee...

A quick tutorial on dragon invasions. If you get into a battle near a dragon, they'll eventually break into the fight if you don't finish things quickly.

Music: Battlefield - Furious Predator

Anyways.

The Aquaria was previously seen in the future present.

On an unrelated note, I hate time travel.

To give an idea on what our damage should be like, now that we're not facing amped up DLC versions of them.

Gross.

Ow.

You know what I'm in the mood for?

Some calimari!

Well that almost killed Inoue.

Twice over.

Shame about that item priority!

Works for me!

We have a few repeat enemies from the end of Atlantica, but the Poison Frogs are new.

They poison you, if the name didn't give it away.

Hey look, another dragon!

With that extra SP from the Seed DLC, I got Yuno her searchers.

Search: FireGearbreed as the same animation as Supply DrawPot of Avarice, but with red effects instead.

Inoue is also preparing.

Yuno's next goal is to set up X FireChain Strike.

This is the base damage on it. Pretty sad, right?

Well let's feed this forest fire.

Yuno outspeeds.

Which gives Inoue a boost.

That nearly outdamaged Inoue.

Inoue had her own ATK buff active.

I still have one turn of X BurnDragon's Gunfire left.

And oh look, Yuno has another Fire card on hand!

Duelist requires a lot more setup to get stuff done compared to other classes, but man they can do some work if things line up.

Yuma and Yoritomo are just ahead.

Having said that... it should disappear if we defeat the dragon guarding it.

*shakes head*

Don't tell me you're planning on fighting it?

*nods*

I'd advise against that. This dragon is far more powerful than the others in this area.

Hmph... Do as you please. However, don't expect any support from me.

Are you sure about that, Admiral?

They'll never be of use to us if they can't manage to beat one as small as this.

*chuckle* True enough. In that case, I will stand back as well. Let's see what Unit 13 can do.

And with absolutely zero fanfare, Exhaust!

It also boosts guarding.

And your attack can't miss.

And doubles ailment infliction rates.

I don't know why they never mention that last bit, it makes status moves much more consistant.

And our very first barrier dragon is...

A Hammer Dragon!

Opal gets started.

And Yuno starts building Fire.

Ah.

Well at least Yuno has two Fire, now!

Ow.

Yuno sets up.

Opal hits G2.

And as team leader of Unit 13, Opal calls dibs on the first use of Exhaust.

:fuckoff:

The damage is nice, but the real bonus here is having that DEF/MDF debuff land first thing.

My one regret is that there's no way this dragon will survive long enough for Yuno to burn those other two cards and take a hit from X BurnMass Driver.

The Hammer charges again.

But he won't last long enough.

That actually feels a bit anticlimactic after Opal slammed him for 400, honestly.

You've grown at a far quicker rate than I would have expected. That was brilliant.

What's the matter, Admiral?

Footprints. And they're still fresh.

That means... there are people ahead?

Most likely.

Impossible...! How could anyone survive in this dragon's nest!?

This is a mine, Yuma. With the minerals here, a skilled Lucier could craft a powerful weapon.

...!

Let's save those people!

Unit 13, our mission here is the swift retrieval of the True Dragon specimen. Rescuing locals would go against our orders.

Counterpoint: Unit 13 isn't military, so we can ignore orders all we want! What's Julietta going to do, fire the only team of dragon hunters they have on staff?

~

Do you mean the Dragonslayer?

Indeed. If the Dragonslayer still exists, stopping this invasion may not be impossible after all. In any case, let's continue on.

~~

Hey, Unit 13! Man, this is embarrassing... They've completely taken the initiative from you. You did do quite a number on that dragon in the wall, though. You're no match for these ISDF bitches in terms of experience, but just keep pushing on. Now then, about the survivors... I'm struggling to differentiate between dragon and human signals. There are just so goddamn many. And it's not guaranteed that those survivors are actually gonna be any use to us. Be careful, yeah?

There's a heal spot right after the barrier.

Crybaby Girl: Oh... I thought you were my mommy and daddy...

And the civilian right next to it.

And the chest right next to the civilian.

...wait, dagger?

That's not for any class we have.

Oh well, I'm sure it won't become important in the next 5 minutes.

There's something funny about the devs actually using the dragon field model for this.

The corpse of a dragon. And this laceration is clearly the work of human weapons. The humans responsible should be close by. They seem to be many in number...

Correct. They're most likely some kind of trained militia. This corpse is proof of that.

So, what do we do? The area ahead is clearly their territory. Danger surely awaits if we continue forth. We can either push through, or try and find a way around.

Hey, aren't we here to find people? Preferably one who could forge a Dragonslayer? You'd think a militia would be thrilled to have more hands to murder dragons with.

I'd like to hear Unit 13's opinion on the matter.

Let's look for another way.

Hm... I wonder if we'll be able to find one around here.

We should search the area a little longer and see what we can come up with.

~

We must keep moving!

Hm, I agree.

Seeing what happened here, it's safe to assume any other routes would be dangerous as well. We should prepare for combat just in case. These don't seem like people who can be reasoned with.

~

Both we and the militia here may have a common goal... but we will not know until we actually meet.

The next cutscene isn't even five feet away from the last.

Jesus Christ! :stare:

Music: Stops

Suddenly, dudes from the sky!

Music: Endless Attack Cycle

You guys aren't regular old thieves, are you?

We hold no ill will. Please lower your weapons.

Like I'd listen to you!

And even more guys from behind!

You're splitting into two groups, huh?

Doesn't matter if you're a dragon or a thief... I'm not letting you get through here!

All that fuss and Eigur just... gets the normal battle music, huh?

He's also fairly low on health, with 916 LF compared to the 1014 on the Hammer Dragon we fought not even two minutes ago.

Eigur gets two moves a turn, and his normal attacks hit twice.

Hey look, a second Fire card! Yuno's really believing in the Heart of the Cards today!

Offense Stance is his version of Power Charge.

I then make the executive decision that blocking is for chumps.

For the head of the militia, Eigur isn't doing so hot.

Ah.

And then he dies two seconds later to hot rocks being dropped on his head.

He can't even deny Opal the XP from a boss kill!

Music: Destructive Curse

Dude, you got bodied. Just take the L.

Hraaahhh!

Wait!

...!?

Young Militiaman: W-We're sorry, Eigur...

I'll say it again— We hold no ill will towards you. Are you the leader of this settlement?

...No. I'm just the commander of the army. The chief is somewhere else.

In that case, lead us to him.

Rude Militiaman: There's no reason for you to listen to these fools, even if they try and kill us!

Young Militiaman: Th-That's right! Give it all you got!

Ah yes, provoke the people who just beat you all without breaking a sweat.

Idiots.

Even Eigur agrees with me!

Didn't we promise we'd beat Nyala together? How am I gonna do that if you're dead?

Eigur nods.

Come on... I'll show you guys the way. Follow me!

Let's follow him, Unit 13.

And that's the first zone mapped out.

Music: Chant for Sanctuary (code:VFD Ver.)

...I knew it. You guys are here to steal the Star Crystal, huh? drat thieves, coming in to take Cladeon's most precious treasure during all this turmoil.

We have no intention of stealing anything. We share the same objective.

What...?

I messed up, Chief... I let these guys take me hostage.

lol she doesn't even have a portrait.

We're here to kill Nyala.

...!?

Chief Toglau: What...?

What kinda crap are you thieves going on about!?

I'm sure you gained a good grasp of our combat abilities from our previous battle.

Yeah, I've got a grasp alright. Those guys won't even be able to scratch Nyala's tail!

We'll never know unless we try.

You can't do it. You wouldn't be able to beat a High Dragon, let alone Nyala.

*shakes head*

Tch...

~

And you can?

Shut up! Of course not! But...

~~

It's not like there's anywhere here for us to hide. We might as well try to fight!

What about the Dragonslayer...?

...!

Chief Toglau: How do you know about our treasured sword?

Legend of it has spread in our country as well. The sword that can slice through a True Dragon...

Chief Toglau: Indeed... Knowledge of it was passed along so that we could combat the dragon invasion.

Emille and Aitelle got a bit of a name change for the offical release.

Now, while they were known to have been here since the first 2020, the Sisters will be Miss Not Appearing In This Time Period for VFD.

Considering their MO at the time, they probably hosed off once it looked like Atlantis was lost.

The Hypnos Sisters...

Chief Toglau: So you know of them... They warned us of the dragon invasion and taught us of the Dragonslayer. The people of Cladeon are the descendants of those who were originally taught these secrets.

Does that mean the Dragonslayer is here?

No... It no longer exists.

Chief Toglau: After Nyala appeared, we followed the prophecy and gave the Dragonslayer to our former king.

But instead of Nyala, our king Utrello and his men were the ones to die. Even my father...

Chief Toglau: We lost not only our king, but the mythical sword as well... The prophecy of the priestess Emel is as follows.

Chief Toglau: Currently neither sword nor hero exist. Our hope of survival has already crumbled.

Is there no way to forge another Dragonslayer?

Chief Toglau: We are lacking the materials. Furthermore, many of our smiths have lost their lives in battle.

On top of that, the High Dragon Mayhem is using our forge as a nesting ground. Our Star Crystal protects us from weak dragons, but this is one of the few safe places left. Dammit... That thing knew how important the forge was to us...!

Let's take it back.

We would if we could! But if we went to fight Mayhem,

~

I'll kill the High Dragon.

:black101:

You think you're some kinda hero? Ha, haha... A weakling like you? Don't make me laugh.

Indeed, Unit 13 still has much room for growth. But... you never know what can happen.

Besides, we're here as well. Eigur, your reason for not going after Mayhem is that you need to keep your people safe, yes?

Hey Yuma, you want to mention how you killed Spectus in one hit? Be kinda helpful right now.

Yeah... If we went to fight it,

~~

we wouldn't be able to protect the citizens here.

Hmph, and you want to try and take down Nyala in such a pitiful state...

Shut it! I know the situation's not looking good, but...

I understand. In that case, leave the High Dragon at the forge to us.

...You really think you're gonna do anything to a High Dragon with that few people?

Yes. We're going to kill it.

You're crazy...!

Chief Toglau: Visitors... Do as you please. We will not stop you.

Chief!?

Chief Toglau: Eigur... You're doing very well here. However, there is little more we can do with the strength we have. Let us rely on them for now.

poo poo... Fine. You guys can handle the High Dragon.

Oh yes.

Chief Toglau: You are the commander. You may do as you see fit.

Got it. Look, trying to take on a High Dragon with so few people is just plain reckless. Besides, things should be easier if you have a Lucier who's dealt with the monsters around here. They're all still amateurs, but feel free to bring anyone from my army along with you.

Tactical reinforcements... ISDF is in no position to accept new recruits at this time.

Also I'm not sure what the legality of a international military organization hiring people from alternate points in time are.

However, I'm sure Unit 13 will welcome the suggestion with arms wide open.

Nodens, however, has long since stopped giving a poo poo about the law.

You're gonna need to ask Allie and Julietta before you can go making any new hires.

Hm? You want to accept a Lucier from Atlantis into Unit 13!?

Fine by me! I'm all for it★

See?

Ohhhhhh yes.

You're too easy to persuade! But I guess having a Lucier would be nice... Those ears...

Music: UE77 In Ariake

The Atlantis recruits come with two new classes, with two new sets of portraits to go with them.

We have Rune Knight.

And Fortuner.

Skipping ahead a bit, we also get these.

The bottom screen finally sees some use!

When everyone in a row has one bar, you can drag across all of them to give a one turn buff to the front line based on what classes perform it.

While tapping someone who has two bars filled will give a free attack from them.

This attack usually has some kind of debuff attached, and dispels any buffs the enemy has. Attack? Defense? Regen? Jumping? Doesn't matter, Buddy Skills will wipe it all out.

This is the reason for that glowing health bar we've been seeing ever since Spectus: It signifies that the target has buffs we can dispel with a Buddy attack.

And heading back to 7th Encount, the Receptionist who told us about the starting classes can now give info about our new classes.

Receptionist: The Rune Knight, also known as the guardian of the party, has the highest defense of any class. With healing skills and magic barriers, they can protect both themselves and their allies. They can also use elemental magic attacks to strike enemy weaknesses.

The dedicated tank class, Rune Knights trade in the sheer brute force potential of a God Hand and instead mixes in a higher focus on taking hits and elemental damage.

...Aside from the fact that Rune Knights have some of the best ST moves in the entire game. Atlantis is where VFD's power creep really starts to set in.

Receptionist: Fortuners utilize status ailment spells and support skills to control the flow of battle. In addition to just inflicting ailments, they can also deal high damage to inflicted enemies. They can also support allies by increasing defense, healing, and reviving. Fortuners are the quickest class, but their defense and LIFE are both low, so please be careful.

Fortuners, meanwhile, mix in what bits of Trickster and Hacker weren't taken by Agent, throws in a dash of Idol, and finishes up with, of all things, some tricks from 7D1's Princess!

They also made Sacrifice good holy poo poo.

Anyways, with all that out of the way its now time for-

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jun 12, 2023

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Bonus: Character Creation 2

That's right, Blaster Kids, a whole new team means another batch of people to make! And wouldn't you know it, we have exactly three classes that need to be filled! This time I need an Agent, a Rune Knight, and a Fortuner.

Everything from before can be found over here, and the new guys come with...

Rune Knight A

Rune Knight B

Fortuner A

Fortuner B

2020 Samurai

2020 Hacker

2020-II Lucier

I had to pull the DLC colors from the artbook, don't judge me.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

:unsmigghh:

Goddamn these new classes are loving monkey brain balanced, I'll just say that much right now. Thought the power creep before was a bit much? You've seen nothing yet! I'll say it's a loving wonder Nyala managed to trounce these folks.

Exhaust is such a powerful core mechanic that's... just so poorly explained by the game. Because good usage of this can really enhance your party, and is extremely vital for Hackers in the 2020s to function more consistently, and the Agents in VFD. Gaining Exhaust isn't really explained well too, but knowing how it functions and how to get the most out of it makes such a huge difference in these games.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Fortuner with Rune Knight B-1 or B-2 (Male) named whatever way you can get Urianger to fit into the character limit. Not fussed about the voice.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Name: Leonidas
Portrait: Male Rune Knight A2
Class: Rune Knight

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Name: Aria
Portrait: Lucier B
Class: Fortuner

Toyotasomi no Miko
Oct 23, 2016
Powercreeping is extremely inbound. But also this isn't even the final creep.

Toyotasomi no Miko posted:

Class: Samurai
Portrait: Agent MA2
Name: Francis☆
Voice: Ryota Takeuchi
...Am I really submitting the same character again? Yes.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Toyotasomi no Miko posted:

Powercreeping is extremely inbound. But also this isn't even the final creep.

...Am I really submitting the same character again? Yes.

Sorry, but Inoue already has the Samurai slot.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Dang, those F Rune Knight B portraits are, uh, intense.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

megane posted:

Dang, those F Rune Knight B portraits are, uh, intense.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Name: Valerie
Portrait: Rune Knight FB2

I like those portraits there, seem fun.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
I just want to see at least one character with any female Rune Knight B portrait.

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

It's times like this I prefer to just burn everything. Works out better than you'd think!

Well, until you burn down the coffee shop anyways. I still haven't heard the end of that...
Ah, Rune Knight. My favorite class in VFD by a long shot. They call it a tank, but given a few of its skills... well. Those Who Don't Know Shall Soon See. Fortuner is also pretty cool and was on my frontline squad for most of my first playthrough of the game. As for a character for the team here in this LP...

Name: Aiden
Portrait: Agent A2 Male
Class: Agent

Let's get some gun bullet shenanigans up and rolling, since all the other votes I'm seeing are for Rune Knight or Fortuner.

Magnus Ragnar fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jul 1, 2022

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Nothing in this game has as much character as Female Rune Knight B, and it is a sign of completely misaligned priorities that they don't get lines.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

F Rune Knight B does have undeniable character.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Name: Francesca
Portrait: Rune Knight B F
Voice: Whoever you think is close enough to fill in as the "big sister" role
Edit: Or whoever sounds intense enough. Either works.

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020

Jade Rider posted:

Name: Aria
Portrait: Lucier B
Class: Fortuner

+1'ing this, with the addition of:
Voice: Yoko Hikasa

On another note, it's unfortunate there isn't Sumire Uesaka as an option; if she were a choice and her performance was similar to Dekomori from Chuu2 or Hallessena from Granblue Fantasy, she'd be perfect for Rune Knight F B.

NyoroEevee fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 5, 2022

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

General Mechanics: How the hell do you manage to buff guarding?

Now, there are a lot of little details in how VFD runs under the hood, and I'd rather have it all in one place rather than sprinkle it in all across the LP.

Priority

Priority in VFD is... strange. Instead of a standard 1-2-3-etc tier system, we instead get:
    2 (EX boosted action)
    1 (Standard action)
Its thematically fitting to have 7 be the best possible speed tier, I guess?

Stat Changes
  • NEW: Buffs/Debuffs now directly affect stats, rather than final damage.
Now, I've mentioned this change a number of times so far, but what does it mean, exactly? What makes this small change so impactful?

Well, in the 2020s, buffs/debuffs got applied at the very end of damage calculation. As an example: if we threw a 250 ATK hit against a 150 DEF enemy, we'd get 250 - 150 for 100 damage. Add in a 30% damage boost, and that bumps up the result to 100 * 1.3 = 130 damage. Pretty decent, right?

In VFD, those changes are now calculated before damage. So suddenly instead of the ending 100 damage getting boosted, we're having our 250 ATK getting that 30% boost for a grand total of (250*1.3) - 150 = 175 damage. That's more than double the bonus from 2020 from a single buff! Now imagine how devastatingly powerful something like Samurai's Motionless or Psychic's Concentrate (2.5x damage increase!) would be under this system.

And this works in reverse too, as it lets defense buffs cut damage by a much larger chunk. Combine it with attack debuffs, and suddenly it becomes possible to make enemies plink against you for 1 HP.

I'd say out of all the changes VFD made behind the scenes, this is the one that causes most of the game's power creep.

Items
  • NEW: Items now have a priority level of 3.
  • Edit: Items do not give priority, instead they give a x2 Speed multiplier.
This was the only change they needed to completely upend the game's action economy. No more worries about someone needing a heal getting sniped before an item can get tossed. No more reviving a guy only for the boss to use an AOE and instantly kill them again. Priority just gives items so much safety that the only way for someone to die is if you either intentionally go for a risky play, or enough damage gets piled on to one person to kill them from full.

e: Future Bisby here. Araxxor dug into the code again after I noticed some inconsistencies at the end of the game, and it turns out that items just make you go really fast, but a big enough gap can still let an enemy go first. It literally only matters in the post-game, however.

Critical Hits
  • NEW: All attacks can now crit, not just normal attacks and specific skills. The base crit rate is 5% for all players and enemies.
  • All player crits deal 1.5x bonus damage. Rush Shot is the sole exception, dealing 1.1x damage on a crit.
  • Enemy crits deal 1.25x damage.
This one is a bit of a double edged sword, as while it lets you nail an enemy with a crit on your biggest moves, it also means they can do the same thing to you. The devs also made one of their very few nerfs to go along with this, as most crit chance boosters are toned down to avoid making it trivial to hit a 100% crit rate.

Guarding
  • Guarding has a priority level of 3.
  • Guarding reduces damage taken by 50%.
  • NEW: Guarding reduces ailment and debuff infliction chances by 50%.
  • Using Exhaust when Guarding boosts everything to 75%.
Hey, fun fact: in the 2020s the only way to prevent an ailment from landing was to use equipment to block it. There were no way to prevent debuffs, period. VFD just lets you do both with an entirely free action.

Turns out that that's how you buff guarding.

Healing
  • Items heal for a fixed amount of LIFE.
  • All healing skills get a bonus equal to (MAT * 0.1).
  • Using Exhaust boosts healing by 2x, but does not affect revival items or skills.
Using EX-boosted heals has far less importance now, considering items have priority.

Status Ailments
  • Burn: Deals damage on every action. Reduces ATK, MAT, DEF, and MDF by 10%.*
  • Freeze: Deals damage on every action. Reduces SPD by 90%.
  • Bleed: Deals damage every turn. Base damage increases by 20% after the first turn, then significantly less for every turn after.
  • Poison: Deals damage every turn.
  • Curse: Deals backlash damage when the unit attacks an enemy.
  • Sleep: Unit cannot act. Unit suffers +20% bonus damage and wakes up upon being hit.
  • Paralysis: Unit has a chance of having their actions negated.
  • Blind: Unit suffers a negative modifier to accuracy.
  • Stun: Unit moves last for this turn only.
  • Null Action: Unit cannot act.
  • Downer: MN costs are doubled.
  • Hack: Required to use an Agent's hacking skills. Has a chance to cancel the target's actions.
  • Hack Weakness: Odds of an Agent's Hack succeeding are boosted. Infliction rates are increased by 2.2x if Hack Weakness is inflicted by a TROY, or 1.8x if inflicted by an Agent's Buddy Skill.
  • G-Depth: Required to use God Hand offensive moves.
*There is one exception to this.

So, I've already gone over Burn and Freeze a bunch, but I'd like to point out that Stun is now even more worthless, as Freeze effectively acts as a multi-turn version of it. Poison has also become the worst DoT, as Venom Boost has been entirely pulled from all classes. I guess that's just a bit too much power for the players to have.

Exhaust
  • Damage dealt is multplied by 1.5x.
  • Guarding reduces damage and infliction rates by 75%.
  • Healing is multiplied by 2x.
  • Attacks can never miss, unless the target is jumping.
  • Ailments have their infliction rates multiplied by 2x.
  • NEW: All actions have a priority level of 2.
  • Escaping a fight is guaranteed.
  • EX Skills are usable.
Hey, noticed that one change? Before, EX would only give you max speed for that priority tier. Now, EX makes you Go First, without exception.

EX Gauge Gain
  • All effects can stack, aside from LF lost breakpoints.
  • Multihit attacks give EX for each hit that lands.
  • Being targeted for an attack gives 1% EX.
  • Being targeted by ailment infliction gives 1% EX, even if the ailment is blocked.
  • Taking a hit will gives a varying amount of EX based on how much LF was lost:
  • -Less than 25% gives 1% EX.
  • -Between 25% and 50% gives 2.5% EX.
  • -Between 50% and 75% gives 5% EX.
  • -Losing over 75% LF in one hit gives 10% EX.
  • Normal attacks (except from Agent) gives 2% EX. Agent gets 1.5% on each hit, up from 1.1% per hit with Gun Trickster.
  • Skills increase EX by their own amount.
  • Mind Boosters add 2.5% EX with every attack. Every hit on a multihit attack will give this bonus.
  • NEW: You can now get a 2nd Mind Booster, these stack for a total of 5% EX per hit.
Two Mind Boosters. Two. Mind. Boosters. Being able to get 5% EX a hit, every hit is exactly as nuts as it sounds. The devs clearly agree, as Cyclone Dance actually has a hidden property that halves EX gain, otherwise two Mind Boosters would make it give 70+% EX in a single turn!

Pre-emptive attacks and Ambushes
  • There is a base 5% chance to get a pre-emptive attack.
  • If this chance doesn't succeed, and you have an Agent with Surprise Hunt, Surprise Hunt is rolled.
  • If Surprise Hunt fails, there is a 2% chance of getting ambushed.
  • If Surprise Hunt is at level 3 or above, ambushes are negated.
  • If the enemy fails to get an ambush, the battle begins normally.
  • You can only get a pre-emptive against a dragon by walking into their back, Surprise Hunt cannot override this.
  • A dragon can only get an ambush by walking into your back, Surprise Hunt at level 3 and above negates these.
  • Boss battles always start on even ground.
This is much the same as 2020, but having numbers on hand is always nice.

AUTO Skills
  • Start of battle AUTO skills have a 25% activation rate, compared to 35% in the 2020s.
  • Only one start of battle AUTO skill can activate. If multiple roll to activate, one is picked at random and the others are cancelled.
  • NEW: Mid-battle AUTO skills with a 100% activation rate, however, no longer interfere with any other mid-battle AUTO skills.
A small change, but it means stuff like Samurai's Blade of Rage can go off at the same time as any other AUTO.

EXP Scaling
If a party member is underleveled, the game will boost their EXP gains to let them catch up to the rest of the party. The scaling works by comparing the average level of all enemies in a battle against each party member, and increasing the gains of anyone that qualifies. The EXP boost tiers are:
  • 4 levels or less: 1x EXP
  • 5-9 levels below: 1.5x EXP
  • 10-19 levels below: 3x EXP
  • 20 levels below: 5x EXP
This is almost identical to 2020's tiers, (2020-II is bugged and only gives 1.2x EXP between 3 and 9 levels below, everything else gives normal EXP) with the slight change of the first boosted tier starting at 5 levels below instead of 6, making it kick in a bit sooner.

It is indirectly buffed, however, from the mere existance of the second party. In all prior 7th Dragon games, you're not really encouraged to create new party members unless you really don't like how a class ended up, so the odds of you ever noticing that EXP scaling exists, let alone taking advantage of it, are pretty much nil. Here? Team 1 is already around level 16, so Team 2 is going to start with that x3 bonus, making them shoot right up to Team 1 in a blink and giving the player far more choices in strategy with zero effort involved.

Casual Mode
The difficulty mode can be set at the start of the game, and can now be changed at any time, even in dungeons. Casual Mode slightly reduces** the stats of all enemies.

**There is one exception to this.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 12, 2023

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

I'll keep voting open for a few more days.

I'll be posting class writeups instead until normal updates resume. After that, and writeups will come out whenever I manage to finish one.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

If people are wondering about the bizarre numbers of priority, the priority of actions is more of an internal order thing. The thing is, the 7th Dragon games don't really specify how far up the priority brackets a skill is. It just says if a skill has "Instant Action" or not. That being said, some priority skills don't even get labeled as such for some reason.

It was pretty organized in DS. Worked like this:

1: Priority
2: EX Active
3: Default Speed
4: Goes Last

Guards always took place at the start of the turn if you're wondering how that factored into things.

2020 and II was where it got shuffled up. The priority brackets got reshuffled in VFD, but it's not really a buff or a nerf, more internal reordering.

2020's priority brackets:

quote:

3 (Guarding)
4 (Unused)
0 (Standard action)
5 (Unused)

II shuffled them around a bit and actually uses all the brackets now.

quote:

3 (Guarding)
0 (Standard action)

Guarding technically got buffed since it's at a higher priority bracket in VFD. In practice this is irrelevant, as only 5 enemy skills have priority in VFD, and only 1 of them deals damage. (It's a priority 7 skill, so guarding wouldn't work against it anyways. VFD basically returned to 2020's priority brackets, and just added 1 to every value.

Hoo boy, stat buffs. I have no idea what they were thinking with these, because this is definitely one of the biggest cases of the subtle kind of power creep that just has so many knock on effects.

All the 7th Dragon games work off Paper Mario styled math when it comes to damage. So attack - defense = damage. Simple as that, just on a bigger scale. So affecting stats directly instead of the final damage makes the data look deceptively small.

A 30% boost to your final damage will always be a 30% boost, that can't change. But a 30% boost to the attack stat will only be a 30% final damage boost at worst (As in your target has literally 0 defense. Which no enemy has so uh.) This is why equipment upgrades are utterly vital in the 7th Dragon series since it tips the internal math so much in your favor, and should be the 2nd thing you prioritize Dz for when upgrading the central facility in each game. (The first is obviously new skill tiers). VFD making it so that stats are directly affected makes attack buffs such fantastic wallbreakers too.

Funnily enough, that is how buffs worked in DS. But the main difference is that the numbers were much smaller back then. Most skills only dealt 2x damage at max level, with the one dealing 5x damage being considered super strong by that game's standards. 2020 onwards just hands out 5x+ damage skills like candy, but the game changed buffs to only affect the final damage. And now this allows for sheer ridiculous damage outputs you couldn't really see in the previous games due to their more restrained internal math. Oh and defense buffs can actually reduce damage to basically nothing. Goddamn.

Of course this is far from the only instance of power creep, as VFD makes a bunch of other decisions that would make the previous games blush, but this is definitely one of the bigger ones.

Items have priority. Yeah this makes them completely safe to use, because again, most enemy skills don't have priority, so you can't get outsped ever again. Only 1 damaging enemy skill can out-prioritize items, and that's because of the mechanics of said skill.

Skills can crit. Skills can crit. Yeah sure randomly give players a 50% damage boost, thanks. Especially on big nuking attacks. I mean enemies critting kinda sucks, but it doesn't happen too often, and some enemy skills are actually banned from critting. Namely big attacks from bosses.

Guarding is a funny one. It actually had the effect of reducing ailment chances in DS, but it was way weaker there. (10% reduction instead of 50%). And the effects against magic attacks was 30% instead of a universal 50% reduction.

Hack Weakness used to be 1.5x, but it triggered only when striking a weakness or dealing a critical hit. Which kind of demanded specific team compositions back in 2020. 2020-II gave Hackers the TROY skills to let Hackers inflict Hack Weakness without having to need specific party members. And then VFD buffed the drat things up to 2.2x for some reason.

Exhaust is pretty strong and does so much for you. That being said, the Agent's exhaust gain on regular attacks has a 25% penalty. (Which is better than the 45% penalty that Gun Tricksters had back in the 2020s.) Building it up is slow unless you know how to speed it up, which is another thing the games don't tell you. If you're trying to farm for EX, knowing which skills grant a lot of it is pretty vital. EX actually works on a X out of 10,000 system, where getting 10,000 points grants you a full meter. But I simplified it to a percent that goes to 2 decimal places to make it easier to visualize (250 points -> 2.5% EX gain). Also holy gently caress why does the game give you a 2nd Mind Booster? :psyboom:

It's ridiculous how VFD slams the game balance in the player's favor. This is pretty much one of the easiest 7th Dragon games just because it's so easy to dominate the enemies. And we haven't even seen the skills yet.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Araxxor posted:

Hack Weakness used to be 1.5x, but it triggered only when striking a weakness or dealing a critical hit. Which kind of demanded specific team compositions back in 2020. 2020-II gave Hackers the TROY skills to let Hackers inflict Hack Weakness without having to need specific party members. And then VFD buffed the drat things up to 2.2x for some reason.

My guess is that the intent was that due to Hack Weakness no longer getting applied from weakness/crits, the bump from 1.5x to 2.2x is to compensate for the Agent having to spend a turn to set it up or else it'd math out as being more effective to just use Hack twice rather than TROY -> Hack. In practice it just means you can stack TROY with EX and land a hack pretty much without fail.

The real ??? thing is Hack Weakness specifically being weaker if applied by an Agent's Buddy Skill, as you physically cannot make use of it if you only have a single Agent.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

God Hand: Dragon kick your rear end into the Milky Way.

The Destroyer in 2020 was a cross between a dedicated damage dealer and a tank, having both heavy hits and the ability to draw attacks with Counter Stance. The God Hand keeps many of the same moves, but also throws in a number of support options to help make up for the fact that there's no dedicated healer class in the starting lineup.

Stats

God Hands are bulky and durable, being tied in 1st for LF and 2nd for DEF, plus above average MDF. Their MAT is also surprisingly high for a non-magical class, although they only have a single skill that makes use of it. The downsides are that their ATK, while high, is actually the 2nd lowest of all the physical classes, and they're tied for 2nd lowest MN and SPD.

The God Hand's main gimmick is that most of their attacks inflict G-Depth on whoever they hit. G-Depth is required for their stronger moves, stacks up to 3 times, and has a base duration of 3 turns. The duration resets to 3 every time a new stack is inflicted.

A main change from Destroyer to God Hand is that they can no longer inflict G-Depth with their normal attacks, unless they use their God Charge self-buff.

Tier 1 Skills

LIFE Bonus

MANA Bonus

These are generic passives that everyone has, so I'm only going over them once. You got spare SP? Toss it in here! Every class wants more juice!

Jab

Deals melee ATK-based damage to one enemy. Inflicts 1 stack of G-Depth on the target. Inflicts 2 stacks of G-Depth at level 5. Has priority.

Changes from 2020-II: Now has priority. Can inflict 2 stacks of G-Depth when maxed.

Do you want to use your fancy moves? Get used to Jab. The damage it deals will quickly fall off, but sticking the enemy with two stacks once it hits level 5 will keep it useful forever.

Front Punch

Requires that the target have at least 1 stack of G-Depth to use. Has a chance to inflict 1 stack of G-Depth. At level 5, no longer requires G-Depth to use and will always inflict 1 stack of G-Depth. Deals melee ATK-based damage to one enemy.

Changes from 2020-II: Now loses G-Depth requirement when maxed.

Front Punch is a fun little skill that develops a new niche over time. Early on, it'll be your basic damage dealing skill once you land that first Jab. Once you max it out, however, you get a sidegrade to Jab that trades the extra G-Depth stack for more up-front damage for when you know a fight won't go beyond turn 1.

The strange thing is that Front Punch is the only skill that requires 1 G-Depth, making a single stack entirely useless once this hits level 5.

Quartetto

Requires that the target have at least 2 stacks of G-Depth to use. Deals melee ATK-based damage to one enemy that increases based on G-Depth. Damage is multiplied by 1x for 0 G-Depth, 1.1x for 1 G-Depth, 1.25x for 2 G-Depth, and 1.5x for 3 G-Depth. Removes all G-Depth after use.

Changes from 2020-II: Max damage at level 10 increased from 7.5x to 8.7x.

Oh baby now we're talking! A God Hand's only way to manually reset G-Depth, you'll be wanting to pop this off whenever G-Depth is about to fall off for some extra hurt.

You may be wondering why it has numbers for 0 and 1 G-Depth when it needs 2 to use, and that's just for the edge case where you have multiple God Hands that all target the same enemy. First one land Quartetto and clears it, second one is still able to use their own Quartetto even though the target now has 0 G-Depth.

This is also our first look at VFD buffing things compared to the 2020s. It isn't much, but that extra 1.2x will add up over the course of the game.

Double Hook

Requires that the target have at least 2 stacks of G-Depth to use. Deals melee ATK-based damage to one enemy. Reduces target's ATK and MAT for a set amount of turns. Has a chance to inflict 1 stack of G-Depth.

Changes from 2020-II: Damage at level 5 increased from 5x to 6x.

Spinning Edge

Requires that the target have at least 2 stacks of G-Depth to use. Deals melee ATK-based damage to one enemy. Reduces target's DEF and MDF for a set amount of turns. Has a chance to inflict 1 stack of G-Depth.

Changes from 2020-II: Damage at level 5 increased from 5x to 6x. Speed Multiplier increased from 1x to 1.3x.

I've already gone over just how bonkers stat changes in VFD are, and God Hand having all of them on hand gives them a lot of influence in a fight. And then the devs made these moves hit a bit harder for good measure!

Ambush Stance

Increases the user's chance of being targeted by enemies for the rest of the turn. When the user is targeted by an enemy, they will deal melee ATK-based damage to the enemy. Each counterattack has a chance to inflict 1 stack of G-Depth. Has priority.

Changes from 2020-II: Now costs 2 MN at all levels, up from 0 for levels 1-5 and down from 3 for levels 6-10.

In 2020, Destroyers had Counter Stance as a free, low damage counter and Hard Target to deal more damage and build up D-Depth at the cost of some MN. 2020-II combined the two and had Counter Stance start off free then ramp up in cost and damage in later levels.

In VFD, they decided to split the difference and have it always cost Mana, but slightly less than Hard Target did. Its still a good skill that lets you take your enemy's attacks and turn them into your own, but you can't spam it through an entire dungeon without burning through your MN anymore.

Anti-Ailment

Increases the user's chance of being targeted by enemies for the rest of the turn. When the user is targeted by an ailment inflicting attack, they will deal melee ATK-based damage to the enemy and attempt to nullify the ailment. Has priority.

Changes from 2020-II: Damage decreased from 5.5x to 2.8x.

Destroyers also had an entire set of counter moves that keyed off of specific animations on an enemy's attack, and this is all that's left of that whole system. And as for what we have...

Why did they cut the damage by so much? Why does this have 0 base chance to inflict G-Depth when Ambush Stance does? You can still use it to skip around ailments, mind, but your God Hand won't be doing much else that turn.

Chiropractic

Restores LIFE for one target. Healing is equal to Base Heal + (MAT / 10). Can be used out of battle. Has priority.

Detox

Cure ailments. Ailments that can be cured are dependant on skill level. Can be used when not in battle.

CPR

Revives one party member. Can be used when not in battle. Healing does not scale with MAT.

Now, I can see what they were going for with these three skills. There aren't any healers in the Tokyo classes, so slap something in to tide players over until something better comes up. But they're all undercut by the God Hand being a bad fit for these kinds of skills, plus some underlying mechanical changes.

Chiropractic as it stands is a decent heal, further bolstered by a God Hand's surprisingly hefty MAT. But their offensive skills are fairly MN heavy, so you can't really afford to spare any when an item would do. Having priority would have given it a niche as a panic button back in the 2020s, but that's undercut by items having priority by default in VFD.

Detox needs three levels to cover everything, four to actually have priority, (which makes it much slower than slinging an item until then, especially when backed by a God Hand's low SPD) is more expensive than Chiropractic until you max it out, and can never target the full party. Early game enemies don't really do multiple ailments, and by the time they do you can just toss a Somanel to clear everything on the spot.

CPR gets the worst of it, however, as it never gets priority, making it impossible to revive someone and then heal them up in the same turn, as the heal would go off long before CPR can. You could technically give it priority by burning EX, but why would you ever waste it on that?

Skip these, items are much better in VFD anyways.

God Charge

Increases the user's ATK for a set number of turns. Also increases base chance to inflict G-Depth for all relevant attacks by 200% for the rest of the battle.

Hey look, a buff to go with those tasty debuffs! Hit this whenever it looks like a fight will last longer than a turn or two.

Tier 2 Skills

Drill Crawler

Requires that the target have 3 stacks of G-Depth to use. Deals melee ATK-based damage to one enemy and heals user for a portion of the damage dealt.

Changes from 2020-II: Damage increased from 6x to 8x. Healing is no longer capped.

A God Hand's first dedicated G3 skill, Drill Crawler lets a God Hand stay standing no matter how hard they get hit, plus that whopping 2x boost to damage both makes them hit that much harder, and heal that much more. And as icing on the cake, 2020-II put a hard cap on how much skills like this could heal. They walked this back for VFD, making God Hands significantly tankier. Watch the MN cost, though, it'll run them dry in a blink.

ATK Acupressure

Increases one party member's ATK and MAT for a set number of turns. Has priority.

If God Hand being able to buff themselves wasn't good enough, they can also buff everyone else!

However, before you get any bright ideas, VFD only allows a single buff of each type on a target, so you can't try something like stack this with God Charge to really supercharge your damage. God Charge itself also gives a higher buff, so this skill is pointless to use on the God Hand, but it is great for any party members that lack an attack buff of their own like Agent or Duelist.

DEF Acupressure

Increases one party member's DEF and MDF for a set number of turns. Reduces ailment susceptibility for the target. Has priority.

A God Hand can use this on themselves, however! Throw this on, pop God Charge and Ambush Stance, and laugh as dragons break themselves against the God Hand's iron body. Cutting the odds of any ailment landing in half is gravy.

SPD Acupressure

Increases one party member's SPD and Evasion for a set number of turns. Has priority.

Rounding off the buff trio, SPD Acupressure... exists? It helps patch up a God Hand's middling speed, I guess, but most of their skills either have priority (Jab, Quartetto, the counter moves) or actively want to go last. (Drill Crawler) The only real use I can see for the SPD buff is if you really want one of their debuff punches to land before a big damage dealer.

The Evasion boost can help boost a weaker unit's durability, at least.

Pre-emptive God

The user has a chance to deal melee ATK-based damage to all enemies and inflict 1 G-Depth at the start of battle.

Who doesn't like free damage?

God React

For a set amount of turns, the user has a chance to gain an extra turn whenever they inflict a stack of G-Depth.

Changes from 2020: React chance reduced from 70% to 60%.

Changes from 2020-II: React chance increased from 40% to 60%.

One of the Destroyer's main drawbacks in 2020 was that they had no way to manually clear D-Depth stacks, so Destroy React was balanced around the fact that once an enemy hit D3, you couldn't get another React for several turns until it fell off. 2020-II added in Earth Breaker to reset D-Depth, so they heavily nerfed their React chances to stop you from easily going attack -> attack -> attack -> clear every single turn.

VFD splits the difference, making God React much more consistant than 2020-II, while still not reaching the heights of 2020. Its a good skill.

Tier 3 Skills

Coup De Grace

Requires that the target have 3 stacks of G-Depth to use. Deals melee ATK-based damage to one enemy. Damage is increased based on how many ailments are on the target. The damage multiplier is 1 + (0.2 * Number of Ailments). The ailments are not dispelled after use.

Changes from 2020-II: Base damage increased from 3x to 7.55x. Hack Weakness, G-Depth, Stun, and Null Action now count as ailments for this skill.

Here, have double damage with zero drawbacks! That base damage is also a bit misleading, as that G3 needed to use it in the first place boosts it to 9x damage. The God Hand alone can only inflict two kinds of ailment, G-Depth in general and Null Action on their EX Skill, so this is definitely a skill that you need to build around if you want to maximize damage, but its still the strongest move in their kit even with just one ailment on.

For funsies, if you were to somehow stick a single enemy with Sleep, Curse, Blind, Paralysis, Downer, Bleed, Poison, Burn, Freeze, Hack Weakness, G-Depth, Stun, and Null Action, all at once, Coup de Grace would hit a 3.6x multiplier for a completely monstrous 27.18x damage. Buuuut actually landing that many ailments before some start falling off would be kinda impossible. :v:

The Final Flame

If the user takes fatal damage, they have a chance to not die and have their LIFE restored to a certain value. As the user does not die, buffs are not lost, and counterattacks will still fire, but any skills that trigger on a party member dying will not activate.

An interesting sidegrade to 2020's Death's Door. The Final Flame is a constantly active passive, so it can activate an unlimited number of times per turn, but in exchange you're gambling on a 30% chance with every death. Rage Bomber got shuffled off to another class, so you can level this up to max without worrying about losing that 1 LF status.

Stardust Press

When the user takes damage, they have a chance to deal melee ATK-based damage to a random enemy at the end of the turn. This included Poison and Bleed damage. Cannot trigger God React, as the counterattack happens at the end of the turn.

Again, who doesn't like free damage?

EX Skill

Earth Breaker

Deals melee ATK-based damage to one enemy. Has a chance to inflict Null Action.

Changes from 2020-II: Base damage increased from 13x to 22x. Inflicts Null Action instead of G-Depth.

22x base damage.

22x base damage. Nearly double the damage of Destroyer's Super EX in 2020-II. That is a ludicrous damage boost, and inflicting Null Action just makes it better!

See, 7th Dragon handles ailment resistances by giving an enemy a resistance between 1 and 0, then multiplying the infliction rate by that for the actual chance to land it. Regular dragons usually have a Null Action multiplier of 0.55, which gives Earth Breaker a 99% chance of stopping them cold for three turns! Not even the True Dragons go beyond a 0.4 multiplier, which still gives a 72% chance of landing!

This is what I mean by power creep! It deals nearly twice the damage, and can reliably shut down practically every enemy in the game! With this level of escalation with the player's power levels, there's no feasible way to make the game actually hard, short of ramping up numbers until using all the broken poo poo becomes mandatory to squeak out a win.

Team Skills

Charge Time: 2 turns

Buddy

Deals 1.5x melee ATK-based damage to the target, and heals buddy for 20% of the damage dealt

The damage is slightly worse than a Jab, but hey, free healing is always nice.

Support

Heals the party for 35% of their maximum LIFE.

A heal that automatically scales and doesn't take one of your frontliner's actions is also nice.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 8, 2022

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

I'm also calling the vote here.

Say hello to Unit 13's 2nd Team!

Proper updates will resume next Thursday.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
A few oversights in the write-up, and in the time it took me to read this one of them was already fixed. :v:

Looks like Ambush Stance and Anti-Ailment have an extra "user is" in the second sentence.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

G-Depth works little differently on a mechanical level in VFD. Destroyers had D-Depth, which was basically the same thing. Just a different name. The Destroyers had an innate passive that gave them the ability to inflict D-Depth on all attacks, not just their regular ones. This has a base chance of 100%, but most enemies resisted it, so this wasn't guaranteed. Skills that were flagged as being able to inflict D-Depth were guaranteed to do so though, even on immune enemies.

In VFD, this is different. They decoupled the passive from the class itself, and stuck it on their fist weapons instead. And set the infliction rates to 0%. I guess at some point they thought being able to inflict G-Depth randomly was too much? G-Depth functions differently in that it can't pierce immunities anymore. Not that it matters, as nothing in VFD is immune to it. So the way they handled G-Depth was that RNG instances of it were set to a 100% infliction rate, and guaranteed instances were set to 200%, as no enemy goes below a G-Depth multiplier of 0.5x.

God Hands are pretty strong units and are pretty similar to Destroyers. The nutso part is, Destroyers were considered the most broken class in 2020. In VFD? God Hands are good but not really top of the pack. They out power crept what used to be considered the most broken class in the game. Which is saying something when God Hands are still really loving strong.

Depending on how you view things, Jab could be considered a bit of a nerf. Destroyers actually had a skill known as Mach Drop, which was guaranteed to inflict 2 D-Depth and also dealt 3.5x damage at max level. VFD essentially combined the two skills, but left it with Jab's weaker damage.

Front Punch no longer having a Depth requirement? Yeah that's just a straight buff.

Quartetto was much weaker in 2020-II. (The fan translation calls it Earth Breaker, but the name is really Land Crusher. So it's not a regular skill turning into an EX skill.) The multipliers were 1/1.1/1.4/2 for the D-Depth levels... but the damage started off at 1.5x at level 1 and 3.75x at level 10. Yeah they made this thing a lot stronger, it's nuts.

I'm not sure why Anti-Ailment got such a huge nerf. It certainly wasn't that widely used in the 2020s.

Drill Crawler is. Oh god where do I even begin with this one? Drill Crawler was a tier 4 skill in the 2020s, so you got it at the very end of the game. It did 6x to 7x damage in 2020. Which got nerfed down to 5x to 6x damage in 2020-II. VFD not only undid that nerf, it made it stronger than it was in 2020! Oh and you have access to it way earlier since it's tier 2 now!

VFD decided to add more support aspects to the God Hand, likely cause you don't have a healing class otherwise and they were the only candidate left. Destroyer was pretty much a straight up damage dealer, so they didn't have access to healing, nor the ally targetable buffs. Honestly they're not great healers. Alright for earlygame I suppose. Their buffs on the other hand are more useful. The debuff punches are also great as well.

Coup De Grace was frankly, kind of awful in 2020-II. Damage was a lot lower, and D-Depth didn't count as a legal ailment for it. Now pretty much every ailment does. (2020-II had a few cases where certain ailments didn't count due to them forgetting to flag them properly.) By the way, G-Depth always counts as 1 ailment, no matter how much of it is on the target.

Hoo boy EX skills. In DS they were either good or kind of bad or outright terrible. 2020s buffed up to kind of ridiculous degrees. Powerful, and possibly turning the tides of the fight in your favor. VFD just made them outright "I win" buttons. They're just so loving broken and make every single fight a joke. 33x damage, and extremely high chances of just loving locking a boss out of 3 turns. What the gently caress? And very few enemies are outright immmune to it. 72% chance of working is as low as it goes!

This is somehow not even the most broken thing in the game. That alone should speak volumes about VFD's balance, because this would utterly shatter any of the previous games.

Incidentally, Earth Breaker is likely a callback to the DS game, where the same EX skill existed. A maid, like the God Hand portraits, taught you this skill for the Healer, giving a support class a powerful attack. Though it's far less... game breaking than this incarnation. (Doesn't inflict anything, and damage is just 1.6x. But it adds +50 to the Healer's ATK stat.)

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

BisbyWorl posted:

Say hello to Unit 13's 2nd Team!

Look at her, look at just how happy she is to be here! :)

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Samurai: Two swords are better than one.

7th Dragon's poster child ever since the 2020s, Samurai branches out by introducing a new weapon type they can choose from. Single sword has them play much the same as their 2020 counterparts with a Sheathed/Unsheathed stance system, but the new Dual Blades took most of their elemental skills and added some new toys of their own.

Stats

Samurais, being the de facto face of the series, naturally have a lot of good stats, but not the best in any. They're second for LF, MN, ATK, and DEF, but have low MAT and MDF and middling SPD to balance it out.

Tier 1 Skills

Whirlwind

Unsheathed skill. Deals multiple hits of melee ATK-based damage to random enemies.

The same random target multi-hit move Samurais have always had. Its unreliable in big fights, but still works great against Dragonsbane Seeds. Shame Dual Blades have something even better for that job in their kit.

Power Bolt Drop

Unsheathed skill. Attacks one enemy with melee ATK-based damage and a chance to inflict Bleed.

Changes from 2020-II: Base Bleed damage reduced from 103 to 100.

This was a Tier 3 skill in 2020, and the damage it deals is (almost) entirely unchanged. I guess they wanted the Bleed to be a nice, even 100?

Aerial Slash

Dual Blade skill. Hits one enemy with melee ATK-based aerial damage.

If someone's feet are off the ground, odds are they're weak to aerial damage. This gives Aerial Slash a boatload of targets it'll be effective against.

Maple Tear

Dual Blade skill. Hits one enemy with melee ATK-based fire damage and a chance to inflict Burn. Damage of Samurai's normal attacks are changed to Fire for 4 turns. All Samurai skills are treated as Fire damage for 4 turns. (but does not change their actual damage type)

Changes from 2020-II: Burn damage increased from 71 to 141. Now adds elemental effect to all attacks.

A running trend in VFD is attacks having vastly increased DoT damage. That elemental change also gives a Samurai a lot of synergy with an Agent, as it lets all their skills proc TROY: Fire and add in a good chunk of damage.

Cyclone Dance

Dual Blade skill. Deals multiple hits of melee ATK-based damage to random enemies.

And just like that, Whirlwind is invalid. 14 hits just shreds Seeds, but beyond that there are better things to use against normal enemies.

It also has a hidden modifier that halves the effect of Mind Boosters, just to stop you from slapping both on and being able go from 0 to 100 in a single move.

Invigorate

Heals the user. Cures all status ailments starting at Level 5. Has priority.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Items have priority, so just save the SP and invest it into things that will kill the enemy faster.

Red Flame Exhale

Places a buff on the user that increases their ATK every turn for 10 turns.

Changes from 2020-II: Data misalignment bug fixed. Damage ramps up significantly faster.

The buff calculation changes, plus this skill no longer having a dead turn, change Red Flame Exhale to something you toss in during boss fights to something that can actually see frequent use. Starting with a bonus 16% ATK is nuts, and it'll get even better once you realize that this skill isn't treated like a normal attack buff, letting you stack another one for even higher damage.

Black Steel Exhale

Places a buff on the user that increases their DEF every turn for 10 turns.

Changes from 2020-II: Max values increased from an 18% buff to 20%.

Likewise, this one is also useful. Makes your Samurai a little bit tankier, while also killing time to let Red Flame's buff get up to speed.

Blade of Rage

When an ally dies to an enemy attack, the user attacks the enemy responsible at the end of the turn. Death from ailment damage does not activate this skill. Is not affected by, and will not use up, Solid Stance.

There are a few classes (*coughruneknightcough*) that like to play very risky, and teaming them up with a Samurai gives you some extra free damage every time the odds don't land in their favor.

Tier 2 Skills

Garuda Whirlwind

Unsheathed skill. Hits all enemies with melee ATK-based damage.

Changes from 2020-II: Max damage increased from 1.95x to 2.95x.

This was an endgame skill in the 2020s, and the pitiful damage output combined with late availability made it a waste to invest in. Now, you get it fairly early, and it actually hits hard enough to be worth a drat.

Destructive Sweep

Sheathed skill. Hits one enemy with melee ATK-based damage. Attempts to inflict a debuff that increases the chance of status ailments landing.

Changes from 2020-II: Odds of debuff landing have been reduced from guaranteed to 75%.

One of VFD's rare nerfs! What, were status effects too strong for the devs to leave this untouched?*

*The very existance of God Hand's EX Skill says yes.

Windy Canopy

Dual Blade skill. The user prepares to attack at the start of the turn. Any time an ally uses a Fire, Ice, or Lightning MAT-based attack, the Samurai will follow up with a melee ATK-based attack of the same element. Does not activate on TROY or counterhits. The damage dealt depends if the skill used was single target or AOE.

Changes from 2020-II: EX gain from AOE hits increased from 1.5% to 5%.

Do you have someone who can throw out elemental attacks? Well now you can take greater advantage over any weaknesses an enemy may have!

Another indirect buff, as there was a chance you could choose a party in the 2020s that had no valid partner for Woodwind Duet, rendering the skill entirely useless, but the multiple party system in VFD means that you'll have to go out of your way to not have someone to use this with.

Hidden Shadow

Dual Blade skill. Hits one enemy with melee ATK-based damage with a chance to inflict Stun. Has priority.

Changes from 2020-II: Damage increased from 3.5x to 5x.

Stun was a niche status in 2020, and Freeze's buff makes it even worse. It has priority, I guess?

Fighting Spirit

At the start of battle, the user has a chance to inflict melee ATK-based damage to all enemies.

Free. Damage.

Sheathed Stance

Unsheathed skill. Hits one enemy with melee ATK-based damage and switches user to Sheathed stance. Has a 100% chance to inflict a DEF/MDF debuff starting at level 4.

Changes from 2020-II: Damage increased from 2x to 2.5x. Now inflicts a DEF/MDF debuff.

Unsheathed Stance

Sheathed skill. Hits one enemy with melee ATK-based damage and switches user to Unsheathed stance. Has a 100% chance to inflict a ATK/MAT debuff starting at level 4.

Changes from 2020-II: Damage increased from 2.3x to 2.5x. Now inflicts an ATK/MAT debuff.

I really like this change to Samurai! Before, you mostly just picked a stance and sunk everything into it, but adding debuffs gives an actual reason to swap mid-battle! Sheathed Stance's defense debuff also lines up nicely with the stance having harder hitting attacks.

Jinka React

Places a buff on the user. Whenever the user loses a portion of their LIFE in a single hit, they have a 100% chance to gain an extra turn.

Changes from 2020-II: Activation threshold lowered from 30% LF lost to 15% LF lost.

30% LF was fairly easy to hit in 2020 with how much damage bosses do, but there are still a number of times where setting Pain React off could be somewhat inconsistent.

15%, on the other hand? That's trivial! An angry look can deal 15% damage. Jinka React is a straight up guaranteed free turn every time something pokes the Samurai. But wait, it gets better!

Moon Stance

Places a buff on the user that increases their ATK and target rate for 3 turns.

Because you can follow up with this to make enemies hit exactly who you want! You lose an extra 5% target rate over God Hand's Ambush Stance, but in exchange it lasts for multiple turns and stacks with Red Flame Exhale, as they're classified as different types of buffs!

Tier 3 Skills

Serpent Thrust

Unsheathed skill. Hits one enemy with melee ATK-based damage.

Sixteen Hand Slash

Sheathed skill. Hits one enemy with melee ATK-based damage.

Changes from 2020-II: Damage increased from 6x to 6.5x.

These two are effectively the same skill, although Sixteen Hand Slash's minor buff gives it a bit more of a lead from Serpent Thrust.

Poplar Admiral

Hits one enemy with melee ATK-based damage. If the attack kills the target, a random enemy on the field will take damage equal to 36% of how much the initial target was overkilled.

Poplar Admiral, meanwhile, exists between the other two capstone attacks. The splash damage effect... exists, I guess? Like if you happen to have two enemies on the verge of death I guess you could get a double kill, but killing a healthy enemy in one hit means the splash will be nonexistant, and it has no impact on boss fights where there's only one target to hit.

Focus Breathing

Places a buff on the party that increases current and maximum LIFE.

Changes from 2020-II: Now increases current LF, even if target was already damaged.

The change makes it a bit better than 2020's Regulated Breath, but it boosts the threshold needed for Jinka React, and a damage dealer like the Samurai would be better off actually killing enemies instead.

Solid Stance

Increases the user's ATK and infliction rates on their next attack.

Changes from 2020-II: MN cost increased from 7 to 20. Infliction multiplier reduced from 1.75x to 1.7x.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeey, remember that math example I used in the mechanics post? Well using this with that 250 ATK vs 150 DEF turns it into (250*2.5) - 150 for 475 damage.

And that's before you throw in Red Flame Exhale.

And Moon Stance.

And DEF debuffs (which Samurai just got, what are the odds!)

And EX.

Samurai can hit some disgusting damage numbers once they have a chance to buff up, and the devs were right to jack up the cost of Solid Stance to try and keep things under control.

I mean, they didn't do nearly enough to reign it in, but it's the thought that counts, you know?

EX Skills

Earth Splitter

Single Blade skill. Hits all enemies with melee ATK-based damage and a chance to inflict Bleed.

Changes from 2020-II: Base infliction chance increased from 60% to 100%. Base Bleed damage increased from 63 to 243.

Fallen Blossoms

Dual Blade skill. Hits one enemy with melee ATK-based damage.

Changes from 2020-II: Damage increased from 8x to 9.5x.

The numbers on both of these are a fair bit lower than God Hand's, but keep in mind that there's nothing stopping you from stacking all those meaty attack buffs and utterly eviscerating anything in your path.

The Bleed buff on Earth Splitter is also :stare:, as it effectively gives an extra 1000 damage if it sticks.

Team Skills

Charge Time: 2 turns

Buddy

Hits one enemy for 1.5x melee ATK-based damage and a 100% chance to reduce ATK by 20% for 2 turns.

Cutting ATK by a full 20% is good. Doubly so if the very buff you used this to break was also an ATK buff, just to really rub it in. Not as useful against MAT-focused enemies, obviously.

Support

Increases the team's ATK by 1.2x for 1 turn.

This one also needs a bit of team consideration. Agents and God Hands can get a lot from this, but Duelists, Rune Knights, and Fortuners get nothing.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jul 12, 2022

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ah Samurai. Pretty much the standard fighting class that can fit into most parties safely. While they were in DS, the Fighter was the one that really took that role. Samurai basically functioned like Ronin do in Etrian Odyssey.

The dual swords is a new thing to this game, and pretty much makes Samurai like 2 separate classes in 1. In fact they're the only class to have 2 EX skills, each of which are limited to a specific weapon type, which pretty much supports this. They're pretty much the goto class to double up on when the time comes as a result.

Unsheathed Stance is the default for the single sword. It's pretty much worse than the Sheathed Stance skills, though you can't go into Sheathed Stance during the earlygame. Stances are permanent and last until you change stances, so no need to worry about "refreshing them" or anything.

Sheathed Stance skills are generally better, but you have to sacrifice a turn to go into it, where Unsheathed skills have the benefit of being able to use them from the get-go. Up to you on which you prefer.

Dual Blade is a unique beast and pretty much its own thing. This one is more of a jack of all trades that can cover lots of different situations. And also yoinked a bunch of the great skills from Sheathed Stance in the previous games.

Bleeds deal more damage the longer it's on the victim, but the effects are a bit diminishing. The first hit deals the bleed damage, the 2nd hit deals 1.2x of the bleed damage, the 3rd hit deals 1.24x damage, the 4th hit deals 1.248x damage, and the 5th hit deals 1.2496x damage. No bleed goes past 5 turns in this game.

I'm not sure why VFD made DOT ailments more powerful, but it's a lot of outgoing damage, especially that early, that's for sure.

Cyclone Dance is pretty much the Seed killer, but it unfortunately halves its own EX gain as well, not just Mind Boosters. Whirlwind is better at building up EX though since it doesn't have the penalty.

The buff over time skills are. Hoo boy. In all the previous games, they were frankly crap. The effects were minimal until the skill was close to expiring. They worked differently in previous games too. The power actually gradually increased over the course of several turns (10 in the 2020s, 30 in DS.) And once the buffs wore off, so did any of the attack or defense boosts.

And those were the attack and defense buffs in the 2020s. They only affected final damage and their effects were slow to build up. They weren't worth using. VFD had them buff stats directly, and actually just waits until specific turns to increase the stats further instead of being a gradual increase like in the previous games.

Debuffs don't have resistances to deal with, so Destructive Sweep will always have a 75% chance to land at max level.

Windy Canopy is basically a chaser skill from EO, but it only worked with Psychics and Idols (the latter of which were only in 2020-II.) It can be very hefty with the right party.

I'll agree with the changes to the stance swapping skills and say that I really love the buffs they gave them. While swapping from Unsheathed to Sheathed had a valid use case, there was frankly no reason to swap from Sheathed to Unsheathed, because Unsheathed had the worse skills. Now the debuffs give an actual reason to swap stances around if you need to, giving an actual use case for these skills which weren't in the 2020s. It's easily my favorite change in VFD, as it gives life to a playstyle and those mechanics without going outright into UNGA BUNGA territory like so many other changes are. It's actually a pretty thoughtful change that genuinely adds more.

Focus Breathing does give your party more defense if you need it, so I wouldn't entirely count it out. Especially since some things later on in the game can just hit hard. That being said, LIFE is capped at 500 no matter what. So if your party is close to that, this skill won't do much.

Oh boy. Solid Stance. If you thought charge skills in Etrian Odyssey 3 were overpowered, this thing makes them loving blush! The fact they affect ATK directly this time actually means the damage is only 2.5x at worst! In the 2020s, yeah that's 2.5x the final damage, which equates to a 25% damage boost. Which is still great! But 2.5x the ATK stat? That makes Samurai fantastic wallbreakers as using this can quadruple or even quintuple their damage output! If you are the kind of player that is looking to win at all costs or even shatter the game into teeny tiny atoms, the only reasons not to use this skill are because of the mana costs (which there are plenty of ways to deal with) or that this strategy would be too slow for your team. Yes, I know exactly what I said.

The EX skills funnily enough, barely got touched. Aside from Earth Splitter having its Bleed damage jacked up. The actual damage isn't too much higher than before. Though that's likely because Solid Stance already loving shatters the game into pieces and yes it stacks with these! If you want to hit for around 60x to 70x damage, go right ahead!

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 12, 2022

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I imagine the Samurai was made into effectively two distinct classes to make up for the Trickster (which in the 2020 games was the one with two different weapons and playstyles) having been folded into the Agent. Seems the devs like the idea of a class having two significantly different playstyles. Well, there's a second possible explanation (and a more likely one at that), but it'll have to wait until later.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XIV - Featuring: New faces

First, we have a bit of cutscene that I skipped over last time.

They might drag you down at first, but they'll catch on quick. I promise.

*nods*

Preliminary research gave us a general idea of the topography. The forge seems to be up ahead through this mine shaft.

It's basically become a breeding ground for monsters because of the High Dragon. If you let your guard down for even a second, you won't make it through to the forge.

*nods*

Music: Endless Attack Cycle

Grr...! They're here again!?

Lookout Girl: Th-There's a large group of monsters coming out of the west passage!

Blockade the surrounding area immediately!

Lookout Girl: Yes, Sir!

Let's go everyone!

Militiamen: Sir!

Chief Toglau: These travelers from a foreign land... Are they our saviors? Or maybe...

And to go with our new classes, we have a new tier of items to get them some better gear.

Now get out there and take the initiative back from those ISDF bitches!

Also Nagamimi is here.

Due to the wonders of LP recording, we will not be getting Team 2 here.

We'll be doing that at home instead.

Say hello to Team 2!

The backrow teams will show up on the touch screen while in the menu.

And if I do as the game says and press X...

I can swap between teams whenever I want!

Only between full teams, mind. If I wanted to swap someone from Team 1 to Team 2 I'll have to head to a Terminal.

Look at them go!

A small perk with the Atlantis classes is that their default gear is on par with what we have now, so you don't have to deal with outdated gear from the word go.

Aiden will still need a quick shopping trip, however.

Now, I could just stick Team 2 in the back and push into Cladeon.

But I left the grinding DLC open for a reason.

I can give the new team some easy levels and SP, so I can use them the moment we go back!

...did the devs really put a fixed encounter behind where you first spawn them in? Wow that is rude.

Figures Team 2 starts with a big crowd.

Rune Knights start with two elemental attacks, a taunt that lasts for several turns but has no counter attached, a full party heal, a party MDF buff, and a self-buff for their own LF.

Agents start with an accurate gun attack, a hack that makes enemies hit their allies and themselves, a hack that restores the party's MN, the Hack itself, an item booster, and a self-buff that reduces the odds they get targeted for attacks and boosts their crit rate.

Finally, Fortuners start with two moves that inflict Sleep and Bleed, two moves that hit everyone with a certain set of ailments on and heal the Fortuner, and a generic party defense buff.

Fights like this are a bit rough at level 1, but that'll fix itself soon enough.

The party gets a bit dinged up.

But hopefully Provoke fixes that.

oh god even her model is terrifying

Now, you may be wondering why I don't just have Team 1 deal with this.

Because the backrow gets full rewards, and I already said I don't want them to get too powerful compared to what the game expects. The game forces you to make a leader for Team 2 the moment you unlock it, so I had to make Temp 3: The Original Temp anyways.

Also, Aria is doing a lovely job at showcasing a Fortuner's durability!

Anyways, Buddy attacks:

Whoever's action is being selected the moment you select a Buddy skill will have it tied to their turn.

When they go, the Buddy skill activates.

This happens on any action, even supporting ones, so if you really want to hit someone fast to break a buff you could guard or use an item to take advantage of their inherent priority.

I only managed to kill one seed, everything else ran.

On the plus side, Aria gained a level for that fight, reviving her for free.

Even this early on, getting 400 SP a kill isn't really doing much.

Anyways, Rune Knight's can learn Substitute, a strange move that lets them redirect single target attacks towards themselves, and a pre-battle AUTO skill that buffs MDF.

Agents get two new offensive moves for their guns, both TROYs inflict Hack Weakness and aid in hacking, and just below this are Withdraw, (flees battle with a massively boosted chance) and Quick Hack, letting them automatically hack things and get some MN in the deal.

Fortuners, meanwhile, get Psychic's old Mana Float, plus two skills that give LF and MN regeneration.

There are a few more fights you have to backtrack for.

The next fight got two Queen Rabi kills.

Which, when combined with VFD's EXP scaling, gives Team 2 a bunch of levels.

And a second kind of cat food.

That one fight pretty much caught Team 2 up with Team 1, so I'll be ignoring any other Queen Rabis.

A few more fights later, and I get to the end of Atlantica, but it looks like I've missed one along the way.

Where is it?

Inside a building.

Hm? Unit 13, go check out the Sanctuary. I'm sensing a big one hiding back in there.

That's all 10 enemies dead, but we're not quite done yet.

After going to the Sanctuary for nothing, we have to head back to finish this up.

Yeah.

It has 20 LF, which is honestly huge for a Seed, but I'm not entirely sure it can run. I think this thing doubles as a pity reward in case most of the Seeds ran away from you.

And despite being that big, it only gives about a third more SP compared to the other DLC Seeds.

Anywho, things should settle down a bit now. Come on home, Unit 13.

So, our total haul for all that?

About this much.

If I wanted to do this a second time, I'd have to go back to Nodens, turn the quest in, retake the quest, go see the quest giver again, then go all over Atlantica while dealing with effortless random encounters. Even if every fight was against 2 Seeds and you manage to kill all of them, you're only looking at 8600 SP a run at most.

So yeah, I'm never doing that again.

And now to turn in the quest.

OpalValerie nods.

Yui: I'm glad to hear it~! I'll let you know right away next time we have one of these outbreaks! We need you to get as strong as possible, after all! Oh yeah! Here's your reward!

With that quick bit of grinding done, we can go grab Opal and the gang.

I do make some changes to team composition, however.

See, Agents and Rune Knights are the only classes with a backrow charge time of 1 turn. This means that I can break enemy buffs starting from turn 2, but it also means that running them in a team together is a bad idea. If I ever want to use Team 2 in combat, I'd end up having to wait 4 turns to use a Buddy skill.

So I put Aiden in Team 1 with Opal and Yuno.

And Inoue in Team 2 with Valerie and Aria.

This setup will end up having a good bit of team synergy. Yuno can use her heavy focus on fire damage to constantly set off TROY: Fire, ramping up the damage of X BurnOokazi. Inoue, on the other hand, gets both Windy Canopy and Destructive Sweep next tier, letting follow up on Valerie's elemental attacks with Dual Blades or help Aria inflict ailments with Single Sword.

Alright, back to Cladeon.

As the last hub of the militia here, the town has a lot of people for us to talk to.

Lookout Girl: I wish I could fight alongside him... but all I can do for him is watch over the town.

And by 'we' I mean Team 2 gets to do it.

...Ma'am, you are talking to a Lucier. In fact, there's nothing stopping you from making your entire team Lucier at this point.

This is the chest on the far left.

Chief Toglau: These travelers from a foreign land... Are they our saviors? Or maybe...

~

Rude Militiaman: The hell? You think you're better than me just cause you're a little bit stronger? I still don't trust you guys! Keep that in mind!

Keep in mind that the Atlantica recruits were specifically picked by Eigur to help Nodens out. This guy is a dick.

~

Young Militiaman: No matter how many we kill, they simply do not stop. I wonder if we will ever find peace again...

~

Novice Smith Cub: Even though my master Auroth is blind, he's the best craftsman in all of Atlantis!

~

Blind Smith Auroth: Hm... I am sensing a strange scent. Are you the from the surface?

Now we're at the bit on the right.

And here's the chest.

There are also a few indoor areas in Cladeon.

Longing Lucier: But where can I go? Where can I find a safe haven!?

...You think we should tell her about the time machine?

Up ahead is a bridge leading to the top.

Yuma and Yoritomo are up ahead, so that's clearly the plot.

The bridge to the left leads to this chest, but it has no way to get to the lower area.

So I have to run all the way back to check it out.

The hellish amalgamation of three girls from 10000 B.C., 2021 A.D., and 2100 A.D. can deal with it.

The top left segment has a lot of doors.

Inept Militiaman: Why am I shaking? I'm scared as poo poo! I don't get how you guys can be so brave out there!

...Is that a kid's model?

~

Anxious Old Woman: Wh-What do you want...? Wait, are you going to eat me!? I-I don't taste very good, I swear! ...You don't want to eat me? But I heard you surface people are all savages...

There's another door to the left of the first.

Negative Old Man: Nothing we do is going to save us now... Even if we ask the capital for help...

The chest on the far left.

Another door.

Vigorous Old Man: I'll show them! I'm gonna take these dragons down myse— Ouchhh... M-My hip...

And one final door beneath the Blind Guard chest.

...except the place is empty.

And that's the place cleared out.

Did we really need a 10 second cutscene here?

All set!

Then let's get going. We can't afford to waste any more time.

Next time: The game's balance skews even harder in our favor.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 13, 2023

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Valerie is absolutely living for this poo poo.

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

It's times like this I prefer to just burn everything. Works out better than you'd think!

Well, until you burn down the coffee shop anyways. I still haven't heard the end of that...
There's definitely a Tone™️ to Valerie with that animation for Provoke, and that is 'Here to attack people and having such a good time right now'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

it's definitely a odd decision to not introduce the real main character until after the first chapter.