Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

It's times like this I prefer to just burn everything. Works out better than you'd think!

Well, until you burn down the coffee shop anyways. I still haven't heard the end of that...
Oh nice, wasn't expecting to see an LP of this pop up. This one was my first exposure to the series until I read the 2020 LP thread. It's a game I really enjoy, even if well... the difficulty knob might be broken in the wrong direction from what I can only assume the devs were aiming for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

It's times like this I prefer to just burn everything. Works out better than you'd think!

Well, until you burn down the coffee shop anyways. I still haven't heard the end of that...
I'll admit I've played VFD a lot more than is probably healthy, and I think only on my very first playthrough did I try to use a Duelist right at the start. I restarted the save because I thought the draw cards to do anything mechanic was annoying, and replaced them with a Samurai. And this was BEFORE I knew how wild the power curve is.

Of the starting classes though, God Hand is my stand out favorite. Probably because I like the idea behind it - it's got good damage and can help pull you out of a tight spot with support skills like the heal. This is still VFD though so the definition of 'tight spot' is highly subjective, but the intent is there and I appreciate it.

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

I've always assumed it was shorthand for 'Very Final Dragon' because of how they keep hyping it up. I honestly hope there's NPC side dialog somewhere in the game I never saw where someone actually in the know speculates on what it could stand for, and I really hope it's something goofy if it's there.

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

I second that :wtc: about Ulania. Granted, I never saw translations of the artbook so I'd just assumed she was in her early 20's and not 16, plus I don't think character ages get referenced enough times in game that you need to count on more than one hand.

I do wonder what the director was telling the artist for some of these character designs, though. I like quite a few of them, but others are... Certainly Something.

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

Araxxor posted:

ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU! ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU! ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU!

God I have no idea why they made the volume on that voice clip so loud. Not to mention there's no cooldown on it playing so it quickly becomes a cacophony. I basically just turn off the volume when going shopping because of that.

I do the exact same thing just because it's so drat obnoxious.

Also seeing the disparity in random dragon encounters in VFD just compared to when they started popping up in 2020 is... jarring. I never thought much of it since VFD was the first 7th Dragon game I played, but got drat that is abrupt. "Hey get away from our shiny rock!" "Aight-" *turns around* "-wHEN DID MORE DRAGONS GET HERE!?"

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

Araxxor posted:

To be fair, VFD is a pretty fine game on its own. I doubt most people who only played this game noticed anything wrong or off throughout it barring some odd pacing issues here and there.

It's when you take the knowledge from any of the previous games and how things work there that things start getting very wonky.

Oh yeah, without knowing anything about the previous games beyond tiny details I could scrounge up since naturally I noticed the big ol' roman numeral III in the title and got curious, I had no idea there was such a sharp contrast between it and the games that came before. I still love VFD to death, it's a wonderfully fun game, just seeing it now in comparison to what came before is equal parts astonishing and fascinating.

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

Given the flagrant disregard for the space-time continuum, I'd imagine trying to use the Nodens Time Travel Tours machine to stop someone from being born would somehow make them become twins. Also I've honestly never seen the Allie's Death March fights, it's the one DLC I never purchased for VFD so I wonder how much of those will be 'legitimate challenge' or 'absolute bullshit' in the face of the staggering amount of wacky things the ol' Nodens Unit 13 will probably have by then.

Chip damage hasn't completely been nerfed, or at least I remember a few instances of still managing to get 2 damage out of a multi-hit attack on a Dragonsbane/Bloom Seed at some point while playing this game. Assuming my memory isn't failing me for the tenth time this week, anyways...

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

Blaster Raven is the best part of VFD, no contest. He is a goddamn delight.

Also wow, the ISDF have just as bad notions of preserving the timeline or their commander's a blithering idiot not worried about accidentally deleting himself from existence. And Yuma's comment about the Dragon Chronicle strikes me more about the notion of using it to defeat dragons rather than y'know, what 2020 said it does. It would seem pretty fanciful that getting some biology report together would lead to the end of all the giant apocalypse lizards.

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

Ah, Rune Knight. My favorite class in VFD by a long shot. They call it a tank, but given a few of its skills... well. Those Who Don't Know Shall Soon See. Fortuner is also pretty cool and was on my frontline squad for most of my first playthrough of the game. As for a character for the team here in this LP...

Name: Aiden
Portrait: Agent A2 Male
Class: Agent

Let's get some gun bullet shenanigans up and rolling, since all the other votes I'm seeing are for Rune Knight or Fortuner.

Magnus Ragnar fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jul 1, 2022

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

There's definitely a Tone™️ to Valerie with that animation for Provoke, and that is 'Here to attack people and having such a good time right now'.

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

You would think their first priority would be to figure out why Yuma had a goddamn blue screen error when he was about to beat a dragon to death with its own spine, which is something that never occurred to me any of the times I played this game myself. Better to make sure your Guilty Gear Knockoff D-Install subject always functions correctly as opposed to having sporadic 'Dragonslayer.EXE has stopped responding' errors. Feels kind of important to me, y'know?

BisbyWorl posted:

...Is it just me, or does that thing look like a dragon? :stare:

It's not just you. If I remember concept art I saw correctly, that is exactly what it's supposed to look like. Sadly I don't remember where I saw that particular bit of art, or if it had anything potentially spoilery in the same image.

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

Yeah, Rune Knight is stupid and I loving love it. I like the effects on all of its skills, the animations are neat, it's a magic knight style class, and it hits with the force of a bullet train loaded to capacity with concrete.

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

Obviously Opal stabs the dragon with it, then punches the haft to send it THROUGH the dragon. That'd probably kill it dead, right?

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

Wait there's a field skill to instantly escape dungeons!? There was a few times my rear end could've really used that!

Also Eigur continues to be my favorite NPC in this entire game, dude's trying his best to keep up with the just Absolute Nonsense he's now caught up in.

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

Ah yes, THESE classes. Rune Knight is its own league of nonsense, sure, but these two... these two sure as hell try and make it work for it. Also I think it's telling that my brain aggressively pushes Sailas' existence out of my brain, because I forgot about him and his creepy as hell 'heavy breathing research research research' shtick.

As for a character suggestion, here's one for the flex slot;

Portrait: Female Mage B-1
Name: Sveta
Class: Agent

Because every run of this game I've done I have one Rune Knight per party, so I'm curious to see the two agent synergy in further steamrolling enemies/bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

And there it is. The Crown Jewel of VFD's preposterously player-stacked power curve. I've never done it, though I will next time I play VFD, but everything I've seen strongly implies 9 Rune Knights doing a Unison Attack just does HORRIBLE things to whatever they're aiming at.