Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Honestly, I always figured VFD stood for "Very Final Dragon".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Kinu Nishimura posted:

we're going to have this exact same conversation on every single page aren't we

Yes, abandon all hope all ye who enter here

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Name: Francesca
Class: Rune Knight
Portrait: Rune Knight B F
Voice: Whoever you think is close enough to fill in as the "big sister" role
Edit: Or whoever sounds intense enough. Either works.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

BisbyWorl posted:

Say hello to Unit 13's 2nd Team!

Look at her, look at just how happy she is to be here! :)

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Slaan posted:

I'm scared of this imaginary woman :gonk:

Why are you so scared? Can't you see that big, beautiful smile? :unsmigghh:

That aside, my personal head canon for why everyone treats whoever's leading the party as the main character is that you've been mucking up time so much, that time essentially went "screw it, I ain't dealin' with this poo poo, whoever's upfront has ALWAYS been the leader". That kid who could pass as the lead protagonist of a card game anime? Now the protagonist of this game! A humble butler or maid who's taken up fisticuffs? Protagonist! Creepy cat lady? Haha, now that's no way to talk about your big sis, who's ALWAYS been there from the beginning, leading the way with a smile.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

BisbyWorl posted:

Did we just create a stable time loop???

There was once a time such a thing would have blown my meeting mind, much like it did in the first Final Fantasy years ago, now I can only go "oh, neat" before moving on.

Though...some implications and revelations in a certain side quest DID give me pause, forcing me to wonder, just how badly AM I screwing up the time stream?

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Leraika posted:

Can we just make Valerie the main character now

Whatever do you mean? She's always been the main character. Always.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Ha ha, I hope Yuma punches that prick's head off when he inevitably goes berserk and [THE FOLLOWING HAS BEEN REDACTED DUE TO POSSIBLE SPOILERS, DESPITE NOT HAVING FINISHED THE GAME MYSELF] becomes VFD. I mean, c'mon, slotting in all those dragons who could've been at one point been considered gods, and you DON'T expect him to become the final dragon? Idiots.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

megane posted:

I'm glad that the wielder of the Dragonslayer is Opal. Her expression holding it up is perfect. "Oh. A sword. That's fine, I guess. :geno:"

Can she even use it? She punches stuff.

She could always do it like Bazzette does with Answerer, and punch(?) it towards her enemies?

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

BisbyWorl posted:

To be perfectly honest... I am having difficulty comprehending such an odd notion. To be perfectly honest... I am having difficulty comprehending such an odd notion.

Not sure if you're quoting that word for word, or if that's an oopsie on your part.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Apparently, they got too hyped by Sol Badguy's Dragon Install, and forgot what tends to happen to players who use it.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Yeah, those two missions? THOSE were the ones that made me go "WTF did I do?! ...oh god, how badly DID I muck up history?" On the plus side, it gave me some justification on how I could constantly swap out character models and leads, and no one would question it; history is that hosed because of me.

Still, how IS it that the 2020 games are still a thing, with Nyala permadead in Atlantis? What, do we take on VFD somewhere in the very, very distant past and lay an rear end whooping so hard it winds up making time vomit out a timeline free of dragons or something, and it somehow sorts itself out? :psyduck:

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
In regards to the time travel shenanigans, let me just quote one of PlagueofGripes' videos: poo poo is hosed!

Secondly, we're finally at the part I'm at in the game, where apparently my smooth brain ape tactics are no longer sufficient enough to take out the dragons before another joins the battle.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

cdyoung posted:

How about female Mage A-1
Name her Bao-Sith
and for her class mage
and as for her voice, who ever sounds the most condescending

Seconding, as I doubt I'm going to get Bathory in there any time soon.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

It's OK guys. Our new Unit 13 can already retcon True Dragons from other games, we're powerful enough to retcon Takehaya's death!

...I swear to god if I'm predocting the game again-

...Oh gently caress, wasn't Nyala inadvertently the reason Takehaya died? So seeing as we kind of retconned the reason for 2020's events ... :psyduck:

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Oh jeez, is she turning into a dragon through sheer hatred of dragons?

...Oh god, don't tell me she's turning INTO Haze. :psyduck:

This game is going to invoke plenty more psyducks before it ends, I can already tell.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Araxxor posted:

Surprise! A recurring character in the series was a dragon all this time.

Incidentally, congratulations Unit 13. You have somehow managed to create a timeline where Santa Claus is now a dragon.

Santa, nooo! :gonk:

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

BisbyWorl posted:

Dragons killing humans, very naughty! Humans not killing dragons, exactly as naughty!

"What about humans who, you know, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more, say no more, with dr--"

*Is promptly hit square in the face with a sack of coal*

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
...thanks Yuma. Thanks. No, really, I don't mind that you're having an existential crisis, completely forgetting that Santa Claus is right there. :sigh:

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

BisbyWorl posted:

Next time: You've heard of VFD, now get ready for...

V(ery)V(ery)F(inal)D(ragon)? G Dragon? Kaiser Dragon?

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
...Excuse me, but wad da fug?

I'm almost glad my Banisher doesn't have access to tier 3 skills yet, because I'm not sure I could resist the sweet siren call of POWER. At least for now, I can have fun with the move set he has.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Dang man, I don't know how to feel about this boss being nerfed. On one hand, it's kind of annoying that I don't get to tackle it at it's full strength, and don't get to experience the full challenge. On the other hand, this dragon seems like the type who would make me go "Man, gently caress this guy", put down my system, and bang my head up against a wall as I try again and again to take this jackass on.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

BisbyWorl posted:

Next time: We do everything but fight Hypnos.

*Insert "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" theme here*

Gilgamesh255 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 13, 2023

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
...wait, if we killed Emel in the past, then how is she still alive to help out with 7D2? ...oh drat it, did we cause a time paradox again? :psyduck:

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

mastersord posted:

You killed her in the future because the events of the first game took place after the events of the 2020 games. Time-line is not actually messed up by this. The events that sent part of Atlantis hurtling into the distant future though..

:kstare: ...MY MIND!

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
...SANTA, NNOOOOOOOO!

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Araxxor posted:

Stop! Stop! The game cartridge is already a smoking crater! The dragons are already going extinct!

I can only come to one conclusion about the sheer amount of overkill present. Emel created this game.

...That explains this game's balance so much.

"Ma'am, wasn't this dragon supposed to be a legitimate threat?"
"You're absolutely right; make it weaker!"
"Uh--"
"And while you're at it, throw in a skill that allows the players to essentially nuke the dragons!"
"But...but the balance!"
"gently caress. Dragons."
"Ah, finally greenlighting that dragon dating sim of mine I see---"

:BLAM:

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Yorimoto posted:

Next question. The plane your lover is on has been hijacked by a terrorist. If you do nothing, they will crash the plane into a densely populated area. Do you shoot the plane down?

:Insert young crying Kiritsugu here:

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
At least with the black out with the old man, I can imagine Opal just giving him a thorough massage, I'm pretty sure that's an actual skill that can be used in battle too for healing.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Well, on one hand, this really, REALLY sucks right now; I guess they were saving the old school feeling of despair for the last chapters. On the other hand:

Gilgamesh255 posted:

Ha ha, I hope Yuma punches that prick's head off when he inevitably goes berserk and [THE FOLLOWING HAS BEEN REDACTED DUE TO POSSIBLE SPOILERS, DESPITE NOT HAVING FINISHED THE GAME MYSELF] becomes VFD. I mean, c'mon, slotting in all those dragons who could've been at one point been considered gods, and you DON'T expect him to become the final dragon? Idiots.

Well, I sure hope somebody picks up that phone, because I FUCKNG CALLED IT! WOOOOO!

...drat shame about everyone, though. gently caress.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
...Whelp, my Samurai that looks like a dapper gentleman definitely has his....work... cut out for him when he dates Allie.

Akio Otsuka voice, don't fail me now!

Also, have a belated Psyduck in regards to these recent revelations! :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
*Insert humourous/crappy Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet meme here*