Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockinsaki
Feb 6, 2004

Skinless Half-Asian Wonder

..The Rider of a white horse. This rider wears a crown and will deceive many with talks of peace, but he will wage war against the saints.
My trick was to start carrying nail clippers with me at all times, until I was able to break the compulsion. I dealt with it as a teenager :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like biting my nails and have no interest in quitting. Idg what makes it a "bad habit". seems like probably the number 1 way humans have trimmed their nails throughout history. Monkeys do it too. That or they just get long enough to break off (gross) I guess if you go way too hard on it it could be bad if you are making yourself bleed or chewing them to the nub. Once in a blue moon I'll get super stressed and do that but it's rare. Imo my nails dont even look weird or anything.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Reminded me of how when I was really bad about it as a kid, my mom started putting on some sort of nauseating coating on them. Not just nail polish, something specifically to be as gross as possible and make you feel sick.

That was after trying duct taping mittens on me.

That sounds a bit dark writing it back.

Neither tactic worked though. It just faded out in time.

I'm basically a caveman so I still bite/tooth scrape em to keep them nice, and the right length, but not the obsessive gnawing thing. Just maintenance.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
somehow I remembered something weird;
when i was 15/16 I worked in camden lock market in London, on a jewlery stall, most of it was from thailand and middle of the range silver and semi precious stones, etc, but one thing that stood out was the sterling silver stick on nails they had, in a bunch of sizes, I had a quick look online to see if i could source them, but nada.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Unfortunately for me, I don't bite my nails so much as pick at them. I used to bite them as well and was trained out of that when my mum put the gross tasting coating stuff on them others have mentioned. I have tried to stop in the past but never succeeded for more than a week. I don't even notice I'm doing it most of the time. I'm 31 so I'm not sure I'll ever stop. I guess there are worse habits to have.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

What finally did it for me was playing nylon string guitar. It sounds crap with the pads of your fingers so you really need to let your nails grow to get a good sound.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
A king admired his royal steed so much he went to the stables, drew his sword and with great dignity bestowed a knighthood upon it.

Unfortunately the king, being short of sight, had mistaken a bundle of hay for a horse - for the fourth time in a week!!

To this day he is only remembered for often knighting his bales

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i hope you accidentally piss all over your legs

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys

Octy posted:

Unfortunately for me, I don't bite my nails so much as pick at them. I used to bite them as well and was trained out of that when my mum put the gross tasting coating stuff on them others have mentioned. I have tried to stop in the past but never succeeded for more than a week. I don't even notice I'm doing it most of the time. I'm 31 so I'm not sure I'll ever stop. I guess there are worse habits to have.

I'm a recovering biter and picker, the picking as actually been pretty ok to get over. Once I had enough growth to rub the tips of my nails together I just did that instead of picking. Though I press pretty hard sometimes.

I'm 27 and kinda thought I'd never get over it either, but I'm well on my way! Maybe something will click for you down the line who knows?! It's not the worst habit so I wouldn't worry about it too much unless your feeling motivated to make some small change.

veni veni veni posted:

I like biting my nails and have no interest in quitting. Idg what makes it a "bad habit". seems like probably the number 1 way humans have trimmed their nails throughout history. Monkeys do it too. That or they just get long enough to break off (gross) I guess if you go way too hard on it it could be bad if you are making yourself bleed or chewing them to the nub. Once in a blue moon I'll get super stressed and do that but it's rare. Imo my nails dont even look weird or anything.

Hey whatever floats your boat. Personally I did often bite my nails until they hurt, then I would chew the skin around the nails. That's when it stops being a grooming habit, and becomes a nervous one.

There's some pretty minor health reasons not to bite, it's bad for your teeth and fingering your mouth with COVID still around isn't great. There's also just aesthetic reasons if you're dating and into ladies. I know a lot of women who would be turned off at the sight of jagged bitten nails since those bad boys are potentially going inside of them. But if you can bite them while keeping them looking smooth, clean and trim I guess thats not an issue.

Also monkeys don't wipe their rear end so I don't think I want to model my grooming habits after them.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I don't think I've ever known a bona-fide nailbiter. Or maybe they were secretive about it. One of those things you just hear about from time to time and think, people are loving weird.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Farg posted:

what I did is start putting nail polish on them because it tasted bad. then eventually I didn't want to chew them also because I didn't want to mess up my nice nail polish job

This was my fix. I also loving hate the feeling of nail polish against my teeth.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

I pissed on my teeth, staining them yellow

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

AcidCat posted:

I don't think I've ever known a bona-fide nailbiter. Or maybe they were secretive about it. One of those things you just hear about from time to time and think, people are loving weird.
That's wild, I know many nail biters and none are secretive about it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

I'll do it on purpose and you can watch.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Uriah Heep posted:

I've been a lifetime nailbiter, I chewed them down until they hurt and then I would start to work on the skin around the nails. They looked pretty gross, but I never really cared enough to make it past a couple days of trying to quit. The GF likes nice hands though and nails are a part of that, so I figured Id give it another shot. Now I'm on a 2 week kick of not biting my nails and they are the healthiest they've ever been.

My method right now is to obsessively care for my nails constantly to stave off the biting compulsion. Once I had a little growth I constantly cleaned under my nails, and that kinda scratches the itch I get to pick at them. I also oil them up with jojoba oil which has helped my cuticles not look like poo poo, but more than that its just a little ritual that reinforces my mindset of taking care of them. I could definitely gently caress up at any point, I still put them in my mouth as a nervous habit but I havent bitten them yet.

Any fellow nail biters or former nail biter out there looking to try and knock a bad habit with me or share some tips, products, pictures etc.?

Before(not a great pic dont have many old hand pics)/Current

Its not much, but I am super proud.

ok i am goign to stop biting my nails starting right now

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

ELTON JOHN posted:

ok i am goign to stop biting my nails starting right now

Power to you, brother. A lotta people in the thread seemed to succeed with nail polish and always keeping a nail file on them, seems like a good place to start

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I pissed on my teeth, staining them yellow

9/10 Dentists hate him

-Flashing my pearly yellows to a fine biddy at the bar, she recoils in horror.

"Don't worry babe, it's just piss ;)"

Uriah Heep fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 19, 2022

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
just hosed up!!! poo poo ok well starting NOW. maybe bring a nail file to work tomorrow

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I trim mine with my teeth in the car on the way to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

ELTON JOHN posted:

just hosed up!!! poo poo ok well starting NOW. maybe bring a nail file to work tomorrow

I'm still goin strong man, how about you?

I had a weak moment and nibbled my boys a bit the other day but nothing snapped off. Stopped myself before it got too bad and buffed the poo poo outta them to stave off the impulse. Works a bit, but I'm still having trouble not lightly chewing my nails idly. Gotta stop doing that before I chew a bit too hard one day.

They still feel like some extra limb attached to my body that I just want to rip off.