Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj3ENSVogTo

quote:

One evening as panascope was playing Horus Heresy, bulbasaur with a sharp sword entered, demanding wither his models or his life.

panascope told him: "Do not disturb me. You can find the models in that cabinet." Then he resumed his domination of Hixson.

A little while afterwards he stopped and called: "Don't take them all. I need some to play games with tomorrow."

The intruder gathered up most of the models and started to leave. "Thank a person when you receive a gift," panascope added. Bulbasaur thanked him and made off.

A few days afterwards the fellow was caught and confessed, among others, the offense against panascope. When panascope was called as a witness he said: "This idiot loser is no thief, at least as far as I am concerned. I gave him the models and he thanked me for them."

After he had finished his prison term, bulbasaur went to panascope and became his disciple.

Welcome to the Horus Heresy 2.0! After spending several years on life support, Horus Heresy is getting a new edition, with support from Games Workshop instead of Forgeworld, refreshed rules for every legion, lots of new plastics coming, and plenty of hype. While 40k has once again turned into a bloated mess featuring space clowns among the top armies, Heresy 2.0 offers intense firefights, brutal close combats, and fantastically sculpted models.

As a special treat, early versions of the rules were leaked to the unwashed masses a few weeks ago, you can find these playtest rules here:
Core Rules
Traitor Rules
Loyalist Rules

Note that the Phase 1 traitor rules are a bit older, and are liable to change between now and release. Don't let this stop you from making huge posts about the balance though.

In addition to the new release, we'll be getting a brand new box set, priced at 180squid/225burgerbux, that comes with basically a complete army for a new player (or two smaller forces if you split it with a friend [editor's note: nobody has friends]):

Big rules changes in 2.0 include sweeping changes to the Outflank and Deep Strike rules, the introduction of Reactions that can be taken by the non-active player, streamlining of many existing rules and reduction of RNG for things like warlord traits. Overall it's a very welcome change. The Warhammer Community website is running a preview of the legions and their rules every day until they've done all 18.

panascope fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

From the previous thread:

wins32767 posted:

So I haven’t played since like rogue trader/first edition but I found the full company of marines I’d assembled back in the 90s. It looks like 40k has mainly moved on from my old stuff, would 30k be a good place to use all those old models (including like 4 units of og rogue trader era marines?

This is the perfect game to use those old models, and you should feel encouraged to do so.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
i'm gay this thread is good

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I thought I did something horribly wrong when I posted in that thread and it immediately died

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Play Horus Heresy, my lords.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

The timeline for me of "Oh there's an entire version of the game dedicated to HH, my favorite part of the Warhammer content I've consumed?" to "Oh, it seems expensive. Nevermind." to "Oh there's a new version coming out that's the perfect onboarding for the tabletop game and is affordable?" was maybe 2 weeks so, well played GW.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Yeah it rules, and this is their best system by a mile too. What legions are you considering?

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I really wanted to go loyalist Emperor's Children, but after seeing how they look in mk6 im not too crazy about it anymore. When the other marks come out in their new plastic packages that'll be more enticing for an EC legion, but for the big box I'm now leaning towards World Eaters.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
10 years later, 30k still better than 40k

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Also we have a dedicated 30k slack server. Anyone reading this, PM me if you'd like an invite

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 18, 2022

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Old and busted: Primaris marines
<wetfart sound>

New Hotness: These magnificent bastards!

(Yes, terminators are good and, dare I say, the best this time around!)

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Give me the BOX.

Sound off if you're buying multiple BOXES

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

TTerrible posted:

Give me the BOX.

Me right now:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TTerrible posted:

Give me the BOX.

Where is BOX give me BOX i need BOX i want BOX.

Thank you warmaster for the new thread, I'm genuinely excited for the influx of new players and content the new edition is going to bring - the barrier to entry before with forgeworld prices was something that kept me out of the game for ages until Betrayal at Calth.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Everything is good.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Militia still the best army and faction

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
They don’t exist any more! You can’t post those in the 2.0 thread. Mods?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Almost done with these 10 seekers/scouts

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Militia still the best army and faction

Enjoy no rules at release :agesilaus:

Seriously though, seeing the Imperial Fist rules kinda make me want to stop them from being my loyalist faction. The +1 BS is too drat good, it's going to be nerfed. It has to be.
The new 30k is gonna get the same treatment as the 40k stuff isn't it? Constant updates and FAQ's we have to stay up with due to GW loving up stats and combos.....

Sigh. Oh! Found some STL's to try with my new printer so I at least get to start trying my paint schemes on the correct size models

Edit:Bulbasaur....those seekers looking amazing!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Still trying to decide if I want to buy BOX cause I can't decide if I like the look of World Eaters in beakie armor.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
My friends are full time HH nerds - and I've been orbiting for a bit - getting the fix in through Titanicus and BFG.

Picking Iron Hands, because they're basically space dwarfs, and seem to be under-represented. What's cool about them and what should I get? I've already picked up some Gorgons because they look great.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I was lukewarm on BOX until someone posted a pic of the Mk6 with DG pickelhaube and I jizzed in my jeans.

I have 35 Mk3 foot troops right now I'll be using as vets/support squads. I also have a couple of Aquitor bombards coming and a plagueburst crawler to lead the squadron.

Red Herring posted:

My friends are full time HH nerds - and I've been orbiting for a bit - getting the fix in through Titanicus and BFG.

Picking Iron Hands, because they're basically space dwarfs, and seem to be under-represented. What's cool about them and what should I get? I've already picked up some Gorgons because they look great.

I don't know if it's in the new list, but the Mortifactor is a legion leader who focuses on the Dreadnoughts of the legion. Very IH in my opinion.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Red Herring posted:

The Head of the Gorgon Rite of War looks very good, as it basically opens up a ton of options for your army while having a pretty limited drawback. You could consider a Mechanized Infantry swarm to capture objectives (consider your Gorgons in a Spartan), or a big mess of heavy tanks, like the new Kratos.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Looking forward immensely to the new plastic tank kits. The new plastic sicaran is just so cool. 2 of everything please!

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
How beginner friendly would you say Horus Heresy is? I originally wanted to play 40k but you know it's a mess right now so that'll go on the backburner for a bit.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
If you wait until June for the new box? Significantly more friendly than it is now.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Lucinice posted:

How beginner friendly would you say Horus Heresy is? I originally wanted to play 40k but you know it's a mess right now so that'll go on the backburner for a bit.

I’ve never had any problem explaining the 1.0 version of this game to people, even ones who have never done any sort of wargaming in the first place.
Aside from that, one of the nice things in the new edition is that, aside from the core rulebook, you really only need one book to write your army. Obviously this will get more layered as they re-introduce armies like Mechanicum, Solar Auxilia, and Militia, but if you’re looking to play Legions it’s basically as easy as it gets.

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
This is the perfect jumping-off point for the Horus Heresy Hobby. Untold worlds of gaming await you if you are but bold enough to claim them. Except for militia players.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

panascope posted:

I’ve never had any problem explaining the 1.0 version of this game to people, even ones who have never done any sort of wargaming in the first place.
Aside from that, one of the nice things in the new edition is that, aside from the core rulebook, you really only need one book to write your army. Obviously this will get more layered as they re-introduce armies like Mechanicum, Solar Auxilia, and Militia, but if you’re looking to play Legions it’s basically as easy as it gets.

Are 40k mechanicum units playable in HH or is it the forge world ones only? They've been one of my choices for a 40k army.

Lucinice fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 18, 2022

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth

Lucinice posted:

Are 40k mechanicum units playable in HH or is it the forge world ones only?

It's almost entirely FW. There were some vague rumors that more 40k stuff would be available, but in general the HH Mech units are things like thallax and tech-thralls that don't exist in 40k.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Lucinice posted:

Are 40k mechanicum units playable in HH or is it the forge world ones only? They've been one of my choices for a 40k army.

There’s a pretty fair amount of overlap even if there’s not a perfect 1:1 comparison for some stuff. Kastelan robots and Castellax robots, for instance.

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
Yeah, the tech priest/magos models are 100% compatible, and outside the robots you could get creative to use other AdMech forces as Mechanicum. There just aren't certain units yet. It's even funnier for the Custodes who have different terminator armor and jetbikes between the two games.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Snake Dance posted:

This is the perfect jumping-off point for the Horus Heresy Hobby. Untold worlds of gaming await you if you are but bold enough to claim them. Except for militia players.

Militia will release last, so they have maximum power creep. As the warmaster intended.

Lucinice posted:

In general, mechanicum != to adeptus mechanicus. There was almost no model crossover in 1.0 which will likely remain in 2.0, but that's speculation. You can always convert or proxy, but the aesthetics are also a bit different. Rumor is plastic thallax/ursurax at the very least

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Aren't Immortals a good choice for IH? It was either them or the termies that were near unkillable*.

panascope posted:

The Head of the Gorgon Rite of War looks very good, as it basically opens up a ton of options for your army while having a pretty limited drawback. You could consider a Mechanized Infantry swarm to capture objectives (consider your Gorgons in a Spartan), or a big mess of heavy tanks, like the new Kratos.

On the other hand, Castellax are loving lovely, and you get them without the other ROW's requirement of a cortex controller per 3 robits.

*From what I remember of HH 1.0 rules

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

JcDent posted:

Aren't Immortals a good choice for IH? It was either them or the termies that were near unkillable*.

*From what I remember of HH 1.0 rules

I'd say between Immortals and Gorgons the clue would be in the name, but it's FW so :iiam:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Personally I don't rate immortals very highly, mostly due to points cost. They're really tough, sure, but they don't really do anything else well besides dying slowly. Gorgons seem like a better choice for most situations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

ijyt posted:

I'd say between Immortals and Gorgons the clue would be in the name, but it's FW so :iiam:

You're not wrong.

Anyways,

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Hey just to point out, the OP has the core rules links the heretic rules pdf while the loyalist rules link to the core rules pdf.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Lucinice posted:

Hey just to point out, the OP has the core rules links the heretic rules pdf while the loyalist rules link to the core rules pdf.

Yeah if someone could point us to the Loyalist rules it would be greatly appreciated :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Can’t wait to paint more miniatures for this dead game nobody plays