Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Yeah if someone could point us to the Loyalist rules it would be greatly appreciated :)

At least some of Legion traits and unique Reactions have been posted on Warhammer Community, might be worth putting these in the OP once they're finished up

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/05/16/legions-of-the-horus-heresy-the-space-wolves-are-the-best-boys-yes-they-are/

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/05/17/legions-of-the-horus-heresy-plan-ahead-with-the-imperial-fists/

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/05/13/legions-of-the-horus-heresy-the-white-scars-ride-like-the-wind/

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/05/10/legions-of-the-horus-heresy-do-everything-amazingly-with-the-dark-angels/

Edit: Well since this is the top of a new page I might as well post the Traitor articles too

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/05/11/legions-of-the-horus-heresy-no-ones-perfect-except-the-emperors-children/

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/05/18/legions-of-the-horus-heresy-the-night-lords-treat-every-day-like-its-halloween/

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/05/12/legions-of-the-horus-heresy-break-down-walls-with-the-iron-warriors/

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

This is really useful information, I was personally looking for the Loyalist info as it gives more then the pieces it does here. Helps you confirm paint schemes and all that so you can get a jump on things

Also....I hate to say this again. But I loving hate the way they wrote these articles
We get it.....
You're trying to be hippish and use slang from memes and poo poo while talking about the upcoming game
Stop it

Horus Heresy has an amazing setting and doesn't need that sort of bullshit intro. Drives me crazy

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
woah new thread

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Tiny Chalupa posted:

This is really useful information, I was personally looking for the Loyalist info as it gives more then the pieces it does here. Helps you confirm paint schemes and all that so you can get a jump on things

Also....I hate to say this again. But I loving hate the way they wrote these articles
We get it.....
You're trying to be hippish and use slang from memes and poo poo while talking about the upcoming game
Stop it

Horus Heresy has an amazing setting and doesn't need that sort of bullshit intro. Drives me crazy

You will get plenty of grimdarkness in the rule book relax, this is how WD and WHC has been forever.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Remember kids baseline supremacy, down with the space marine abominations.

Zasze fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 19, 2022

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

TTerrible posted:

Give me the BOX.

Sound off if you're buying multiple BOXES

Awuuuuu

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Fun from the 1.0 era

Ghazk fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 19, 2022

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Ghazk posted:

Fun from the 1.0 era

one of my favorite games of heresy v1.0

master of the dreadwing killing the traitor magos in a sea of phosphex templates during one of the book 9 missions

solar aux storm sections looking rad and doing some breaching

a whole las rifle section that is about to get deleted by a ceastus

no i will not stop using volkite tanks its you that is bad

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Man, its hard to describe playing a game for almost a decade from the very first book when nobody even knows what it is, to it petering out, and then to it becoming main-line supported by GW. In that time I've built friendships, been extremely mad, and made others extremely mad. Sad to see the old edition go in a way, we've been together for so long, but I'm also excited to start seeing the new game. The rules look hot and I'm hard for the new memories we'll make, and the new levels of mad we will discover together.

Here are some of my 1.0 Heresy Memories. Feel free to post yours:

Here it is. My 1st game of heresy with the PNW crew. I'm playing Iron Hands because only book 2 is out. Panascope is playing OP necrons. Stanyer has some netlist. Hixon Eldar aren't even on the table. We're playing 30k in 40k because nobody plays Heresy at this point, but 40k is becoming a poo poo show.

My first game on an incredible table against a cool and chill friend who is heresy curious down in Game Castle in the bay area. We play a few times, but its still 30k in 40k because the system is still catching on. I'm mostly painted now which is cool!

Heresy comes to the PNW. People start armies and I narrate a big narrative campaign. It culminates in models being thrown against a wall. We never finish the campaign or do narrative games again. Somehow heresy still takes root.

Hersey is in full swing. I have a militia army and I love it. This is an incredible 4 way game on an incredible table. My militia and Ghazk's SoH/Alpha Legion hold the line against Space Wolves and TKWG's Dark Angels. The loyalists cheat and win in the end, I am very salty.

My ZM table. Its a big hobby milestone for me in terms of quality, size, and volume.

My dark mech. The army I always wanted, but could never have. My favorite to play and model, by far. I have lots of pictures of them tearing up LVO and beyond. Like a good magos I can't stop tinkering with them and I'm so excited to basically re-do them in the next few years.

In loving memory of those that fell during 1.0

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 19, 2022

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
This is going to tempt me away from grinding Destiny 2 guns and back into actually painting minis with my giant dedicated painting station I set up and then never used.

Gimme the BOX, Games Workshop. I have plastic beakie Raven Guard to paint.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm so tempted to jump in with the new box, but I need to decide on which chapter. I can always stay Blood Angels but I'm interested in doing something else.

At least there are a few that I can cross off the list immediately, more as we get more lore articles and Arbiter Ian vids.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

About six years ago, me and a buddy were playing Epic Armageddon at Bellevue Mox on a quiet weekend. I remember there being a 2v2 game going on at a table diagonally from us. I didn't know the people at the table, but one person had some iron warriors that included two custom vindicators with big fuckin' barrels, and one of the other players had dark angels with very distinct edge highlighting. They were very loud.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
looking at the Alpha Legion playtest list I feel like I'm going to need to have Rewards of Treachery explained to me.

Mutable Tactics I think I get in that you're jacking another legion's unique reaction once per game but also boo no more army-wide infiltrate/counterattack/move through cover.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

Der Waffle Mous posted:

looking at the Alpha Legion playtest list I feel like I'm going to need to have Rewards of Treachery explained to me.

Mutable Tactics I think I get in that you're jacking another legion's unique reaction once per game but also boo no more army-wide infiltrate/counterattack/move through cover.

Rewards basically just boils down to: take up to 3 units from other legions. They don’t have to be from the same legion.

They worded it in a very bizarre manner.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I'm having a hard time settling on a Legion, I thought I wanted to play Night Lords but after reading the Night Lords trilogy they mostly just come off as pathetic losers whose main complaint about the Imperium is that is isn't fascist enough. Thats all well and good for a book but I'm not sure I want to play "the dishonorable guys who always lose" and it seems like you need to do some conversion work to really pull off their aesthetic (lots of flayed human skin and skull helms). After that I have sorta bounced between Imperial Fists and Word Bearers until I realized I don't actually like the Imperial Fists, I like Sigismund and the Black Templars which is a very different thing and it seems like half my local shop wants to play Word Bearers and I'd prefer to not have mirror matches all day. Right now I'm reading my way through the first part of the HH books for the first time and its actually pushing me towards Sons of Horus pretty hard. Getting to play as either Arch-Traitors with Horus or Loyalists with Lokan and pals seems like a huge plus too. Who knows how I'll feel by the time the box comes out though.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I don't read the black library books, but if you can find a .pdf of the out of print black books they offer a condensed historical type narrative for all the legions. It makes many of them more interesting than you might otherwise think based on one authors interpretation. Going for what looks cool to paint or play is also totally cool and good

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ghazk posted:

About six years ago, me and a buddy were playing Epic Armageddon at Bellevue Mox on a quiet weekend. I remember there being a 2v2 game going on at a table diagonally from us. I didn't know the people at the table, but one person had some iron warriors that included two custom vindicators with big fuckin' barrels, and one of the other players had dark angels with very distinct edge highlighting. They were very loud.

I'm sure it was the beer! :shobon:

I still have pix of when your WS clowned my poor militia a few years later :)

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
That table with the integrated trenches is amazing, love it every time when they're not just layered on top of the table.

If it helps anyone, I chose my legion (DG) based on ease of painting, and then FORGED THE NARRATIVE about them being loyalists from some garrison where they got left because the praetor didn't love Morty enough.

Also, I can't wait for militia rules, they're like the coolest non-Marine army. I made entirely too many BS 1K lists in HH 1.0.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
So with the big starter box they're releasing what else does someone need to run a decent HH army?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

HERESY

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Lucinice posted:

So with the big starter box they're releasing what else does someone need to run a decent HH army?

I did the math and it's nearly 1500 out of the box before you add any upgrades, so get one of each of your legion's snowflake units and you can play at 2500.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I heard of 30k here on SA first, about 6-7 years ago. I really liked the idea of marine armies clashing but the cost of FW models put me off.
Instead I spent the past couple of years slowly collecting an army worth of beakies... Rogue trader era mins, a couple of FW MKVI kits, as well as trading for MKVI plastic bits and pieces at every opportunity. Even ended up with an old metal Contemptor, an MK1 Land Raider, and an MK1 plastic Predator (beige coloured plastic with the nice curvy turret).

True to the whole Rogue Trader beakie thing, I started to paint them Crimson Fists.

Since the new set leaked I've been waiting for it to come out, so I could bolster my beakie army further, at the same time people started to try and pull me into 30k. Some even said they wont mind me playing Crimson Fists!
Now that the set is on the horizon, I've decided to bite the bullet and to match the lore (and my colours), I will be making a Night Lords army. Can't wait to start painting!

Ps: While waiting for the new box, I went and spent waaay too much money on some FW kits. Luckily they already removed stuff like transfers and dice from their webstore.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Those are some very cool Night Lords, well done!

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
Heresy Lives!

I had a lot of fun in 1.0, starting with playing with a borrowed World Eaters army at Warzone Houston 2019, to getting my own Night Lords and helping my wife with her Sons of Horus to make it to 2021. Here's a few pictures of that journey:

Some glamour shots of the armies:

Not my army but a picture i took of a friend's ruinstorm daemons vs militia.

A game I played with another friend where we decided to leave the dead models on the field as corpses.

Right now I'm about 95% of the way to committing to White Scars with the new Heresy box, just waiting to see how they look in the final cut, but the playtest rules for them are very promising. I also have two Baneblades I need to build, so hopefully Marines will still be able to take them in the new edition.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

If you add Alexis Polux from FW to your Crimson Fists (he’s their first chapter master), you could reasonably claim them to be just after the First Founding, which isn’t too removed from the Heresy itself.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Endman posted:

If you add Alexis Polux from FW to your Crimson Fists (he’s their first chapter master), you could reasonably claim them to be just after the First Founding, which isn’t too removed from the Heresy itself.

I think I will keep the Rogue Trader era stuff as Crimson Fists, and make the new stuff as Night Lords. This way I can have my cake and eat it too.

Edit: And don't even have to buy any new paint. :smug:

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 19, 2022

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Blood Angels article for today with some of their rules
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/05/19/legions-of-the-horus-heresy-find-beauty-in-battle-with-the-blood-angels/

I didnt mention it in my other post but it seems like we're getting one of these per day

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Can you have field trials Primaris as like, an allied detachment? I love the era and limited scope of the Heresy, but want some of the aesthetic of Primaris.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
For the more melee focused legions, how much do they actually want the tactical marines from the starter box? It seems like they would be much more interested in some flavor of Assault Squad, and they would be in a game like 40k, but I don't know enough about the quirks and structure of 30k to know the answer to that question. I just don't want to commit to something like Night Lords, Space Wolves or Blood Angels if it means I'm gonna need to buy a bunch of a different type of troops to play them "correctly".

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Some will take full advantage, for example space wolves or world eaters, who can buff their default troops through wargear/rules to make them very scary.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I played ZM tonight and it was good. I didn't actually get to use any of my chem-munitions flamers but I pulled out a win in the end.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Sergent turned out better than I expected

Reading your poo poo posts in real time

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

AnEdgelord posted:

For the more melee focused legions, how much do they actually want the tactical marines from the starter box? It seems like they would be much more interested in some flavor of Assault Squad, and they would be in a game like 40k, but I don't know enough about the quirks and structure of 30k to know the answer to that question. I just don't want to commit to something like Night Lords, Space Wolves or Blood Angels if it means I'm gonna need to buy a bunch of a different type of troops to play them "correctly".

The good news is, Tactical Marines can still be kitted out for close combat, with the addition of either bayonets (which come in the box) or chainswords (which can be purchased cheaply on eBay). Additionally, you could easily just grab some bolt pistols and chainswords from eBay (or try to swap the bolters with someone) and run your Tacticals as Despoilers. Add some eBay jump packs to those and you’ve got Assault Marines.

Regardless of what legion you run, power armored Marine bodies will be valuable, since little else scores, and Tacticals look especially good for this in HH 2.0, since the leaks indicate they’ll have a built in “ignore wounds” roll when on objectives. You’re also going to want Support and Heavy Support squads, which will be made using the Tactical kit plus the weapon boxes, so those bodies are extremely unlikely to be wasted, no matter how you build your legion.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Can you have field trials Primaris as like, an allied detachment? I love the era and limited scope of the Heresy, but want some of the aesthetic of Primaris.

Isn't that kinda just Mark IV?

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Primaris were mentioned in one of the Siege of Terra books so they're heresy approved.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

AnEdgelord posted:

I like Sigismund and the Black Templars

Btw, according to leaks, Siggy allows you to take Templar Brethren as (non compulsory?) Troops, and Templar Assault ROW forces you take Templars as compulsory troops. They also get the TacMarine bonus for camping objectives and Rage when disembarking.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

this is where I draw the line :whitewater:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

JcDent posted:

I did the math and it's nearly 1500 out of the box before you add any upgrades, so get one of each of your legion's snowflake units and you can play at 2500.

Is it 1500 per side in the box or all together?

I'm getting really excited for the idea of my FLGS getting into some HH; just based on what I've heard of the rules I think it'll suit me better than 40k, I really prefer a crunchier rule set more in step with historical wargaming.

Are the rules in the upcoming starter box going to be new or could I jump start by ordering a book now?

Edit: I read through the box announcement and saw that it contains a new rulebook that isn't currently for sale.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 20, 2022

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Greetings dead game 2.0 thread. In celebration, I have completed money tank 2.0- Arkhan Land’s Land Raider in the imperial webway.

The land land raider!

Vid, since a good chunk of the lights are animated:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Iron Hands are up today
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/05/20/legions-of-the-horus-heresy-the-iron-hands-are-hard-as-nails/