Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Kazinsal posted:

the second gen BRZ has an MP3 that plays through the speaker

lmao jfc. i don't know how i didn't notice that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lol that people need an engine mp3 sound playing in the cabin to make the car feel more powerful, so their car can make "vroom vroom" sounds like some sort of toy car for toddlers

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

mystes posted:

Lol that people need an engine mp3 sound playing in the cabin to make the car feel more powerful

I blame chevrolet/buick/GM. when GM figured out that the japanese were onto something with small turbocharged inline-4s they had to stop making 5-litre V8 sedans but 2-litre DOHC I4s with more power than ancient pushrod V8s didn't sound powerful enough for all-american masculine proud boys so they had to add in fake engine noise to compensate. now it's just kind of accepted

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

mystes posted:

Lol that people need an engine mp3 sound playing in the cabin to make the car feel more powerful, so their car can make "vroom vroom" sounds like some sort of toy car for toddlers

it's some real bullshit for sure, and now that i'm thinking about it, that's probably why the sales guy kept fiddling with the radio. i thought he was just weirdly into showing it off

a total lack of noise can be kinda disconcerting though. while electric cars can feel pretty artificial when you're driving them, adding some more artificial garbage isn't the solution. unfortunately i think we're gonna see a lot more crappy emulation coming up because of it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
my car is electric. give me that silence any day.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
except for the low soeed VESS. gotta have that.

mystes
May 31, 2006

President Beep posted:

except for the low soeed VESS. gotta have that.
yeah making a little sound outside the car at very low speeds for pedestrian safety is good and different from making vroom vroom sounds in the cabin

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
in order for engine noise to stop, you would need men in general to be secure about their masculinity. we have found no cultures anywhere where the median man is secure in his masculinity, it's just a fundamental part of "true masculinity" that it's brutally contingent

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

mystes posted:

yeah making a little sound outside the car at very low speeds for pedestrian safety is good and different from making vroom vroom sounds in the cabin

i'd like fake engine sounds where you could configure their realism on a dial, where it goes from real to sampling crazy frog

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

President Beep posted:

what kind?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

in order for engine noise to stop, you would need men in general to be secure about their masculinity. we have found no cultures anywhere where the median man is secure in his masculinity, it's just a fundamental part of "true masculinity" that it's brutally contingent

it's pretty funny that stereotypically "masculine" engine noise is usually just loud as poo poo and really loving annoying. when i was growing up my parents had a couple v6s and v8s that were comparatively nearly silent and it was fine

my dad had a v12 at some point though and that was admittedly loving awesome

President Beep posted:

it's not bad honestly, its just different. the feel while driving is really way more important to me and i don't think any evs have really nailed it yet. i don't think it's impossible, but they're gonna have to do some poo poo to try and emulate it i think. maybe something like a simulator does with the wheel, idk

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i have a 79 monte carlo that someday i dream of doing an ev conversion on. if it ever happens, i want to put together custom sounds on a fake engine noise system that is a voice going "bup bup bup bup vroom bup bup vrooooooooooooom" based on throttle position

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

akadajet posted:

what kind?

niro ev

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

it’s breddy good, although kias’s one pedal driving game is weak compared to the leaf i had.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Niro Burning Coal

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol i saw an article a few days ago pointing out that because of the new kia logo searches for "KN car" are way up

while that's dumb as hell, i can see why. the logo is loving terrible

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

(in before KlowN car)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

mystes posted:

Niro Burning Coal

niro idled while coal burned

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I like the distinctive sound my diesel engine makes, got that extra “clunk”ness

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

you're back already and driving heinrich?

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Narp, flying back right now and pick the car up probably Monday. Then it’s road trip planning time

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

https://youtu.be/n17B_uFF4cA

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lol. that poor rider.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
what ev you got beep

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beep did you write this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

lol i saw an article a few days ago pointing out that because of the new kia logo searches for "KN car" are way up

while that's dumb as hell, i can see why. the logo is loving terrible

A bunch of people in the car forum are super salty about it too. I don't understand it. I saw that logo for the first time, was like "oh wow, a new car company?" then 5 seconds later "oh, nah, just kia with a new logo."

But then again not everyone is a chad shape rotator like me

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Beep did you write this

that’s unacceptable, even for me.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Kenny Logins posted:

what ev you got beep

i have a red 2022 kia niro. yeah, it’s pretty cool and so am i.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

the new Kia logo made me think NiN started their own brand for a day or two

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

the kia logo looks like an n in a rearview mirror so the brain does a thing a un-mirroring thing and you think it's kn for a few seconds before you finish un-mirroring.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i’m illiterate so idgaf about any of that

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

i have a red 2022 kia niro. yeah, it’s pretty cool and so am i.
cool. i'm on a list for a 2022 kia ev6

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Kenny Logins posted:

cool. i'm on a list for a 2022 kia ev6

nice, man. i’m jealous.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
saturday night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7Bj1dBMYBE

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

yeah, all right

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

wife accidentally put a nug of cat food in the weed grinder. it’s party time.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Roosevelt posted:

hope you're ready for the catbus high

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oETPccnOnDA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Roosevelt posted:

lol

heres where i shamefully admit eating one of those cbd dog treats. eggy doesn't like them and i can't blame him but they were like $35, i'm not just throwing them out