Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtImIqR5neU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

rotor posted:

i once heard the expression "like two monkeys fuckin' a football" and i have never completely recovered

this one was pretty common growing up. idk how much of that is regional
and how much is my dad being a construction worker

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

hbag posted:

is this the rest of my life
getting up at awful times just to go to work and then go home exhausted five days a loving week, forever
is this seriously loving it

hbag:

yospos:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

hbag posted:

itd be nice if the fuckers handling my stocks & shares ISA actually knew how to invest in poo poo

how am i at an 8% loss. good lord. i know the economy is hosed but jesus christ man

my 401k is down 17.3% lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

flames/oilers is appointment television

lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fart simpson posted:

how are you gonna determine top 100?

a completely arbitrary and capricious system that only i have input on

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I don’t know what my rrsp is down by but I also don’t care right now because I just automatically throw money into it every pay period and it won’t be something I need to care about for another 30 years

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my stocks are down too but who cares everyone's are. we're all just along for the ride and we hope to the number god that we can retire at the crest of a wave

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thats right

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ya

as long as number doesn’t hit zero I think it’s fine. I’m not sure how 401ks work since if you don’t own a stock but a pool of fractional stocks or whatever and they adjust it all the time, it’s hard to say if positive double will increase from 0

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

graph posted:

flames/oilers is appointment television

I yelled at my screen when lucic checked the goalie mike smith and his helmet came off

https://twitter.com/BR_OpenIce/status/1528567072074002433

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

if number hits zero we’ve all got bigger problems with our retirement plans then our savings accounts suddenly being empty

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

gotta quote myself, that huge crowd of people they show are people who can't afford tickets to get in, so they hang out outside.

this is battle of alberta and very important to us in edmonton and calgary

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I don't know americans so I can't explain how important this battle of alberta is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0aPLB52RgI

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
poo poo is irrelevant as long as oilers beat the flames, it's a mini stanley cup

matti
Mar 31, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OacGK8OHibU

there is my own dumb hockey poo poo in town

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Jonny 290 posted:

a completely arbitrary and capricious system that only i have input on
I propose a system based on who has the fattest, juiciest tits

I don't mind not being in the top 5

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

matti posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OacGK8OHibU

there is my own dumb hockey poo poo in town

finns and nords are the only people who can keep up with hockey outside of canadians

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I propose a system based on who has the fattest, juiciest tits

I don't mind not being in the top 5

Hot drat, finally a competition I stand a chance in!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRYkgAuEau4

matti
Mar 31, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA9K_pD2IyM

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I yelled at my screen when lucic checked the goalie mike smith and his helmet came off

i was surprised people weren't climbing over the plexiglas to kill lucic

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Achmed Jones posted:

best dog pics

yo

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
eh that was kinda lovely to do w/o material

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

briefly woke up and felt like i couldn't breathe in my half-asleep state so i don't know if that's sleep apnea or just my brain not being fully awake yet

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

rotor posted:

wow a whole eight percent!! just an unbelievable loss in todays market.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

weird weed stats but okay

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you will be buying for 20-40 years and selling for the 0-45 years after that, so dont complain at reduced prices, cuz thats a sale

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you will be buying for 20-40 years and selling for the 0-45 years after that, so dont complain at reduced prices, cuz thats a sale

not how a stocks & shares ISA works
the company, nutmeg (owned by jp morgan), trades on my behalf and they just take a tiny percentage of the pot's value every month

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they buy the individual equities, munge them into the mutual fund, you buy the mutual fund. it got cheaper for the equities

it also looks like nutmegs fees are closer to highway robbery than a tiny portion

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 24, 2022

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007
when you put in £500 to your ISA, that £500 is used to purchase shares in equities or bonds. This is true even if you've chosen a ready-made or managed option, Nutmeg just picks them for you.

If those equities are "down" next time you put it more money, you'll be getting more of them for your money. They're on sale.

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007
I know the standard (good!) advice is "dont time the market!!!" but with the market being what it is lately, it's tempting to take some cash and buy some lump sum shares of VSTAX or smth.

I'm already maxing 401k and IRA contributions on a monthly auto-buy, so this would i guess be a post tax purchase

matti
Mar 31, 2019

give me your money

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007
send a prospectus. if it's yospos enough maybe you can get some other investors here to buy in also.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Low-Pass Filter posted:

send a prospectus

there's gold in them thar markets

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

was wondering why my eyes were starting to drift and get heavy and then realized it felt like i was breathing incredibly shallow if at all

hmmm maybe i should see a doctor

or maybe im just loving tired idk

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
one thing they don’t warn you about is the amount of really bad filler work in central london

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Low-Pass Filter posted:

I know the standard (good!) advice is "dont time the market!!!" but with the market being what it is lately, it's tempting to take some cash and buy some lump sum shares of VSTAX or smth.

I'm already maxing 401k and IRA contributions on a monthly auto-buy, so this would i guess be a post tax purchase

ya as long as you got your pretax poo poo on lock doing post tax is fine, just make sure you don't want that money for other bullshit

ibonds are like 9% until october which is goddamn wild and indication of us being hosed but i don't know exactly how

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9XgvkkVmhM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Share Bear posted:

ya as long as you got your pretax poo poo on lock doing post tax is fine, just make sure you don't want that money for other bullshit

ibonds are like 9% until october which is goddamn wild and indication of us being hosed but i don't know exactly how

fed needs to raise rate to curb inflation. raised rates means more difficult debt service on the fiscal side (the actual governments debt - the fed is under govt control but is de facto a paragovernmental entity). fed has no mandate to give a single gently caress about this. their ostensible dual mandate is control inflation and reduce unemployment, in actual practice its like 90% controlling inflation. they did a good job doing that by crushing workers until the roni hit, basically.

dollar hegemony means the entire world is now along for this ride.