Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

I got in trouble freshman year for having a single-cup coffee maker in our dorm room - I had left it on the stone windowsill over spring break and some busybody saw it in the window and reported me

my punishment was to make a poster about why this was bad and hang it up on the bulletin board in the lounge. I never made the poster

why was it bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

hbag posted:

i have some of my stepdad's records and also some records that i bought myself

I last bought a record when I was a teenager and that was before most of the people in this thread were even born

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

I got in trouble freshman year for having a single-cup coffee maker in our dorm room - I had left it on the stone windowsill over spring break and some busybody saw it in the window and reported me

my punishment was to make a poster about why this was bad and hang it up on the bulletin board in the lounge. I never made the poster

When I was working at the cemetery, our "social spaces" (i.e. break rooms, changing rooms, shitters etc.) were in one building but there was a men's side (small) and a women's side (big), both with their own kitchen appliances. I thought it would be nice to have some toast on the morning coffee break so I brought in my own toaster that my sister gave me on my birthday. One of the women saw it through the picture windows and started pestering the foreman that the women (just her, in reality) wanted two toasters because there's more women than men. The foreman was slightly puzzled.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

cjs: I am now the data migration witch at work and I hate it because I have like a week or two to fix data that who knows how many years of how many people loving it up

cls: I'm going in on Tuesday to schedule getting my testicles removed

hey congrats, on both honestly—you’re probably the data migration witch because they know you can do what needs to be done and do it well

even if you don’t particularly like the task, it can be a form of recognition, which in turn can be a form of leverage

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

eschaton posted:

I last bought a record when I was a teenager and that was before most of the people in this thread were even born

your in your late 50s to early 60s?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

condolences and grats, respectively

related cjs: just sent a hi-im-trans email to work, am now proceeding to violently hurl from stress

hey, congrats on coming out! it’s a big step and a demonstration of how far you’ve come!

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

fart simpson posted:

why was it bad

cuz it could have burned the dorm down I guess somehow

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i think if you wanted to do that a coffee machine wouldn’t be an efficient way to go about it

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fart simpson posted:

i think if you wanted to do that a coffee machine wouldn’t be an efficient way to go about it

they wouldn't have mandated cut-offs nowadays unless people had died of coffee machine (which is carbitch ha ha ha i sniff my rose very good)

e: this (no deaths) was caused by a coffee maker that did have the automatic cut-off. electric appliances are always a risk https://www.is.fi/kotimaa/art-2000008379370.html

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Aug 5, 2022

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

my first week of freshman year in college a student died of a heroin overdose in the dorms. are you saying we should ban that too?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fart simpson posted:

my first week of freshman year in college a student died of a heroin overdose in the dorms. are you saying we should ban that too?

dorms yes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

where should students live then

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fart simpson posted:

where should students live then

apartments

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Aug 5, 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
kalamazoo is this way with respect to the university of kalamazoo and kalamazoo had for a long time the highest rental yield in america, maybe the rich world - 50%

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its still like 20% after insane housing appreciation (like everywhere else in america). compare to like, sub-1% in shanghai

so, de facto there, market prices in them completely fuckin wrecking the place after 2-5 years

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
cjs: :fuckoff: but it's a phone getting smashed

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Zamujasa posted:

cjs: :fuckoff: but it's a phone getting smashed

I'm on vacation this week and I got an email from a shithead coworker today telling me that things were intensely hosed lmao

dude could have sent that email several days ago but nah

putting outlook on mute until 9am on monday

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I didn't know we had Newfies in yospos
*eye twitch*

well played

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I didn't know we had Newfies in yospos

i wish, i loved newfoundland. puffins and icebergs and hilarious accents, oh my

just visiting with some in-laws on cape breton atm, land of scottish acadia

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

arcadia

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Repping the yospos page

e: wait poo poo

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Gonna blame it on endianess even though it doesn't work

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

eschaton posted:

“subluxation” isn’t a thing, chiropractors are quacks

yes they are, i have a gene disorder

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

fart simpson posted:

that same year a student in my dorm got expelled for cleaning his rifle in his dorm room… while naked

also the fire alarm got set off multiple times by people microwaving things wrong and we all had to evacuate in the middle of the night

I took that same coffee maker to my first job and I didn’t burn it down either

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

gotta clean your guns in your underwear at least

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

friend of mine got expelled for bringing a gun into his dorm and he wasn’t even naked. that’s bs

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They had to specifically ban indoor (charcoal) grilling at the Overstudent Village because one guy burned his apartment down.

https://www.hs.fi/kotimaa/art-2000004049513.html

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

fart simpson posted:

gotta clean your guns in your underwear at least

was really surprised he wasn’t at least wearing some stained tighty whities

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

is that not a masturbation joke

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
cape breton island is nice this time of year, as are most of the maritimes

going to pei with my family next week for vacation. looking forward to it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Kenny Logins posted:

cape breton island is nice this time of year, as are most of the maritimes

going to pei with my family next week for vacation. looking forward to it

right on, we were thinking of popping over for a night but it’s gonna have to wait til next year. i haven’t made it to the island yet

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CJS: Only ½ an hour to go and it's perjantai saatanan saattanaa!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0POGVCxE9U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOG57p7I_cM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9jHiifI74Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GY9DWIfpwc

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

cjs: oh man this entire team is falling apart

I feel really bad for the people we just hired onto the team. they’re coming on just as everyone is leaving, and I don’t know if el goog does the “we’re closing your team so you’re no longer employed, bye” thing. if it does, lol, lmao. I wanna make it past my start date so that I don’t have to pay back the signon bonus so please let the team stay afloat until then

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 5, 2022

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I feel really bad for the people we just hired onto the team. they’re coming on just as everyone is leaving, and I don’t know if el goog does the “we’re closing your team so you’re no longer employed, bye” thing. if it does, lol, lmao. I wanna make it past my start date so that I don’t have to pay back the signon bonus so please let the team stay afloat until then

they don’t, you’re fine

they’re more likely to sack people making over a certain amount who’ve been around for a long time than the new hires

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

they don’t, you’re fine

they’re more likely to sack people making over a certain amount who’ve been around for a long time than the new hires

institutional knowledge is a poison and it must be destroyed

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

this was me my first week. they did a few welcome to new company intros then a long string of "sad to see you go!" for people with 2-3 year tenures (which is pretty long at this place it seems)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

eschaton posted:

subluxation means dislocation. the chiropractor story about vertebral subluxation causin all disease is fanfic but subluxation just means dislocation

quite separately if hbag believes in chiros theyre hosed but a lot of the basis for the popularity of that bullshit in america is american medical care costin too mucb so peeps turn to quacks instead, which is not a problem in nhs-land

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i know an american chiropractor who moved to china to open up a clinic here. he said almost all his money is from american expats, hardly any locals go

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

eschaton posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

fart simpson posted:

i know an american chiropractor who moved to china to open up a clinic here. he said almost all his money is from american expats, hardly any locals go

i imagine thats because the locals go to acupuncturists