Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

hbag posted:

how is it already 9 PM i gotta make dinner and ive barely settled in

this has been my experience of adulthood, except it’s usually later than 9pm

Tayter Swift posted:

current job status: trying to do ETL on a 40gb fixed-width file and getting real pissed at all the weird gotchas of pandas and dask

current grandfather status: his dementia-riddled brain is ramping up his separation anxiety again and hes calling every loving hour while im trying to work and im tired of it

oof man, that sounds frustrating. I haven’t had grandparents in a long time, so i don’t really know what that’s like. but I hope you can find a way to ease his anxiety without exceeding your own boundaries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Fortaleza posted:

Think I'll save up for a manual transmission swap at some point

are there any decent manuals for mercs? I thought I remembered reading that none of them were any good

you sure you got enough fluid in there? your description in the weekend thread sounded like not. bad vacuum modulator usually manifests as really late shifts iirc

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

lord fifth posted:

cjs: a systems engineering team asked me to fix a program written by an (actual) engineer and the solution was just adding a data structure from first year bs cs poo poo. they had given up on the program and set it by the wayside for three years because they couldn't figure out how to handle signal inputs being interrupted by new signals before ending

is this a cjs moment ??? i'm still learning how to post !!!

Fortaleza posted:

Reminds me of the very first thing I fixed as a professional dev 18 years ago when I worked at a bearing manufacturer and was the first and only programmer. One of the MEs had written a job to sort scans of drawings and it took > 24 hours because they did selection sort, which is pretty intuitive if you'e never learned algos. Switched to heap sort and it ran in 10 minutes and I was basically King Sort of gently caress Mountain

im an electrical engineer who makes lovely matlab scripts to process data dumps from like an oscope or something, and i pray an actual programmer never sees them

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

quarantinethepast posted:

Learn to use python. The numpy package blows Matlab out of the water.

And Matlab is a 1-indexed language *shudder*

i use my current thing cause im familiar with it, and it works well enough, not because its the best tool for the job

plus my past experiences with python have been negative

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I only drink ciders or mixed drinks like rum and coke or Caribbean Mules

as a special treat I like to get bourbon and make bourbon sours or old fashioneds

beer just is not my thing. I don’t like bitter and the general flavour is just not refreshing at all

have you tried sours? I similarly hate bitter, thought I just didn’t like beer for the longest time because whenever someone would hand me “a beer” it was always some terrible craft ipa, but now I’m a “(dry) ciders and sours” guy

some pilsners and other low-ibu stuff is good too, but it’s not my main thing

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

jony neuemonic posted:

i like my house but i also liked not being responsible for anything. pros and cons.

not being responsible for anything goes hand in hand with not having agency over anything, though

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Gnossiennes posted:

got a pax 3, liking it so far. it certainly vapes the weed and heats up much quicker than my old one

also tried to explain bass pro shop to a californian zoomer today, which turned into trying to explain cracker barrel, and somewhere along the way i ended up realizing that funko pops are just plastic precious moments figurines

that’s kind of weird; we have bass pro shops in California too

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

same. I just woke up from an accidental nap at my work desk a little bit ago

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Kenny Logins posted:

what do you call a deer with no eyes
no eye deer :shrug:

what do you call a dead deer with no eyes
still no eye deer :shrug:

and where do you find a dead deer with no eyes?
right where you left it!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
why are you up so early on the weekend, ya weirdo

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

hbag posted:

he has admitted to having a crush on me and dont tell anyone but i also have one on him

wow, you have a crush on a guy you’re loving? you better take it slow or you’ll be holding hands or something equally degenerate

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Beeftweeter posted:

i dont know anyone that actually calls it tylenol other than super olds anyway, because lmao @ paying like $9 for 24 acetaminophen

u mean generic tylenol?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Jonny 290 posted:

had a banger of a set tonight, we had a great time. uploading the recording soon

post it when done. i was unable to listen live but i could use some dnb this weekend

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

graph posted:

folks it is officially fuckin cozy season

then whys it keep getting colder, windier, more gloomy and lovely out

soon it'll start raining and then outside is cancelled :(

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Beeftweeter posted:

it's actually kinda strange, sometimes when my wife wants to be sneaky and speaks to me in korean i sometimes answer in spanish without thinking about it.

super weird because obviously spanish is not my native language either and i do usually know how to properly answer in korean :confused:

this has almost happened to me a couple times, i think it's because spanish was the first "second language" i learned, so when i need to use not-english my brain will default to that even when it's wildly inappropriate

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

KidDynamite posted:

3:15 is not a good time to wake up, body.

its a pretty decent time to go to sleep, though

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

hbag posted:

my best bet is to find a gay bar and pray some top Takes The Hint

so that you can ask him if it's ok to go to your lecture?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

carry on then posted:

that's a relationship that's already underway. i'm talking about meeting new strangers in public. nobody wants to be approached by the one weirdo wearing a mask when no one else is. besides, nobody should be out at social events anyway. critical errands only.

surely the people you’d be interested in, due to them having a compatible lifestyle to yours, would also not be hanging around in public. who cares what the unmasked folks out and about think, they arent who you’re after. you might have to leverage technology to find them, since they’ll be at home like you are

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

bump_fn posted:

depending on how cheesy the pizza is microwave and then skillet can be a good faster substitute

just use the skillet, no microwave needed

lil bit of oil in the pan so the bottom crisps up, pour in some water so it steams the top of the cheese, put on a lid

might have to re-up the water a few times, but otherwise just leave the lid on. go until it's hot

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
theres a perfectly good solution to tin whiskers, it's just too bad it's lead

so ill just keep using 63/37 for anything that really matters

lead free isnt too hard to rework if you have a good enough iron, but to gnossiennes' point yea its gonna have trouble lasting 30 years

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I have my atv downmix to stereo before putting it out the HDMI. I don’t trust the other devices to do the right thing. so far, I can’t tell the difference between a 5.1 stream that it downmixed and a 2.0 stream that came that way, on the media that have both.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Jonny 290 posted:

getting the important things configured on the stereo

I’m surprised that this device is called anything other than “SOUND ONLY”

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

graph posted:

im liking how more and more in here are embracing nap culture

other peoples have had this figured out for millenia

I just fell asleep at my desk, op. does that count?

I think someone noticed, but he didn’t say anything

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Gnossiennes posted:

already got a couple versions of the verification letters (w and w/o salary), thankfully. altho it still sucks because i only ever reached engineer ii and it says so (but also secretly i'm not even an engineer :ssh:)

you were there for eight years and never made it past E2? it sounds like you stayed at least five years too long. here’s to hoping the next gig treats you like a person

E: oh you said you made it to E2, but not past it. so it’s more like 3 years too long. misread it the first time whoops

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Beeftweeter posted:

on every car i've driven with a PDK the manual mode was pretty counterintuitive, i.e. pull the shifter down to shift up. you get used to it, but the real mindfuck is that a lot of cars with paddle shifters don't follow the same conventions, sometimes they will be the opposite of what you expect and sometimes they're not (to this day i still have no idea if there is a "correct" way)

isn’t that normal? for a normal manual H-pattern shifter, higher gears are towards you in the same vertical gate

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah i mean it makes logical sense, but anyone that was driving it and tried it without asking me about it first invariably made the same mistake

do they have good habits from driving a standard transmission?

Elder Postsman posted:

also because you're shifting up as you're accelerating so pulling the stick back towards you is, like, with the g-forces, if that makes any sense

this makes sense to me

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Beeftweeter posted:

i've never been to korean costco (the memberships are separate from us costco)

that’s weird, is Korea a special case? normally, Costco memberships work worldwide

I’m jealous that they have the combo slice and onions for their dogs. US Costco has really dropped the ball on the food court

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

President Beep posted:

can someone tell me why in the hell youtube doesn’t have 15 or 30 second jump buttons? wtf is their problem?

it’s not exactly the same, but ‘J’ and ‘L’ skip by I think it’s 10 seconds. ‘K’ is play/pause

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Jonny 290 posted:

and , and . go single frames forward and back!

yeah that just seemed even further from what he wanted since he asked about 30 seconds, lol. didn’t know about the page up/down ones though

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

PokeJoe posted:

covid sports

it’s in your lungs

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Fortaleza posted:

My car is cool

same. when I don’t get to drive for more than a few days I really miss it. driving to/from work is often the high point of my day. can’t make the good brap brap with a bus or whatever

dioxazine posted:

i think most of would prefer public transport if it were an option in our daily lives

if you've done it in asia within the last decade, you've been spoiled for the rest of the world at large

when I went to China for work a few years ago everything was by taxi or super slow bus. didn’t seem great to me

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

unfortunately having fun vroom vroom noises means substantially more effort and cost in ownership lol

nah wrenching is part of the fun

even if it isn’t for you, it’s still worth it. just costs a bit more

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Achmed Jones posted:

I know that one way - probably the intended way - to read this is that you just freakin love driving

but that other way, oof man. _oof_

its kind of some of both? work is a stress-generator, and home ive got a bunch of stuff i should be doing too. but in between, i dont have to think about any of that, and i can rip through the gears and make angry V8 noises, or just cruise with my arm out the window. its very enjoyable, and can be anywhere on the scale between "gratifying" and "relaxing".

e: ^^ i have one of those too, but only just got started with that so im sure ill get there eventually. right now its pretty intimidating! definitely a different kind of fun than muscle cars though, so idk if it's strictly an upgrade. more like an addition, it won't replace the other thing

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
sw33t

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

my previous job had "summer hours", where they magnanimously allowed us to work an extra hour monday through thursday so we could leave four hours early on friday

man that sounds great. we already are gonna be at he office late during the week, so getting some time off on Fridays to make up for it sounds like a big win

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

lord fifth posted:

my landlord hosed up and double booked my unit so i got upgraded to a much nicer unit for free 😎

I hope you aren’t dealing with the same slumlord that I had when I was going to school in SJ! guy was a real weirdo

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Elder Postsman posted:

the worst are the ones that just take single keys as actions. on more than one occasion i've thought i was typing something in slack but no the jira ticket on the other screen was actually focused so now it's all hosed up and i have no idea what i did to it.

remember when active/inactive windows were distinguished by more than "window title is slightly lighter"

modern UIs are garbage

fake-rear end blinking cursors that lie about having focus are evil

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

20. mostly because i was not in any really state to stop them until then. once that nurse gave up the got one of the phlebotomists from and they nailed it in one.

Aaaaaaa gently caress

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

while we’re on emoji chat, anyone using non Simpsons coloured gesture emojis is sus

extremely this. 8 reactions of yellow thumbs up, then one person who went out of their way to specify white skin tone :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
czech pilsner colin :cheers: