Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
a startup i used to work for and own private stock in is getting bought and they sent me a bunch of stuff to sign that I do not understand at all

is this a "pay someone to explain it to me" situation? If so, what kind of person should I seek out? I understand this so little that i don't even understand who might be able to understand it.

also is this situation generally good news or bad news? afaik IPO is the good news so I would guess that this is middling/bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

is it glitch lmao

i wouldn't say if it was because it seems like stock laws are the only laws that are enforced for people like me who can pass for cis/het/white/male; but it wasn't glitch for sure

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Corla Plankun posted:

i wouldn't say if it was because it seems like stock laws are the only laws that are enforced for people like me who can pass for cis/het/white/male; but it wasn't glitch for sure

fuckin lomao just found this "the Purchase Price is less than the liquidation preferences of the Company’s Preferred Stock, no portion of the Purchase Price will be available to the holders of the Company’s Common Stock"

coool i guess they can just do that huh? at least i didnt have to pay a lady to explain the document to me

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Same but Pride Month

lmao

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

all the work stuff is true but the main thing i wish i knew when i was younger was that when you gently caress up at work, nobody gives a poo poo at all

i once accidentally shorted out a microcontroller dev kit during an internship and i was so ashamed and scared that i was going to get in huge trouble and it turned out nobody cared at all, and they never do and never will. So stressing about work is a huge waste of time as long as you're not a doctor or something where failures can actually harm human beings

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

did wkuk always look like poo poo or are they just really good about takedowns for decent quality rips? every clip on youtube is so so gnarly

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

lol at the examples with correct python indentation

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i've been using bing a ton lately because i guess i am in some a/b testing group on google where it is extremely loving terrible for me

like, google for "thing", click first result, ctrl-f to find "thing" in page: Phrase not found

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i hate that!!! just cancel the thing if it isn't important enough to schedule around :argh:

if I've got nothing for a 1 on 1 i ping the people and cancel it unless they need to bring something of their own.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

we had a script that would build a docker image and deploy it with some extremely basic if/then stuff for specific environments and it looked insanely complicated because gravy or whatever is a real bad language with seemingly no syntactical sugar for jenkins jobs despite the fact that it is its only known use???

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

The_Franz posted:

that's still a 7+ hour drive each way, and the cost of the ticket was barely more than gas with current prices

plus, i did a long haul drive two weeks ago with my parents in tow to see my brother get his phd. i've had enough of highway driving for a while

this seems impossible unless you live on the end of a hilbert curve or something

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

at one of my old jobs the principal data architect committed admin creds to the repo and just didn't do anything when i pointed it out

those creds probably still work and the db was always publicly accessible, gg

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i just had golden tilefish for the first time on saturday and it was one of the goodest things i ever ate. hope you can eat the white fish soon!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

dioxazine posted:

you just need to manage your changes. there's a process for this

lmao nothing says "you will accomplish nothing in this job and spend days waiting for even the simplest requests" like a job description that uses the phrase "Change Management"

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

hbag posted:

cjs: trying to figure out why this loving static var is saying it's 0 when it should be 1

i bet its js scoping being weird and the var being declared more than once

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

did science ever decide if energy drinks were bad? it seemed like the vitamin B blasts were implicated in male cancers or something a while back so i stopped drinking them (plus i never really liked them in the first place) but i don't know if that connection ever panned out

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

FINALLY some programming for people with asd that isn't about faffing about in space

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

black bears are cool because you get all of the good parts of cool and big bears but they also scare so easily that you're nevr really in danger as far as i can tell

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

carry on then posted:

cjs: the team in the eu that we work with is getting more brazen about scheduling 8 am (my time) meetings with less than 24 hours notice and i'm in a foul mood

reject the meetings!!!

if you feel bad for rejecting you can send an explanation but ive had more success just declining meetings and letting people come ask me personally for wat they want or what time slot works

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i feel like there's a lot of societal pressure on people to accept meetings but as an autistic person who doesn't feel hardly any pressure to conform to social mores I can tell you that you have nothing to lose but your meetings

decline all meetings unless you personally would get value from them! And if they're mandatory and more than 20 people are invited you can accept and then just not go, noone will notice! its free real estate!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

i recommend doing rest-and-vest while staying out of PIP and having a random startup ping you on linkedin for a new cool job with a big raise.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

literally stop working immediately and steal all your work supplies until they give you this missing money, then keep it anyway

this is good advice

if the company is going under everyone is going to steal poo poo at the end anyway so you might as well get the jump on everyone

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i wish you the best but having a specific group that is just architecture seems like it would be a huge invitation for bureaucracy and/or shadow ops stuff to ruin everything at a company

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i just listened to a podcast that interviewed a sleepologist and he said 68 degrees is the good sleep temperature

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i thought i was pretty good at diffeq and then my teacher did some hosed up poo poo with tension and chains and made a caternary and it made me feel like i was kidding myself the whole time and just learned how to do tank problems by rote

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Video Nasty posted:

cjs: welp I guess the decision was made for me to look for a new job. gently caress that old place.

i've been there and it sucks rear end. Sorry that this happened to you.

feels super lovely right now I know, but the job market is good and it won't take long to find a new opportunity if you can power through the funk and get some applications out there

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

born on a buy you posted:

the sun not setting until 10p is great except my daughters room is westward facing so it’s continual, “but the sun is still up”

i put some opaque vinyl on my daughter's windows because her south-west-facing room gets hot as balls in the summertime and it fixes this issue as a bonus

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Fortaleza posted:

what's the deal with cyanpos, how does one get it going? Feel like it'd be a good fit for summertimes

click on the yospos in the corner and then do the konami code

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

all the git guis i've used have been horrendous. the best ones are exactly the same as the cli except I have to take my hands off the keyboard to click on a button instead of just typing, and i've got a longstanding grudge with using the analog input device to enter in binary data

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

if it really is gigabit just get one of your neighbors to opt in and share with everyone else

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

hbag posted:

mailgun seems to need me to represent a company

e: tried mailjet and that, too, needs me to represent a company
is there any version of this thats for individuals, i mean i can see why there wouldnt be but come on

have you considered just making this a twitter bot that people could subscribe to and receive notifications from? or just send texts with twilio instead?

email has a lot of weird hazards about being labeled as spam &c so it is probably not the best choice if you basically just want to ping a phone with "sexHaver420redSox is doing his private, nude stream" or whatever

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

nice

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

every 7 months or so my bank decides that my Google Fi bill that I've been paying every month for 5 years is suddenly somehow fraud and i have to call and ask them to let me pay my phone bill

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

mushrooms are gross and taste like poo poo.

cjs: my favorite thing is how it was decided that for any incoming alert, rather than combining them into one ongoing alert, every repeat turns into its own new alert.

00:05 new alarm 177: warning: response times slow in dickbutt region
00:07 alarm 177 has been acknowledged
00:10 new alarm 178: warning: response times slow in dickbutt region
00:15 new alarm 179: warning: response times slow in dickbutt region
00:25 new alarm 180: warning: response times slow in dickbutt region
00:37 new alarm 181: warning: response times slow in dickbutt region
00:44 new alarm 182: warning: response times slow in dickbutt region
00:48 new alarm 183: warning: response times slow in dickbutt region
00:52 new alarm 184: warning: response times slow in dickbutt region
00:58 new alarm 185: warning: response times slow in dickbutt region

me: this isn't useful to anyone. we know there's an issue. i can get escalating or reopening if it's been unacknowledged and not worked on, but this is excessive, especially when it rings my phone every time.

boss: (literally) "turn your phone off"

:suicide:
i've worked at a few places that shifted to doing on-calls with crap like this and both times it was the clear beginning of the end

at this point I think i would start applying elsewhere the second my job decided to use one of these instead of just building poo poo that works (and/or fails nicely/quietly) in the first place

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

MrQueasy posted:

Love affair with Lao Gan Ma ended. Now in love with gochujang for extra yeast flavor.

i tried to buy this once at hmart but all the ones there had added sugar and that is just too far for me

i know its more common in asia to sweeten entrees but the average american is already poached in corn syrup and so i really can't imagine adding MORE sugar to my diet

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Shaggar posted:

i didnt even know that was a thing but it would probably be better on a corn tortilla

the thing about tortillas is a bad corn tortilla is ten times worse than a bad flour tortilla, but a good corn tortilla is 10x better than a good flour one

flour is the safe choice unless you really know your dealer well

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Do people really feel personally respected by the fact that slack emojis have skin tones? It seems really weird to me because the default emoji is not the color of any human's skin, and it almost feels like the implied message is that a thumbs up has a different meaning depending on the color of the person's skin which seems gross as gently caress.

i feel the same way about having multiple genders (e.g. male and female detective) that mean the exact same thing in use and would prefer that everything was gender ambiguous but at least with those it feels a little bit more like a representative choice of like "i am doing detective work" instead of just abstract "joy" or "agreement" or whatever

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i think it irks me because 1) the design choice slack made to show multiple skin tones is bad and it feels problematic to tally up the by-race participation in an emoji, and 2) i use the default ones instead of the extremely pasty white ones that match my gross body and i don't like to be reminded of that

im glad other people are getting a positive experience out of it though. i was curious about that.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Gnossiennes posted:

i like the gender neutral ones because they look more like me :shobon:

if i have the choice tho i use those weird lil turtle emoji kitchen mashups, they're v cute

wait a minute, once a new hire uploaded a whole suite of (unironically likeable) panda emojis and it just now occurred to me that she was (probably intentionally because she was v cool and good) providing the team with a gender neutral option for almost all of the common reactions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Fortaleza posted:

I turn all emojis and gifs off in slack so I just see ":+1:::skin-tone-3:" and ":homerwoohoo:"

lmao i didnt even know that was possible but it is definitely a valid workaround