Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Jonny 290 posted:

i just want to talk to somebody that truly understands that i tried to do everything right and worked really hard and ended up with Nothing

Me, I try to do things as wrong as I possibly can, especially according to what others think I should do.

... rejecting the "should" of myself or others and asking "so what will I do, sunk cost fallacy be damned?" in the moment has worked like 1000% better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Because I did everything right, played it safe, worked hard.

Ended up assaulted, abused, and horribly traumatized. Then tried to piece myself back together, ended up in the ER with my brains leaking out (literally).

Lost my career, teeth, hair, memories, skills, ability to walk or to talk. Or to think, as it later turned out.

Now I'm the champion of telling people who say it gets better to shove it. Things only get better when someone puts in the work, and there's no guarantees.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

The Fool posted:

jfc, some of you need hobbies

Angrily complaining is my hobby.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I also sew.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

congrats!!

I cannot imagine being unable to eat fish

I can.

I wonder if that's still true, a lot of things changed after my metabolism got unfucked.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Well then.

My backup drive is 1tb.

I may have a "little" more than that on the automated backup system.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The first time the EU did this, we did stop seeing so many custom cables, and I still have a box full of that nightmare garbage and it's so much better that everything's microusb or usb-c now.

And given Apple is already using usb-c chargers, this doesn't seem like something they will bother to fight.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I looked at my files, went "am I ever going to use this?", and hit delete on a lot of disk images.

Down to 900gb.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Ugh the weather is such garbage. 23C (~75F) with a 8 meter/second wind, and sunny.

At least it'll be cloudy tomorrow.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

as i largely share weather with you i am quite happy that you have a long history of not having your wishes granted

The temp and the wind are fine (it's a strong breeze), but I hate sunny weather.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Pollyanna posted:

na but this is correct, i inherently recognize the value in the core teachings of buddhism and laozi-style taoism, at least in the sense of what suffering and go-with-the-flow

but even then i am still woefully undereducated in the department, also it’s easier said than done lol

The entire point of Buddhism is that it can't be done, and that making yourself miserable over wanting to stop wanting things is silly in itself.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
There's a lot to Buddhism, but it all eventually ends/starts at the point of "only a perfect being could be free of desire (but that doesn't mean it's not loving you up)".

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Achmed Jones posted:

mercury emperors own, poisoning themselves while making GBS threads and screaming "WORKING AS INTENDED WONTFIX"

They never did truly die, and are doing the same thing in 2020, only with silver and horse dewormer.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Pollyanna posted:

cjs I took a Zyrtec and oh no oh god

Got the covids?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
cls: My left foot feels like I'm trying to hold a pen and write, and the pen keeps biting me.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I just realized I've been listening to synthpop for several years now, and really appreciate how it has evolved. I'm also an old presence in antiquated audio hardware scenes. I also grew back my shoulder-length hair.

... am I turning into a dad, step by step? The hippie kind, to be exact?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I've been a weird uncle for a decade, and it wasn't this.

It was a lot of video game collecting, hand-sewn costumes, and nerf guns.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I'm going to start childproofing my apartment just in case.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

rotor posted:

orange box peggle crew checking in

:ironicat:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

PokeJoe posted:

when you're 35 you can afford way better horny paraphernalia

And literally nobody cares what you do, as long as it's legal and doesn't harm anyone.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Kazinsal posted:

if you're good with semi-open backs, the AKG K240 Studio is still an absolutely god tier pair of headphones for the price point. bit goofy lookin but incredible sound quality and unlike the original 70s ones what had some incredibly overkill impedance the modern ones are 55 ohms so they can be driven by anything

Seen phones and motherboard sound chips where that isn't true.

Still, y'know, toss something like the FiiO E10K at them and they're great... well, most of them are great, after the manufacturer switch there have been a lot of QC problems.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Pollyanna posted:

well in that case I need to secure a backup mini-xlr to 3.5mm cable

The EK500S has been worth every penny.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

rotor posted:

i was given explict guidance wrt rocking the mic with the panty hose

ur old

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

bump_fn posted:

why so many new posts what happen

Britain.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

bump_fn posted:

i swear it wasnt me

It was hbag talking about food.

It's really hard to understand just how bad British food is until you've lived somewhere else and had to deal with that island for a while. There's a lot of idiots who go "no it's only the stuff in restaurants" / "it's not that bad just [excuse]" and they're so very wrong. Food crime island.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Lady Radia posted:

Transphobia, much like homophobia, does not give you bonuses to cooking. so far it looks like only racism does that

... you do realize how racist Britain is, right?

They're racist in ways that is shocking to people from other very racist European countries, because the racism is such a detailed tapestry of completely baseless prejudices.

There's three things that define Britain to the mainland. Food, which you expect to be bad, but then turns out it's not due to a lack of quality ingredients, it's just refusal to copy any ideas from anyone foreign. Racism, which you expect to be bad, but then it's just so incredibly intricate and detailed. And the fact that the British can't build anything, and it's shocking how badly made and shoddy everything is, to the point where you will constantly go "what kind of a person expects everything to be half-assed just so you don't have to learn anything new?".

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

ok yes but let’s not throw rocks from glass houses seeing what Finland does to pizza

Which pizza are you specifically referring to?

Because literally every pizza crime I can think of is made that way on purpose. They had a bad goal, they set out to accomplish it in unconventional ways, and they succeeded. It's the country that brought you linux, IRC, and cell phones. You shouldn't be surprised.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Lady Radia posted:

I don’t think that’s a meaningful distinction, Britain is TERF island because their meltdowns about someone brown is pretty similar to the mainland meltdowns about the Roma.

You haven't heard the British talk about Travellers then.

... how many different European countries does your family live in?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

The Fool posted:

for disadvantaged people, especially minorities, having a network of extended family is the only way to survive

My family is lovely sometimes (especially about the Roma, whoof), but they know that when the poo poo hits the fan, the family solidarity holds.

And it absolutely works vice versa too.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
And on the bright side, whenever it's me it's usually something techy the kids need help with.

And the kids are a lot less racist/homophobic than their grandparents. Mostly.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I still don’t understand why it’s not more common knowledge just how collaborative Finland was with the third reich in their efforts to keep the Soviets away

It's kinda like Swedes and that whole eugenics thing they had.

To be fair, that's the whites, and Finland has a lot of work done every goddamn year to keep the whites from regaining full control. Keep 'em busy in the swamps negotiating coalition agreements.

... because they absolutely would start with their poo poo again. It's a lot more "defund the poor" recently, there's words they don't allow each other to say. Joining NATO may be a blessing in disguise though, they can't use that to campaign anymore.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

just had a face to face encounter with a skunk out my front door as I was taking my dog out. I noticed one branch of the shrub was swaying but there was no breeze and then I noticed that the top of the branch was white and the bottom was black and it was also moving towards us. and then I saw it’s face as I was walking backwards towards the door

Shoulda shown it your posts to scare it off.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

PokeJoe posted:

i went to a parade today and saw a bunch of butts

They threw a parade to celebrate the crash?

There's no way you'd organize anything that fast with the blockchain, so I suppose they were showing off.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I have brilliant emotional regulation.

Have ever since I realized my career, the health of my teeth, and proper control over half my face were gone forever, and that from now on a good day was one where I was able to take a poo poo without pain.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

dioxazine posted:

to be fair, if you live in north america, your 5G might as well be 4G

If you live in Europe, lol 5G.

loving worthless and it's only used for really crowded spaces.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I know you all have nice apartments and even have houses, but I'm struggling, and I wont stop posting about it

I live in a drab concrete cave next to train tracks. The building retains heat so well that for a third of the year I need a fan running constantly.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I'm also poor.

I have free electricity, water, healthcare, medications, and rent.

Except dental.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I can't smoke weed.

Thanks, brain chemistry.

(It also blocks opiates, which made losing a chunk of my spine a fun experience.)

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

3D Megadoodoo posted:

i just realized "grindr offer" probably meant grindr wanted them to work for them, not what was on offer in the app

They probably prefer both, it's a lot easier to improve the app when you use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

The internet is bad.

America's also bad, but that isn't news either.