Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

fart simpson posted:

also, if you dont have much cooling in your homes, just do it? its not black magic, you can just install cooling systems. plenty of other places have done it, and done it recently

well you can't do it now because everyone else is doing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

fart simpson posted:

im not saying and individual person is dumb for not doing it, im saying at a societal level it should be prioritized

ah yeah

i never had ac at home in canada and you know what? disgustingly humid 35-degree summers with AC are far better than dry 28-degree summers without (for me personally who spends almost the entire day inside)

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

hangul is actually really easy to pick up, its super modular and just well engineered

it's so good that its invention is a holiday

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

MrQueasy posted:

Sorry I'm late to the ADHD talk... but this guy's suggestions are spot-on.

1. Take your stims.
2. Externalize your short-term memory as much as possible (especially time based things).
3. Find an accountabilibuddy to provide an external "ping" to non-judgmentally help you get back on track... even if they just hang out or something while you get something done. Pair programming is AMAZING for this (with the right person).
4. Learn to identify when you're in the throes of RSD and explore what you need to do to white-knuckle through it.
5. Revel in the way you handle emergencies. Neurotypicals cannot understand how much ADHD brains love adrenaline. (But use the stims so you don't make it a habit...)
6. Be compassionate to yourself. Your brain is different, not broken. Society is built by neurotypicals, and they will never truly be able to see things in the same way.
7. Most people in the workforce (epsecially figgieland) are dumb as poo poo, so if you can learn to handle the RSD you often can be a top-tier performer by doing what you can manage. (Spend a day fixing a problem... spend the next day unable to do anything useful except play Super Auto Pets, whatever...) you'll average out ok. I promise.

is super auto pets on ios?

seriously though I'm adhd too and this is good advice

wonder if I should look into getting meds, I've just been self-medicating with caffeine which works okay but I guess it's pretty dumb not to take care of myself properly

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

HamAdams posted:

:same:

i took meds all throughout childhood and through college and i hated how it totally dampened my personality, so i stopped taking them after college and i've been mostly doing fine by being aware of my tendencies and trying to better control my surroundings if i need to focus. i'm sure i could benefit from getting back on meds but i really hate the idea of going back to pumping myself full of amphetamines

yeah, I wasn't too keen on the meds I had in my teens. they'd make me hyperfocus, but not necessarily on something productive. and the appetite suppression wasn't healthy.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

also the LMAO rear end argument

oh its a rare out of print version, on page 372 there's a typo and it says "degneerates" this is gonna pay for my retirement

Aint nobody care about that busted rear end fuckin' book

I did read bits of it in HS. He was a dumb, whiny piece of poo poo that couldn't deal with the most basic life things and burned the world in response. Nothing of value is stored there.

i like how he says he's not a nazi because he only paid 50 cents for it, but expects to sell it someday for more money to... ??????

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I never knew about jis screws before and I'm pretty sure I've had a lot of them over the years (I'm blaming all my easily-stripped screws on that.) Funny that.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

at 9am sharp today i started getting flooded with phone calls from random korean people. normally I answer unknown numbers in english so if they're looking for someone else they know right away, but these people were very persistent and either would keep going in korean, or would hang up and call me right back

turns out that a public service center somewhere had added my number to their phone tree by mistake. if they had just listed my number publicly, people probably would have caught on immediately, but they had to navigate an automated menu first before being connected to me, which explains why they were so persistent after being connected.

we managed to reach someone to fix it within a couple of hours but that was weird

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

fun fact: "australia" in korean is "hoju"

apparently it comes from the japanese ho-su-to-ra-ri-a, but yeah when you hear it at first you wonder how that happened

always wondered why america is "miguk" and how it came to be one of the like 8 countries with a korean name

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

mystes posted:

I don't know Korean but n Japanese 豪州 ("goushuu" although it's almost never spoken and the normal word is オーストラリア ("ousutoraria")) means australia (derived from an older phonetic version of australia in kanji from when japanese did that) and I think it's probably just the Korean pronunciation of those hanja (well technically I guess 濠州 because Japan changed the character later to simplify it or whatever) rather than a direct Korean borrowing of ousutoraria

you could be right, i'm far from an expert.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

fart simpson posted:

you buy them at the store

specifically, the grocery store. and not in a package, but from the candy machine by the entrance. that's the only place these have ever existed.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

fart simpson posted:

alton brown told me to lightly salt my coffee and i tried it and didn’t notice a big difference

i don't know why salt works in an einspanner, but it does, and i haven't been able to make it work for any other kind of coffee

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

as a foreigner you get to opt out of 90% of the dipshit bullshit. as an ethnic korean person i dont. also the pay tops out at like 150 million krw tops for peeps who would be gettin paid 600k usd in american figgielands and cost of living is more comparable than you would think for non healthcare poo poo so lol

korea is a cost-of-living utopia compared to canada

i figure we're saving at least $4k/mo living here just from rent, childcare (free!), and goods generally being cheaper and higher quality.

heck even the first year of my car insurance with zero recorded history in korea was cheaper than my car insurance in canada with several accident-free years (and now it's less than a third of that)

also tax is way lower due to everything being deductible. like... everything. everything you buy is a tax deduction. we hired a professional to do our taxes and when they showed me the total i thought they were committing fraud.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

its better than the floods earlier this year when my neighbors dog died. it was an annoying fucker but didnt really have to die

e: drat it looks like actual peeps died then too

yeah they even banned new semi-basement suites after that. right after parasite made them in vogue.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

i was talkin the sf floods

anyhow, canada is turbofucked because they got the $2 million housing prices without the $400k total comps to go along with them

the good news is that housing prices deflated juuust enough that all the idiot speculators who bought $2m prebuild apartments in toronto at the height of the bubble are getting washed and crying about it

the bad news is that housing is still nowhere near affordable

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

so goddamn windy. half moon bay is reporting 33 knot (38mph) gusts but i bet it's more than that.

the other day i had to pedal while going downhill to keep my speed up. lol.

i love the sound of the rain pounding on the windows though

lol that is quite a picture

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

bump_fn posted:

i also suspect that seoul vs. not seoul is a huge cost differential as well. also the air quality is way better down south

oh yeah, that's true. everything's way more expensive in seoul.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

i went to this one cocktail bar in ginza one time. i think the name was masq. it was 2000 yen a cocktail, but the bartender was some sort of mixology master and all the special cocktails required a unique contraption to make. like one of them had this hinged wooden box and dry ice and I guess that chilled everything just right?

it was, by several levels, the best drinks i've ever had and i've never seen anything like it since.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

imagine you're in this dimly lit underground joint at 1am and you order the house special and this guy pulls out a 5 foot tall science kit from under the bar and starts smoking out the place

then hands you the best gin and tonic you've ever had

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

a while ago, i made a list of cocktail recipes (thanks to a friend for hosting) to have a one-page printed reference, there are a bunch of classics and some that i personally like. it's been a while, but believe i used the official iba recipe where possible

that's a great domain, no need to be shy :)

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Raluek posted:

that’s weird, is Korea a special case? normally, Costco memberships work worldwide

I’m jealous that they have the combo slice and onions for their dogs. US Costco has really dropped the ball on the food court

they sell their own memberships but I believe foreign memberships still work. although they only take cash or their proprietary credit card

fun fact: if you went to a costco food court about five years ago, you'd see at least half the people there eating "costco kimchi", which wasn't really kimchi at all but an entire plate full of hotdog condiments mixed together. they finally cracked down on that.

i went there last week and they had a ~$220k diamond ring just there on the floor right next to the entrance lol

costco korea isn't as great as us/canada though. for one, the grocery stores don't gouge you as much here, so most stuff isn't way cheaper (or in some cases, any cheaper) than you'd get normally online.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

i enjoyed it. poor joey :(

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

you hate the boomers in the korean govt who force this bullcrap on you

as a root perm dipshit plugin, it of course reduces the security of your box dramatically

it's the dumbest thing about living here

would be a thousand times easier and safer just tearing all that poo poo out and relying on browser encryption. but then i guess a lot of sites would have to migrate to https.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

i had always kind of assumed the rootkit bullcrap was a throwback to korea maybe getting online banking/public service a couple of years before browser encryption really became standardized but i don't really know the history

anyway i hate it

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

american cryptography export restriction. after the restrictions were over, just korean peeps bein ornery

i always forget that was a real thing

thanks, uncle sam

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

the most obnoxious pour i have ever experienced was a bar in downtown sf where i ordered a whiskey and coke, they put down a highball, poured like 7 oz of whiskey and a bit of coke in there

i suppose that technically i am getting value for money (well, the vc's money in that case) but come on

if that's not what you wanted you should have ordered a coke and whiskey.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

matti posted:

that was very good baseball game

it was. shame about mexico's pitching depth. they nearly pulled it off.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

the baseball was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

rotor posted:

how many bases were there?

think there were four but i'd have to see the replay to make sure