Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Radio Paranoia posted:

big same. if i could devote the effort i put into my work into a personal project i could probably figure something out but we just had a month where mrs paranoia's income was pure freelancing and it was a little touch and go without touching our long-term savings

i could try chipping away at a spare time project but the main thing is an idea which i'm clear out of

i have ideas but my brain doesn't handle constant work well--i need time after a workday to unwind and if i tried to write code in my downtime from writing code there's no way my mental health would be ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Not that it's great right now!!!!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

"all you have to do is to make the 1200th most popular game on steam all time"

not to mention the fact that people only buy the game once, sales are invariably gonna drop off over time. you might be able to go f/t for a few years on a game like that but it's not gonna set you up for life

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

yeah the games industry is hosed right now. my problem is i want to make video games because that is the thing that creatively excites me but lol @ trying to make a career out of it :negative:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

PokeJoe posted:

the fact that games don't make you any money is the best evidence for them being "art" yet

well apparently art is completely worthless, or at least significantly more worthless than making some rich gently caress's wealth even bigger

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

post hole digger posted:

yeah, working until you die is a popular retirement plan for many americans.

it's cool that at 33 i can expect to spend the next my-current-lifetime years working just for a chance at being able to retire at a reasonable time

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

i don't know why any of us put up with this poo poo, it's awful and nobody would design a system like this if they were given the reins

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

rotor posted:

like yeah i have a dishwasher now but i also have to work at a job that would have driven a 14th century peasant insane with frustration

14th century peasants got more downtime than the average american worker, lol+lmao

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

fart simpson posted:

yeah but i can come inside in the winter and take a 45 minute hot shower, any time i want

quality of life is not a linear scale, it's possible for life to be better in some ways now and worse in others

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Jonny 290 posted:

do you wfh? I've started taking a 10-20 minute walk around the block after coffee/poo poo/clothes but before i look at Bad Screen. then i do the same at the end of the day. it seems to help a bit

i recommend having a dog for this, it's nice to get out of the house to take him to the park in the morning and then go for a walk around the neighborhood after work

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

rotor posted:

the pandemic i think should have showed us how a general strike can and does work. Everyone should remember that lesson.

lol if u think americans are capable of any form of collective action

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

dioxazine posted:

running a dusty bookstore in a semi rural area

:yeah:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

my actual dream is my wife and i move to a small town and open a combination book store/game store that hosts like book clubs and gaming nights and stuff

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

fart simpson posted:

my cousin did this with her husband. now shes divorced, lesbian, and working for someone else again. buyer beware

oh no ill become

double lesbian :ohdear:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

rotor posted:

lestrian, then lesquadan

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

speaking of escaping capitalism how's joining a monastery looking as an escape plan in modern america

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

fuzhou deez nuts

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I'm sorry. That was rude of me.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

if it means i never again have to hear the words "standup" or "jira ticket" or "deliverable" i will accept giving up video games in payment

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

cjs: finally saw the terms of the pip and it's actually very reasonable, and the language my boss was using was clear that they want to hang on to me if at all possible. gently caress capitalism and all that but hopefully this works out

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

BONGHITZ posted:

notch is a pure being, yes

if you meet the notch on the road, kill him

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

greenpos 4 lyfe

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Fortaleza posted:

amber is for autumn and winter, green is for spring and summer

unbelievably unhinged behavior

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

rotor posted:

more restaurants should be boat style imo, idk why its just sushi

think bigger. sushi boats. hamburger trains. tapas hot air balloons. salad spaceships.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

i have seen conveyor belts, actual boats, and also "boats" that are just decorative platters that look like boats that are carried to the table. the confusion is understandable

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

putting a crouton under my dead relatives tongue so they can pay the ferryman to cross the river of stew

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Sagebrush posted:

it could fall on your face and kill you though.

even better!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

cjs: asked my boss a simple question yesterday afternoon and he never responded. asked him another question an hour and a half ago and has not responded. this is the same boss who put me on a pip for my work falling behind.

sigh

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

in general yes (he's the vp of engineering and a chill guy) but he's currently en route back home following an in-person demo a number of the studio heads ran yesterday (my boss not being one of them)

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

yeah that'd probably be wise

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

nudgenudgetilt posted:

even if boss's boss is traveling, you cc them

one message to your boss requesting info. wait a reasonable amount of time (24 hours), then a second e-mail to your boss requesting info, ccing your boss's boss

well it's slack DMs so unfortunately it's not as easy to share :/

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

lol he responded, three minutes before the meeting i wanted to prepared for

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

c weather s

planet's dyin' cloud

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

when u snart but she still helgin

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

work for a fully distributed workplace so you don't have to socialize with your coworkers off the clock, imo

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

text me

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

cjs we use architectural decision records as engineering design docs and i just wrote doc ADR-0069 :pcgaming:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

if i had a billion dollars i would make anime real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Armitag3 posted:

Everyone is their avatar