Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

cjs my work just hired a new senior person in my role and today I watched them spend 2 minutes trying to copy a file name to a scanned document but somehow gently caress it up over and over until they somehow accidentally deleted it. They then asked me where it had gone.

My work Outlook is linked to my name and department. My department is just me and this new hire. They forwarded me an email from our shared inbox with a "read" noticed attached. So I got the same email twice plus a notification that I'd read it.

I had to work from home (which contractually I am allowed to do 2 days a week) for a day because I needed to get a car towed off my mother's property. They ignored every message I sent via teams for the whole day. The next day at 5 pm they heart reacted to all the previous mornings messages they didn't help with.

I went through a file we needed to scan three times with them while they stickered everything and they somehow missed half the documents then blamed me.

I've been expected to train them. I've shown them how to close tickets and had them do it themselves a half dozen times over a week. They still maintain they have no idea how to close tickets and can't be expected to know the process by memory.

There's more but just trying to remember the past 4 days is hurting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

"You've hired someone who doesn't know how to type for a data entry job."

"So, when will you have them trained?"

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

PIZZA.BAT posted:

time to expense some training software

"A huge part of this job is typing. Especially numbers, you might want to start using the numpad."

"No, I hate typing."

They're getting paid more than me.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

CPColin posted:

Hey, can I bother you for a sec?

https://youtu.be/JpmPlr2XhFs

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

PIZZA.BAT posted:

c nih s: spinal taps aren’t fun just in case anyone was wondering of getting one for a laugh

drat that sucks.

should have got the one with an n̈

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

2 week s in and the new hire still can't figure out how where our tickets come in on the enterprise software

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

sending a long thankyou email to a teams meeting invite, reply all, with a send read response, while complaining theres no work to do.

i can't tell if I am being played or not

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Roosevelt posted:

they've already taken over management of your team. you call them sir now.

o7

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

The Fool posted:

cold weather best weather

My nipples agree

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Armitag3 posted:

making peoples screen shake lol bring that back

"Sorry guys I'm degaussing"

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

cool is all in the mind.

just think cool and you'll be cool.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Wouldn't "moose" be a better name for cows

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

The Fool posted:

c wildlife s:

rotor posted:

comedy moose option

these are the last read posts I saw lol

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I literally don't know you

https://youtu.be/_QWnCDYeYH0

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

cjs: i just talked to my tech lead and the project im starting in 2023 just got massively scoped up. i guess they think im good at my job or something

does this come with a raise tho?

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

cjs the new hire is in their 4th week and still can't figure out our ticket system. watched them update our shared spreadsheet where we keep track of things, they typed in the wrong numbers then tried to edit the the ticket to match instead of correcting their mistake

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

to be fair, why are you tracking anything in excel instead of just handling tickets on jira

I've only been there a couple of months and was trained by a temp who had no training themselves so I'm still winging it myself.

Also its records/info management using enterprise software and 3 legacy archive programs somehow.

Share Bear posted:

realtalk: how much training have they been provided on the process? and are they familiar with desktop computers at all? i am curious.

I have walked them through every aspect of the job at least a dozen times, they have taken pages and pages of notes and been given detailed walkthroughs on everything. They still ask the same questions about every process every 5 minutes all day every day. They apparently used to work something similar at a state level (I work for the city) IDK its probably not their fault, I am so loving frustrated that this person was hired. I have no personal problems with them but yeah they're out of their depth and its making more work for me.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

dig those wellingtons

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

c j s:

your posts now get shoved into my face at 1440p and 144hz

oh man this is a big difference

hbag posted:

im about to order pizza but i cant decide if i should get the garlic spread again
because last time i did it uh

was incredibly greasy

and i dont know what to substitute it with if anything

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

fart simpson posted:

cls: tried to make a gin and tonic and started out by pouring a bunch of vermouth in a glass. good start to the night

strong gin drinks always make me think of this

https://twitter.com/SenatorHume/status/1514530998499049473

she was a minister when she filmed this lol

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

"It's week five and you still can't close basic tickets."
"Because you haven't taught me how."
"I've shown you every step dozens of times."
"You show... But you don't teach."

I just stood up and walked out for like half an hour after that. This new hire is breaking my brain.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

it was flying around me and I was just ignoring it in case they can smell fear or whatever and then the fucker crashed into my eyebrow and stung me as I was almost through the log

conveniently, the log pinched the chain and the chain fell off a moment later, so at least I didn’t have the chance to do something any more dumb than that lol

read this without context and thought you got stung while taking a poo poo

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/michibot1/status/1567551094280146947

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

bump_fn posted:

good morning i’m drinking coffee

im eating olives

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Just noticed the power cable on the scanner at work

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/thesecret/status/1575863045900840960

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

dioxazine posted:

i've been released from labour and it's time for the weekend

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

e: this was dumb

Animal Friend fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Oct 16, 2022

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

cjs getting promoted to a senior position after 4 months in the field fresh from uni because this place is a clownshow

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

you're already bread
you're already bread
you're already bread
carve an x in your head

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

from todays company newsletter.

uh,

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

cjs: its friday and i just didn't go into work lol

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

can't be late if you just never show up

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

incoming large post so ignore if you want but hoping this will have some comedy value (it has certainly felt like a farce to me)

So almost a year ago I responded to an add to work for my local city. I had recently completed a degree in information management. This was a junior role in city planning and building records. Basically if any people/developers are looking at new constuction or renovations they go to the planning and building "records department."

I applied for the job - the interview was super long and awkward - I was unemployed and looking for work at the time, but the person who would be my manager was actively dissuading me from the job. The city had just transitioned to a new enterprise software and there was a total bungling of the data migration. There was a new database interface that didn't have any ability to bring up and records from the old enterprise software. All the previous Content Manager documents were technically in the new system but they didn't have any relevant metadata tags associated with them - so they were impossible to find. I was applying in late February of 2022,, the software change had happened in August 2021 and the two other people in the role (a senior and juniour position) both quit in december 2021. They had put a temp from the UK in the department - a guy with a politics degree they had taken from the city phone bank department who had been running things with zero training or oversight for months.

It was weeks and weeks after the interview until I heard back from them. I had the job and would start in 2 weeks. Great. Except then nobody contacted me with any more info. The Friday before the week I was due to start I found my managers number from the Teams inverview weeks back. The city has numerous offices and buildings and nobody had acutally told me where I needed to go and who to report to. My soon to be manager told me overr the phone and was super consescending - adding at the end that ""Someone should have told you this" - well, who?

Also at this point I want to note they required a physical from a doctor. It was totally loving bonkers. They did a full checkup - I had to fill out psychatric froms, do an eye test and a hearing test, provide a urine sample for drug analysis, the doctor made me run in place and check my heart, checked my lifting capacity, took off my shirt and checked my pressure points. I brought this up at the work christmas event and the City department head cracked it at my manager because my manager apparently ticked it on my recruiting form accidently... and billed the city for 2 hours at a GP plus tests.

So I show up on day one, the supervisor gives me work laptop. I can't sign in and get constant error messages so its time for a trip to IT. The laptop they gave me was marked as stolen - it belonged to a former employee who was a temp and the supervisor just took it when they left and never told anyone. They keep cycling through laptops (little Lenovo Thinkpads) until they find one that actually boots with my credentials. I note that its an older model and an i5 - most everyone else in the office has an i7. Not a huge deal for most buy my job requires sifting through huge amounts of digitised documents- often A0 engineering drawings, and its S L O W.

The next month is a total poo poo show. I don't get any help from management with any sort of guidance as to what I am doing. The temp trains me - they've no experience in information management or database software and have been winging it for months. The documents we manage are split between filenames auto generated by the old enterprise system, what was manually uploaded by dozens of individuals into Content Manager, and the new system in the new enterprise software which uses different naming conventions. The old programs still have read only access because like I said, the data migration was unsuccessful. Also CM is like the industry standard and all the other info management team (as well as others) are using it.

Except I don't have access.

My job is literally accessing archives and I wasn't given archives access or and software access to the legacy systems- or the new ones. My manager and superviser would tell me it wasn't their fault and to talk to IT - who would tell me it was my manager's perogative and to ask them.

Worth noting that this is planning and building records, and not only was I not given any formal training or even access to the database software, at no point was I given any introduction to planning or building documents. I would take calls and hear "I need you to provide my section 72" and have no loving clue what the caller was talking about - I had to learn that and the software they used on the fly.

It was 6 weeks before I actually had access to programs to do my job. I didn't even have a headset for meetings or phone calls for this time - something I kept brining up but also had to solve myself. Now remember when I said this was a 2 person department? Well the temp was defacto in the senior role since they were the only one there. I was employed in the junior role. Basically as soon as I had arranged my own access to the software I needed and got myself set up without managements' help they announced the senior was hired. She lives forever in my nightmares. They had hired someone functionally illiterate to by my boss. They never actually closed a single ticket themselves, just sat at the desk talking to themselves, opening old emails and bugging me about useless poo poo for 9 weeks before quitting. My time with this person is worth an effort post of its own. They were hired for a data entry job and couldn't type. They couldn't read emails. They didn't understand the concept of dragging files between folders.

This means that this 2 person job was still being done by just one person. When the "senior" quit they listed me as "acting" in the role. This was late August. I had at this point got into an ok work pattern but was insistant that I couldn't really achieve anything beyond the bare minumum because I was too pressed for time. My manager told me the role would soon be advertised (it was technically still free as I was, on paper, the junior - despite having run everything myself for months now) and that I should apply for it. But they never told me, I had to ask about it a month later when it was thankfully still in the pages. I applied and had the dumbest loving process. It was now the first week of December - I went into the interview with pages of notes about what I now knew about the City's software and databases and my plans to improve it. And I got the same generic intereview I'd gotten earlier that year. "Why do you want to work for the city" "What do you consider to be good record keeping". This from people who sat 3 metres from me and had seen me doing the job well for months. 3 Weeks later they made me interview again. I was told I would have and answer in a week. 4 weeks after that they told me I'm the preferred candidate. 4 weeks after that an email went out saying I had the job, but its not official in my employee profile and they've still not advertised the junior role. My manager, who was sitting at the next work station over from me, didn't mention anything that day.

Meanwhile, we had covid lockdowns here last year still. Summer here is december to february - so because of the heat and holliday season, building is off from mid december until end of January. Since it is now February I am getting a phone call every hour, people coming in in person demanding things, online applications and dozens of emails a day - not just the building industy starting up again but the covid backlog.

I've got 4 excel spreadsheets open tracking all the things I am working on every day plus pages of handwritten notes. I spent 2 hours thursday morning looking at all my inboxes and calls and tickets trying to organise them into something I could work through then realised it was impossible. I told my manager that I was having trouble doing the work of 2 people - they told me they could hire a part time temp. I didn't show up to work on friday or monday lol.

There's effectively been one person doing a job most cities have 3-4 people doing at this place now for over a year... And they act surprised whenever I bring up how I can't deal with the workload.

tl;dr: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKYivs6ZLZk&t=27s

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I know that tomorrow after 2 days off I'm looking at ~60 unread emails and at least 10 phone messages on top of the 2 week backlog I have.

So that's fun lol

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

cjs - listening to management chat loudly about holidays and trips they are planning while I still have an impossible amount of work to do running a three person department solo

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

cjs: went to a work drinks thing and when someone asked what I was doing on the weekend I answered "applying for other jobs"

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I also left by saying "you probably won't see me tomorrow, I don't want to be there."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

rotor posted:

theres a few good ones for western philosophy. Nietzche is actually a good writer. Wittgenstein is dense but had the common decency to at least be brief.

I'm also dense. Maybe I should pivot to philosophy...