Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

big :yossame:, wishing you well

you are a good person jonny and i appreciate having you around. please stay connected to your friends, yos or otherwise, and others who care about you. human connection is the most important part of staying healthy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i had a friend in college who drank about 18 bottles of wine a week, 2 a day plus a couple more on weekends, and after a while she turned distinctively yellow. she came over to visit and my dad took one look at her and told her to go to the hospital.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PokeJoe posted:

WB sagebrush I hope you had a nice summer

thank you. i had a very difficult summer but am recovering. please take care of your mental health and make sure to let people who care about you help you when you are struggling.

i don't think it is healthy for me to post post post like i used to, but i did miss talking about airplanes and motorcycles and 3d rendering and stuff. just no more hellworld poo poo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

non hellworld, just funy computer: i got to drive a friend's tesla for a couple of weeks this summer and have formed a firsthand opinion of it.

- actually a lot of fun if you just drive it as a car. fun acceleration, pretty good handling for something that heavy, quiet. electric vehicles are cool.
- surprisingly comfy seats.
- interior materials are cheap. corolla level, but toyota has better qc. not like actively garbage but lol at anyone calling it "luxury."
- don't like one pedal driving but i guess you'd get used to it.
- hate the big touchscreen with too many distractions. i was always looking at it and messing with it.
- pretty big turning circle and terrible rear visibility (model y).
- self driving cruise is pretty great on boring empty highways.
- self driving in the city is awful, i hate it, it tried to kill us at least once on every trip and it has no ability to do anything but react to what it can see immediately in front. it is just gas brake gas brake gas brake gas brake gas brake the whole time. it loving sucks.

i would still not buy a tesla but i would like an electric car now, i think.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

post hole digger posted:

what do you mean? do teslas not have a break pedal?

they do, but they also have a "one pedal driving mode" (which tesla recommends you use) where acceleration and braking are both blended in the right pedal. push down to send power to the motors, let off to start regenerative braking (rather than coasting). to maintain speed, you hold the pedal at an intermediate position. let off the pedal completely and the car will apply strong regenerative braking and quickly bring you to a full stop, blending in the service brakes at the end to hold the car in position. in normal driving, you generally do not use the brake pedal at all.

elon musk says this is great because it means the brake pads will last the life of the vehicle.

i feel like this may be unsafe because it's very different from how every other car works, and the idea of training people "try to never touch that other pedal if you can!" doesn't sit well with me.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that would probably have been a much simpler way to describe it, but i have never driven a golf cart so i didn't know that's how they work

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I got covid like a month ago, so I assume it was one of the omicrons. I had 2 bad days of fever and chills and shaking, then 5 days of an annoying cold, then gone. Didn't lose my sense of smell and have no lasting effects that I have noticed. (3x Pfizer).

Given that it's going to be an endemic disease, it's good that it seems to be getting milder and the vaccines at least make it less serious.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i got a flu shot for the first time a few days ago and it had no side effects. try to do the same imo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CPColin posted:

I'm combining it with COVID booster #2 so who knows

i combined mine with a tetanus shot so there is an irrelevant piece of information for you.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my ancestors came to Canada from Ireland in the potato famine. Tiocfaidh ár lá

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PokeJoe posted:

“We simply cannot imagine 20 quadrillion ants in one pile, for example. It just doesn’t work.”

idk. i'm imagining it right now. i used the figures in that paper to calculate it in a couple of ways, and to within an order of magnitude, i think 20 quadrillion ants would be similar to this image of all the human biomass on earth condensed into a ball:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

who's going to stop me?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

all i have to do is bring the queens to central park and the rest of the ants will follow.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also the company can start guilting people who take more than 0 days off as "not team players" etc because it's not like you had to take vacation to use it up, you just decided to let your team down

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fart simpson posted:

i went last weekend and my appointment was for 11am but i showed up at 8:30 and they fit me in before 9

i went to the doctor a little while ago for a hearing problem i'm having and they scheduled me for an audiology appointment. first available date is in december.

sure, in america you may have to pay a lot of money for healthcare, but at least it's the best in the world. you don't have to wait in lines like some commie

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if you have the means, i recommend getting a job as a professor. interesting balance of not being able to pick your days off (gotta make it to class and meetings) and total no shits given about when you work outside of that. i haven't taught on a friday in eight years

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'd certainly rather have gray hair in high school than be balding in high school like a guy i knew. if nothing else it gives you a good excuse and starting point to dye it weird colors

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Eeyo posted:

i'm pretty socially awkward/nervous so i would have hated becoming a professor. like the thought of teaching being a significant portion of my duties is, frankly, terrifying.

when i was younger there was nothing i hated more than giving presentations. i was extremely quiet and socially awkward and hated getting haircuts because it meant people would notice me the next day. i would have panic attacks and flop around and moan when once a year we had to give a speech in english class. public speaking was the worst torture imaginable.

now i have a job where i give presentations 4-6 hours a day 4 days a week and it's great. public speaking fires me up and i love being the center of attention. i will talk for as long as you let me about any subject you like. sometimes my friends in tech are freaking out about a presentation they have to give and i'm like lol, just give me your slides an hour beforehand and i'll do it for you, idgaf.

point is it's a skill you can develop and become comfortable doing, if you want to.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i'm starting to get a cluster of bright white hairs in my dark beard, i'll trim them a little shorter when i'm trimming the rest of my beard but i'm running out of energy to care

the first white hairs i got were a white patch on one side of my beard, which looked weird, but now i have the same patch on both sides and i look like dr strange or something so it's cool.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

people helping you can only ever harm you.

This is a totally wrong and really poisonous attitude. Humans are social beings and we are meant to rely on one another. No man is an island and all that.

Also we all know that what you're comparing to a coffin is your really serious health condition. You've said before that no one else can grasp its enormity, so okay, whatever. But you aren't the only person in history to have been dealt a really lovely hand. Countless people have experienced horrible losses, and though they can't get back what they lost, many of them have found ways to regain some psychic peace. Go to therapy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fart simpson posted:

i cant go to therapy because my mental health is too good

My personality is registered as a deadly weapon

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Fool posted:

I've seen more than one episode of chopped where the judges essentially call out the use of bacon as cheating

the secret to "oh my god, this tastes as good as the restaurant" at home:

1. add butter
2. more than that
3. no, even more
4. salt

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i ate a big mac for dinner. no fries or drink. instead, water and tj's chili mangos

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't think i'd want to eat mcdonalds food with zero carbon. what would they use instead? boron?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

once or twice a year i will stop at a pizza hut and get a greasy little pepperoni personal pan pizza. it's not "good food" but it takes me back to rainy days as a kid so it is good food in that sense.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm listening to a Spotify playlist of all angry, moody, or depressive ladies

Currently: Olivia Rodrigo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i've hosed people but you don't see me talking about it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

Heh, shoe's on the other foot. Not used to it?

Heh. Nothing personnel, kid. *pulls ur puppet strings*

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i tend to believe its some endocrine poo poo. good obesity treatments are now proliferating (expensively) after 50 straight years of grinding failure and they all whack at glp1

Obesity is clearly partly endocrine in the way that homeostasis is generally controlled by the endocrine system, but obesity is also simply a matter of thermodynamics.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

does having caught covid recently give you better or worse immunity than the newest booster?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

just finished being sick in the toilet and now

you english people and your euphemisms. just say you were yacking in the shitter

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Montreal bagels and New York ones are both good. The main advantage of Montreal bagels is nobody tries to copy them and make inferior versions. I've had plenty of garbage white bready grocery store bagels that are imitating the New York style, but every Montreal bagel I've ever had has been good.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

In other news, I started using Spotify. How do I get it to stop showing Joe Rogan in the podcast recommendations?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

they recommend buying turkey huh? i've been making it at home but it's pretty drat noisy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

who is going through so much kahlua that they can't wait a few weeks to get it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my supervisor in grad school was from a rough part of england and was telling me about how since guns were banned, and knives were also banned, teenagers would stab each other with screwdrivers they'd sharpened into stilettos in shop class. sounds like banning knives really helped.

it's loving nuts that england thinks knives are weapons. oh hm yes literally the oldest tool in the world, probably the single most useful thing to own after clothing, something every man and woman on earth carried on their person for the last 10,000 years -- scary scary! make it go away!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also whenever i see the word jalapeņo my brain goes "ha ha. jalapeņis"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this is really sweet.

Happy birthday Jonny :toot:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

re: building names, i remember visiting another university and going to a building with both a "ground floor" and a "main floor" and being supremely irritated and confused

One university I went to had a complex of four identical buildings all with the same name. Room numbers were four digits and started with 1 on the underground level, so 2 was the ground floor. The second digit was 1, 2, 3 or 4 for which of the four identical buildings the room was in. So [name] 3105 was on the second floor of the first building and [name] 3205 was the same room in the next building over.

I currently teach in a building that is actually two buildings built on top of one another at different times, so some rooms are inaccessible to you depending on which entrance you went in despite the whole thing having one name, there are elevators that don't go to every floor, etc

Anyway hbag welcome to the big real world

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hbag posted:

yeah let me just take off my glasses, lanyard, other poo poo, and spend forever peeling my hoodie off and drawing attention to myself

Why would anyone pay attention to you over this? Have people in England and never seen anyone taking off a jacket?

Or is the "other poo poo" you're wearing like, a katana and naruto headband

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

having sushi tonight before the show - haven’t had that in a while!

why did you take a picture of a notepad document instead of pasting the text into your post?