Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
apparently i have forgotten my password. muscle memory has failed me. i have nothing. i am nothing.

im gonna go for a walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Pollyanna posted:

like, it’s gonna be hard to implement if not impossible, be janky and hacky if it ever works, touch a whole bunch of other teams’ domains, piss off a lot of principles, be awful and uncomfortable to use, and be quickly superseded by something that can do it a lot easier and is in fact designed to handle what we want to do.

we should not do this

our internal stack overflow clone tells me not to bother doing this

we should just wait until we’ve moved over to the framework that helps us do this

why are we doing this

escelate to said principals who will hate it. cut and paste the ticket into an email and cc errebody , and paste choicest responses back into the ticket when you close it.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

i opened a defect against the docs for a product because they told you to hack the config file directly instead of placing a dropfile in config.d

best practices, upstream recommended method, yadda yadda

response 1) but what if the customer already hacked it what then??

response 2) whatsa dropfile?

response 3) this is going away in 4 releases so is moot in 2 years. plz close.

i wrote the change to the doc for them, and put it in the initial report when i opened it.

why do i even bother?

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

no, you cant run a vpn from your coffee shop lab into the private test network. thatll expose it to a whole bunch of stuff we dont want to deal with.

oh. you already did.

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak me

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I’m done with work in 30min and then I’m going to take the kids outside to look for snakes and salamanders and tree frogs :3:

hell yes

and cool bugs!

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

love getting roped into a “Cloud Showcase” because apparently nobody else on the team knows what the pete Cloud even means, much less how one would Showcase it.

yea im on vacation for the next 6 months cant help you sorry <add number to block list>

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Dick Fontaine posted:

cjs: Like clockwork it turns out the new director’s new ideas are terrible. Is this a law of the universe or something? New director = find a new job

why do you think they left the last job? nobody appreciated their ideas!!!

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

man if work is gonna continue to suck like this im gonna start caring even less than i do right now.

which is very little. to be clear.

not zero, buuuuut like deffo less than 1.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

someone deleted 20T of data from an nfs mount

apparently this is a problem

but not for me

the correct response would be to yawn at the aggrieved parties and say “i told you so”

i however, will go rummaging around the 2 week old backup that i will not admit exists to anyone involved. maybe after my nap.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

fixin to go open the laptop, look for anything important that needs done, and then retire back to the couch for a morning nap.

there wont be anything needs done

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

cjs worked for 2 hours to understand why 4T becomes 8T when its rsync’d to a different file system. oh: the target inodes are 4k not 512 and the block size is 8M not 256k. lovely.

imma take a nap and see if it looks better later

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

took a nap after lunch, but i am awake now and i do not like it

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

i wonder if the bosses realize that RTO 3 days is just going to mean i do even less on the WFH days ??

its gonna concentrate my givashit onto those three days and the rest…. wooof. yeah dont ask me to do stuff ive got focus time for the next forever send me a note next tuesday or smth.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

mfers i went into the goddamn office on an effin monday to do a presentation to an executive who had the unmitigated gall to work from home after talking up how great it is for everyone to return to the office

imma frink whiskey tilli cant feel ma face now

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

i have already worked an unreasonable amount for a monday

naptime

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

cjs: i released some stuff on github. now i wait for the world to tell me how stupid i am.

what they dont know is: i already know im the dumbest mutherfucker on the planet. ha ha!

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

loop through the items in $pkgs and add to new list $missing-pkgs except when the item is “Packages” or “available:”

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

noice

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

not dumb enough.

rexx

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

APL

its perfect since you can have as many keyboards as you want on an ipad

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

i really like the stem variables: essentially 1 indexed arrays where item0 is the number of items in the array

for i=1 to poops.0
do
say ‘poop number ‘poops.i
end

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

…. fuckin teenagers, man. yeah, i hear that.

welp, its lookin like whiskey o clock folks.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

cjs: fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu k

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

The Fool posted:

cjs: I was sick over the weekend and actually feel better now but i'm using it as an excuse to not work today

wisdom

better not to push it too soon yaknow?

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

minivans are baller as all hell. three rows of captains chairs? yes plz!

the only thing missing was AWD for those that live on mountain tops in the northeast but that is a solvable problem for electrics now.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

no i use mainframes i like infrastructure that works OP

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Captain Foo posted:

i kinda want to learn more about those environments tbh

whatchoo wanna know duder?

its like working in a computing archaeology site. you can literally see how new concepts like “virtual memory” and “networking” got tacked on to the original OS

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

yea do this and if you catch all the badges you can literally get interviewed and hired into these jobs cause everybody else is retiring or dead.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

c weekend project s: my youngest’s “roblox and horsey game” machine wont power on anymore. testing shows psu turns on if you jumper it, board wont power on with everything pulled out and a jumper on the power switch header, despite showing 3.3v there.

hmm, will the psu power on the old board thats been on the table for 2 years? yes! it do! i guess thats the new board now?

never throw working parts away.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

what kind of madman schedules a hour long 9 am meeting for a monday

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Silver Alicorn posted:

9am? day's half over by then

using this secret for your own sanity: acceptable
pulling others into hell with you: dont

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

i am regretting typing “girl who stinks good meme” into google.

baad choice me from 3 hours ago. baaaaaaad choice. now thats in my brain forever.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

shave it all and draw on a magnificent combaround swirl with eyeliner pencil

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

4h ?

dude. i can be unable to speak, let alone stand un assisted, in less than 2.

its not even a challenge.

it does require ~500mL of something at least 80 proof though.

and its not fun anymore, so i dont do that.

but i could

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

i loving love bourbon

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

and scotch

oh god especially scotch

fffffffffffff bruichladdich port charlotte is holy shitballs amazing

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

mystes posted:

the good old any% (abv) speed run

in retrospect, i wouldnt call it good, anymore

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

i get a lot of milage out of regular ol Wild Turkey 101

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

i am beginning to suspect they have something to do with why i am unable to sleep flr the past couple years - just laying there awake for hours at a time

its funny, i dont even drink to the point of getting buzzed anymore, and now its going to be the thing thats keeping me awake at night?

LOL. LMAO. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

fart simpson posted:

bourbon is basically just worse scotch

depends on the bourbon, depends on the scotch

lagavulin vs bottom shelf plastic jug bourbon?

elijah craig barrel proof vs bottom shelf plastic jug scotch ?