Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Fortaleza posted:

cjs: doing a mandatory training on protecting SAP's Intellectual Property, as if it were a real and worthwhile concept

Love when projects get held up for weeks or months because every party involved has to sign IP protection and Non-disclosure agreements. Your REST api+MySQL+Linux combination is not special in anyway. There is nothing worth stealing. Your entire value as a company is that you have good workers who struggle to make everything work smoothly. Your technology isn’t worth poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Sagebrush posted:

i'd certainly rather have gray hair in high school than be balding in high school like a guy i knew. if nothing else it gives you a good excuse and starting point to dye it weird colors

This was basically my grandfather. Went bald in high school but then did the Patrick Stewart thing where it didn’t look like he aged for 40 years.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Ciaphas posted:

no i just got completely pissed off over the last several hours trying to sync music from macbook (or hell, my pc) to phone without paying for an apple music subscription (i.e. through Finder)

turns out that's very bug prone and fiddly, and has been so for long enough that hopes of a fix have dimmed. i guess their game is to convince people they need to subscribe to have such extravagances as moving files between devices they own

That may be true, but the Music app is also just real, real, real bad, even if you have a music subscription. E.g. something will be available on Apple Music (thanks for the automatic brand capitalization timb!), but the first time you tap it an alert will pop up saying “this content is not authorized” but will play when you tap it a second time; Siri (lol) will get confused and if you ask it to play something available on Apple Music sometimes it will and sometimes it won’t because it’s searching through your library and if you didn’t add it to your library it won’t play; also if you have an Apple TV and someone (like my kid) is watching something, the Music app will show controls for the Apple TV at the bottom of the screen and if you hit play on a piece of music it will start playing it through the Apple TV instead of through the phones’s speakers or headphones and you have to change where it’s playing from (why does it do this? I literally never want this functionality. I literally never just want to interrupt what someone else is watching on the TV to play music.)

Also, HomePods have gotten worse. You used to tap your phone on a mini to “transfer” your audio from the phone to the speaker. Now the HomePods sometimes try to steal audio when you just happen to walk by them.

Yeah yeah, internet of poo poo, buts it’s like no one at Apple actually uses the music app or any HomeKit stuff. Just no dog goosing.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Beeftweeter posted:

the settlement amount as a whole is already predetermined. i don't know how this particular settlement will work since it's not yet finalized, but typically they allocate the bulk for claims they already know to be valid (i.e. in this case people who bought directly from altria) and then set aside a free-for-all amount for claims that are essentially first come first serve. legally if the settlement says people need to be reimbursed in full, as this one seems to, then they will be, but only for as long as the total pool (in this case $255m) lasts

The settlement payouts for that Apple app store lawsuit were like 4+ times higher than initial estimates since very few people filed. So if you made $1 on the app store between certain dates you got like a $1000 payout, assuming you filed.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

tak posted:

I'm really kicking myself for not switching jobs for a pay bump a while ago. I just thought I'd never get one with enough pto

hopefully there's still remote jobs out there b/c I'm never going back to an office

Kicking myself for the same. Just got too comfy at my current place and stopped looking (also the schedule and 100% remote really works for my schedule. Without it we would be blowing hundreds or even thousands a month on childcare). Now hiring has really dried up.

Also, just survived a round of layoffs. Anyone not on a project was fired. Some poor bastard that was on my team switched off with someone else just a week ago to work on some internal tooling and got sacked. Insanely unlucky. Also, didn’t even have enough time to finish handing off and knowledge transferring to the guy he switched with.

Having to comb through the wreckage on Slack to see whose account was deactivated (and thus fired) is incredibly depressing.

Edit: ADHD med chat. I can’t even find my extended release generic Ritalin anymore because the Adderall people are having to switch to it so obviously there is now a shortage (not angry. I 100% understand and both sympathize and empathize. gently caress the DEA and gently caress healthcare in this country). I can get instant release, but it’s just not the same, even if I split the pills along the score and take pieces gradually with food to try to manually recreate an extended release mechanism. loving DEA making it hard for me to be a good worker drone, generate profit for my employer, and pay my taxes.

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 6, 2023

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Jonny 290 posted:

it is wild how capital just erased all those long heartfelt (lol) discussions we had over the past 3 years regarding reframing the workday and wfh and work/life balance. as soon as the enormous covid death cloud started to dissipate they clawed it all back and then some. my company is officially and objectively less wfh tolerant than it was in 2019 and before.

the plutes (thanks bob, i'll give it back when i'm done) really really like their commercial real estate investment market.

The only reason we aren’t being forced back into the office is our lease is up in like 6 months and the money people are salivating at not having to make rent payments, especially in this business climate (there will still need to be a small office for the IT people to ship laptops out of, but that can literally be anywhere and can just be a glorified closet.) If finances were better we would be dragged into the office (you can tell from emails and slack messages that, especially with the tech industry tanking, the business people are very, very nervous and would love to be able to assuage their fears by being able to crack the whip in person).

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 6, 2023

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
CJs: A slack search for a file in a previous conversation led to a similarly named file in a manager channel that was accidentally left public. The Slack automatic preview showed everything in the search screen. Layoffs are planned for next week, though who was not listed. Wish me luck. Already polishing the resume.

And here I was hoping I could play Armored Core this weekend.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
The one fringe benefit is that some work I thought I was going to have to do this weekend, does not, after really, really reevaluating my priorities, absolutely does not have to be done this weekend.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

prefect posted:

stupid ozarks :mad:

cls: hurt my back putting on socks this morning. this had better not be one of those cases where it just keeps getting worse :ohdear:

I hope so too. I hurt mine slouching on the couch. Felt comfortable at the time, but I basically put all my weight on my lower back. Now the doc and I are hoping a steroid shot and some rest (minimize sitting; more standing up straight or laying down flat) will clear it up in a few weeks. Otherwise it's on to imaging. :smith:

CJs: Was on the job hunt this weekend. Even if I don't get laid off this week, the place I'm at is done for. Anyone who could turn things around business wise has already left and its clear that management has no clue on what to do except keep laying people to try to save their own jobs.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Pulcinella posted:

CJs: A slack search for a file in a previous conversation led to a similarly named file in a manager channel that was accidentally left public. The Slack automatic preview showed everything in the search screen. Layoffs are planned for next week, though who was not listed. Wish me luck. Already polishing the resume.

And here I was hoping I could play Armored Core this weekend.

Update: this happened. I "survived" but it was pretty brutal. Also stupid. A work buddy who was pretty key to a huge project we are in the middle of got laid off and IT managed to wipe his laptop before anyone even had the chance to stop them. A bunch of very important files he had are now gone. They should be backed-uped but lol they still haven't managed to find them. Also, obviously all his institutional and project specific knowledge are gone as well so the project is spinning its wheels at the moment. Of course the bozos responsible are still in charge.

I am glad I stIll have a job, but man this sucks. I really like what this place used to be like and it is still probably the most chill place I will ever find when it comes to working from home and accommodating school pickup/doctor appointments/etc. Anyway back to polishing my resume and interviewing skills.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah plus now nobody cares about new marvel or star wars crap because it's bad and there's too much of it. they did it to themselves

With Guitar Hero and Rock Band, their was at least a bit of a prisoner's dilemma of "well we might as well flood this plastic instrument market and strip mine as much value as we can before the whole thing implodes, otherwise our competitor will do it." With Disney they really did just do it to themselves. They really couldn't resist releasing multiple Marvel and Star Wars movies and TV shows a year for over a decade. Its a Skinner box for CEO types. Except they think the button they are mashing as fast as possible says "Profit" when it really says "release $300 million capeshit movie."

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
CJs: We had another round of layoffs this week.I survived yet again (that makes 3-4 just this year), but half my team was laid off (already replaced by more junior, cheaper people from failing projects. They aren't bad people, but they are way less experienced and dont have all the project knowledge and history that is just in people's heads and relationships, rather than written down). Those paying attention might remember that we just had layoffs literally just a month ago. I wouldn't be surprised if I am already scheduled to be laid off at the end of October. Fortunately I have one final interview tomorrow at a place that seems to really like me.

Hopefully I can give my two-weeks in the next few days. This place is sinking faster and faster. We have been (indirectly) wrecked by the interest rate hikes. Management can't control that, but it does seem their response to it is to layoff everyone but themselves rather than end the quarter even $1 in the red. No idea what they are going to do next quarter when everyone who does the actual work has quit or been laid off.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Jonny 290 posted:

the ultrasharps are pretty nice. if i wasnt a refresh rate sucker i'd definitely have one

Yeah I have one of the 4K Ultrasharps and it is extremely needs suiting. The only "bad" thing is it has one HDMI port. I use USBC for monitor display but the HDMI slot for consoles, so I have to use a HDMI switcher.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i am in a similar spot and it kinda sucks. good luck goon.

Same to you. It sucks, I used to really like this place, but it's gone to poo poo in the past year.

Bike Chat:
The difficulty of learning was always the fear for me. Once I realized "ohh if I just go fast enough, staying upright practically feels automatic" and that going slow because of fear was what was making it hard, it got way, way easier.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

KidDynamite posted:

cjs: this job sucks and i should have abandoned ship long ago. it's probably actively hurting my job search to be here longer.

Yeah I should have left sooner as well. There was a huge exodus back in late January of this year. I should have gotten out back then. Especially because there was a second, smaller exodus in February of people using networking to get jobs at the places all the people in the first exodus went too. I am getting a feeling similar to the one I had in college where I help everyone move out at the end of the year...and then there was no one left to help me.

The good news is that my interview today went really well. The bad news is they want to do one final interview later this week. They seem to really like me, just paranoid because I am the first hire in a new department and they don't want to be stuck relying on someone who is going to be a huge PITA going forward. The other bad news is that, while I think this is a good place, I would have had a lot more options if I starting looking much, much sooner.

CJs: I don't want to do my actual job today. After interviewing I'm starting to develop senioritis. Just got to focus on the work/skills that would be helpful going forward.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
CJs: Having the last round of interviews today in about an hour. Wish me luck. Hoping I will be able to give my two weeks to my current sinking ship on Monday.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Armitag3 posted:

goonspeed :yotj:
Thanks! It went really loving well. Interviewer said he really liked me as a candidate, sees no reason not to hire me, and that he isn't my boss yet but I should still go take the rest of the day off and start the weekend early. The only bad news is that the HR paperwork handlers are out-of-office until Tuesday so I don't have an offer yet.

dioxazine posted:

hope everything works out for you, italian theatre person!

Thanks! I am reminded of this quote I just found on Wikipedia,

Italian Mask Maker Antonio Fava posted:

Pulcinella, a man without dignity, is nevertheless indispensable to us all: without [him] ... none of his countless 'bosses' could ever escape from the awkward tangle of troubles in which they find themselves.
Definitely feels like it describes computer janitoring.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
CJs:
It's time again for me to refill my ADHD prescription scour the entire city trying to find a pharmacy that has any ADHD medication in stock. Holy poo poo I can't believe this shortage is still happening. loving morons at the DEA. How am I supposed to be a good worker drone and make the shareholders a lot of money if I can't get my meds you loving dipshits?! poo poo like this proves that capitalism isn't actually smart and won't just sell it's own organs for pennies.

Also, glad I am leaving my curret company. It's open enrollment and they are just straight up lying to us. Email from HR says premiums for all plans are cheaper this year (for the company maybe) and its just not true. Anyone can look and see that premiums are up and the coverage is worse.

Fake edit: Take care of your eyes, y'all, it's worth it.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

have you had any pharmacists get mad at you about it that happened to my spouse last time they went searching for it

Not mad (though it's understandable. I am sure they get a million of these kinds of phone calls these days), but I am pretty sure most places I've encountered don't bother to check inventory over the phone anymore, or are so backordered they know they don't have any. Several months ago you could at least hear them typing over the phone as they checked inventory; now it's just an immediate "we don't have any" no matter what I ask about.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

PokeJoe posted:

Uh, yeah, I'm currently writing my own magazine and it's all about my balls

:drat:

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Beeftweeter posted:

it's probably covid and you're probably not doing the test correctly. if you want to be sure get a pro to do it

also hbag go to bed. rest will help

Also, the home tests do expire, can be kind of crappy, not sure if they are specific enough for the latest strains, might have been sitting in a hot truck for hours*, etc. When I got got half the tests we had still showed false negative (and that q-tip was way up there).

Also, also Paxlovid. That stuff really helps.
For some reason most doctors don't want to prescribe it and most people don't want to take it unless they are 95+ years old and have 5 co-morbidities along with covid, so most pharmacies still have a ton of stock they basically can't even give away. Check the CSPAM thread.

*(I had to throw out an entire box of fruit snacks I got for my kid because they had probably sitting in a un-airconditioned truck for a dozen hours in the 110°F Texas heat and had melted together and slightly "cooked" inside their pouches.)

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
CJs: Good news, I got the job offer! I can give my two weeks tomorrow and get off this sinking ship (lol two more higher ups silently left last week. Everyone who can is heading to the life boats).

The "bad" news is I also just scheduled an interview for the place I really want to work at right before I got the offer. In any case, I don't start at the offer place for a month (wanted some time off in between jobs) so I have some time to do some more interviews. If nothing else it's good to have more interview practice and they may also not even hire me anyway. (Though if they do give a better offer I will take it. There is no corporate loyalty in this hellish economic system).

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Pulcinella posted:

CJs: Good news, I got the job offer! I can give my two weeks tomorrow and get off this sinking ship (lol two more higher ups silently left last week. Everyone who can is heading to the life boats).

The "bad" news is I also just scheduled an interview for the place I really want to work at right before I got the offer. In any case, I don't start at the offer place for a month (wanted some time off in between jobs) so I have some time to do some more interviews. If nothing else it's good to have more interview practice and they may also not even hire me anyway. (Though if they do give a better offer I will take it. There is no corporate loyalty in this hellish economic system).

dioxazine posted:

congratudolences! italian theatre looking strong this year :yotj:

Beeftweeter posted:

congrats! and yeah, i'd do the interview anyway. you're right, there's no expectation of loyalty

glad you get to quit the lovely job too

Well the interview went really loving well. Also the benefits and pay are absolutely incredible. So now I have a somewhat more technical interview with he hiring manager next week, and then if that goes well it would be 2 panel interviews (and some kind of brief take home test at some point). Not too excited about that part, but the pay and work environment are worth it. They do seem very interested in me and every interview in my CJ career mentioned that they like that I'm a computer toucher with at least half decent social skills (hopefully they never find out I'm a goon) but now I am definitely starting to get imposter syndrome. It's for a staff position and I am afraid they are going to find out I am actually a fraud or something. A big portion of the role will be mentoring and training so that should be easy. But I hope no one asks me the Big O notation of reversing a 2-3-4 tree or something.

Needless to say I will be craming mobile architecture stuff this weekend. Also, didnt give my 2 weeks at my current place. I still have my job offer that doesn't start for a month, so I am fine with eating in to my in-between-jobs vacation time if it helps me get this better job. (This new place I am interviewing at atleast knows I have an offer already an are happy to fast track the process, though it's not like that helps my study time).

Back to the Interviewing thread I suppose.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
CJs: Got the job I wanted and put in my two weeks. Just in time, too. The project I am on is falling apart because half the team got laid off. In addition, we got a new PM that wants to completely destroy and replace the way our team has been working (very, very successfully) for the past several years. Also, is one of those people who turns standup into a 45+ minute affair because they also want it to be social hour (of course this means cameras on).

Gave myself some time off before I start the new job. I ain't doing poo poo besides jogging (doctor told me to get my goon-ish blood pressure and weight down. Weight I get but gently caress I can't believe I am old enough to start having to worry about my blood pressure. Another reason I am glad to be leaving my current place behind) and playing video games.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Holy crap, my kid is just starting to process the dog dying and now we just got news that her karate sensei just died. Rough week.

Sorry to hear that. :smith:

---

CJs: Started blood pressure meds. Too young for this poo poo. Also DASH diet. Basically super low sodium among other things. Do you know how much salt is in everything that isn't like fruit, vegetables, flour, etc? A Smoothie King smoothie can have 900+ mg sodium in it. How the hell do you manage to shove a gram or more of salt into a loving smoothie?

I knew anything "processed" and pretty much all restaurant food is loaded with salt for shelf life + taste + deliberate attempts to make the most "addicting" snack foods possible, but it's still shocking just how much sodium there is in anything you don't make yourself now that I have to actually sit down and track the numbers. Take care of yourselves Hoons!

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
cjs: Been fighting with the build server all day and I am absolutely getting my rear end kicked.

Edit: Fastlane is perfectly happy running locally but on the server it just fails in the middle of a random step with no insight even when I set the verbosity to a 19th century writer being paid by the word.

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 15, 2024

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

dioxazine posted:

that was me on wednesday, happy to pass this on to someone more responsible

Lol. It's one of those things that someone has probably encountered before and should document, but they weren't given time to document the solution and I also don't have the time to document so the knowledge is just in people's heads. Unfortunately anyone on my team who would know how to fix it is out today. Makes me want to ditch work early and go back to playing FF7Rebirth.

Edit:

The most unrealistic part about FF7 isn't the magic and monsters, it's that Shinra Manor has volumes and volumes of documentation for Sephiroth to peruse through.

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Pulcinella posted:

cjs: Been fighting with the build server all day and I am absolutely getting my rear end kicked.

Edit: Fastlane is perfectly happy running locally but on the server it just fails in the middle of a random step with no insight even when I set the verbosity to a 19th century writer being paid by the word.

Cjs: update on this, it was some relative vs. absolute path poo poo, of course. For some reason one specific file path in the Xcode project file was referencing an absolute path for a file on my local machine that, obviously, wasn't relevant or valid for the build server.