Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

cjs: boss is off this week, so of course, $guy decided to write tests in rspec, which is something me and the boss have both said No to, then claims factorybot is bad because the rspec DSL is loving up the execution order lmao

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

graph posted:

i have bad news about living under capitalism

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I wish I could engage with programming like I used to.

Like it was one of my special interests, and now I can never ever work with that level of intensity or that focus ever again.

loving sucks

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Lady Radia posted:

I’m sorry to hear this :smith: was it burnout?

Yeah :(

At my internship in 2017:
- the commute was 4 hours total
- the person I was dating broke up with me
- i was too anxious to start dealing with Gender Stuff and had been blowing off the option of transitioning for 4 or 5 years
- i didn't have any networks or support groups
- i had a Bug that even the seniors couldn't fix (and they had no time to) that blocked what should have been a day's work, for like 5 months
- some folks at work were deadnaming chelsea manning

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

it wasn't any one thing, I just had absolutely no support at all, and it's ruined my ability to engage in my special interest outside of my getting payment for it possibly forever

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

hbag posted:

is this the rest of my life
getting up at awful times just to go to work and then go home exhausted five days a loving week, forever
is this seriously loving it

I burned out and now I get paid reasonably well, work 6 hour days (max 24 hrs a week) for a good cause, have 35 days off per year, and am going to EMF Camp for free because work is paying for it

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Like you know if you accept a tiny pay cut you can work less and for a cause that you agree with right

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its a fuckoff huge paycut, is the rub

Sure but it's tangibly worth it

Like I would be on a salary of 40k/yr but im on 28k (and boss is juggling numbers to see about a pay rise for everyone as well), and the tangible benefit is I have way more time to relax, and I get a 3 day weekend every week, and I still get a month of holiday a year.

I'd rather that than the extra 10k, most of which would put me in a higher tax bracket. I'm not earning massively more per month than I was on 15k/yr anyway because we have a functional tax system here.

I don't have to give a poo poo about healthcare and renting costs here are much, much cheaper. The pound is also worth more than the dollar.

Everything accounted for, I likely have higher spending power and much much more free time to use it than someone doing the exact same job in the US

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 23, 2022

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Also the one project im working on is literally "Let's make therapy access easier for queer people" and I get to build that from scratch and be responsible for it.

Compare to my previous gig of being 1 person out of like a hundred, all working to keep microservices floating to sell people on some kind of AWS bullshit

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 23, 2022

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Vintersorg posted:

don’t trust that code

don't copy that floppy usenet post forum post stack overflow answer

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

lol WEP made a santa cumjar

jesus WEP posted:

god loving christ

spent ages painting up these santas claus and putting them in mason jars to give to ppl, when i picked one up the ring on top snapped off and it dropped. fake snow all over the inside of the jar, paint scraped off the dude. gently caress.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

im too high to remember how i got to an ancient cjs from browsing the lastd 5 pages of the sci fi book thread but

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

long time no see! hope you’ve been well :)

it has been down (got fired) and up (getting treatment!) and down (becoming broke while waiting for treatment) so im waiting for the up !

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

getting way too hard into audiobooks because i remembered the terrible but addictive bobiverse series was available on them. did books 2 - 4 and now nothing else is quite scratching my talking book itch.

Snow Crash was a guy droning on and on and i just could not care

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I thought you worked for a good collective or something, wtf??

yeah so i got fired at the same time they fired the second founder, both of us were just super burnt out from tech working tbh

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

cooking in the microwave at 7am because im based and loudtoast pilled

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

zoomers: that is SO based

millenials: all your based belong to us! :laugh:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

how do i make that into a computoon

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

that’s pretty shite given half the mouth service of most of those places is… accounting for that kind of thing, at least over here

yep lmaooo its like half the branding statement

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

ive been taking some time off, partly waiting for meds, partly because i feel that if u get fired from the "disability friendly" company, theres an even higher chance of being fired at the non disability friendly company lmao

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

you should not trust nonprofits more than for profits in the same way that you should not trust religious peeps more than nonreligious peeps. its just lip service

you shouldnt trust em less but shouldnt trust em more. just use other stuff to judge peeps and orgs. judging peeps and groups of peeps is a red queens race and both of those factors are just tapped out on signal

i mean the boss had chronic fatigue and to be fair to the company, they did spend like literal months accommodating the cofounder's needed distance, so you would have THOUGHT-

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

i was up until 7am getting high smoking weed

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

:catsalute:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

wtf

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

hbag posted:

cls: eatin pancakes. pancake day. pancakes

gently caress thank u i knew id forgotten something

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Roosevelt posted:

the mental health center has basically shut down. you have to ring a doorbell to get inside because they don't have anyone working the desk.

:same:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

using cat to append to a file is pretty cool and useful

using cat to append to the display framebuffer is hilarious too

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

cls: i looked at the doctor who wiki and apparently the current state of the books is that the tardis is now a half human woman who gives birth to more tardises... sexually.

:psyduck:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Beeftweeter posted:

CHALMERS: it smells like feet in here
SKINNER: that's impossible feet don't have a smell. besides the kitchen is on fire

hes right. foot smell is from bacteria living on the foot, hth

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

mystes posted:

That's got to be up there with "the sky isn't really blue"

no the sky is blue. look and see

properly maintained feet do not have the bacteria that produces that smell, nor any fungal growth, and so should just smell of sweat at worst.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

President Beep posted:

yeah it’s called “your eyes, your hands, and a keyboard “

Unfortunately there was a fatal 1-D 10T error between the keyboard and chair :eng99:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

bash a bit apart to make eton mess imo

:hmmyes:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Liver Disaster posted:

its 2015, leave your bitterness behind, love yourself, chill

:hmmyes:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Sagebrush posted:

my favorite joke of all time is also a pirate joke.

you: "what is a pirate's favorite letter?"
them (rolling their eyes): "is it ARR?"
you (squinting, affecting a pirate accent): "nay. ye'd think it be ARR! but a pirate's true love be the C."

the grin and chuckle cricked something in my back, so, thank you

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

SmokaDustbowl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzTnScIJV0E

this is my favorite ride of all time, when I started smoking weed I rode this and it was loving amazing. I'd go ride it rn if I could

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1T3uYeSYBQ

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

lol

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Enderzero posted:

yeah that style is basically max terrifying. when I was 9 wet n wild Dallas had Der Stuka, which was just a straight near vertical drop. i was tall enough but wasn’t up to riding it at the time. im not sure i would ride that style nowadays. still, it’s probably safer than that kansas slide that killed a state senator’s kid via decap

edit: i absolutely will not ride a zipper anymore. it would have to be in a proper theme park for me to even consider it

jesus christ wait what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Achmed Jones posted:

hmmm maybe we just have different experiences

no that can't be it, we are now mortal enemies based on tiny linguistic differences, im sorry it has to be this way

also: when i read that my first thought was clutches before i realized you probably meant like extra-long handles and i'm having a great time imagining the tactical edc crowd carrying around cute lil clutches with a bedazzled ar-15 on them

everyone now has new avatars and i barely recognized u