Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
basically, you get the best info from people driven by obsession or spite. gamefaqs had the first one covered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Eeyo posted:

but for product reviews or political things there's definitely an incentive to make real-sounding posts that are fake.

for basic sentiment analysis, maybe. but any slightly discerning person can tell fake reviews, or at least reviews that aren’t useful. when someone starts talking about how they like it a lot but the button has a weird catch to it, oh but here’s my workaround you can tell it’s real. ai reviews will never be able to go deep enough in detail that reveals idiosyncrasies of real people and signals that this is a person who interacted deeply with this product

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

fart simpson posted:

lol i know people irl who give irl spoken reviews of stuff without going into any of that detail

right, and you probably discard their opinions. these are the results you ignore online because there is no way to tell if they are fake or dumb. on the other hand I take notice when BatteryLuvr posts a long review about a power pack that digs into specifics

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I have a vizio TV and so many shows and movies have totally indecipherable dialogue. good thing I watch subbed anime because subtitles are always on now

it’s not just you, there’s a bunch of reasons for this from acting choices to sounds guys getting deprioritized on set

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Fortaleza posted:

Wish I'd been able to finangle getting laid off instead of quitting, all the pending stock would immediately vest as a severance instead of being forfeit

hey think of it this way: you escaped my worst situation, which was where they offered to switch me to contractor status and were fine with me dealing with health problems by working 32 hrs/wk to letting me go a month later because big contracts hadn’t been signed, times are tight you know, and thereby escaped having to pay extra in unemployment insurance - and thus I didn’t qualify for UI either.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
lol sometimes I forget I got that job via the goon job thread in shsc

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

hbag posted:

kolby toxxed that he'll get a perma if they dont win the world series and i decided gently caress it why not join him (mine is just a regular ban though because lol)

weird useless fact, kolby is the oldest internet bud I have, we were there at the start of e/n blogging back in like 2000 writing on a site together and hanging on irc.

after some calamity I managed to register #e/n and was trying to act as a fair admin after lots of powertrippers and then I went on vacation and when I came back I no longer admined the channel because Jason, who ran the blog we posted on, realized I used the same password on the blog and on irc and stole it. you didn’t even exist then!

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Truman Peyote posted:

wtf is cohost

av/post combo

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
yeah it’s all ridiculous. I discovered my Care Credit card was canceled recently, presumably for not using it enough but it’s a loving card for, like, dental or pet health issues, so I’m not exactly in control of when I might need to use it!

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Sagebrush posted:

I mean yeah, if you pay it in full every month and you get a 2-3% cash back reward, they're probably only making like 1% a year on you in transaction fees. You aren't that valuable to them. Yeah you reliably make them a small amount, but the person with a maxed out line who only pays the minimum is giving the company literally 20 times as much as you until they go broke, sooooo....

Apparently the industry term for people who don't carry a balance is "freeloaders."

which is fuckin incredible because they set up the system such that you have to interact with them. we’re playing the tilted game they set up as best we can and they’re mad about it

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Beeftweeter posted:

lol way ahead of you. i stopped actually banking with them years ago, the card wasn't a terrible deal and idk i didn't really care which giant was reaming me

for banking i use gmac ally, which has been pretty decent actually even if not having any physicality can be annoying in a pinch. even before interest rates were popping off they were very generous

wait you know about the gmac to ally name change and still went with them? they changed the name because they had such a bad reputation it was toxic to their business

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 4, 2022

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Beeftweeter posted:

yep. lol it was easy to set up on a sunday

mate your an absolute nut, and a proper legend

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Pollyanna posted:

I didn’t know that about ally but tbqh there is no Good bank, it’s all bad

that's my point though, everyone hates banks but they don't change names unless there's a merger. this was a bank that was so hated they had to change names!

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

why, that’s salted rice weather. and thank goodness, we needed it.

we needed it.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

you missed much in your abscence

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

for the record I liked your buttered carrots joke. true poster’s mindset

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

President Beep posted:

lmao nooo!!!!

what a snipe!

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Mr. Nice! posted:

to explain salted rice, some posters get very upset at the idea that some people put salt in the rice cooker with their rice and water.

now you’ve done it. you broke the seal. ur responsible for what comes next

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

jury is out if it’s funnier than when trump got covid though

it’s a matter of impulse. trump was way funnier but only for like 2 days, this is 2 weeks, and still getting funnier

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
tough start to Monday? at least you don’t work for Twitter! imagine how much dread they must be dealing with having to start another week on the techtanic

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Sagebrush posted:

here's a bad idea: unscrew your shower head, take it apart, find the little plastic disc inside that sets the flow limit, and either drill it out to half an inch or replace it with an o-ring of equal thickness.

i've never done it before and neither should you.

I did not just do this and I never would.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

lord fifth posted:

im gonna tick off a whole lotta people with this one but i dont like pickles. cant stand em. you all can have as much as you want but my dad forced me to drink pickle brine from the jar one too many times as a child

I mean if you didn’t add that huge qualifier maybe but I get it, aversions can be rough.

pickles are of course good because it handles the acid side of tasty food. same for mustard

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
hey what’s the deal with the way non fresh cilantro smells and tastes. I see a lot of it in grocery stores where it doesn’t smell quite right, and the same effect is seen when you chop it up finely and then let it sit and dry out for a few hours. that’s probably separate from the whole soap thing right?

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Jonny 290 posted:

so does steve scalise lmao

lol jesus this joke came out of left field, just like the shot that obliterated his sack,,,

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

bump_fn posted:

lmao thought that was celcius at first and was like oh my god jonny no

why I believe he just called you a no good yeller nasa contractor! you just gonna let that stand?

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Ciaphas posted:

wonder how many of these have something to them, if that makes sense

well except utah, that one's kinda, uh, blatant

there’s something to this seeing as New Hampshire doesn’t want to be uncouth and searches ebony lol

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I vote communist and dress like a homeless person, and worse thing that happens when flying is I always have to get wanded and put in the tube.

I imagine it's pretty fuckin easy for a yosposter with means to get through any type of security check

not quite. this is one of the prime examples of bullies being given excessive power. they rely on simple stereotypes like isBrown and can and will make a nightmare of a trip for even the most innocuous person. tsa equivalents have way too much power and are the papers please cops. they can get almost anyone

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

hbag posted:

wait a loving second the assignment mightve just told me how to do it
i can just have an "occurances" attribute on the nodes. find one node and just check its occurances

that sounds exactly right, yeah

probably something like have a tree with occurrences property on each node, and when you load the data into the tree check if a node exists. if not, add it with occurrences set to 1, otherwise find the node and add 1 to the current occurrences count.

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 13, 2023

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

hbag posted:

btw how the gently caress do i calculate big o notation they never taught us that (just that it exists)

this is a big question because the “secret” of computer science is that the whole subject is essentially minimizing the big o. data structures? you pick ‘em based on which has the smallest big o. search algorithms? again chosen based on if you add data more often or if you lookup data more often - and thus by the big o of adding or searching for stuff. in the end there tends to be about 5 commonly used values.

constant big o - O(1) - this is an array. look it up in ~1 operation each time. amazing.

logarithmic big o - O(log n) - grows real slow! log 2 is 1 but log 8 is only 3. log 1000000 is only like 7 or 8. very good, this is binary search trees

linear big o - O(n) - pretty fast until you get to big numbers. easy to look up when you have 10, less so at a million

n logarithmic big o - O(n * log n) - log grows slowly, then you multiply by a constant. grows sorta quick but not bad. this is like doing a binary search on each character in a string (n characters, log n searches for each character)

polynomial big o - O(n^2) - uh oh. this grows fast. n of 10 is 100 but n of 100 is 10000 - the more you have the worse it does. go back and find an n log n algorithm unless you have like less than 1000 elements.

exponential big o - O(2^n) - oh poo poo. this grows fuckin fast you are in trouble. this is the land of traveling saleman, and if n is 100 it’s gonna take years for a computer to calculate. you hosed up if youre here

calculating it takes math or, later, intuition. why is a binary tree O(log n) for search? because each time you move down from the root you eliminate roughly half of the possible values you need to check. so if you have 8 elements, you have 3 levels and go from 8 possible to 4 possible to 2 possible to the value. log 8 is 3 - you went down 3 levels in toys search so O(log n) where n is 8.

But! worse case for binary search is O(n). why? you might have inserted the data in the exact order where the tree forms a line and degenerates to a linked list and so you don’t do the average 3 searches, you do 8 because the value you are looking for is the last one in a line of 8.

from there you learn how to map an algorithm’s shape to big o. if there’s a loop within an outer loop? probably looking at O(n^2). and so on

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 13, 2023

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

hbag posted:

i think im missing something because none of this is actually helping me to calculate anything. it's just telling me what certain predefined algorithms are
someone said somewhere its the amount of lines it has to run, which makes me think its just the line count (minus whitespace) plus however many times loops have to iterate, worst case???

the secret to all this is think in terms of 10 and a million. how many times through the code does it roughly take if you have 10 things? now what if you have a million things? some algorithms will take 10 and a million ( lines executed, time units, whatever). others will take 1000 and 10 billion instead. determining how much longer or how much more space an algorithm will take as n goes from small to large is what the big O value tells you.

it’s a measure of efficiency as you go from small numbers of stuff to large.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

DELETE CASCADE posted:

the key thing to understand about big-O is not just that it's looking at the worst case, but that it's looking at the asymptotic behavior, meaning the behavior as N gets huge

this lets you wave your hands a lot. those lines inside the loop? they probably don't matter. whatever small operation they are doing will be dwarfed by the fact that you are looping over N elements, and N is huge

however this does not apply if those lines inside the loop are doing something like "loop over another data structure that is also of size N". then they matter

actually doing the math here involves limits of infinite sequences and other loving annoying bullshit that i forgot as soon as i could

this is a good post. put another way if you have an algorithm that does 100 lines of code n times vs a different one that does 1 line of code n^2 times, the second one is way worse when n gets big. if n is like 4 it will kick the crap out of 100*n, but at n = 1000000, 100*n will be the easy winner. it’s about how it changes (or dominates?) as n gets big

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

hbag posted:

alright so this first one takes a user-provided number and then iterates two nested for loops that many times, so... O(n2)?

i mean it also does some other poo poo but that doesnt seem to make anything iterate so

sounds right. the key is that the other poo poo matters a lot when n is small, but what if n was one billion? now that’s a shitload more than n*the other poo poo

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

PokeJoe posted:

yeah that's loving it.

hash tables and arrays are constant time because you know where the data is

trees are some log poo poo because the data left shrinks a lot each level deeper you dig

lists are n cause you gotta look at em all one by one in order

btw in my notation above this is, in order

O(1) lookup

O(log n) search

O(n) search

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its school, theyll prolly be expectin a story about amortization w the hashtables

I use this word all the time at work to sound smooth and smart. try it today

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

MrQueasy posted:

I wish I could amortize your posts.

you can! just leave the window open and read one word every 10 minutes

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
sometimes I think I’m simultaneously too dumb and not interested in computer sciency stuff to continue in my career and then I realize I get excited explaining this stuff and realize maybe I’m wrong and capitalismo es el problema

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Ciaphas posted:

e there was a post here it's gone now

if you’ve survived in the industry for 5-6 years you can absolutely figure all that stuff out. it means you have soft skills to get along, and now you just gotta work on tech skill stuff. read Wikipedia, or better perhaps, look for illustrated in-depth blogs about b-trees or red-black trees or whatever. the concepts are not difficult, they are trees that just have more complex rules to keep them balanced - which is another word for making searches quick guaranteed. read one article a day, that’s 20 in a month. 240 in a year. small steps add up, don’t let anxiety gently caress with you

edit: I get why you deleted but let me tell you another side. I’ve been in the industry since 2009. got fired or laid off from every job until last year I got my first ever promotion. but I’m still here and doing fine. I take a nap every day, even. I bet you can as well. no one know anything for sure and we’re all making it up. go with that flow

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 17, 2023

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

hbag posted:

i have hypermobile ehlers-danlos syndrome so im assuming thats whats causing it

yep same here and I can crack most things, not much chronic pain yet as I approach 40, luckily. I was an athlete as a teenager so that may have helped. One other note - I can't crack my knee; is it possible you have some tight muscles that might be pulling on it? If so I'd work on loosening that. Sitting all day leads to lower cross syndrome quite often

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Gnossiennes posted:

i thought knee popping was normal tbh, is it not?? my knees crack whenever i bend them fully and straighten them out, and they've done it since i was a lil kid. it's pretty loud. i can do it with my elbows too. no hyperflexy joints or anything tho so not EDS stuff. i do get some pots-ish stuff and issues with reynaud's tho 🤔

that’s very interesting because I have some mild form of pots and looked into reynaud’s in the past. I suspect there’s more to it regarding eds and collagen and tissue and genetics where a very mild form(s) are present in many people. but as usual medicine doesn’t understand the body well as has to start from the extremes by finding syndromes and then works backwards towards harder to uncover causes so this goes unnoticed (we only notice stuff that “disturbs” your health or ability to work)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
see, I’m 50/50 on whether Rudy got confused and booked landscaping or if they announced four seasons and then the hotel told them to gently caress off so they went with a blue collar oh gently caress backup