Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

cjs: partner is being comped a nice dinner + drinks by her job

what stupid poo poo should i eat since i dont gotta cook jk im getting pizza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Broken Machine posted:

i fixed my computers thing and played some elden ring

ive sunk 100 hours into it and am probably 75% done

very good waste of time

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

and pizza place i wanted was closed due to an issue w their oven so i got a al pastor burrito instead

i really wanted the pizza tho

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Gnossiennes posted:

instead of that, he wanted to know why I hadn't reached out to talk to a bunch of people he told me not to reach out to at the beginning of this project, and also changed the scope of the project to the point that my rushed work was for absolutely nothing. i could have just not shared it at all

lol. lmao

:sever:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

why would you flee the city tho, what's wrong besides costs

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

talking to tourists is a coin flip but i've come out ahead on this

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

did the theme park have good food or was it like nonstop hotdogs and wings

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

based on how often i used to eat em i am probably 3-5% hot dog

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

thank you thread title hope everyone has a lovely weekend

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Low-Pass Filter posted:

I know the standard (good!) advice is "dont time the market!!!" but with the market being what it is lately, it's tempting to take some cash and buy some lump sum shares of VSTAX or smth.

I'm already maxing 401k and IRA contributions on a monthly auto-buy, so this would i guess be a post tax purchase

ya as long as you got your pretax poo poo on lock doing post tax is fine, just make sure you don't want that money for other bullshit

ibonds are like 9% until october which is goddamn wild and indication of us being hosed but i don't know exactly how

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Low-Pass Filter posted:

woah 9% idk how i missed that.

Dumb question do I have to buy them from the treasure directly or is there some handy way to get it rolled into my vanguard acct

i am looking into this right now, but according to the treasury site your best bet is getting set up with them

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i fall asleep between 2 or 3 and get up between 9 or 10, it's enough time but it never feels like enough time

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

2.5 hours of meetings and I have absorbed nothing.

in one ear and out the other

god drat why do you need me in these meetings!!!! who books a solid 3.5 hours of meetings!!

the meetings should have agendas and like notes/actionable things as a product 100% of the time for those involved

so either you're the one making decisions or the one doing the thing. if neither, then yeah you shouldn't probably be in that meeting.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

also python rules but is slow and has an oddly terrible deployment story that they've been trying to work on

don't let anyone itt try to convince you otherwise

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Perplx posted:

python3 added sane unicode support and had to break backward compatibility
there is no reason to break backwards compatibility again

they might try out the no-gil version of it for better multithreading, that'll be a fun one

python rules still, love it

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

the end game of all yosposting is pictures of crows or kids i guess

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

related to this: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4002842

what's wrong with the blue yeti if you aint got a whole rear end mixer and mic setup

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

python would be fine if the syntax and syntactic white space poo poo were eliminated

youre using an ide or plugin to maintain that whitespace (scope) in any lang and using whatever your team determined as the formatting style/plugin of choice, ez

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

also thank you, i am now reconsidering my purchase at the beginning of covid but i already got it on an arm and like right by my face

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

it's also "read the room" which you have done by lurking i assume for at least a week rather than kramering in with whatever theyre up to

i don't mind it tbh but i like walls between threads

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

hbag posted:

sprinting up flights of stairs to catch my train probably helped too

yeah like as long as you have daily activity (walking running etc) interspersed with more intense cardio or weightlifting youll be good

i recommend stronglifts to everyone because its good and will get you in shape and looking good over time,

but maybe you wanna stick with body weight stuff (pull ups push ups planks squats dips) that you can do at home for now, i dont have a good routine for that

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

for base activity the 7 minute workout done 2-3 times in a row is p good https://youtu.be/ECxYJcnvyMw

the arnie covid home workout was also p good the first year of covid though i still suck at push ups https://www.reddit.com/user/GovSchwarzenegger/comments/flz3es/stay_at_home_stay_fit/

there is a thread about this https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3953955&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=11

if youre in good health and mobile, you can get into shape all it takes is consistency

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 31, 2022

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i think jumping directly into doing gym stuff needs a little build up or youll get overwhelmed, the body weight squats are a great start

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

quote:

i always just give up a week into any attempt to consistently exercise

i can't find the energy or will to even try anymore, knowing this

are you maybe going to hard to start out? or maybe can't find the time effectively (like it feels like you should be doing something else with your time)?

i want to know because my main thing is always about trying to figure out how to get people i know to stick at it, because it's the "sticking at it" part that makes it work

the biggest thing i've found is people try to do too much at once, overloading themselves and then giving up

it should be gradual. like start exercising, then like 6 months later, start eating healthier, then like 6 months later, change up your workout to be more intense or goal targeted and so on, they beget each other very naturally.

or like having someone you REALLY love or respect get on your rear end about it, in a nice way

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

can barely breathe after five minutes on an e-bike, muscles weak & getting weaker, me making excuses and/or feeling morose instead of doing something about it

yeah that's me to a t, sure enough

ok then you're starting too hard (relatively) i think, try walking a lot more as a beginning thing if you can, do the 7 minute routine once a day at home until you can do it without getting winded, then do it twice

see if a friend or family member would be willing to be a coach or at least an alarm clock to yell at you to do the small things

it's small, progressive things that work, and small incremental goals, not like super maxing lifts or crossfit or whatever the big health woo cult want you to think

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i like just chocolate wafer/short bread/maria cookies all the extra poo poo isnt that necessary

milanos are also a fave

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Surprise T Rex posted:

cjs: notice handed in.

In the UK so my figgies are nowhere near freedom land levels, but going to be on 83 thousand pounds sterling per year which is nice.

Lol my salary a year ago was 45k.

congratulations, hope that goes far wherever youre at

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

lmao look at this loving noob-lord

this is like "no soap radio" sort of poo poo right? or like "your upper lip"? or is it an actual thing?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

ah i see

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Had a dream where I posted something about work but it got mangled into me bitching about the 'the the the the' operator not being a thing and then there were several pages of me getting dunked on for not knowing about the 'the the the the' operator and how important it is for any programming task.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

awful.app shrinks it down tho

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

youre less likely to die while flying but its way worse than driving ecologically eo figure out where your mindset fits there

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

individual actions won't save us from climate change

in aggregate they might (like fr what do the massive polluting things do? likely energy or plastic/common metal production or maybe farming, tell me idk) but yeah we are all gonna die

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

as a crypto bro im used to paying $270 in GAS for a $7 purchase so i align with this

ah man a death culter MODS????!

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

yo taking all the vocal prod out of this slaps, would make a great remix

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i miss going to shows, it's been so long that i don't know what it would be like now

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

if you cook for yourself from fresh stuff it also works for getting you to eat better, but you cant be making those like tiktok/instagram over the top for clicks things

like bake some chicken breasts with some vegetables

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

hbag posted:

im not qualified for this or anything else

hey i've been doing this for like 20 years and same

you will get through this, and you will improve

being confused and asking questions is what everyone goes through

generally, if you're not confused or asking questions, you're not learning (yes there are exceptions)

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

writing docs so anyone can work on something is a great way to get fired i've heard

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

just gonna echo that poker is fun as hell but also never buy in for more than you can afford

i can do small stakes fine but midstakes is murdering me so i just stick to tiny (1/2 and less) games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Zamujasa posted:

high stakes poker on gsn was the only good poker on tv because it was a. real money and b. allowed to do whatever they wanted including stupid side bets or other nonsense, and the commentators at the start were great

mr kotter was great as a commentator on that because he knew all of them and would give them poo poo and it was knowing