Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

think of how much no-bullshit good advice we legitimately share with each other here. it's helped a lot of people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

dioxazine posted:

heck, i'm complaining to my cousin on line right now! might complain to another family member on wechat later

good contribution comrade, society thanks you

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

metaphysical fish touching

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my stocks are down too but who cares everyone's are. we're all just along for the ride and we hope to the number god that we can retire at the crest of a wave

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah you gotta use the worst website on earth

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Oh yeah I forgot about Twitter

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

https://twitter.com/armanddoma/status/1528832451228798977?s=21

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The Brits are at it again

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The British love cruel teachers because they have the utmost contempt for their children

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i've been managing to go to bed at roughly midnight lately which is a great improvement for me. used to be 2 or 3 am all the time

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

mystes posted:

hbag isn't that bad, op

not bad enough to put up a chimney

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

back in my day you bought Seagate because you didn't want your Western Digital to fail :corsair:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

neat

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My crow is becoming more comfortable with me, doesn't care if I'm outside anymore

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

python would be fine if the syntax and syntactic white space poo poo were eliminated

init (__self__) tf why do I have to do it like that

yeah it would be fine if it were a different language

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

why is everybody so opposed to the good parts of programming? static typing is good. meaningful whitespace is bad. underscores are bad too stop using them all over the place

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

brother, i agree

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I personally like CamelCasing for class names and constants and firstCamelCasing for variables

I'm a java boy at heart too

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The Fool posted:

in a classic post then read move,

UpperCamelCase, DromedaryCase, and PascalCase are all acceptable terms for that style

:justpost:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

You should be able to just read the code and figure it out. Don't get cute with it you assholes

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

loving mimes

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Tayter Swift posted:

cjs: p mad at python, pandas in particular, pd.DataFrame.groupby() in very particular

this poo poo never works

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ciaphas posted:

is it normal for company-shutdown days (like 2 days around xmas, that kind of thing) to be taken from pto accrual

No, holidays should be separate

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

If you're out of days do you have to work Christmas?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

😵

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

we’re doing summer hours rn which means a half day on Friday, and since summers are usually slow due to crunch time being late autumn through spring, it’s just incredibly chill.

I fixed a bug today then ate lunch with the family, went on a walk, and now me and a coworker are playing with Compose

is compose good? I've yet to really fucj with it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

rotor posted:

its my firmly held belief that fibonacci pointing is done to distract nerds from the interminable points-vs-time discussion

nerds: "why dont we just use hours or days, this point system is ridiculous"

agile coach: "so in the point system, we use a fibonacci number system to represent our estimates"

nerds: "oooo points"

Agile uses cult like jargon to get people lost in the sauce

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Agile sucks. I'm here to say it loud and often. Sprints are bad. Points are bad. Millions of meetings are bad. Perhaps the original manifesto had some good ideas but it's been perverted by many seminar holders and expanded into a pile of trash

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The best teams I've ever worked on have skipped 90% of the"ritual" meetings because they correctly identified them as a waste of time and mental energy

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

rotor posted:

agile is a tool like a gun or shoes and like any tool it can be used for good or evil

Agile is the zyklon b of tools

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sure it might squash bugs, but at what human cost

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Either management steers your team or you can do it effectively without the meeting. I've never been in one that was actually useful

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Im fact they have been frequently used by lovely managers to snoop on teams and chide them for complaining in my experience. there's 1 right way to agile and a billion wrong ones

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I think it’s fuckin incredible so far, but I’ve hated xml since day one

I’m concerned google is going to deprecate fragment soon and want to get ahead of the game

gently caress fragment

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

hbagbhaopy biethday what's your cjs

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Jesus Christ typing on a phone just gets worse and loving worse

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

mega agreedo

the big thing I like is we end up with a singular activity hosting composable functions, which aligns with how iOS works and eliminates almost if not all of the annoying lifecycle management bullshit that makes android dev a special pain in the rear end

also being able to finally scrap jetpack navigation will be nice

navigation components are...tolerable compared to fragment transactions but i'll cheer on the death of the fragment entirely. put it in the guillotine we should have never left the holy activity

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ciaphas posted:

afaict depending on unspecified circumstances we either go negative, draw from a different pool of hours (military pay/voting days/??? i guess???), or go unpaid

there's a chance i'm misinterpreting the language in the policy doc so i'm checking with HR - i'm gonna be capital A Annoyed if i'm getting snubbed for like 25% of my annual PTO, i know that much

this policy sucks rear end if it works that way

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ciaphas posted:

oog now i'm mad at myself for not noticing these past 3 years, even though i know drat well i'm not the bad actor here

stuipid loving brainworms i hate you so much

but, it appears my team lead had no idea about this either, and is "formulating a response", so there's maybe hope yet

is his response also a resignation letter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it's not a high effort kind of day