Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

none of us would have turned down the dad nepotism job hbag

i mean, i certainly would have, but my father would have been a pretty terrible boss.

also most of yospos is pretty coddled, to a point where it is not much of an insult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hbag posted:

that is by far the most piss-poor response yet

"dont worry you get used to wasting 5/7ths of your life"

can always quit and go back to the full 7/7ths

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

working 30 hours a week instead of 40+ is so much better. still kind of my passion, so bleeds into other time a touch, but up and leaving the office at 3:30 is enough to make life a lot better.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

julia.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

well known ecosystem concerned with stability and compatibility; python

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Perplx posted:

python3 added sane unicode support and had to break backward compatibility
there is no reason to break backwards compatibility again

i too have finally forgiven them for the ridiculous bungling of python3, but i do also mean that the broader ecosystem is pretty break-happy. it doesn't help that so much useful stuff tends to have some fragility to it because it has to be some kind of native module. which is also why

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its the new fortran. julia had its chance and mostly failed at getting to prod

i remain pretty optimistic on this though, a bit of a computation revolution still marching along, and julia is made *extremely* flexible/performant when you do need to plug your own code into computation cores/gpu workflows. but i do admit it is more a hope than a prediction.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

on the subject of computation, cjs: read a draft of an ml paper making actual headway on formally characterizing what is possible in some key models (i.e. severe limitations). extremely interesting, and i'm now struggling badly waiting for that to actually get published before i can do something with it.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

all suggestions pale compared to lisps lovely identifiers, so full of dashes, asterisks and question marks

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hbag just needs to melt that cheese properly, hard cheese is very fatty but liquids are good for you

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

or, you know, don't

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

KirbyKhan posted:

But sex is exercise.

Sexercise

otoh the original assumption, thet they were doing heroin, tends to more reliably lead to weight-loss.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Video Nasty posted:

Took the dog for a two mile walk around the neighborhood and drat near every yard had grills going and it smelled amazing.

it is a beautiful time of year. i got a box of cigars and look like such a tool puffing away on very long but extremely pleasant walks

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

akadajet posted:

yeah but we told you over several pages it doesn’t work that way lol

you have to realize that literally no one read that garbage

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hbag posted:

i finished all my tickets what the gently caress do i do now

:justpost:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

PIZZA.BAT posted:

cjs: i’m finally playing with docker for the first time. this is pretty slick ngl

i'll dispute "slick" forever, but it is one of those things that you have to grudgingly admit "oh yeah this simply removes a bunch of problems"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I'm like 78 hours behind the times, do swedish and finland families not feed their guests?

not as a matter of course no. the thing confusing twitter a bit is that it'd then be real weird to just (without asking) feed someones kid when they're over at your house. with it not being customary their parents/guardians are probably still expecting to have a meal with them when they get home.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

SmokaDustbowl posted:

loving christ no wonder black metal is so hosed up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTxPpIeBAsE

what is hosed up is your obsession with linking these nazi shitheads over and over

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

was really disappointed when I found out sabaton were most likely nazis. it's hard to listen to them now

burzum is not "most likely" though, an entirely ideological project. subculture fuckers beating up my friends and setting fire to the one attempt at a lgbt meeting place in my little scandinavian home town back in the 90s.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

well, do go hang out with some burzum fans and get your skull cracked open for the sake of the art.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I've bene previously probated for ym thoughts on varg, but black metal owns despite varg

to be constructive; i really hate varg and burzum and all the associated garbage because they did ringlead a lot of the worst (violent, intolerant) garbage of my youth. i don't mind black metal as such though, so i'll just say i'd really appreciate if we minimize their already miniscule artistic role here.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

endlessmonotony posted:

Ugh the weather is such garbage. 23C (~75F) with a 8 meter/second wind, and sunny.

At least it'll be cloudy tomorrow.

as i largely share weather with you i am quite happy that you have a long history of not having your wishes granted

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

cjs: having a beer after the messy but ultimately successful launch of an "algorithmic problem solving" course. the students were all darlings and tolerant of every part of the tech stack failing, solutions to the first problem set are streaming in, and the weather is fantastic.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hbag posted:

my DS220+ works fine for this ime

but yeah it's way cheaper to just cancel all your streaming services and start paying for usenet and a vpn

one does after all have the time to do a lot of piracy janitoring if one is awake 23 hours a day

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

still, this is comparing to clicking-thing-instantly-watching-thing. ultimately i pirate a bunch of stuff too, but it is clearly more hassle

e: and this is without me bothering with a vpn, which is absolutely a hassle.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

jesus christ we are in YOSPOS. people have built computers from individual transistors in here. one of our posters emeritus just ported doom to a/ux . and you say clicking a link and waiting fifteen minutes to have a movie forever is a hassle?

are you arguing that building your own computer from transistors, in a situation where you need a computer and aren't enjoying the act of doing it in and of itself, is not a hassle? if you think janitoring your piracy hoard is fun i am not trying to keep you from doing so.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

There is no "janitoring" i literally dont know what you're talking about do you have an example?

sure:

hbag posted:

man i just type what i want into sonarr or radarr and it does the rest for me

i use qbittorrent if it's not reliably on usenet though (more common than you'd think)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

anyways i got to go back to work and get on some projects, it's been fun getting baited by you but i tire of it

i am genuinely surprised that you think me suggesting that netflix is more convenient than piracy is me baiting you, but peace and enjoy your projects

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

i mean, to be fair, i watch NHK World for the first 10-12 hours of the day. i just leave it running the whole time and turn the audio down when i'm in a zoom.

at least we can all unironically agree on the convenience of this

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

A decent way to discover relationship trees in music is just to look up a youtube or two of a song or band you like and see what the recs hold. It might be a 5-10% hit rate but that's better'n nothing.

didn't find a song i like, but this crowder guy sure has some fresh new ideas

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

Funny, I don't get any of that. What else u been peepin?

no idea, and i don't get any other rightwing weirdos, but crowder now and then pops up like third in the recommendations. i find it somewhat likely that it is from some time i've forgotten youtube running and its reinforced itself into something.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i like using a computer to do things even if those things don't directly benefit my earthly material needs

i try real hard to keep the things i do on the computer to only the most fun though, ive wasted way too much of my life doing really "meh" computer touching for no reason.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the uk is kind of tiny and dense though, so running fiber backbones was not a big task, and that in itself is fine afaik.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

the second worst case scenario is that the buck stops at me and I have to be the one to slam the red “this design sucks and it won’t work” button

the absolute worst case scenario is that it gets so far there’s no button to hit

are you dropping bombs on weddings or having pacemakers stop or just feeling stressed out about quality personally?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nudgenudgetilt posted:

cjs: might have massively hosed up.

requested a thinkpad instead of a macbook at the new gig, and am learning the day before I start that linux workstations might be verboten. apparently all PCs must run windows and be managed workstations, but had I gotten a mac I'd have been allowed to run it unmanaged.

condolences, long as you get to run wsl you'll probably be fine, but if they are anal about it you might not get to.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hbag posted:

a passive-aggressive backhanded compliment was exactly what i wanted for my birthday how did you know

well, still, congrats on this weirdly significant birthday!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

i don't mind them because at this new job, i never get bullshit meeting invites for things like "Q3 OKRS for B2B High Tech Vertical Sales Presentation" and everything on my calendar relates to my job and helps me do it better and i don't despise the people in the little windows on the zoom call. blessed i suppose

yeah, i mean, obviously in a new job you would and should feel it out a bit. in a lot of places where you can already recognize the small fraction that is very important it is kind of good policy to make the people trying to schedule you for other stuff do a bit of work. which i think was the intent of the advice

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fart simpson posted:

usually when i travel somewhere there’s at least a meal or some food that sticks out in my memory. that meal for my two weeks in england was a ham sandwich from the cafe inside the british museum, lol. sad. can barely even remember anything else i ate there

you should get that checked out, many medications can cause forgetfulness and confusion

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yospos food opinions (outside actual cooking) are mostly wrong and universally tedious.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

dioxazine posted:

cjs: just thinking wistfully about how when wfh first started, i would get up early to shower and then log in. now i log in and shower on company time + do all my other morning stuff

also logging off in an hour for a three day weekend

same, and arguably better for both me and my job. do 5 mins of catching up to start, mull the issues of the day over in the shower and making coffee, launch into things very prepared and relaxed an hour later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I’ve only heard of and or used lua in the context of WOW lol

i've sen luajit pop up in networking stuff before. not that the language is better suited to that than many others, or that it is particularly suited for jit'ing, but the guy who wrote the jit (mike pall) is apparently a genius and it is way faster than it has any right to be.