Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Jonny 290 posted:

wasnt there a big thing several years back where a lot of people were doing cloud based dev environments? like it was a web based text editor, version control, deploy, and execute, so you didnt have to have a local dev environment etc? i dont write the codes so i'm not aware if those ever took off or if people just went back to vscode or w/e and local execution

all amazon devs have an ec2 c4.4x that is their main dev env that’s pre connected to all the systems. it’s honestly sick af and saved lots of bandwidth when working remote since brazil loves to redownload dependence’s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
quality number choices in the thread title btw

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
lol at yosposters exploring existential philosophy

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

not sure listening to disturbed will help but tend to your own garden

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i'm not claiming to understand it, but it seems pretty positive to me. we can be anything we want, because humans are free to choose their purpose. you think about the abstract idea of a table before you build one, it has a purpose before it exists. humans exist first and must find joy in creating our own purpose.

seems right to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
cjs: Lmao reading a book for work reading group. The companies it has highlighted as good examples: Johnson and Johnson, black rock, and blizzard

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Asleep Style posted:

it's amazing how quickly the "good examples" in business books turn back into pumpkins

the book came out in 2021

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
it’s a bs management business book. the core idea is you can’t be focused purely on short term profits and should enable people to do Work, in the abstract meaning of life sense, and be a company/manager aware of the people that make up the company. imo the big issue is it discusses Work, high concept philosophy, with labor, trading time/skill for money, as interchangeable concepts.

actually thinking about people and cultural impacts is good but lmao at picking j&j, blizzard, or black rock as good examples of this

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
cjs: god drat do we love streams. got a lambda listening to our dynamo stream. that lambda writes to a Kafka stream. that stream is listened to by a service. which then writes to dynamo and begins the cycle anew

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
the Costco whiteclaw equivalent is not good. just buy Costco gin and Costco seltzer Imo

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

PokeJoe posted:

when you're 35 you can afford way better horny paraphernalia

true

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
onion rings are great. really any fried small bites you dip in sauce are good. give me more hand held sauce delivery foods like wings

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
the sun not setting until 10p is great except my daughters room is westward facing so it’s continual, “but the sun is still up”

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
cjs: learned that if you change a dynamo table to provisioned capacity through the cli it also defined some auto scaling values for you that you can only update through a different cli call

also lol the support engineer was getting paged while one our page that’s so brutal

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
cjs: “you need to switch your dynamo table to provision capacity. we don’t trust the scaling,” the team that decided to roll their own custom k8 cluster distributed through ec2 that can’t actually manage scaling themselves

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
god drat do I miss hatch chilis and I’m allergic so they destroy me

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
cjs: WHY THE gently caress IS THERE EVEN A SETTING TO SET AUTOSCALING MIN/MAX TO 1??? WHY DOES THIS EXIST IN PROD AND WHY IS THE DEFAULT TO DO THAT DAILY

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
cjs: person on my team wants to make an alarm when memory used is > memory requested for our pods. is there any way for this to not be in alarm but to massively over provision? like what’s the point of having a scaling range if you actively discourage scaling?

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
the requested is 1g. we generally run at 2-2.5. the max is 6. his suggestion was to set request at 4g and max at 10g. I don’t get how this isn’t just wasting money. it’s a spring boot api that talks to dynamo. it does gently caress all that’s memory intensive

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Jonny 290 posted:

are you responsible for the bill? if not just do it

only portion of our bonus I have any control over is cloud spend so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ might as well

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
yeah it’s fair. and it’s like 90/10 company sales to cloud spend as a determiner. but my team is the least effective part of the sales funnel by far

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
oh memory is like not an issue at all. we never exceed 80% utilization even during load tests

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
again this is a spring boot crud api backed by dynamo. you have to just be the worst developer ever to make it a memory hog

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

rotor posted:

i typically try to present three options, but make sure to position the one that I want as the obviously correct choice. It gives the illusion of control to decision makers.

this was the secret to docs at Amazon. give options but make it clear two are dogshit bad ideas for morons

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Gnossiennes posted:

ime as a designer, also conversely: if you present multiple options for something, but one is filler and you would absolutely hate yourself if it got picked, it will be picked no matter how loving stupid it is

it’s a bit easier when you can add “con: costs more and is slow”

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
cjs: who knew the Z in date strings was important

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
you left of naut for zero

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
seriously though how the gently caress did anyone think “we should use a time zone other than utc” if they exist at a level beyond junior engineer

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
time sucks but either you use utc or you use epoch. there is nothing else.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
being able to drive to Vancouver is sick. glad the border is open again.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
can $5 even buy you a pack of pall malls?

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
cls: brining some chicken were frying tonight boys

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Jonny 290 posted:

Nice. what's your bath look like

buttermilk, pickle juice, salt, pepper, cayenne and an egg

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

rotor posted:

wow, i just use some epsom salt or maybe a lil bubble bath

you don’t know the levels of clean that are possible

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
is hbag sulk but British and maybe doesn’t have a weird dog

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
fried chicken update: brine was good. breading needed more spice. need to figure out how to get the oil the right temp. always end up a little too high and chicken is darker than I want

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
cjs a story in two graphs from earlier today

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
either giant cheese bread or tiny beer. either way decent deal for $1.82

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
flamin cheetohs and all other hot chips have nothing on Andy capp’s hot fries. like munchos they are the superior chip you’d never buy from anywhere except a vending machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
at one job I did not have admin rights on my laptop for the first month I worked there. I was emailing a coworker Java code and having them compile it while I mostly did pm stuff