Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

President Beep posted:

A Management-Involved Reduction in Force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

Love a good Boston Creampie

same

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i dont think you have to pick between the different types of cream pies, i think you can enjoy all of them.

also nutty buddy bars

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hbag posted:

they made powershell a WOMAN

wokeness gone mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!

this is so embarrassing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mystes posted:

I think he means the logo not your post

yeah powershell is bad but its better than other shells. the mascot is the cringe

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hbag posted:

doing XSS in my lab and i can hardly hear myself think over everyone else talking loud as gently caress

i put on some music and it's helping a little but they're bone conduction headphones so it doesn't block any of the sound out

welcome back to the office

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the cable cos absolutely will not let you use your own gear because they dont want boomers calling in saying they arent getting gig speeds on their 300N linksky router

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
spectrum wont let you use your own gear on the top end gig plans last i checked.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

InternetOfTwinks posted:

I've used my own gear on Spectrum without issue, but I also didn't have the big dick max speed connection available at my last place.

yeah its only the gig plan they wouldnt let me use my gear on so i passed and stayed with the 500mb plan

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
balled meat is pretty good stuff

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i dont know what meth smells like

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

i love pork belly so much

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

cjs: monday and daylight saving what the gently caress

lets not change back in the fall this time

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

I want the one that's dark in the morning and light at night. I think that's this one?

I don't mind going to work while it's still dark. It's actually nice to see the sunrise. But I hate coming home after the sun has already gone down.

for sure. more daylight in the evening is the best. there are a bunch of articles being posted about how morning light is healthier but its all propaganda by psychos who get up at like 5 am and go to bed at 8

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

lol I work for the government and we don't follow NIST guidelines.

the password is near worthless at least,I think the password is only used for the voicemail system now and it is going away soon. everything even vaguely important is done using 2FA with a smartcard a separate pin.

government bureaucrats know better than NIST

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Roosevelt posted:

just watched the lowly blackhawks destroy the bruins at united center
lol

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

lol modern series get like 10 episodes if they're lucky. most of the ones that get more than that faceplant anyway

part of the problem is that serialization is hard. a short episode order can work if you don't have a lot to say, or if you already know how you're gonna say it. they usually don't though, going off into weird tangents with no resolution or actual arc planning

that's also why something like star trek works well with 20+ episodes per season. there's a general premise and sometimes an overarching background story, but that's it

serialization is hard because it requires a set of skills to keep it on budget and on time which means producers have to actually work instead of just sitting there taking a pay check to suck up credit and harass the talent. something like a TNG or and SG1 you shoot 4-5 episodes a week where the days are long as hell and its all out of order in order to maximize location/crew time.

writing wise i think its a little more forgiving over 20 episodes where theres far more room for experimentation with story and character to establish your universe. If something doesnt work, whoops its a bottle episode and you never talk about it again. If something does work in a 10 episode stat track its unsalvageable. But it is also means you can do a "The Measure of a Man" which is foundational to the canon, and also a bottle episode. You're not going to get that in a 10 episode series.

Thats not to say you dont need good writers for serialization cause you absolutely do, you just give them a little more freedom and the ability to bring on more writers to share the load. A 10 episode thing should really be the work of an individual or a small group for maximum consistency and punch of the single story you're telling.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I think theres also a problem w/ streaming execs thinking that prestige TV is the only way to get people to subscribe and/or the only way to be taken seriously as a content producer.

Obviously thats dumb as hell and wrong, and its kind of totally loving up the economics of streaming. They spend hundreds of millions on an 8-10 episode run that has a 70% chance to flop and then they tie that flop to their service as an exclusive like an anchor around their necks.

Going back to a serialization syndication model makes all the sense in the world. You have 2 shows running 20-26 episodes released 1 a week on the, both on same day. You create a reason for people to come back to your service each week and for some that day becomes appointment watching. You run it exclusively on your platform for the first year, and then it goes to syndication on other services. You also fire up another 2 shows running on an offset schedule to the first 2 shows so you always have something for people to look forward to.

5 mil an episode would get you 100 episodes a year for the cost of one failed bored of the rings show. That many episodes keeps people subscribed and then you get even more revenue in syndication.

idk, maybe im just totally wrong here, but this seems like an easy win. maybe they just dont have the right people at the top who are capable of hiring the talent to make those kinds of shows happen.

Shaggar fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 15, 2023

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i also find it a bit strange how little low-budget but fairly professional youtube content has cross-polinated with streaming. at one point seemed such an easy way to go to fill out content, picking up popular creators and quadrupling their budgets.

may not have been for everyone, but similarly about making something a bit cheaper that then doesn't have to set the world on fire within 48 hours to be worth it.

remains possible that the driving motivation of all streaming services is getting executives access to hollywood sex parties though.

its actually something thats been tried but it always fails because the process that makes youtube videos good is counter to traditional tv processes. they dont end up just giving the youtuber money, they give them money and then tell them what to do, destroying the entire premise.

One problem is that most youtubers arent that reliable as content creators. They're doing poo poo when they can on their own schedule because thats what attracted them to the platform. If you try to move someone who works like that to a strict tv production schedule it fails.

The few successes in migrating youtube/twitch creators to big streamers have been from well established, more professional productions that were already run like tv shows.

Even if the existing youtube content is relatively professional and scheduled, you can ruin the format by injecting it with tv sensibilities. A perfect example is Norm's podcast when it went from youtube to netflix. It became way too corporate and censored. Netflix went so far as to pull all the old episodes from youtube cause they are cowards which sucks so bad

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

bump_fn posted:

rip lance reddick

too cool for thsi world

its totally hosed. he was only 60

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the WBC should be every year

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
is the log statement preventing garbage collection of an object reference in the statement?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

quiggy posted:

nah there's a bug somewhere in a chain of IDisposable objects, gonna spend some time this afternoon finding it

linq stuff being lazy evaluated can cause problems if you wait until after exiting a using statement to enumerate the contents. I dont think its defined behavior so i've seen some things just fail if a resource underlying the enumeration has been disposed, but i imagine there are some implementations that might lock a disposable resource open and fail to dispose if its still referenced.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rotor posted:

hahahahaa

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

man i was nuts about pringles as a kid, got a tube recently, no good man, no good.

also theyre like $3 a can now, gently caress that

their quality has severely dropped from when you or I would have had them as kids

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

nudgenudgetilt posted:

cls: god bless the fat gently caress who thought up garlic butter as a dipping sauce

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i made some shrimp + pasta yesterday that was fantastic and the key components were garlic and butter

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

HamAdams posted:

i'm allergic to shellfish and i feel like i'm missing out on so much

they're pretty good, but they're also a vehicle for garlic and butter

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Fool posted:

i had a pasta dish in italy, that, as far as i could tell was just butter, garlic, and clams on spaghetti

it was amazing

butter + garlic is a cheat code

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

c espresso s: I’m trying to switch off energy drinks to espresso now that we have a fancy espresso machine with steam wand, but the weird thing is is that for supposedly having a shitload of caffeine, I don’t feel it at all. I had five double shots today and I’m not sure if it’s the milk fat or what but I feel like I haven’t had caffeine at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etnMr8oUSDo

compared to some other brewing methods espresso has less caffeine extraction from the same dose of coffee, but its a lower volume of water so you can pound back more. Also bean and roast will have an impact as well, with darker roasts resulting in higher caffeine extraction

That said if you're coming off energy drinks your poo poo just may be all hosed up cause 5 doubles is still a shitload. I'd keep it to like 2

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

i like sea bugs and shellfish so much that i still eat them even after shucking 10 doz oysters daily at the crab shack

i love sea bugs and oysters

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hbag posted:

no i know i Get It it's just funny that he's using passing out on the toilet to explain it

passing out on the toilet is an example of blocking. a thread successfully acquired the resource but is keeping it locked because of (in this case) a failure. Another example would be that he just cant stop making GBS threads. A thread can successfully acquire a resource and just never give it up because it just keeps using it.

Neither of those are deadlocks which is where both resources somehow acquire a lock before actually doing any work. It would be like 2 people rush into the same stall and they get stuck in the doorway. Neither can access the toilet, and neither can stop blocking access to the toilet.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cat Face Joe posted:

you shouldn't use sus irl at all cause it used to mean you suspect someone's gay

:thunk:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
bruins just won the presidents trophy and also have the most wins in franchise history. pretty good team

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i dropped out and it hasnt been a problem at any point. most college computer science programs are worthless beyond like the first 2 classes that give you the basics of programming and data structures.

they've always been missing more practically useful courses on things like troubleshooting, but i think theres also opportunity now to be teaching technical computer skills that have disappeared as tablets and phones have taken over.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
so many college professors are also just really loving bad at teaching.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

post hole digger posted:

similarly:

https://twitter.com/erikphoel/status/1642933666983690259

i dont exactly take a doom and gloom view of this, i dont think the humanities are 'dead', but thats a pretty jarring decline and as someone who studied a humanity i think its a shame.

those poor universities. where will they find a new crop of suckers to take on infinite debt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
community college is free for recent HS grads in maine which i think is a cool idea.