Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
JOE VS JOHNNY 1 0.80%
HANGMAN VS TAKESHITA 98 78.40%
WORKHORSEMEN VS SWERVE AND KEITH 1 0.80%
KYLE VS REY 18 14.40%
MAKI VS BRITT 6 4.80%
JEFF VS ADAM 1 0.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

Dax didn't win and unless the storyline going forward is 'Adam Cole is actually a dumbass who doesn't win when it counts' then Kyle isn't winning either.
So Cole wins a big tournament by beating 3 guys with a combined 0 singles wins in their AEW careers before this tournament.

You not thinking someone will win doesn't mean a lot of fans didn't and the history between Kyle and Cole would be a huge selling point that would make people think it could go either way. Because it's the Owen Hart tournament and Kyle O'Reilly has been the little brother for years.

Jeff Hardy is a very famous wrestler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

I think Hangman vs Takeshita might be my favorite match of the year so far. Maybe.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jeff Hardy, who has held singles world championships in multiple promotions in his career, is Just A Tag Wrestler with Zero Singles Wins in AEW, I guess

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
honestly kylo should win the owen over adam cole and then brag about it a lot and adam cole should get mad but they're still friends

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

neoaxd posted:

I think Hangman vs Takeshita might be my favorite match of the year so far. Maybe.

it's too bad the tag guy won though

also

quote:

unless the storyline going forward is 'Adam Cole is actually a dumbass who doesn't win when it counts'

this is, quite literally, exactly adam cole's character in aew. guy thinks he's the best and can't cinch it and has no chill when he loses. remember when he stole the belt and held a celebration with his buddies about it?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The tag division is literally the best group of talent in AEW right now. No shame in losing to any of them.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Rampage spoilers but important news

Danielson might be legit injured after a ring accident hosed his leg up

his leg got trapped between the ring and the ramp and they had to dismantle it to free him.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

danielson might have gotten injured at rampage. bummer.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
tag wrestlers are good wrestlers, and a tournament is exactly a good way to give an excuse for those wrestlers to shine on their own. a tag match requires different skills than a singles match in keyfabe and someone who's good at one might not be great at the other, but importantly at least in aew that gets treated both ways

hangman and kenny are amazing singles wrestlers but their story in the leadup to their winning the tag titles was outright 'we need to get enough on the same page and hit the rhythm to finally win when it counts to beat all the amazing tag teams who've been working together for years'

jungle boy is currently struggling with winning on his own without being able to rely on someone else watching his back or not being able to make a hot tag to get a breather in, but very importantly the story there isn't "he's too much of a chump to hang with Actual Wrestlers"

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

yea ok posted:

danielson might have gotten injured at rampage. bummer.

No!

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
that sucks!

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

there's a short video and it looks awful but apparently he limped out without help so at the very least he's a tough and prideful idiot

https://twitter.com/TurnHeelWres/status/1527136152171446274

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
how the heck does that even happen. wonder if someone on the ring crew hosed up somehow

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

The "just a tag wrestler" thing is extra funny when it's about a tournament named after Owen Hart.

A guy who spent most of his WWF career as a part of tag teams in-between brief singles pushes that made it clear he could do so much more.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

they sure did reference el generico a lot tonight

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
drat the thread got stupid incredibly fast

i hope bryans okay, i saw a vid on twitter and it looked... really fuckin gnarly and like he was in a shitload of pain. no gore or anything but it looked awful and i wouldnt mind one bit if they never ran that ramp setup again unless there was a way to ensure absolutely no gap between the ramp or the ring. if he doesn't end up with a serious injury itd be a huuuuge dodged bullet.

the wardlow segment and jericho/bcc segment were a couple of my favorite in ring promo stuff in a while. i hope the wardlow belt whip thing ends that gimmick bc beforehand i was seriously like "ugh this again okay fine" and after the first hit with wardlow not even flinching and doing a little titty dance i had completely flipped. but also like... you cant do that again bc wardlow completely buried the whole thing lol. so hopefully thats dead. and JAS/BCC just have fantastic chemistry for in ring promos and i love the uneasy allies/friends of friends nature of eddie and PNP being there. just so many elements at play and so many snipes back and forth and sometimes on the same side i am very into this whole thing and ESPECIALLY do not want danielson to get hurt and miss out on being part of it.

also daddy magic and cool hand ang are one of my favorite things on my tv these days, just a cocaine eye yelling maniac wrestler, its so rare these days, i miss it, i love those fellers

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'm guessing he ended up with a really gnarly cramp and his leg mostly asleep based on how he was walking. While I wasn't stuck in a situation quite that long I did have my leg stuck in a very tight wrap on silks for a couple minutes and ended up stumbling around until I got feeling in it.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

It's pretty impressive that Cody managed to help get Wardlow over when he isn't even part of the company any more.

true king.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I got to see Maki Itoh in AEW again! :woop:

Instant A+ Dynamite regardless of what’s on the rest of the show. Punk rules and the Punkshot Lariat rules.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

if anything happens to Danielson I will hit the ring

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Eat My Fuc posted:

that ring is 2-0, you don't stand a chance

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Eat My Fuc posted:

what would be your entrance music

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
gotta throw Paul Wight at rings to do any damage

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
adam cole and britt are winning the owen cups and then theyre gonna talk about how they hosed with the owen cups in the bed in their feud with sammy and tay

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
https://twitter.com/trentylocks/status/1527097313696661504

This is an immense relief.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

gotta throw Paul Wight at rings to do any damage

Like that time in wcw when he couldn't hit Kevin nash so he pushed a ring post over instead

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/SexyChuckieT/status/1527096468888293378

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
i dont know who to trust

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Seams posted:

what would be your entrance music

Stand Back

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Trent's post was three minutes later. They're fine. It's fine.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

only temporary posted:

Anything specific to watch if I subscribe? Guess this is more of a general question

It can be tough to sort through all the content for sure, they've got a ton of house shows and stuff up there, but the big named shows usually stand out with a graphic, and a lot of those big ones have English commentary. They also have a "Big Matches" section for those bigger shows, but it doesn't seem like they've updated it since the beginning of this year. The last major DDT show was Judgement 2022 and the last major TJPW show was Grand Princess 2022.

You also get Noah, which generally has some amazing workrate and very questionable long-term booking, and Ganbare which is an 80's movie that dreamed of turning into an indie wrestling promotion.

The Best Matches thread can generally be a good place to see which shows are worth seeking out, but I'm gonna call special attention to one of the matches on Never Mind 2021 which had Minoru Suzuki, Maki Itoh & Chris Brookes vs Eruption. There's no English commentary for this one unfortunately, but you really don't need it.

Itoh was excited to have Minoru Suzuki joining the Itoh Respect Army, but Suzuki was more interested in going after one of his rivals in Eruption named Yukio Sakaguchi, a handsome tan kickboy covered in tattoos. You've also got Kazusada Higuchi, a handsome big ox with a tough head, and Saki Akai, a handsome woman with the longest legs in the world. Eruption is a very handsome stable.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Eruption is the best stable in pro wrestling

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Eat My Fuc posted:

Stand Back

Use this version: https://youtu.be/AwPVFp5ho6U

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Happiness posted:

The "just a tag wrestler" thing is extra funny when it's about a tournament named after Owen Hart.

A guy who spent most of his WWF career as a part of tag teams in-between brief singles pushes that made it clear he could do so much more.

I was laughing about that too and glad I wasn’t the only one. Wicked good Dynamite as always.

Joe vs Johnny Elite (aka Nitro aka Mundo aka Impact aka Morrison) - I really enjoyed this match. More than most I think. Joe needed to keep looking like a beast and he did. I know Joe doesn’t quite look like he did 10-15 years ago but this is what I hoped his Wwe run would be. I’m glad to enjoy the time he has left. Johnny was a guy I always liked and was sad he never seemed to reach that top level he always seemed to be close to. Came close in LU but only 5 or 6 of us watched that so… hoping he does hits a new resurgence here. Other than the 450 I thought he looked good. I was a little sad it wasn’t Claudio but happy it wasn’t Gargano or Chiampa. Still hoping Claudio comes in strong one day.

Takeshita and Page was amazing. I know most here were not surprised but drat… please let Takeshita do more everywhere. Just mind blowing good and, although I knew he was going to lose, he still looked loving strong. Good job Tony Khan.

I love Swerve and Keith Lee and want to hang out with them. Swerve is so effortlessly cool and looks great in the ring and Lee is a star. Give them belts Dub.

KoR and Rey Fenix was also top notch but c’mon! It’s Rey and Sleazy Kyle. Love that greasy goblin man.

Maki Itoh was on my screen and kicked butt! Was sad about the result but at least I got to see Maki Itoh some more.

JAS vs BCC and Eddie’s Crew was good sports entertainment! Everyone looked and sounded great and can’t wait for more. Loved Dragon and Eddie tension and hope it leads….

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

there's a short video and it looks awful but apparently he limped out without help so at the very least he's a tough and prideful idiot

https://twitter.com/TurnHeelWres/status/1527136152171446274

gently caress.

Velvet seems to really doing well with her baddie character but Stat was kinda bad. Hate saying that as I love Statlander. Deeb was rough but I liked the meat of her promo. Hoping Eddie and whomever else helps out with promos works with the women more as Jade, Ruby, Nyla and Britt can’t carry all the load.

Speaking of Promos… I’ve been rooting for Matt Sydal for years. Years. Kinda still hoping he gets a secondary title run but brother that promo is not helping his chances. Dante’s shirt was great and he already beats Ricochet in the promo turf while having Rico’s peak skill in the ring. That dude is going to be big one day I will bet serious money.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 19, 2022

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So help me if Bryan is hurt just as I was starting to really feel what he's doing in AEW...

Also I hope Punk wins.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Really hope Dragon's okay

Weird Dynamite for me. I didn't feel super into a lot of it(caveat: I have no fuckin clue who the male Joker is) but holy shiiiiit I loved Hangman/Takeshita and especially Fenix/O'Reilly. Somehow I was rooting for KOR to win the whole tournament by the end

e: also there's no way Britt's winning the whole thing, Ruby's gonna go over her in the finals

TheIncredulousHulk fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 19, 2022

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

e: also there's no way Britt's winning the whole thing, Ruby's gonna go over her in the finals

so help me god if this is the final I'm making it a three point match

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I think it’s gonna be Toni vs Ruby in the final with Toni going over. Dunno about the mens side but I hope Kor wins it

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Something I'm not clear on: are Eddie, Santana, and Ortiz legit BCC now?

If so, that's my favorite thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I think they’re just BCC adjacent