Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

my parents are weird and pretty bad, and yes they annoy me pretty often if i interact with them. here are a few of the worst bits:

they are white supremacists, and not the kind where they keep it to themselves. taught my siblings and i when we grew up that hitler was right to do the holocaust, constant slurs, tier lists of races and ethnicities, the whole works. they are a little more quiet about it in public now than when i grew up, but in private, it's all still there. i grew up believing all that stuff because of them and didn't shed it off until i left home for college. my brother never stopped believing it.

they became antivax during the pandemic, believe in every conspiracy you can imagine, including: masks are harmful, covid is a chinese weapon designed to remove our sense of smell, vaccines are killing millions and the democrats won't let you know (have you heard of VAERS??), the vaccinated are shedding covid and that's why my parents keep catching it (which, in reality they have only tested positive once, but believe and treat as absolute fact that they've caught it multiple times including in 2019). they are also not shy about telling everyone they meet in public about this stuff anytime they can wedge it into a conversation. at least they tip the waiters who have to listen to it well.

they have very few friends to help enforce social norms on them. my mom is friends with a small number of other moms, though the only close friend she had died many years ago, and i've only known my dad to ever have 2 friends in the nearly 40 years i've been alive, who were both extreme eccentrics. otherwise their only social contact is with their small families who live 1000+ miles away, and few are still alive at this point.

it's exhausting being around them because they don't really do much other than go to restaurants, and so the only subjects they can talk about aside from their pets are whatever they last saw on tucker or health issues.

probably the only good thing they ever did was leave the church, although they still maintain all the puritanical beliefs they grew up with. there's just no lore or sunday service attached anymore. they were also good parents in the bare minimum sense that they didn't abuse or completely neglect their kids. they were repressive and authoritarian, but at least home felt safe.

i still keep limited contact with them. the resentment i used to feel toward them has been mostly reduced to pity, but they are still annoying people to be around for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU