Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Best Breakfast Potato Dish
Hash Browns
Home Fries
Skillet Potatoes or some other regional dish that no one has really heard of
View Results

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

ArbitraryC posted:

Grew up in the PNW and I legit don't think I've ever heard the term home fries. Usually it's just hashbrowns and you'll see in the description "homestyle" or cubed/diced if it's the kind you call home fries, and if it just says hashbrown with no modifiers it's the shredded kind. There's probably a picture if you get real confused.

Yeah, I live right outside Salem and I've never seen hash browns called home fries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akma
Jan 30, 2016

I simply lack the motivation to write anything here.
False dilemma. I can get some home fries AND (boomer caps for the win) some hash browns that are scattered, smothered, covered, and peppered.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

akma posted:

False dilemma. I can get some home fries AND (boomer caps for the win) some hash browns that are scattered, smothered, covered, and peppered.

There's a local diner here I used to go to a bunch before it got really popular and ended up suffering from menu bloat, a drop in quality as a result, and ballooning prices, but in the formative days their hashbrowns were an odd but good mix of diced and shredded (as well as peppers and onions). Hands down my favorite breakfast side there and probably the best hashbrowns I've had in a restaurant.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

hash browns are more reliable, but you get yourself a good home fry, oh baby oh baby

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
This is a case of good home fries beat hashbrowns every time, but most places make poo poo home fries so your safer getting hashbrowns which are always solid

Edit lol reading the thread is for dweebs, but basically exactly what the post above mine said

akma
Jan 30, 2016

I simply lack the motivation to write anything here.

ArbitraryC posted:

There's a local diner here I used to go to a bunch before it got really popular and ended up suffering from menu bloat, a drop in quality as a result, and ballooning prices, but in the formative days their hashbrowns were an odd but good mix of diced and shredded (as well as peppers and onions). Hands down my favorite breakfast side there and probably the best hashbrowns I've had in a restaurant.

There's a place near me owned by a former fry cook at waffle house. He basically copied yet slightly improved waffle house hash browns, but he'll cook up home fries by request too. They aren't on the menu, but he'll do requests for regulars.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Roasted dill 'tatoes are god-tier for all meals, but you gotta make them yourself.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Hashbrowns all god drat day. They soak up egg yolk better.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
you say po tay toe i say po tah toe
po tay toe
po tah toe
let's smoke meth and gently caress your sister

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

pro starcraft loser posted:

this looks like a covid patient sneezed on ur plate

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'll get home fries occasionally, but 90% of the time will order hash browns.

And I haven't done it in a while, but I've been known to get the pre-formed frozen hashbrowns and microwave them. They come out kind of chewy and it's great.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Sweet potato hash … oranges are good too

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Buce posted:

Sweet potato hash … oranges are good too

I'm tempted to probe you for posting such horrors.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Hash browns and home fries are both great because neither are tots. Tots are offensive in the nostrils of God

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

gleebster posted:

Hash browns and home fries are both great because neither are tots. Tots are offensive in the nostrils of God

You have every right to be completely wrong.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

aldi was sold out of hash browns the last two times i went. big bull poo poo

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

CaptainSarcastic posted:

You have every right to be completely wrong.

And someday I may exercise that right, but not today

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

That's potatoes O'Brien, jeez

That's just what the racists on DS9 called him.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Yeah, I live right outside Salem and I've never seen hash browns called home fries.

The last 11 years I’ve been in Portland and Corvallis and there’s plenty of motherfuckers calling hash browns home fries out here.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

boil 'em mash 'em stick 'em in ur butt

e: voted 2

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Pug Rodeo posted:

The last 11 years I’ve been in Portland and Corvallis and there’s plenty of motherfuckers calling hash browns home fries out here.

In Eugene they usually differentiate the two, and a lot of places carry both.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
We called these jo jos.

They are not "potato wedges," you loving Philistine. They are jo jos.

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.
When I lived in Florida :gonk:, “hash browns” were shredded, fried potatoes, and “home fries” were diced fried potatoes

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Animal-Mother posted:

We called these jo jos.

These are great until you run out of ranch to dip them in.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Animal-Mother posted:

We called these jo jos.

Sub-garbage tier potato

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su

DamnCanadian posted:

When I lived in Florida :gonk:, “hash browns” were shredded, fried potatoes, and “home fries” were diced fried potatoes

This is the correct interpretation. Hash browns to me have always meant the shredded potato. Home fries are the small/medium potato cubes that often include onions and bell peppers by default.

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su

gleebster posted:

I can eat like 10 tater tots max. After that, it's just too much grease. Same thing with the McDonalds "hash brown" which is ultimately just a rectangular tater tot.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Shredding and thin scalloping are the only cuts that should be made to a potato. Everything else (home fries, diced, etc.) is garbage and you might as well have just baked or mashed the fucker

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

i wonder what caliber tater tots are. i mean if they're close to .68 you could possibly shoot them out of a paintball gun

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

dee eight posted:

i wonder what caliber tater tots are. i mean if they're close to .68 you could possibly shoot them out of a paintball gun

being shot out of a paintball gun is all they're good for

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

dee eight posted:

So a mini potato cannon

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

pro starcraft loser posted:

:hai:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Depends on where I'm eating. Some places have better hash browns than home fries, some place are the opposite.

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
Home fries cooked with old bay like the way the diner back home did it. Hash browns really run the gamut depending on place. They can easily be too greasy, or dry as dust.

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

SAY YOHO posted:

Home fries cooked with old bay like the way the diner back home did it. Hash browns really run the gamut depending on place. They can easily be too greasy, or dry as dust.

I'm a hash brown zealot. But I begrudgingly admit that 10% of the home fries I get are very good. I'm going to have to try some Old Bay home fries.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Freedom fries are pretty good

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

Freedom fries are pretty good

crinkle cut with vinegar

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Nooner posted:

Sub-garbage tier potato

:yeah:

"i'm gonna take these potatoes, cut em up into eighths, then only cook em half way that'll be good" - a loving idiot

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Animal-Mother posted:

We called these jo jos.

These were ok back in high school when you could get a huge box of them at kfc for like 4 bucks. Not great otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Animal-Mother posted:

We called these jo jos.

Nooner posted:

Sub-garbage tier potato

Chief McHeath posted:

:yeah:

"i'm gonna take these potatoes, cut em up into eighths, then only cook em half way that'll be good" - a loving idiot