Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Best Breakfast Potato Dish
Hash Browns
Home Fries
Skillet Potatoes or some other regional dish that no one has really heard of
View Results

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I feel like homestyle is consistently better but you do occasionally come across really good shredded, maybe they're easier to screw up, not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Lots of places in the Pacific Northwest list hash browns as home fries on their menu and it’s INFURIATING.

It’s time for my medication thanks for listening
Grew up in the PNW and I legit don't think I've ever heard the term home fries. Usually it's just hashbrowns and you'll see in the description "homestyle" or cubed/diced if it's the kind you call home fries, and if it just says hashbrown with no modifiers it's the shredded kind. There's probably a picture if you get real confused.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

akma posted:

False dilemma. I can get some home fries AND (boomer caps for the win) some hash browns that are scattered, smothered, covered, and peppered.

There's a local diner here I used to go to a bunch before it got really popular and ended up suffering from menu bloat, a drop in quality as a result, and ballooning prices, but in the formative days their hashbrowns were an odd but good mix of diced and shredded (as well as peppers and onions). Hands down my favorite breakfast side there and probably the best hashbrowns I've had in a restaurant.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Chief McHeath posted:

:yeah:

"i'm gonna take these potatoes, cut em up into eighths, then only cook em half way that'll be good" - a loving idiot

There's a gas station close to where I work that sells these chicken tender and jojo combos, and I have a coworker that swears by the chicken. Unironically calling it "best fried chicken in town" (I had it once out of curiosity, it's pretty mediocre, would take grocery store deli food over it for sure). Their jojo's are often as you describe, undercooked in the middle. He gives them away or throws them away and just eats the chicken. However, well done jojos are fantastic, crispy on the outside and some fluffy potato on the inside.

Vim Fuego posted:

Hash browns by a mile, home fries are almost uniformly soggy and uninspiring

Between this post and the one above I think the running theme of this thread is most goons have had a bad experience or two with one variant and a more consistently good experience with another kind so they just say one's good and the other is bad universally. Homestyle hashbrowns should have a nice crispy outside and a fluffy inside like any potato fried in oil, and it's honestly been my experience that these are more consistently done better than the shredded kind cause I feel like they're harder to screw up (also hence why they're more commonly cooked at home).

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Depends on where I'm eating. Some places have better hash browns than home fries, some place are the opposite.

See this goon gets it.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Potatoe wedges are just large steak fries, and don't get me wrong I like em, but it's not the same as a jojo, which is battered and fried. I've seen a trend towards calling jojo's potatoe wedges, which is wrong and adds ambiguity, but everywhere that does this knows what you're asking for when you say jojo so I'm not sure what rock you have to live under to have not heard the term.

For reference I was born in the midwest and now live in the pnw so we're talking at least 2/3rds of the country knows about it, maybe east coast or southwest is missing out I dunno.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Things are different in other regions of the country.

I've never heard of them here. thb I don't even think I heard of them when I was in Seattle. I don't know how popular they really are there. I don't know, I never ran into them in 7 years being out there. :shrug:

I lived around a decade in Seattle. I guarantee you can walk into literally any grocery store that has a deli with hot food, ask for a quarter pound of jojo's, and they will give you a parcel containing probably closer to a third of a pound of jojo's without batting an eye.

In fact I challenge anyone who doesn't recognize the term or thinks it's an obscure thing to try this. I'd bet money no one is ever going to ask a clarifying question about what you are ordering because it's common.

It's not a regional thing, and I know regional. Ordering a coke, getting asked what kind, and saying sprite was a normal exchange where I was born.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Big Beef City posted:

There's multiple people in this thread saying they've never seen or heard them called that, or only in various areas that they've been to.
That's the definition of 'regional', so you might want to strike that off your application.

Right and I'm saying to go test that it's uncommon in your area in the easiest to confirm of manners. You personally being clueless doesn't mean it's not a thing.

If you're so gosh darn confident go ahead and try it.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Like there's a goddamn goon in/from seattle that says he's never heard the term. There are literally online articles debating whether the jojo was invented in the pnw or the midwest. You call it evidence that a goon in WASHINGTON hasn't heard the term jojo before as evidence it must be regional. No I say, the goon just has apparently never been to a grocery store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Big Beef City posted:

Well, I've lived in this general area for the better part of 40 years and never seen that written or heard it spoken.

I don't need to go around asking various different people for the most stupidly named food of all time to know that they're not dumb enough to call it a mush-mouthed word that babies use while pointing at their open maws hoping someone shovels garbage into it. So no I won't be doing that, but thanks for the cool advice that I don't need and didn't ask for.

That's what I thought. Walk away coward.