Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Best Breakfast Potato Dish
Hash Browns
Home Fries
Skillet Potatoes or some other regional dish that no one has really heard of
View Results

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's hash browns close the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The Bloop posted:

Homefries is a crap shoot.

Sometimes it's more onions and peppers than potatoes. I didn't want peppers! I ordered potatoes!

That's potatoes O'Brien, jeez

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

dee eight posted:

i wonder what caliber tater tots are. i mean if they're close to .68 you could possibly shoot them out of a paintball gun

So a mini potato cannon

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Honestly who the gently caress is calling potato wedges 'JoJos' you sound legitimately mentally handicapped or like a two year old.

Fucks sake they're potato wedges.
And to get them not undercooked and so they're fluffy inside and crisp outside you boil them in salted water for about 3-4 minutes before roasting them. I'm sorry the complete mental giants that clearly raised you were incapable of either doing this herculean task or being able to explain it to someone who insisted on calling them 'JoJos' which sounds like you're simultaneously eating crayons while saying it

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Charles Bukowski posted:

Is that what a potato pancake is? I do those sometimes, lovely garlic mash patty with a crispy outer layer. Maybe it's more like a pan fried latke? The real ones are really fried and pretty greasy.

Potato pancakes swing pretty widely from 'leftover mashed potatoes mixed with egg to act as binder' all the way to what are essentially just shredded hash brown patties depending on on the who/what/where of them being made

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

If you shred them yourself, what I do is use a mandolin so it's faster and easier than a grater, and then salt them a little to start drawing the water out, then put them in a salad spinner and let rip on that bad boy.
Sucks all the water right out of them, you'd be surprised.
Then they fry up super crispy every time. Nice and easy.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I've seen people put the shredded hashbrowns in cheesecloth and twist until it wrings all the water out.

There is a LOT of water in those.

yeah I've done that but found that the salad spinner doesn't mush 'em, where the cheesecloth wringing can just get em all clumped up and sorta mashed. I mean, you're frying them anyway, but if you keep the shreds 'whole' instead of crushing them they keep shape better and seem to fry nicer. Plus you don't have to shake them and pick them out of the cloth which is sorta annoying.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

AKZ posted:

:dafuq:
idk man I usually see it at bbq spots and little non-chain fast food and we both live in the midwest, right?

you're just rubbing it in now and I refuse to acknowledge this as real or that this is happening to me

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

grellgraxer posted:

I have never once in my life heard of "JoJo's". poo poo sounds preposterous.

When this world falls away, you and I will stand. Together. With actual fried potato products.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

ArbitraryC posted:

It's not a regional thing, and I know regional.

There's multiple people in this thread saying they've never seen or heard them called that, or only in various areas that they've been to.
That's the definition of 'regional', so you might want to strike that off your application.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

ArbitraryC posted:

Right and I'm saying to go test that it's uncommon in your area in the easiest to confirm of manners. You personally being clueless doesn't mean it's not a thing.

If you're so gosh darn confident go ahead and try it.

Well, I've lived in this general area for the better part of 40 years and never seen that written or heard it spoken.

I don't need to go around asking various different people for the most stupidly named food of all time to know that they're not dumb enough to call it a mush-mouthed word that babies use while pointing at their open maws hoping someone shovels garbage into it. So no I won't be doing that, but thanks for the cool advice that I don't need and didn't ask for.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

ArbitraryC posted:

Like there's a goddamn goon in/from seattle that says he's never heard the term. There are literally online articles debating whether the jojo was invented in the pnw or the midwest. You call it evidence that a goon in WASHINGTON hasn't heard the term jojo before as evidence it must be regional. No I say, the goon just has apparently never been to a grocery store.

Possibly you should go to ones where the signs aren't just pictures and you hoot phonetically at the employees until they throw food at you to get you to leave.

Next time YOU go, point at them and just grunt and see if it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

CaptainSarcastic posted:

You're starting to sound kind of worked up. Relax, and accept you don't know every name for a potato product, regional or not.

You should live up to your user name

I was giving him poo poo and we were going back and forth. poo poo I was making fun of myself for it just up thread