Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What sort of adventure do I like anyway?
Alcoholic spree violance
Barbarians and breadbaskets
Calling people names, running.
Dirigible based piracy
Exit this poll
View Results

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Female, 390 year old, winged kobold. Wings, "PARKOUR!"

Male, 23 year old, merman

Brooklyn is the bad side of the cliff. The sahuagin live their lives in peace on thr shore and the reefs while the damned orcamen ran the mob in the red light cliffs on the edge of town. Gambling, prostitution, drugs, sentient meals: you name it, they had it. Bastards. What is a kobold to do except keep her head down and keep the reckless, starry eyed newbie alive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I like, but I'm keeping the vote up for more players to have a chance.

Next update in a few hours.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Surrounded by assholes

"Chief wanted me to find you" said Herman, the bright eyed rookie "He said you'd start breaking heads hoping for a clue"
"whatever gave you that impression" you reply sitting atop a pile of broken bar furniture and associated detritus.

loving Orca mob was supposed to keep their soldiers in check, just for Jimmy The Squid to go loud and shoot Bill in full view of everyone. Your point made at Jimmy's Tavern, you should pay Don Shellfish a visit anyway, see if he got any leads on a mob associate gone to the deep end.

Tossing the car keys to Herman, you pause to pick up your pistol from where you dropped it (unloaded) and challenged everyone in earshot. It's not a hand cannon like some cops prefer but it always served you well enough when the time for fists had come and gone.

"I'm sorry by the way" mutters the rookie "I've heard you and Bill Seamoss were friends"
" Friends huh! Kid, I grew up in these streets, ain't almost nobody I don't know personally for miles around. " "but yes, Bill was a friend. I had to break the news to his wife." And after some more silent driving you add " Jimmy though, him I never liked. If I'd have found him today I'd have made him beg for a quick death."
Herman visibly blanches a bit, refocusing on the road. Soon you've arrived at Don Shellfish's favourite restaurant.

:cop: "how do you want to play it sergeant?"

Suggested options:
.Treat the old man with respect
.Demand answers!
.Just go with the flow

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Respect don't cost nothing more than breath, and we got bigger fish to fry. Don Shellfish's time will come, just like the rest of them. Make with the honeyed words and get the answers we need.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

sorry folks no update yet, gotta go to work. later on I'll have something for you to bite your teeth into.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

We go in good cop bad cop. Ill be good cop and butter this lobster up. Don't come in until i give the signal rookie

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

"Regina!" Cries out Don Shellfish as he motions you to sit and join him for a drink "How dreadful it is that we meet only in such a tragic occasion".
You take a large gulp from your glass and regard the old man who has been a structural pillar of the community since you were a child, "Tragic is not how I would put it, but it's how Jimmy would once I catch up to him"
The Don frowns a bit "You of course know that this isn't how we do things in this town, and I would never do anything to Bill like this. I know his grandfather." " Jimmy has been acting up recently, trying to act like a big man. But still I never thought in a million years he'd go off the deep end"

"I know" you reply "And I also know that if you had Jimmy you'd have made an example out of him, something unmistakable"
Don Shellfish drains his glass "There's an order to these streets and no over-confident little Ink dealer will disrupt it" he says in an even and steely tone.
"Incidentally" you share "He didn't get called 'The Squid' for his Ink business, nor for his Ink habit and nor for any personality trait of his he may claim" pausing momentarily for effect you continue "we were kids playing the street one day and he suddenly started walking weird and headed straight home, turns out he shat himself." " when all his efforts to get rid of that name failed he started making up stories "
The Don accepts your tale with no sign of amusement "I have no guesses as to why he shot Bill, I can't help you in any way and I feel that you will not be satisfied leaving the matter to me"

"Then we are done here" you rise "give my regards to Vittorio, and keep in touch"

Leaving the restaurant, Herman seems full to bursting with questions but you hold out a hand "We've got more places to hit and people too, no time for mincing words"
"But Serge, you must have a hunch about whatever is going on" he begs in an almost childish way "you know what Jimmy wants"

Holding Herman and looking to his eyes for effect you speak " Listen kid: you shoot a cop like that in this city, the only thing you're looking forward to is death. What Jimmy wants is to go out with a bang, and an Ink fiend with nothing to lose is the most dangerous and unpredictable beast to hunt"
"you'd think a deranged individual high on Ink would be the easiest thing to follow right? Well Jimmy knows how to lay low and bully people to silence."

For now we're going to
(suggested options)

A. Jimmy's childhood home
B. His sister's nightclub
C. Dink's autoshop, maybe he needed some new wheels
D. Pay a visit to Bill's family
E. Join a police raid on a local criminal enterprise
Or something else?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Well that went nowhere, how about a game of Dungeon Urchins?

You can get the rules at the above link but I'll go over them as the game progresses.
Right now I need names for our four urchins, maybe a personality trait too.

Our team: (hit range on d6)(specials)
Lantern-Girl: hits on 1-3, illumination for two squares around
Shield-Boy: hits on 1-3, most health
Slingshot-Boy: hits on 1-2, can hit any lit square
Staff-Girl: hits on 1-4, double damage on 1

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

1st room up ahead:

Every character have to choose a square on rows E or F to begin on.

On B5 there's a pile of rubble which blocks movement, the Grue starts on B2

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Lantern-Girl: Jonikka. Absolutely adores insects, lantern has lightning bugs in it. E5

Shield-Boy: Isaac. Bit of a himbo, but geeks out over paleontology. E4

Slingshot-Boy: Hiroshi. Whittles for fun, including his slingshot. Claims his family has an original katana Date Masamune used (they don't). F5

Staff-Girl: Mariam. Lacrosse player, addicted to green tea. E6

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The Grue has moved.

Each character has two actions to make, either move 1 square NSEW or attack nearby square (slingshot can attack at distance)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently lit squares are rows D,E,F and C5

Grue: Gets two actions. Deals damage on 1-4. Has 3 HP

Jonikka: 3HP hits on 1-3, illumination for two squares around
Isaac: 5HP hits on 1-3, most health
Hiroshi: 3HP hits on 1-2, can hit any lit square
Mariam: 3HP hits on 1-4, double damage on 1
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

J: Oh poo poo I thought grues fear the light!
I: Sunlight definitely, no grue bones were ever found outside of a dungeon...
H: By my blessed ancestors!
M: You have no such thing, you come from a long line of town drunks in Shropshire!

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 5, 2022

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Slaan posted:

Lantern-Girl: Jonikka. Absolutely adores insects, lantern has lightning bugs in it. E5

Shield-Boy: Isaac. Bit of a himbo, but geeks out over paleontology. E4

Slingshot-Boy: Hiroshi. Whittles for fun, including his slingshot. Claims his family has an original katana Date Masamune used (they don't). F5

Staff-Girl: Mariam. Lacrosse player, addicted to green tea. E6

The intrepid heroes:

The danger:

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 5, 2022

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Jonikka: Move N once
Isaac: Stay put
Hiroshi: Move N twice
Mariam: Move N once

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

[] [] [] [] [] []
[] [] [] [] * []
[] [] [] []G M
* * * [] J []
* * * I H []
* * * [] [] []

Everyone except Isaac is in spot to attack twice!
M: 1 <Double damage!>
J: 6 <miss!>
H: 4 <miss!>
M: 3 <hit!>
J: 1 <hit!>
H: 2 <hit!>

Grue was dead at the 3 damage, Jonikka wipes the remains from her staff.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Next room contains scabrats which have 3 actions and a stationary arrow trap which shoots once per turn up to two squares away.
Plan accordingly! (both the scabrats and the trap have only 1HP each)

We're the rats!

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 5, 2022

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
I haven't read the rules but I noticed the site said to make our own, so

Everyone: Turn sideways. We're paper thin and the enemies won't be able to see us.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

For this bit of tactical brilliance im allowing the urchins to place themselves unseen in columns 8 and 9 before taking the first action!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

By popular demand posted:

After posting some quick micro CYOAs at the Paradise Falls thread* while Diogenes was unavailable I received up to one (1) request to do something longer, which I still intend to do but I'll start with a couple quick ones

*https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550307&userid=120436&perpage=40&pagenumber=42
-----------------------------------------

The offbeat wedding (survival horror)

The tedious mess of a wedding known as Katy and Dan's Special Non-Denominational All Vegan Fantasy Extravaganza just keeps going on and on: the food is bland, the drinks non-alchoholic and the constant readings from The Silmarillion would make Tolkien himself howl in anguish.

Obvious actions are:

Attempt small talk (who with?)
Burst into the dance floor
Consume foodstuffs
Dry (as in non-alchoholic) bar
Exit to DOS
------------------
>:ins:

I hate you and everything you stand for

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

J B8
B A8
H B9
M C9

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I hate you and everything you stand for

Mean.

What way does the trap shoot? I was gonna say some numbers that are different from Slaan's but I think he actually knows what they mean so go with them.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I do not :v:

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Oh no

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

[] [] []
[] [] []
[] [] []
[]R3 []
[] T []
[] [] []
[]R2 []
I J R1
[]H M

SNEAK ATTACK
M: 2,4 <hit> R1 goes down
J: 5,5 <miss>
H: 6,5 <miss>
I: advance, 1 <hit> R2 goes down
R3: 3 moves
Trap is out of range!

[] [] []
[] [] []
[] [] []
[] [] []
[] T []
[] [] R3
I [] []
[] J []
[]HM

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Jonikka pass the lantern to Hiroshi who should slingshot it into the bundle of sticks to light a fire that will scare the Grue away!