Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

"Bring me your sweetened, your mixed, your chilled bases yearning to churn-freeze, the scoopable treat of your teeming freezer drawer" - George Washington, 1776

I made that up, but it absolutely could have been true:

The Infallible Internet posted:

George Washington procured fancy equipment including 36 “ice pots” – small cups used for holding what was, back then, more liquidy than today’s ice cream – for his Mount Vernon estate, and reportedly spent $200 (the equivalent of $5,000 today) on ice cream in a single summer.

It's taken over 1500 years since ice cream was created in China, but finally GWS has an Ice Cream Thread. Please ignore any slanderous hearsay that other threads came before this one.

Recipes and books - I will add the thread's contributions here!

Styles: what is Ice Cream? In order of decreasing fat content:
  • Semifreddo: you make a mousse, then you freeze it. No machine required! Decadent. Typically one of only two on this list with egg, along custard.
  • Ice Cream: there's a whole spectrum of added fat and air (overrun) that, unless you're the FDA, it might not make sense to split hairs on definitions. A lot of "premium" ice creams just have less overrun (30-50%) but this could refer to almost anything on this list.
  • Frozen Custard AKA french-style or parfait: add egg, less fat. Eggs mute other flavors but make for a decadent texture. Typically one of only two on this list with egg, along semifreddo.
  • New England Style: Chewy, stretchy, like you'd find at Cold Stone Creamery. Thanks for the contribution Anne Whateley!
  • Philadelphia Style AKA American Style: no egg, 10%+ butterfat, medium to high overrun (40-70%).
  • Gelato: Low butterfat, low overrun (less than 30% so: dense), served warmer than ice cream. As a result of all 3, flavors are more intense.
  • Soft Serve: churned and served at a warmer temperature, so it's softer! Typically less fat too. 10-20% overrun.
  • Frozen Yogurt: same as soft serve but with a yogurt base and usually less overrun.
  • Ice Milk: 3.5% butterfat, high 70-100% overrun. More refreshing than decadent.
  • Sherbet: 1-2% butterfat, 20% overrun.
  • Sorbet and granita: 0% fat, almost 0 overrun. Granita has much larger ice crystals, which can be interesting, and can be made without a machine, though you need to stir every now and then over several hours. If you have a refractometer, "around 27°-30° or so for sweet sorbet, 17°-21° or so for savory" says Mintymenman
Please help me expand the above, especially wrt other styles around the world!

Equipment:
You can make amazing ice cream with any equipment you want, though spending more can buy you convenience, some ingredient flexibility, and texture advantages. Sorted price ascending:
  • $0: Two ziploc bag method. Tons of fun for kids! Get good bags to avoid salt intrusion.
  • $10: goodwill / garage sale find
  • $30: Old-style canister-in-bucket, ice + salt chilled: big capacity, no need to plan ahead, good control over overrun / texture. Large storage space needed. Needs a moderate amount of ice, so buyer beware if you don't have an ice maker.
  • $60: 1.5 pint thermoelectric seems to have the pros of the "Compressor models" below but with a smaller capacity and device footprint to boot. I believe it uses a peltier cooler which should be more reliable long-term than a compressor, as long as the hot side gets adequate cooling (don't block the vents!). Also available for $50 "renewed" though sometimes this is missing key parts, caveat emptor!. Thanks for the contribution Anne Whateley!
  • $70: Freeze This Bucket First: Kind of the worst one, tbh. Will make delicious ice cream but the bucket must be frozen 24 hours before use, so you need to leave it in your freezer year-round to do an impromptu batch. Only one batch per day. And if your base isn't chilled down to almost frozen before you start, you may end up with cold cream soup. That said, if you already own it and you can follow above caveats, it will still make better ice cream than you can easily buy!
  • $200: Ninja Creami: the newest thing. Mimics the $6,000 PacoJet restaurant industry standard. Freeze your base solid, then churn in 90 seconds, though a 2nd churn is usually needed too. Need to plan ahead 12hrs+ is a bummer, but makes fantastic, foolproof texture. Can also do mix-ins, though they become small crumbs/shards not chunks. You can do as many batches back-to-back as you have pint containers. Since making the base is the longest process, you can double or triple recipes and have as many on hand as you like! Lots of goons picked this up on $150 special from Kohl's.
  • $240ish: Compressor models chill and churn at the same time, so it is the most convenient for "make base today, churn today" along with ziplock & canister-in-bucket. Usually takes 45 - 60 min to go from cool base to ready ice cream. Compressors are complex, so do research on reliability before you pick a brand.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

This post is for experiment results, preferably as close to scientific as you can get. Some tips:
  • Make batches identical as possible except for the variable you're testing
  • Many experiments can be "split batch" where you make the base, divide in 2, and tweak one by adding an ingredient or processing differently.
  • The best way to test without bias or preconceived notions is to do a double-blind triangle test. I've made a video on how best to do this, which can be made easier if you have a 2nd person to randomize for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIQ9IFVw7kU

The Experiments
  • Vanilla custard base*, Creami, "Ice Cream" vs "Gelato" setting: Gelato wins, creamier with less iciness
  • Vanilla custard base*, Creami vs store-churned: Creami wins. Probably less overrun added.
  • Dark Chocolate gelato base, Creami, alcohol vs none: no difference, won't fiddle with it for this recipe again
  • Dark Chocolate gelato base, Creami, 7 hour freeze vs 24 hour: No preference but definitely different, both needed re-spinning day 2 to avoid iciness from refreezing. 7 hour was 20°F before spinning and reminded me a lot of the pudding-like texture of fudgsicles, 24 hour was 0°F and was normal gelato texture.
  • Vanilla custard base, Creami, "all cream" vs "half milk half cream": Half and half wins.
  • Four-corner vanilla test: churned v creamied and custard v philly by Test Pattern: Freshly churned/spun, "churned Philly" won. After firming in freezer, 3/4 preferred "creami custard".
  • Followup also by Test Pattern: mixing each base, spun in Creami, was best overall. 1-2 yolks per pint. Zorak of Michigan
    also says 2 yolks per 1.5 pint.
  • Chocolate custard base, Creami vs. "Freeze this bowl" style: Creami wins freshly spun but equivalent after firming in freezer (could not discern in blind triangle test)

I used 12 ounces of heavy cream, 3 ounces of egg yolks and 3 ounces of sugar. Plus a teaspoon of vanilla and a pinch of salt. Made the normal way: scald cream and half the sugar, tempter into yolks beaten with other half of the sugar, then cook and stir to a nappe consistency. Which gave me almost exactly 16 ounces of anglaise.

6 oz milk (I use 2% cause that’s I had)
6 oz heavy cream
3 Egg yolks
3 oz sugar
pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla

* for my first 2 tests I used Trader Joe's vanilla ice cream, melted, frozen, spun in Creami. This was a quick & dirty way to get 100% consistent starting points, but a homemade recipe won't always have the same stabilizers so the result might not extrapolate. There was also likely some amount of air still in the base after melting.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 14, 2022

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Recipe: Double Chocolate Gelato, modified from Gelato Obsession
Yield: 1 pint, roughly 500g
Notes: assumes 86% cacao, see page 1 in PDF if different
  • 42g dextrose, 48g light brown sugar, 1g salt, 0.5g locust bean gum (LBG), 0.5g xanthan gum (XG)
  • Combine dry ingredients
  • 300g whole milk, 7g brown rice syrup, 1.5g lecithin
  • Mix milk, molasses, and lecithin in double boiler until 104°F. Slowly whisk in dry ingredients. Bring to 185°F
  • 88g dark chocolate, chopped, 1g instant espresso
  • Stir into 185°F mixture and take off heat. Let melt 1 minute, then blend with immersion blender.
  • Cool in ice bath until 77°F or cooler. Blend one more time. If traditional maker, refrigerate mixture 12-24 hours, then place in freezer until 32°F, then churn. If CREAMi / pacojet, freeze 12-24 hours, spin and serve!
The above is my current favorite version. I cut the salt way down from the book, removed the spirits, and added instant espresso and it's much better. Next I will try it without the gums, since Mrs. Boitano says there is an off flavor in there that I can't detect myself. I use the Lindt 86% bar for now.

Recipe: Earl Grey Ice Cream, from this post
Yield: 1 pint, roughly 500g
Notes: OP adjusted Salt and Straw's base recipe but upped the milk to 2:1 milk to cream instead of 1:1
67g granulated sugar
11g (4 tsp) dry milk powder
0.4g (Scant 1/4 teaspoon) xanthan gum
23g (4 tsp) light corn syrup
280g whole milk
140g heavy cream
3 tea bags Earl Grey

Steep tea in the milk over a low heat (less than 140°F) until the "tea" is as strong as you want, then combine with the rest of the ingredients, whisk thoroughly and process per your machine.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I did my first experiment with making frozen custard in the creami. End result was way too rich (mostly too much fat, but a little bit too much egg) but it gives me a starting point. I used the traditional 4:1:1 ratio of milk(cream in this case) to egg(yolks for this) to sugar.

I used 12 ounces of heavy cream, 3 ounces of egg yolks and 3 ounces of sugar. Plus a teaspoon of vanilla and a pinch of salt. Made the normal way: scald cream and half the sugar, tempter into yolks beaten with other half of the sugar, then cook and stir to a nappe consistency. Which gave me almost exactly 16 ounces of anglaise.

The creamified result was really interesting. For one, it was insanely smooth. I don’t think I’ve ever eaten a frozen treat with a texture this smooth. It was also very rich, probably too rich. I think it would be good as part of a bigger dessert, but as a stand-alone treat it may be too much. The egg content may be too high, and the fat content almost definitely is. But I’m not going to say I didn’t enjoy it. But I would recommend it in small amounts. It seems indulgent.

I'm going to do half cream and half milk next and cut the eggs down to maybe 2 ounces. Sweetness seemed fine. I will say my creami made a hell of a noise with this, I think it may have frozen harder than most mixes. Hopefully that doesn't shorten the life of it too much.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Great! Did you try re-spinning? I've done that each time my pint looks separated like that, with a creamy bit and an icy bit.

I also saw someone on YouTube who ran a knife around the outside between spins since the blade can't get the very last few mm of radius. Haven't felt the need but might try it if I remember.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BrianBoitano posted:

Great! Did you try re-spinning? I've done that each time my pint looks separated like that, with a creamy bit and an icy bit.

I also saw someone on YouTube who ran a knife around the outside between spins since the blade can't get the very last few mm of radius. Haven't felt the need but might try it if I remember.

Yeah that top part is what I swirled together with a spoon. So even though the stuff below looked weird, one quick stir and it was fine with no need for a respin.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Hola thread, creami convert here

I've noticed that even "crumbly" textures with the creami seem to be just fine if you let them soften for a minute or two and then stir manually with a spoon or something.

One of my coworkers who's had lots of experience with a pacojet recommended The Perfect Scoop and so far everything I've made from it has been pretty good

I've noticed that with the denser mixtures (like custard) you can get this problem where part of the mixture balls up and rides around the top of the blades as they hit the bottom and then come back up. It doesn't seem to be a huge issue as long as you mix it back in afterwards but it does look weird.

Another problem I've gotten is that with stuff that's an emulsification (like a lemon sherbet) or has particles in it (like vanilla ice cream) the emulsification can separate and the particles can settle during the freeze stage. I got around that by taking it out and mixing it up manually when it was a few hours in, but I was curious if anyone else had experienced similar things with their recipes.

e: oh yeah and be careful when doing multiple re-mixes/mix-ins if you're adjusting for flavor or something. I was experimenting adding more and more lemon juice into my sherbet and I think I ended up churning it so much that some of it turned to butter.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

What does "overrun" mean in this context?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shooting Blanks posted:

What does "overrun" mean in this context?

It’s the amount of air churned into the ice cream. Cheaper ice creams have a lot of air that you pay for when buying a pint. But it can also help the perceived smoothness of the product.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Tragically my notes are physical and aren't where I am :negative:

To the list of styles, I would add the super chewy kind like Cold Stone, which I think was originally New England style.

For the list of makers, I strongly recommend this Cooks Essentials 1.5-pint thermoelectric maker. It's self-freezing, no canister to chill in advance, and by far the very cheapest self-freezing. The downside is the smaller capacity, but that works well for one or two people. Since it's self-freezing, you can also do back-to-back batches if you want larger amounts. The only actual downside is it doesn't have a hole or chute for mix-ins while running, so no stracciatella.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 26, 2022

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Has anyone gotten/for anyone know about this thing where there's a non-melty, almost crumbly sort of residue left on the spoon? I've only gotten it once and I suspect it may be butter from me over churning the ice cream from re-mixing it a couple of times in rapid succession, but I thought I'd ask.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Updated the OP with all the contributions so far, thanks y'all! Really interested in the thermoelectric maker, Anne Whateley! I know what I'll keep an eye out for at garage sales.

AnonSpore posted:

Has anyone gotten/for anyone know about this thing where there's a non-melty, almost crumbly sort of residue left on the spoon? I've only gotten it once and I suspect it may be butter from me over churning the ice cream from re-mixing it a couple of times in rapid succession, but I thought I'd ask.

I haven't had that issue yet, though the roughest treatment I've done so far is melt storebought custard → gelato → respin → freeze → gelato again and no trace of butter yet

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021
Another useful tool if you're interested in making sorbet is a Brix refractometer . It's made it so that I can reliably make a hard setting sorbet. Since sorbet usually relies on sugar content only for consistency, if you're using fruit juice (especially citrus) having a way to dial in sugar percentage is super important. Incidentally, almost any liquid can become a sorbet, if you're brave enough.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is that Canadian kid still on these forums? Ho owned a pacojet and was some sort of sorbet wizard. Can't remember his name.

Edit: Aaaaaand bought a refractometer. Seems like these things turn on easy mode for sorbets. Is there a standard sugar percentage you aim for?

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 26, 2022

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Is there any documentation/testing on what the difference between the settings (ice cream, gelato, sorbet, etc) actually is?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

On a real pacojet it varies the amount of air released from the container as its processed. The newer ones have programs like the Creami the original ones just have a button to push to release the pressure manually.

I made a sourdough starter sorbet in a kitchen one time. I liked it and some of the other cooks liked it but the chef hated it so that was that.

Popcorn ice cream was the first recipe I made in the creami when I got it.

Use your favorite base and puree popped popcorn into it.

It will be summer soon that means sweet corn ice cream.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Thumposaurus posted:

On a real pacojet it varies the amount of air released from the container as its processed. The newer ones have programs like the Creami the original ones just have a button to push to release the pressure manually.

I made a sourdough starter sorbet in a kitchen one time. I liked it and some of the other cooks liked it but the chef hated it so that was that.

Popcorn ice cream was the first recipe I made in the creami when I got it.

Use your favorite base and puree popped popcorn into it.

It will be summer soon that means sweet corn ice cream.

I have a compressor machine rather than a creami but dang I'm going to try to figure out a popcorn ice cream recipe now because that sounds great

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Make popcorn however you usually do it then steep it in the milk you'll use, blend it, strain it make your base taste it and adjust the salt to whatever level you like.

I've done it with kettle corn, movie theater style butter microwave stuff, and just regular popped in a stove top whirly popper and it's always great.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Is that Canadian kid still on these forums? Ho owned a pacojet and was some sort of sorbet wizard. Can't remember his name.

Edit: Aaaaaand bought a refractometer. Seems like these things turn on easy mode for sorbets. Is there a standard sugar percentage you aim for?
I shoot for about 27°-30° or so for sweet sorbet, 17°-21° or so for savory. I also keep malic, fumaric, and citric acid on hand to adjust acidity without adding liquid.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021
Also, David Leibowitz is a great resource for all things ice cream. His grapefruit campari sorbet is in my regular winter rotation.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Have people tried the can o peaches and that's all? Like in the preview photos.

Costco has a sale on it and I'm real tempted, but I usually only have milk or cream leftover and not both

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Not that, but I did 2 bananas + cover with mango nectar and it's wonderful.

I'm testing their "lite" chocolate today / tomorrow because I have an odd compulsion to test brand recommended recipes juuuust in case they actually work, and because my sister is vegan so it'd be nice in my back pocket.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Costco has a sale on it and I'm real tempted, but I usually only have milk or cream leftover and not both

like a lot of things so far with the Creami, it ends up with a perfectly nice texture. but the super one-dimensional canned flavor is not interesting to eat

if you pour the syrup out and add a little additional sugar/acid/flavor (i've just eyeballed), then fill the remainder with cream, it comes out really quite nice. i did 1 can of peaches + a couple spoons of peach jam + sugar, citric acid, salt > filled with enough cream to make 2 pints and it had a great texture and a really bright, juicy flavor.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just mixed up the next custard test. Half cream, half milk, and about a third less egg yolk. I’ll know tomorrow how this creamifies.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Is there a reason that the instructions are so adamant about the containers being perfectly level when frozen? As far as I can tell nothing needs to be leveled out when re-mixing or mixing in addons, so maybe it's just a matter of the first initial mix with the frozen hard base?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I think you're right, and solid ice has greater resistance than whatever you're re-spinning. So if it's not level then that resistance will be asymmetric which might bend the shaft out of true.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

More on this, I suspect what was going on was that my additive (lemon juice) curdled my base and then even though I blended it with an immersion blender to re-emulsify, it separated again while in the freezer and then when I mixed it up the separated milk fat got churned into butter. So be careful if you're working with acidic ingredients, I suppose.

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

Is there any documentation/testing on what the difference between the settings (ice cream, gelato, sorbet, etc) actually is?

Real curious about this myself... for the ice creams I've made so far, 100% of them have required a re-spin. I made orange vanilla base for this weekend, spun it as a sorbet and it came out very very soft, more like a milkshake, after just one spin.

In hindsight I probably should've spun it as an ice cream, but I'm not clear on what the Creami is actually doing differently. Does the sorbet setting spin faster/longer?

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

We tried it with a can of pineapple chunks (in juice) and the texture was lovely but the flavor was meh. Understanding sweetness in frozen applications is all part of the learning curve I think...

We did a second attempt with a can of pears (in heavy syrup, not juice) with a couple of drops of citric acid and that was much tastier.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I did experiment two with my custard base and it’s exactly what I was looking for. Made a hell of racket spinning once again, but didn’t need a respin and was pretty great taste and texture wise. I ended up a mixing in heath bar bits which was really tasty, though it was more like soft serve after the mixin cycle. There was zero fat smearing in the finished product. But this will be my go to custard base. Recipe below, makes 16 ounces.

Ice Cream Custard Base For Creami

Ingredients:
6 oz milk (I use 2% cause that’s I had)
6 oz heavy cream
3 Egg yolks
3 oz sugar
pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:
Whisk half sugar with rgg yolks. Scald other half with milk and cream and salt. Temper. Heat to nappe. Strain and add vanilla and freeze.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 28, 2022

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

How do yall deal with sediment like vanilla seed settling on the bottom as the mixture freezes instead of being mixed evenly through?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Probably PretentiousFood from the old Gelato thread :)

Unrelated: did the Creami recipe book "lite" chocolate. Not too bad, my wife likes it better than the dark chocolate gelato in the OP. The usual weirdness of alcohol sugars for me is that they cool on the tongue, which makes cookies very weird but is hidden in ice cream. The respun texture is good, but the coconut cream is too waxy on my tongue. I think I'll try next time with coconut milk instead (which is 50% cheaper so that's nice). Still, a really good option so far if you have a vegan & low sugar guest.

1 spin:

respin:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
As poo poo time to dig up some insane old recipes

mystes
May 31, 2006

I wanted peanut butter ice cream all of a sudden today so I blended eyeballed amounts of milk, cream, sugar, peanut butter, and a couple raw egg yolks, dumped it in my compressor ice cream maker, hit start, and had pretty good ice cream 30-40 minutes later.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I ordered a creami from costco which should arrive Friday.

idk if I've made a huge mistake.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Used the milkshake function of the creami today with store bought ice cream. Will do it again, too. Good shake, and cleanup is easier than a blender.

Cheddar Goldfish
Jun 27, 2005
are damn delicious
What's the best widely available grocery store ice cream brand? I think Umpqua beats out the competition, even the fancy poo poo like Ben & Jerry's. Might be a west coast thing only though.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Not a grocery store, but the 7-11 brand ice cream is way better than anyone would expect it to be.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I've never seen Umpqua on the east coast. If you're in Kroger territory, their store-brand Private Selection is amazing. Here in the northeast, I have to vote for Ben & Jerry's, partly because of my love for mix-ins. Is Ample Hills nationwide in grocery stores?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I'm pretty sure Tillamook is not available on the east coast, but it's Tillamook 100%.