Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

wizardofloneliness posted:

I'm pretty sure Tillamook is not available on the east coast, but it's Tillamook 100%.

i'm mad i can't find the seasalt honeycomb tillamook anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

We can get Tillamook here in Maryland.
My local organic store used to carry a great house brand ice cream but they haven't had it in a long time.

I've got tons of fresh mint in my garden time to make some mint ice cream.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I was underwhelmed by the Tillamook we tried. Think it was buttered pecan.

Jeni’s is our latest indulgence. Only issue is pints costs 80% more than our local grocery store brand and we have to go out of the way to Whole Foods.

As a Texan I suppose I should say Blue Bell reigns supreme.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Jeni’s is probably the most premium ice cream around here. Really good but really expensive. Which is ok since most of their flavor combinations don’t click with me.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
As promised, I am conducting a four-corner vanilla test: churned v creamied and custard v philly.

For my Philly-style base, I am using https://www.seriouseats.com/30-minute-philadelphia-style-ice-cream-recipe, the only sub being replacing the scotch with extract equalize the flavors.

For my custard base, I'm using Bravetart's Double-Vanilla base (in her book, copied here https://fudgingahead.wordpress.com/2020/02/05/bravetarts-double-vanilla-ice-cream/), only sub being omitting the vanilla bean and only using extract, again to equalize flavors.

The first issue is that the bases are wildly different colors. The Philly base is a nice clean white, and the custard base is a french-vanilla yellow, having nine egg yolks in it. As a result, we aren't going to be blinding, and will just be tasting everything open.

After chilling, freezing, churning, and spinning, we tasted each pint fresh, after an hour back in the freezer to set to scoopable, and after an overnight rest to get as firm as they'll get. And the results are fascinating.

First, some images. The unturned bases are boring, so no photos, but here are all of them after the hour in the fridge and scooped:

Philly, churned on left, Creami on right

Custard, again churned on left, Creami on right

Scooped Philly

Scooped custard

Fresh from the machines, the rankings were:
Philly churned
custard churned
Creami custard
Creami Philly

Comments were that the custard were both too sweet, the Philly was "chalky but in a good way," and the Creami's were closer to cold pudding than ice cream.

After an hour setting in the freezer, the rankings had changed. Our panel split: 2/3 ranked the Creami custard over the churned custard; everyone ranked the churned Philly over the Creami Philly, and we were all different over custard vs Philly in general. One said the Custard was still too sweet, the other preferred its texture, and the last (me) refused to compare them -- having set they were so different as to be not usefully comparable. The custard was richer, the Philly more refreshing and milky.

After the overnight cure, I think I like the custard better, and I definitely think the Creamis are both better than the churned. I think it's possible that the Creamis would have benefited from being a bit colder before processing, but 9F has been fine for sorbets and other ice creams -- it's possile that traditional ice creams are better just a couple more degrees down?

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

wizardofloneliness posted:

I'm pretty sure Tillamook is not available on the east coast, but it's Tillamook 100%.

I've definitely noticed Tillamook around Philadelphia. I'll have to pick some up next time I see it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8IpPEkkmqA

Anyone wanna give this a try? I would but I'm (irrationally, I know) kinda scared at the thought of cold sweet fatty fish sauce

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

Anyone wanna give this a try? I would but I'm (irrationally, I know) kinda scared at the thought of cold sweet fatty fish sauce

Just sent this to my girlfriend and she says she’s down to try it so I will give it a go

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe
Whats the best was to respin something in the Cremi if its super hard after sitting in the freezer for a few days? Should I run it through a normal cycle, or respin? I'm concerned about running the normal cycle since its not even close to level anymore.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The manual says normal cycle. Respin is only for right after a spin.

Edit: don’t know what to do about the un levelness of it. I always make sure to smooth it out before I put it back in the freezer.

I have found that my frozen custard recipe doesn’t require re spinning after freezing though.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Sportman posted:

Whats the best was to respin something in the Cremi if its super hard after sitting in the freezer for a few days? Should I run it through a normal cycle, or respin? I'm concerned about running the normal cycle since its not even close to level anymore.

iirc the manual says to manually flatten it with the back of the spoon before putting it back in the freezer for just this situation, so maybe melt, refreeze, and spin again as if going for the first time?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

AnonSpore posted:

I've done this before. Fish sauce in caramel ice cream is legit and amazing.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The manual says normal cycle. Respin is only for right after a spin.

Edit: don’t know what to do about the un levelness of it. I always make sure to smooth it out before I put it back in the freezer.

I have found that my frozen custard recipe doesn’t require re spinning after freezing though.

I'll have to be better about smoothing it out. My normal base has been fine, but I have been playing with low cal / low fat "healthy" type stuff. I made some unsweetened almond milk "ice cream" with monk fruit sweetener, and the texture was amazing right out of the Cremi (+1 respin)...2 days later, not so much. I'm going to just let it melt and respin it and see how it goes.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also, a little trick I've found to keep from having to smooth it out before you put it in the freezer is to just eat the whole pint.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Also, a little trick I've found to keep from having to smooth it out before you put it in the freezer is to just eat the whole pint.

This is why I haven't had this problem before, but since I've been messing around with recipies I've been making more than 1 batch at a time to test out.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Good to hear Tillamook is available on the east coast now. I didn't encounter it until I moved to WA state. I like Ben & Jerry's and Van Leeuwen too, but they're also like five times more expensive.

I'm really regretting getting rid of my old Cuisinart ice cream maker now, it was a lot of fun making weird stuff. I liked fennel ice cream a lot, it's a nice subtle flavor.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Update! Had about a quarter pint left of each base that had frozen badly so I melted them, mixed them, and creamerized it. Result: better than either. I think the answer is to make a lower-egg custard than traditional, probably 1-2 yolks per pint.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My compressor machine makes a pint and a half per batch. I started with Alton Brown's recipe, which would require 6 yolks for this batch size, and then used one less each time I made it. My optimal number was two. One yolk gave a texture that was thinner and icier than I liked for chocolate.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Well just made my first batch of French vanilla and hopefully didn't gently caress it hard since I did a 3 pint batch.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I made dulce de leche ice cream and baked the cake to assemble this ice cream cake tomorrow: https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/ice-cream-loaf-cake/

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Test Pattern posted:

Update! Had about a quarter pint left of each base that had frozen badly so I melted them, mixed them, and creamerized it. Result: better than either. I think the answer is to make a lower-egg custard than traditional, probably 1-2 yolks per pint.

Hell yeah, added this to the 2nd post experiments list :science:

Used your results and my tendency towards 1:2 cream to milk to adjust "Chocolate Ice Cream" from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz:

125g heavy cream, 1.5 Tbsp (10g) Dutch cocoa powder, 70g (2.5 oz) chocolate bar
Chop chocolate with serrated knife. Heat cream with cocoa powder, whisking or blending to dissolve cocoa. Bring to boil then reduce to simmer while stirring for 30 seconds. Take off heat, stir in chopped chocolate, then pour into a large bowl. Place a mesh strainer on top.

250g whole milk, 75g sugar, pinch of salt, 2 extra large egg yolks, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Warm milk, sugar, and salt in same saucepan. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks. Slowly pour warm milk into yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape back into saucepan. Stir constantly over medium heat, scraping the bottom, until it coats the spatula, 170°F. Pour the custard through the strainer and into the chocolate until smooth, then stir in the vanilla.

:siren: Split dat base :siren:

Half gets frozen solid 24h at 0°F and the other fridged to 32°F, then freezer for an hour, then put into our old Cuisinart "freeze da bowl" churner.

Results:
  • Right out of the churn, not blinded, I preferred the Creami
  • Firmed 1 hour in the freezer, blinded triangle test, my wife and I could not tell a difference! Good to know!
  • We both liked this over all prior chocolate bases.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I have a question related to frozen yoghurt: I'm a bit of a novice so I'm not really sure if this is just 'normal' or not:

- I'm using a compressor based machine.
- I'm making a pint using full-fat greek yoghurt, with about a 8:1 ratio of yoghurt to sugar

When it comes straight out of the machine after 40 minutes, (essentially when the churning motor starts to struggle), it's absolutely beautiful. Dense, creamy, incredibly smooth texture and a lovely tart yoghurt flavour. My problem is that it doesn't stay that way when I store it. I'm keeping it in a chest freezer at -18C and the next day it has separated into ice crystals and fine grains of fat. The texture sucks and the flavour is not as rich.

Is this normal? Is there something I should be doing to stabilise the mixture somehow to keep it smooth when stored? I was thinking of adding a bit of raw egg white like I do when making sorbets but I'm not sure if that will work or if there's something else I'm missing.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Most recipes call for 4:1 yogurt to sugar, so double the amount you have. Since sugar is antifreeze, you have a higher chance of refreeze issues and you're using a colder than normal freezer.

There was at least one recipe I found with your ratio of sugar, so I'd either try the normal freezer or add more antifreeze, in the form of sugar or booze. Pure alcohol is around 8x more antifreeze ability as table sugar so for a pint of yogurt you could do 1/2 cup sugar or your usual 1/4 cup sugar with 1/4 cup dry white wine, since wine is about 1/8 ethanol. Instead you could do 1 Tbsp of something 80 proof.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Would lecithin help as an emulsifier? It sounds like it’s breaking.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Thanks both. I'm definitely light on the sugar from most of the recipes I've seen out there, but more than that starts to taste too much like candy. Booze is a good idea. It's definitely breaking but I couldn't figure out why it comes out of the maker fine and then breaks overnight.

Elsewhere it is recommended to try pectin, xanthan gum, or gelatin to keep it from separating so I might have to do some experimenting with those and lecithin

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I feel like lecithin has less of an impact on texture than the other options. Xanthan gum in particular has a specific texture that I find off putting. But I think it’s what’s used for chewy ice creams like coldstone. So if that’s your jam, then maybe try that first.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021
One thing I do with any frozen yogurt I want to keep tart is to sweeten as needed for texture, then bring back the acidity with powdered buttermilk.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

FYI, 3 days later and both are not super scoopable out of the fridge, you can if you're determined but better to temper 10 minutes in the fridge. Good to know there's no clear edge straight out the freezer, but the ability to spin again made the Creami pint much better overall if you ever have leftovers.

The gelato that's formulated to be scoopable at freezer temps is definitely scoopable, I may try and Frankenstein the recipes to get the flavor of Lebovitz but the scoopability of Gelato Obsession.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 16, 2022

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo I just remembered I bought the sugar measuring device and haven’t put it to use yet. What’s a good starter sorbet recipe that I can dial in with that?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
We got a hive mind consensus on scoops?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Learn to quenelle and any spoon is a scoop.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Thumposaurus posted:

Learn to quenelle and any spoon is a scoop.
This solution has a very low spouse acceptance factor.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I like my Oxo scoop. It works even on hard-frozen ice cream, and it's dishwasher safe.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

#40 spring scoop 90% of the time, #20 if you want those big ol scoops for a cone or some such. Mine are Oxo but I didn't shop around so no idea comparisons.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Which OXO? This is the first page of amazon results for "OXO ice cream scoop", filtering out the non-OXO results.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

For me, the very last one. Visible spring, plain rack and pinion.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Just to make things confusing, I like either the Zeroll or the GoodCook Twister that looks like a ritual sacrifice tool

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Tired of fighting to cut out your struggling captives' hearts? You got this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BrianBoitano posted:

For me, the very last one. Visible spring, plain rack and pinion.

I had an OXO scoop like that and the scraper part couldn’t stand up to hard ice cream or chilled cookie dough. Kept slipping the gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

SubG posted:

Which OXO? This is the first page of amazon results for "OXO ice cream scoop", filtering out the non-OXO results.

Get them all and stick them on a magnetic knife strip