Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Two episodes in and I hope Angela somehow dies by Vecna's hand. The most over-the-top 80s bully I've seen in quite some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyler Whitney
Jan 21, 2020

Why don't you make it sing?

OldSenileGuy posted:

^^^^^^ This (Tyler Whitney's post) may all turn out to be varying levels of true! I just hate it and hate the direction the show has taken!

For the first 3 seasons, the Upside Down was this mysterious other realm that we aren't meant to access or know about, but due to man's meddling with science, we created people that had powers and could access the demon world and Evil Creatures started coming across and loving everything up. That's fun and mysterious and very X-Files! But now we learn, no it's just some kid that randomly was born with these powers (?) that started accessing the Upside Down, and the government kidnapped him and used him to make the other children, before they put an inhibitor chip (???) in his neck? It's a twist that turns everything we think we knew upside down (lol), but it's not a good one.

A few more random thoughts and complaints:

I think at the end of season 3, the consensus theorized answer to the question of "how did Hopper survive the explosion of the machine?" was "he escaped into the Upside Down!" That was a fun answer and opened up a bunch more questions of "how did the Russians retrieve him from the Upside Down?" "how long was he stuck in there?" etc. That sounds like a fun plotline to explore! But no, the actual answer is that the explosion just knocked Hopper off the catwalk and onto the ground (despite the fact that it vaporized the other people in that room), and when Joyce went into the room to look for his body, she just didn't look over the railing down to see where he fell? And then the Russians were able to come in and remove him from the facility, despite the fact that by this point, the facility was crawling with US Military?? What's the saying? Something about how the audience will accept the impossible but not the improbable?

The Hopper stuff is all so ridiculous, that for the first couple episodes, I was expecting a twist where the Russian Prison actually was in the Upside Down, with the joke being that Russia sucks so much that Hopper was unable to tell the difference.

And why did the Russians keep Hopper alive after an extremely unlikely escape attempt which ended with the deaths of several Russian soldiers? I kept waiting for some payoff on the "Hopper in Russia" storyline, thinking there MUST be some reason they're keeping him alive, probably related to his knowledge of the Upside Down and their continuing research. But nope. They just kept him alive to do prisoner labor on a railroad and then eventually get fed to a Demogorgon.

I'd argue the show is definitely much more like Fringe, in that yes there's weird poo poo going down but almost all of it can be tied directly to Walter Bishop cracking the universe like an egg and two decades and two universes worth of efforts going into trying to fix it.

also re: Hopper, my guess is
The residual energy from the shut down dumped Hopper and all the Soviets near him into the (failed) Soviet facility, which is set up similarly, thereby negating the need to do anything other than arrest the guy who mysteriously appeared, which is why they're torturing him at one facility then moving him to Kamchatka. If he's coming from the US, why not immediately take him to Kamchatka to be interrogated and then executed?

Tyler Whitney fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 28, 2022

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Also, correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't watched S1 or S2 in a while, but wasn't going into the Upside Down portrayed as a toxic, corrosive experience in those seasons? I remember any science guys that did it wore full haz-mat suits, and I have a vague memory of Hopper and Joyce going in (to look for Will?) and coming out all out of breath and hosed up and whatnot. But now the Steve and Robin gang are full-on exploring the Upside Down like it's nothing? Again, to be fair, the "Steve fucks up a demon bat" scene WAS cool, but this is something that was nagging at the back of my head all during those scenes.

Will spent the entire first season in the Upside Down, remember? The environment is implied to be unhealthy, but not so much that you can't spend several weeks in there with no apparent long-term effects. The haz-mat suits were just them being cautious.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Just watched the first few minutes of episode 7 - Really, really lame. I'm okay with the gory bat things, but cmon, they killed Steve. They made a point of showing those things gruesomely stabbing him and digging into his sides, he doesn't get to just get up and run away at full speed two minutes later. I know a lot of the action is embellished in these shows -- Hopper should sound like Herschel Walker from all the beatings he's taken, for one thing -- but I don't recall them ever doing such a lame fake-out when someone gets explicitly torn into by monsters.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

SimonChris posted:

Will spent the entire first season in the Upside Down, remember? The environment is implied to be unhealthy, but not so much that you can't spend several weeks in there with no apparent long-term effects. The haz-mat suits were just them being cautious.

Yeah, Will being in the Upside Down for most of S1 kind of throws a wrench into my complaint, but I was kinda giving that a pass because of ….whatever happened with him. Like I said, I don’t remember S1 too well.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

OldSenileGuy posted:

I think at the end of season 3, the consensus theorized answer to the question of "how did Hopper survive the explosion of the machine?" was "he escaped into the Upside Down!" That was a fun answer and opened up a bunch more questions of "how did the Russians retrieve him from the Upside Down?" "how long was he stuck in there?" etc. That sounds like a fun plotline to explore! But no, the actual answer is that the explosion just knocked Hopper off the catwalk and onto the ground (despite the fact that it vaporized the other people in that room), and when Joyce went into the room to look for his body, she just didn't look over the railing down to see where he fell? And then the Russians were able to come in and remove him from the facility, despite the fact that by this point, the facility was crawling with US Military?? What's the saying? Something about how the audience will accept the impossible but not the improbable?

The Hopper stuff is all so ridiculous, that for the first couple episodes, I was expecting a twist where the Russian Prison actually was in the Upside Down, with the joke being that Russia sucks so much that Hopper was unable to tell the difference.

And why did the Russians keep Hopper alive after an extremely unlikely escape attempt which ended with the deaths of several Russian soldiers? I kept waiting for some payoff on the "Hopper in Russia" storyline, thinking there MUST be some reason they're keeping him alive, probably related to his knowledge of the Upside Down and their continuing research. But nope. They just kept him alive to do prisoner labor on a railroad and then eventually get fed to a Demogorgon.

Even though we clearly disagree about the quality of this season, all of this is absolutely correct. Everything you said about Hopper’s storyline is spot on and just contributes to it being the worst plotline of the season. The first couple episodes of the season really weren’t doing it for me, and Hopper just falling where Joyce didn’t see him was incredibly stupid. They could’ve done any manner of interesting reasons, but it’s clear they came up with “Hop is somehow in a Russian prison with a demogorgon” first and then wrote the laziest explanation for it later. At least we got some great Ryder/Gelman moments out of it. The show realized they had a perfect odd pair in those two and stuck with it.

Maybe the first few episodes being a bit slower and weaker worked in that it lowered my expectations so when things ramped up I was much more invested. The end of episode 4 was one of the most stressful television moments I’ve seen in years because I genuinely didn’t know if Max was going to get out of it alive. Usually plot armor is enough to keep me from feeling any real sense of danger, but somehow they actually pulled it. I haven’t felt tension like that since Colin Hanks at the end of Fargo S1.

I’m still amazed that, despite the ridiculous runtime, the Byers brothers still got so shafted. Noah Schnapp has the chops so you can’t really blame it on that. They just have never known what to do with him after season 1. Who knows if the final 2 episodes will get into his sexuality and probable crush on Mike, but maybe it’ll actually be a plot point in season 5 that matters. Not sure if Jonathan’s stoner characterization will go anywhere. Maybe he’ll smoke out Vecna and that’ll show him that life isn’t all bad and he’ll stop his crusade against humanity!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I finished early yesterday (took the day off to watch it, watched Kenobi the night before, watched Top Gun last night). First, an amazing day of media.

I think (and I need to rewatch) this is the best they've ever done. Max's actor legit should get nominated for an Emmy for her episode 4 work. Same goes for 11 in general. It is underrated how good they are at casting. They've now had three seasons post the 1st where they've introduced new characters who are fantastic.

Bullying plot in the first few episodes is a little overly long and painful, but it's very well done, and that's the point. From basically the second half of episode 3 on, they're firing on all cylinders. Episode 4 is probably one of the best episodes they've ever done, but on top of that, it's better than basically 99% of all shows to come out in the last year plus, on any network.

I get why they dropped 7 of the 9. 7 is an amazing, amazing episode as well. They capture 80's vibe, but they also capture a very strong Stephen King novel better than just about anything out there.

The Moscow storyline is the only one I would look to trim a bit, but even then, until I've seen the whole thing, I'm leery of saying that.

Considering the acting in Kenobi by certain people, how good this cast is and how good the directors are at getting amazing performances out of a large cast including a ton of young people is remarkable.

in terms of what's capturing the discussion, Kenobi won the Thursday night early Friday conversation, but by last night, episode 4 was trending, and the meme generators had switched over to Stranger Things. And despite some sub par reviewers writing lovely reviews, the buzz around this season is very, very strong.

I get being bitter at Netflix for canceling people's pet shows, but there's a reason this is their biggest show.

It's really loving good.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
5 episodes in and all i can say is that the hopper plot drags this season down so much. Eddie is great, argyle is ok. But the show would be instantly improved if every hopper scene was deleted.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m on episode 2 now and wondering how much they spent on licensing music for this season. Maybe they could have afforded that Bone series by shortening those roller rink scenes.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Just finished episode 7 and so far this season is my favorite.

Still got an episode left and part 5 or whatever they're calling it to ruin it so...

Phenotype posted:

explicitly torn into by monsters.

I'm not sure what you watched but that didn't happen?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Haven't gotten through the whole series yet but curious how the new villain is connected to the big Mindflayer thing from S2 and S3? Was that just an alternate form or a monster under their control or something else?

OldSenileGuy posted:

^^^^^^ This (Tyler Whitney's post) may all turn out to be varying levels of true! I just hate it and hate the direction the show has taken!

For the first 3 seasons, the Upside Down was this mysterious other realm that we aren't meant to access or know about, but due to man's meddling with science, we created people that had powers and could access the demon world and Evil Creatures started coming across and loving everything up. That's fun and mysterious and very X-Files! But now we learn, no it's just some kid that randomly was born with these powers (?) that started accessing the Upside Down, and the government kidnapped him and used him to make the other children, before they put an inhibitor chip (???) in his neck? It's a twist that turns everything we think we knew upside down (lol), but it's not a good one.

A few more random thoughts and complaints:

Also, correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't watched S1 or S2 in a while, but wasn't going into the Upside Down portrayed as a toxic, corrosive experience in those seasons? I remember any science guys that did it wore full haz-mat suits, and I have a vague memory of Hopper and Joyce going in (to look for Will?) and coming out all out of breath and hosed up and whatnot. But now the Steve and Robin gang are full-on exploring the Upside Down like it's nothing? Again, to be fair, the "Steve fucks up a demon bat" scene WAS cool, but this is something that was nagging at the back of my head all during those scenes.

This is minor in the grand scheme of things, but there was no "80's icon" guest star this season! I'm not counting Robert Englund because he had all of one scene. But S2 had Sean Astin and S3 had Cary Elwes. Why nobody for S4?

Trying to think of stuff I actually liked about this season - as I said, the stuff in episode 4 was legit good, and Robin and Steve continue to be the best.

Very much agree with all of this, the way they demystified some elements of the show kind of make sense in the context of it becoming a serial with set characters rather than the originally intended anthology format, but also feels like of unoriginal.

They've definitely changed around some of the parameters of how the Upside Down works and been fairly wishy washy on the "magic vs science" elements of things.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I thought that the experiments were why 11 was nonverbal. But in the flashbacks the other kids all talk fine but she still talks like Tarzan.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

CainFortea posted:

I'm not sure what you watched but that didn't happen?

It was the last few minutes of 6 and first few minutes of 7 -- Steve gets pulled through the Watergate(lol), the bats attack him, and for like a solid minute or two he's on the ground with one of them choking him and the other two stabbing him and rooting around in his sides. It lasted long enough for me to run through "they can't possibly kill him" to "omg they actually killed Steve" back to "wtf how is he getting back up and beating the poo poo out of the last bat".

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I thought that the experiments were why 11 was nonverbal. But in the flashbacks the other kids all talk fine but she still talks like Tarzan.

It’s because she was in a sensory deprivation tank

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Season 5 will be the actors with grey hair and long beards, but it'll be set in like 1991 and they'll still be pretending that they're kids.

I picture the "kids" in grad school and they're dressing up as characters from Terminator 2 but the story will still pretend like it's only been six months since Season 4.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah if this goes for another season they'll need a time skip or to get it out within a year. The kids already look too old for where they're supposed to be. Will looks like a grown man trying to pretend to be a kid with a bad haircut.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I thought this season was pretty loving good so far, best since season 1, and that some of you might be big dumb babies.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

joepinetree posted:

5 episodes in and all i can say is that the hopper plot drags this season down so much. Eddie is great, argyle is ok. But the show would be instantly improved if every hopper scene was deleted.

It completely takes away the tension and mystery. Is Hopper really alive? Is the note genuine?

Ideally the audience shouldn't find out until the transaction takes place in Alaska.

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah if this goes for another season they'll need a time skip or to get it out within a year. The kids already look too old for where they're supposed to be. Will looks like a grown man trying to pretend to be a kid with a bad haircut.

My favorite part was when the Lucas's kid sister said she was 11 in the first episode of the season. She looks at least 15.

LOL I just checked Wikipedia and the actress is 15.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I don't really know how the american justice system works, or worked in the 80s, but do they really send 16 year old first time offenders to juvie for lashing out at a bully?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Mymla posted:

I don't really know how the american justice system works, or worked in the 80s, but do they really send 16 year old first time offenders to juvie for lashing out at a bully?

As someone who has worked in a place where kids in that age group are sent to for commiting crimes, assuming there is no prior record, it's possible, but in general the answer is "no".

However, I got vibes that Angela's family is privileged and connected as she convinced the officers that she got a "second degree concussion" from the incident.

That whole scene and show's response to it makes me feel like I'm in bizzarro world. Eleven should have done something similar to Angela the first or second time she tried her like that. Yet, everyone is like "NOOOO!!! Why would the girl who just got humiliated in front of everybody do something like that!? :wth:"

Maybe I would make a bad parent, but if I saw my daughter do that under that context I'd reward her by giving her ice cream or some poo poo. gently caress this "violence is never the answer!" poo poo.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 29, 2022

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

punk rebel ecks posted:

There are always things that slip through the cracks but in general "no".

However, I got vibes that Angela's family is privileged and connected as she convinced the officers that she got a "Second degree concussion".

That whole scene makes me feel like I'm in bizzarro world. Eleven should have done something similar to Angela the first or second time she tried her like that. Yet, everyone is like "NOOOO!!! Why would the girl who just got humiliated in front of everybody do something like that!? :gawk:"

Maybe I would make a bad parent, but if I saw my daughter do that under that context I'd reward her by giving her ice cream or some poo poo. gently caress this "violence is never the answer!" poo poo.

That whole bullying at the roller rink scene was a low point of the 7 episodes for me. It was just such over the top, cartoonishly evil bullying. Like someone else said it was like the bully girl organised a loving flashmob. They might as well have been the punks from that season 2 episode riding around her in a circle on dirt bikes whirling chains above their heads.

And the whole time her friends are off in the distance watching, mouths agape, but not doing anything at all about it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

And the whole time her friends are off in the distance watching, mouths agape, but not doing anything at all about it.

Hey that's not fair! Mike told the DJ, who was clearly in on the entire thing, to stop playing the song!

By the way where the gently caress were the supervisors and managers during that entire scene? Like the people in charge of the rink are okay with blatant bullying of their customers?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I was more outraged that the managers of the rink are ok with a chocolate milkshake getting thrown in the middle of the rink?! Someone’s gotta clean that up, AND it’s gonna gunk up the rink!!

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Based on my experience at the rink: yes, they were fine with it.

Edit- the bullying not the shake on the floor

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Maybe I'm alone on this one in this thread, I'm picking up a lot of Berserk references this season. Obviously it's not a direct 1:1 thing, but it's enough that even a friend who is familiar with Berserk noticed it too.

Vecna's voice is almost identical to that of Void. Vecna's area of the upside down has a red hue to it whereas previously it was just a dark melange of grey and blue, similar to the Eclipse. Vecna's relation to the upside down and transition from human to monster is like that of a new member of the Godhand. He influences events in one world from his residence in another world, similar to Godhand members influencing the real world from the Astral Plane.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The big fight scene in the rainbow room had big Heroes vibes with Sylar and Peter in the penultimate episode of season 1

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1530605084643565571
https://twitter.com/bad_takes/status/1530631142751223809

hmmm

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I was confused about whether the roller rink stuff was actually happening or if it was a Freddy Krueger guy vision because it was so over the top, which doesn’t seem like what the show is going for.

Also, if Eleven is traumatized by cutting a girl’s face open with a skate because it reminds her of everyone in Modine’s lab dying, why is she not bothered by killing 20 dudes or snapping a bully’s arms in the first season? I don’t remember if she kills anyone after that—maybe some russians last season?

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

punk rebel ecks posted:

However, I got vibes that Angela's family is privileged and connected as she convinced the officers that she got a "second degree concussion" from the incident.

I think the only people convincing the cops here are medical professionals. She probably is privileged, but that isn’t evidence to prove it.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
If there’s a gate everywhere one of the killings happen than somewhere in Hawkins there is street with a gate right in the middle?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I liked it a lot! Really miffed at having to wait a month for the last two episodes, it's just a tease. Couple weak spots that I'm sure people have noted already, like all the Russia stuff with Hopper, or how Will and Jonathan get dropped eventually (I don't remember how we lost them, actually.)

punk rebel ecks posted:

Just finished episode 2 and I'm sorry was I suppose to feel bad or shocked for what El did to the girl who was tormenting her? She did exactly what she should have done. I will never understand these types of shows and their whole :ohdear: when people rightfully attack garbage people.

Yeah, I was thinking "no, El, don't feel bad, don't even be sorry" like holy poo poo that was some insanely cruel, sociopathic Carrie type bullying, and as far as I'm concerned that girl had a rollerskate to the face coming. If they'd wanted to make that scene work the way they wanted it to, they should have had the worst of the bullying happen in a previous episode, and then El snaps and cracks her in the face over a smaller act of cruelty so it seems more disproportionate out of context. As is, that seemed like a perfectly reasonable response. Have they ever shown us what made the girl hate El so bad? She called her a snitch but I don't remember what she snitched about.

Simulation883
Jan 1, 2007
Finished the season and really it was fun and kept my interest to binge the whole thing. Unfortunately though I feel like afterwards I remember more that was bad than good.

My Season 4, Part 1 criticisms:
-There was just too much bloat this season so far with a few too many plot lines and new characters. The biggest one in my opinion is the new basketball coach and his little mob. I mean we already got that sense of danger from the local police and the army investigating everything, so this addition seems superfluous. Initially the plotline seemed interested with Lucas deciding between being popular and hanging with the gang, but a lot of that got thrown out the window after episode 2. I thought we might see Lucas have to make a big decision about where his loyalties lie, which he kind of did, but that was also early in the season and there were no real repercussions to all that. I suppose it did come up with how he didn't "see" Max, but I don't feel like we needed the whole basketball plotline to achieve the same idea.
-Then there's the California trip and Hopper bits. Not bad plotlines in theory, but the presentation is so roundabout. I mean it wasn't enough they could just get the number to warn Project Nina, they first had to find the phone number, then realize it was a computer, then drive to Nevada, then articulate some plan to access the taken computer. Just a few steps too many. With Hopper, did we really need to see him escape just to immediately be taken and go back to square 1? Why couldn't he have just been some prison that feeds people to the Demigorogon in the first place?
-The "mean-ness " of this season definitely resonates with me. I feel like the writers have trouble developing the characters without having them suffering. For instance, with Will they could only do stuff with him when he was either abducted or being mind control. With Elle, do we really need to see her be bullied, manipulated by her toxic father figure, then bullied again in the past? It creates a connecting arc I suppose, but I'd rather us just have a season where Elle doesn't need to be terrified. It'd be cool if Season 5 there was a threat, but Elle was in control other powers and ready to kick some rear end through a challenging battle.
-Admittedly out of writers control, but the aging is definitely noticeable. At first I was like...they look a little old for Seniors, but I'll bite. Then when we are to believe they are Freshman, and that's too much. To the show's credit though, the casting for the Newspaper editor was spot on for a high schooler.

On the Positive:
-Max in episode 4 was really amazing, props to her actress. The ending scene hit all the right emotional points for me. Hoping she gets the awards she deserves.
-Might be because I'm gay, but I'm really invested in the whole Will/Mike plotline. Excited to see how it ends up and the resolution? What did he paint?! Hoping Will doesn't get his heart broken too much, he's suffered enough!
-The ending of the first episode definitely got me hooked. Was not expecting the twisting and eye popping. Though it didn't have the same effect throughout the seasons, it was set up in this episode really well.
-The writers definitely know how to make the groupings we have together work. Loving the Nancy and Robyn dynamic. Wasn't the biggest fan of Murray, but he has definitely been entertaining this season with Joyce.
-Appreciate they are digging into the Upside Down more. I'm curious as to why time "stopped" there after the capture of Will and what this means. Also where does the Mind-Flayer fit into all this?

Excited overall to see how this wraps up. For Season 5 onward, definitely hoping they fit in some time skip so the actors can breathe a little more.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Watched all the released episodes this afternoon. The climax of episode 4 is really rad. Enjoyed it so far and looking forward to the rest.

Also, love seeing more Brett Gelman.

Also was interesting to me that the bad government guys are kind of right in that it was all El's fault but by accident. They still need her to fix it ultimately.

kdrudy fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 29, 2022

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

That whole bullying at the roller rink scene was a low point of the 7 episodes for me. It was just such over the top, cartoonishly evil bullying. Like someone else said it was like the bully girl organised a loving flashmob. They might as well have been the punks from that season 2 episode riding around her in a circle on dirt bikes whirling chains above their heads.

It was so silly that I actually laughed out loud when the kid threw the milkshake. I felt bad about it immediately, but it was just too ridiculous to take seriously at all.

Speaking of El, she was spitting HUGE Starfire vibes this season in her ep 1 intro and basically everywhere else early on. Go back and listen and tell me you don't hear it. "I am still best at math, but my grammar is getting good now also." LMFAO get Millie Bobby Brown into doing VA work for Starfire ASAP

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Hilario Baldness posted:

Maybe I'm alone on this one in this thread, I'm picking up a lot of Berserk references this season. Obviously it's not a direct 1:1 thing, but it's enough that even a friend who is familiar with Berserk noticed it too.

Vecna's voice is almost identical to that of Void. Vecna's area of the upside down has a red hue to it whereas previously it was just a dark melange of grey and blue, similar to the Eclipse. Vecna's relation to the upside down and transition from human to monster is like that of a new member of the Godhand. He influences events in one world from his residence in another world, similar to Godhand members influencing the real world from the Astral Plane.

Oh weird, I thought that was just me. I definitely had a moment where I thought "Oh the upside-down is just the eclipse world, got it." The Vecna==Godhand thing didn't even occur to me then, maybe because we didn't learn his exact situation until the very end. It makes sense since they both pull a lot of influence from Hellraiser.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Episode 7 was better than 5 and 6 but past Vecna’s dialogue was so lmao, fuckin loser doing a bad Joker impression

Looking forward to very expensive climactic action in July

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
I finished season 4 today. I liked season 1 but its been really diminishing returns, feels like a lot of repetition and aping of earlier plot lines without adding anything novel.

I have a lot of issues, but I think the biggest two are:
- The writers have clearly never lived or spent time in Indiana. They're just aping spielbergian small town southern California so why not just go with that? If you're going to be so clear about "Hawkins, Indiana" maybe make it in any way distinct?

- None of the D&D stuff makes sense. Among other things, what absolute psycho runs a campaign with 7 player characters?

I think what shines through to me this season more than others is that the show isn't detail oriented. Theres a reference to one movie which came out years before, but other than that, where are the little touches that would ground us in 1986? These kids are supposed to be nerds, where are references to anything?

Also, goddamn Mike and Will are the ugliest with the worst haircuts.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Phenotype posted:

I liked it a lot! Really miffed at having to wait a month for the last two episodes, it's just a tease. Couple weak spots that I'm sure people have noted already, like all the Russia stuff with Hopper, or how Will and Jonathan get dropped eventually (I don't remember how we lost them, actually.)

Yeah, I was thinking "no, El, don't feel bad, don't even be sorry" like holy poo poo that was some insanely cruel, sociopathic Carrie type bullying, and as far as I'm concerned that girl had a rollerskate to the face coming. If they'd wanted to make that scene work the way they wanted it to, they should have had the worst of the bullying happen in a previous episode, and then El snaps and cracks her in the face over a smaller act of cruelty so it seems more disproportionate out of context. As is, that seemed like a perfectly reasonable response. Have they ever shown us what made the girl hate El so bad? She called her a snitch but I don't remember what she snitched about.

Being honest I still don’t think it would work. Because it’s a constant pattern of behavior of Angela. It wouldn’t be about the one snipe she took at El, because then El’s “NOT TODAY!!!” attitude and reaction would still be sympathetic.

Hell, it wouldn’t work even if Angela didn’t do anything and El just said “I’m sick of this poo poo.” And just found her and beat her up.

The only way that scene would have worked is if it was common “playground and kick me signs” bullying and El ended up seriously injuring Angela to the emergency room.

As I’ve said before, I really think the Duffer Brothers crap politics shine through in that scene.

The “snitch” thing was likely a reference to the teacher grabbing Angela after she destroyed El’s collage.

In terms of why she bullies El, well because she’s a bully. Bullies look for the weakest and most vulnerable people. El is the new girl in school and her only friend is her “brother”. That’s it. El never did anything. That’s how bullying works most of the time. Though not to :can:, there are at times where someone is bullied because they are being annoying or an rear end in a top hat. But clearly that isn’t El’s case.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The kid who plays Will really needs to get a new haircut for next season. He looks just terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Phenotype posted:

She called her a snitch but I don't remember what she snitched about. [/spoiler]

When her and her friends tripped her and smashed her diorama. She didn't snitch at all, the teacher figured it out, but mean girl decided she snitched anyway.

And as far as 11's reaction to the bullying, I don't think it's really supposed to be the show saying she went too far. If mean girl deserved it or not isn't really the point. She's had to fight and kill a lot as a child and really was trying to put all that behind her and be "normal". And then she does such a violent and dangerous act and it's just "proof" that she might be outside the lab, but she'll never escape.