Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

pik_d posted:

That was Dustin my dude :eyepop:

Wow I can't believe you totally changed the name to call me wrong, must be living in the upside down.

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

https://twitter.com/strangernews11/status/1549396475704123393?s=21&t=62QR0nq4CVB2VW182v4KSQ

Dang, 2024.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

2024? Jesus Christ.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Welp see you all in 2 years

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Isn’t that just a fan account? I saw it before but didn’t read into it.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
That's not an official account, though 2024 is believable

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Ah crap, my bad.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
A weird one this. I watched the first season back in the day, enjoyed it well enough I guess, and watched the first episode of season two. Yet while I didn't have a problem with it, I just never felt a need to go back to it, there were other shows and other things going on instead, and I found most of the kids annoying. Especially Dustin.

Skip to the last month, the crazy amount of discussion everywhere about S4 made me curious enough to go back and see what I missed and what's going on in this latest release. While there were plenty of things I didn't like about S2 and S3 in terms of plotting, I did really find myself liking the characters and various team-ups, particularly Steve and Dustin, Nancy going off on her crusade for justice, and especially new girl Max, even though her dime store Rob Lowe stepbrother infuriated me every time he appeared and would be a poo poo to her. As I went through S3, I loved Max and El hanging out, Steve meeting Robin at the ice cream place, Nancy getting more awesome while surrounded by assholes, even if all the Russian Mall of Doom was some of the dumbest poo poo I've ever seen (it did give us Joyce in a Red Army uniform though, so swings and roundabouts).

Likewise, S4 was bloated as gently caress, I could not pretend to care about the Russian prison stuff or the Pizza Van Gang, or even El getting her mojo back in the base (though I respect how it all played a part in the final battle, RotJ/TPM style). But the Hawkins stuff was wonderful (and horrific), Eddie was an absolute delight, Nancy and Robin undercover was ace, and episode 4 wasn't just the best episode of the show by a mile, it was also the single most anxiety inducing episode of anything I've ever watched. Going into the series I hoped Max might get a bigger role but talk about monkey's paw poo poo, I take it all back. And naturally, given that, the finale pretty much wrecked me. For various reasons, Max's story resonated with me in a way nothing really has before, to a point where everything be damned, I *need* that kid to have a happy ending, I don't care what dumb magic bullshit they have to pull in S5 to fix it. gently caress killing your darlings, the world's a lovely, miserable place and there's plenty of other grim, miserable dramas out there, let her skateboard into the sunset and go see that movie with Lucas, drat it. And if they absolutely have to kill people, Mike and Jonathan are right there, y'know?

Also, Nancy going all Sarah Connor with the shotgun was some proper GOAT poo poo too. Loved it.

Oh yeah, I am convinced Paul Reiser took on his role so whenever anyone sees him now they'll think "oh hey, it's that nice doctor dude, yay" instead of the "it's that fucker Burke, boooooo" he's probably been getting the last 35 years.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's stupid as hell that the Demogorgon is seemingly bulletproof but can have its limbs chopped off by a lovely sword

Give it a break. Brett Gelman had just werfed a bunch of Flammen at it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Sentinel Red posted:

Oh yeah, I am convinced Paul Reiser took on his role so whenever anyone sees him now they'll think "oh hey, it's that nice doctor dude, yay" instead of the "it's that fucker Burke, boooooo" he's probably been getting the last 35 years.

I'm convinced they initially cast Reiser specifically to bait us with false Burke, Carter J. expectations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

fartknocker posted:

Eddie comes back, only now he looks like Iron Maiden’s mascot Eddie.

:confused:

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Sentinel Red posted:

But the Hawkins stuff was wonderful (and horrific), Eddie was an absolute delight, Nancy and Robin undercover was ace, and episode 4 wasn't just the best episode of the show by a mile, it was also the single most anxiety inducing episode of anything I've ever watched. Going into the series I hoped Max might get a bigger role but talk about monkey's paw poo poo, I take it all back. And naturally, given that, the finale pretty much wrecked me. For various reasons, Max's story resonated with me in a way nothing really has before, to a point where everything be damned, I *need* that kid to have a happy ending, I don't care what dumb magic bullshit they have to pull in S5 to fix it. gently caress killing your darlings, the world's a lovely, miserable place and there's plenty of other grim, miserable dramas out there, let her skateboard into the sunset and go see that movie with Lucas, drat it.

I wouldn't worry about Max too much. Two reasons. One they are pretty clearly giving her Will's arc from S2, and The Mind Flayer episode I loved so much in particular. Some things are reversed, mainly how he was supernaturally assaulted then mistaken for having psychological problems and PTSD, while Max started with genuine psych issues/PTSD that then made her prey for Vecan's psychological assault. But more is in common, like using a diagetic favorite song to fight off the monster's control, and also having the whole arc as a way to step up the role for an actor who'd been more a side character (at least on-screen) till then.

Second reason is a deeper one you hit on the head, the one about this whole age of TV. Starting with the Sopranos we entered this great age of TV where it can match film and stage drama for greatness, particularly stories of great people being brought down by tragic flaws, good people becoming bad, and bad people becoming worse. Especially bad people becoming worse. Not only has this gotten repetitive, it's getting outmoded because, say, a year or so around when this show came on the world got even shittier and never quite stopped. Two or three other of my favorite shows along with (I think/hope) this one--I'm not naming them since this is sorta spoilery--are Trauma TV shows that have depressing and horrifying content to realistically get people low before giving them uplift and help people deal with how awful life often is, doubly so as the last decade or so went on. I had the great fortune to reach the end of The Expanse in the week after ST S4's finale, and that ended with this perfect monologue that was basically about how to write a TV show, and it feels a bit like how David Harbour plugged Stranger Things at the SAG awards for S1 and how the show is probably being written. I know actors don't speak for writers, but there are signs of it throughout this whole pro-outsider show and especially the politics plotline in S3. (That one didn't land so well for me, but it speaks to intent.)

The writers know how huge this platform has become, particularly with kids. As for Max, she's a teen girl with suicidal ideation who faced up to it the way you should. Would the writers just kill her off right after that? Doubt it. I suspect something similar with Will being monomaniacally gay for Mike but not confessing or getting shot down in S4. It's left for later for a reason. There's actually a really high chance he could end up with Mike in the end just because of the message it would send and the precedent for mass-market entertainment properties. What good is Mike staying with Eleven going to do out in the world? Besides, Eleven needs a good test for being completely over her trauma and the older the characters get the more the Mike-Eleven romance seems like a semi-creepy Pygmalion story. George Bernard Shaw was probably right about how that should end.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Great launch but broke both legs on the landing

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'd be happy for Will's character if he ends up with someone by the finale, but I'd rather it not be Mike if only because it would seem pretty inorganic if 11 left him and he happens to be bi and reciprocal of Will's feelings. It's not like say Legend of Korra where there are hints at her sexuality and feelings before the end. I don't believe ST has so much has shown a lingering gaze or ambiguous affection from Mike to Will thus far. His words and actions have been clear that he considers Will a close friend.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Neo Rasa posted:

But what we learn about the upside down here is how One finds this like existing presence that he gives direction to and stuff. It wouldn't be totally out of place for our heroes to try to find a dimension that isn't as lovely to us as the upside down.

The Downside Up

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Will’s going to go to college and forget his weird hometown and old friends. Maybe when he’s 38, Lucas will call him to say that Vecna has returned and they have to go back.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

Will’s going to go to college and forget his weird hometown and old friends. Maybe when he’s 38, Lucas will call him to say that Vecna has returned and they have to go back.

This was the original season 2 plan, according to the season pitch.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I AM GRANDO posted:

In my fanfic, it's actually Eddie who returns when they're all 38. He is now Vecna2, but instead of killing kids he tries to introduce 80s rock and D&D to them.

Ashheap Empire
Jul 22, 2000

Kings taste terrible at best
and rest in peace raw
The rest are recipes
*CAAAWWWW*
Haven't finished this season yet and way behind on this thread but I have some thoughts.

I think this show would have been better is Eleven had just died at the end of season one. It would have been more interesting to see the kids have to deal with all this poo poo without having some to make it all go away if she grimaces at it hard enough. I don't give a gently caress about an entire subplot about her learning how to grimace really hard again.

This show is so close to greatness. The cast and crew are awesome. It has great moments. I wish the stories didn't kind of suck, and they weren't so repetitive.

They are way to precious about the characters and giving all their actors screen time. They need a strong story with narrative momentum and to only focus on the characters needed for that story. If they have to tell Noah Schapp of Wolf Finnhard "sorry, we don't have much for you this season" too bad.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

pik_d posted:

In my fanfic, it's actually Eddie who returns when they're all 38. He is now Vecna2, but instead of killing kids he tries to introduce 80s rock and D&D to them.

At least Vecna keeps their torture short.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Ashheap Empire posted:

Haven't finished this season yet and way behind on this thread but I have some thoughts.

I think this show would have been better is Eleven had just died at the end of season one. It would have been more interesting to see the kids have to deal with all this poo poo without having some to make it all go away if she grimaces at it hard enough. I don't give a gently caress about an entire subplot about her learning how to grimace really hard again.

This show is so close to greatness. The cast and crew are awesome. It has great moments. I wish the stories didn't kind of suck, and they weren't so repetitive.

They are way to precious about the characters and giving all their actors screen time. They need a strong story with narrative momentum and to only focus on the characters needed for that story. If they have to tell Noah Schapp of Wolf Finnhard "sorry, we don't have much for you this season" too bad.

Agree with all this although honestly Noah Schapp is probably the best actor among the main kids. Losing him wouldn't be great for the series overall but also they don't give him poo poo to do except look scared and touch his neck 90% of the time so the end result would come out to about the same.

They mixed up the usual "team comes together to defeat the big monster of the season" this year by having everybody in different places playing different roles which was good but yeah the formula needed a change-up way before this point and I doubt it'll change in S5 much.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I don't wish Eleven had died because this show is primarily about her and her super powers but it's super annoying how seasons 2, 3, and 4 all had ways to get the super powered girl away from the main enemy until the very end

I get that you don't want the problem to be instantly solved with super powers but all the stuff that kept her away felt contrived. I feel like they could have done something in between

I don't think the final season will be like that though. They've set it up so that everyone is together in Hawkins and they'll all go to war together. At least I hope so. I'll be pissed if Eleven somehow gets captured or imprisoned or restrained for most of the season

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I don't wish Eleven had died because this show is primarily about her and her super powers but it's super annoying how seasons 2, 3, and 4 all had ways to get the super powered girl away from the main enemy until the very end

She is literally Goku, all the way down to putting her in the gravity machine to get strong enough to beat Frieza at the last second.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

stev posted:

She is literally Goku, all the way down to putting her in the gravity machine to get strong enough to beat Frieza at the last second.

Someone in The Boys thread compared her to Homelander recently and I have to admit I went a bit :stare: before typing and then deleting a response to that

Ashheap Empire
Jul 22, 2000

and rest in peace raw
The rest are recipes
*CAAAWWWW*

Elephant Ambush posted:

After S1 Eleven and everything related to her has been the least interesting part of the show to me. There is no shortage of superhero poo poo and people fighting by grimacing at each other out there. Sometimes they even shoot different colored fireballs at each other that meet in the middle and the fireballs push back and forth in the middle like magical arm wrestling or something. There is usually some excellent grimacing and grunting while this is going on! Exciting!

I was always more drawn in by the Upside Down aspect. The idea of some weird-rear end, Beksinski-esque hellworld somehow connected to our own normal, mundane hellworld is cool. Haven't watched the last episode but it seems like they're going to ruin that by making it because of their lame PG-13 Scanners knockoff poo poo.

Ashheap Empire fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 22, 2022

Ashheap Empire
Jul 22, 2000

and rest in peace raw
The rest are recipes
*CAAAWWWW*

Mat Cauthon posted:

Agree with all this although honestly Noah Schapp is probably the best actor among the main kids. Losing him wouldn't be great for the series overall but also they don't give him poo poo to do except look scared and touch his neck 90% of the time so the end result would come out to about the same.

They mixed up the usual "team comes together to defeat the big monster of the season" this year by having everybody in different places playing different roles which was good but yeah the formula needed a change-up way before this point and I doubt it'll change in S5 much.

Yah, nothing against those two, I just picked a couple names at random. They could have given anyone dramatically more or less screentime in the last 3 seasons and I'd have been happy if it was in service of a tighter, better paced, more cohesive story. At this point I think it's too late to change it up. You can't dramatically change a show for it's last season. I feel like they lost their opportunity for greatness to make an above-average fan-pleasing TV show. That's fine. I do like it well enough. I just feel like it could have been more.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

CainFortea posted:

He was never redeemed. Because he was never the problem.

That's one of the greatest bits in S1. Steve is absolutely set up as the rear end in a top hat jock boyfriend by all the tropes involved. But he actually isn't. He didn't break Jonathan's camera because Byers was a nerd. He did it because Jonathan took creeper photos of Nancy without her permission. He isn't the one who spray painted poo poo about Nancy, but he cleaned it up.

Steve is a big subverted expectation and it was really neat.
I just found out Jonathan never took creeper photos of Nancy anymore, so Steve actually was a dick now retroactively.

quote:

Viewers who still have physical copies of Stranger Things season one noticed something odd having gone back for a rewatch on Netflix: a scene wherein one-time weirdo Jonathan Byers (Charlie Heaton) takes spying, lewd snaps of now-lover Nancy (Natalia Dyer) from a bush has been erased on the platform.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That seems like a really big change. Does he still stare at them loving?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The scene was still there when I watched it a couple of months ago, unless they shortened it or something.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, I just checked. It's still there.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Fast Luck posted:

I just found out Jonathan never took creeper photos of Nancy anymore, so Steve actually was a dick now retroactively.

Not sure if this sucks or not. On the one hand it sucks for Steve’s character, on the other hand the idea that you can be a big old creeper and still get the girl, like Jonathan does, is weird. It is very 80s though.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

CainFortea posted:

Yea, I just checked. It's still there.
I think that’s good, but I don’t know where the article got that from then

https://twitter.com/britishgq/status/1552250581560999936?s=21&t=A6T54h9_EyIAk3GuvufPZg

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Fast Luck posted:

I think that’s good, but I don’t know where the article got that from then

Probably got it from another article or Reddit or something.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

If he doesn't take creeper photos, why would they smash up his camera? And then Nancy would never notice the other pictures? Seems like a weird thing to change...

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

BonHair posted:

If he doesn't take creeper photos, why would they smash up his camera? And then Nancy would never notice the other pictures? Seems like a weird thing to change...

They didn't change it.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Yeah, I was gonna say, that kind of breaks a few other scenes in a pretty significant way - glad it was a false alarm

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
I mean, how could they possibly check something like that before reporting it?

Crini
Sep 2, 2011

Avasculous posted:

I mean, how could they possibly check something like that before reporting it?

S1 & S2 have a DVD/Blu Ray release. You can compare the scenes from that to the streamed version.

They never did release S3 onto physical media, at least in the US.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Crini posted:

S1 & S2 have a DVD/Blu Ray release. You can compare the scenes from that to the streamed version.

You can go on Netflix right now and check to see if the scene you're claiming was cut is still there or not...

Kinda seems like the first thing you should do before writing the article but I'm not an "internet journalist" so what do I know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

I get that you don't want the problem to be instantly solved with super powers but all the stuff that kept her away felt contrived. I feel like they could have done something in between

They had a perfect classic setup this season with Eleven losing her powers, but they're so unimaginative they still isolated her from the entire Hawkins plot until she got her powers back