Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I mainly see that a problem if say, the first T1 unholy boss is at level 10 and the next one is at level 30 a long time later and only one out of the choices is clearly the best one by a mile, or if two of those spells in the same school combo real well but have that long time gap between them.

They specifically call out merciless charge being the default for everyone for so long.

I didn't know servers got a randomizer unlock mod, that's a good idea too until the final boss is gatekeeping your favorite spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

As far as I'm aware it's not a mod, it's actually a server setting you can do, randomized V Blood rewards

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
more news, they're doing an official Castlevania tie-in where you fight SImon Belmont with the 1.0 launch

https://blog.stunlock.com/legacy-of-castlevania-coming-may-8th/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPrINI85szg

there will also be a DLC cosmetic bundle with castlevania stuff, and killing Simon gets you access to a new weapon type, Whips.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Fanatical has V Rising on 20% off sale before the price increase. I'm gonna jump in at this price before it goes to $35

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/v-rising

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's actually even cheaper on Gamebillet, if you want to really pinch your pennies

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1775596597730046408?s=20

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

15 dollars is a steal for how much time I've put into this game.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Yeah unqualified recommended for 15bux

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Countblanc posted:

It's actually even cheaper on Gamebillet, if you want to really pinch your pennies

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1775596597730046408?s=20
Can you buy these as a gift?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Gamebillet and basically all sites like it give you steam codes, you can just send the code to someone after buying it. That said I did notice that specific link is specifically for American players, if you're elsewhere you may need to find a different one.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
1.0 trailer, kinda. shows off some of the new castle stuff as well as some bits about the Castlevania crossover. Simon goes ham though, good for him. people need to put some drat respect on the eldest belmont's name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCdAEMpywKg

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Big post detailing 1.0. Obviously lots of stuff both in terms of gameplay changes, new content, and QoL updates.

https://playvrising.com/launch-update

I really want to know more about the difficulty options. New boss mechanics sound rad. Also want to know more about the two new weapon types.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

An option to magically relocate your castle to another plot.

My god, these sonsabitches did it

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I just picked this up. Is there a PvE server that's goon-run or that goons play on? If not, are there settings you'd recommend for playing single player? I did a little bit but found it kind of frustrating waiting for dark so I could gather rocks or trees or whatever.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You don’t need to wait for dark, just chop from the shadows.

As for a goon server there used to be one but I don’t know if anyone still runs it. There are a bunch of settings you can tweak to make single player more bearable. Primarily, you will want to enable teleporting with your stuff, and increase the yields of all drops. If the day/night cycle is too annoying you can change that too. 23hr night here we come.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Are there any popular pvp servers these days? I think something without castle raids would be ideal.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I've had good success with the official servers that use the "No Raid" option, personally. While it's cool the devs actively encourage private servers - the community manager has actually called it the intended way to play and official servers are more an onboarding vanilla experience before you find something more tailored to your specific tastes, which is awesome to hear from a dev in 2024 imo - the actual tools for finding said tailored experiences aren't great. The discord has multiple channels dedicated to it (either admins plugging their servers or individuals asking for recommendations) but it's basically just a giant unordered list that you have to click through manually, and the ingame browser doesn't have nearly enough selectable filters.

Maybe the 1.0 patch will see some major overhauls to the browser, it'll definitely need to at least update for the new difficulty options so maybe there will be some other choices. But yeah if you aren't looking for a long-term community I think the official no-raid servers work great currently.

SettingSun posted:

You don’t need to wait for dark, just chop from the shadows.

I've posted about it before but gathering resources in the daytime is like the best feature of V Rising after the controls for me. It makes what's otherwise a mundane activity into something much more exciting. The game is 100% not expecting you to just sit in your castle until nightfall.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Yeah this game gets the balance of danger and calm just right during its downtime. Some survival games feel too lethal and punishing or too boring when just gathering materials.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Right, obviously the light will kill your undead rear end (especially with wandering patrols on the road nearby), but characters in V Rising are extremely mobile and powerful so it's cool that the environment itself forces you to use that mobility to thrive.

Crackerjack
Nov 7, 2004
crackalackin

Slippery Tilde
Anyone have some good guides or tips on castle building ABCs? Thought I'd futz around with a designing base before the full release and am getting a bit overwhelmed. I'm being pulled in three directions: Constructing for areas the place needs now at a low level; what I know it will need later; and making sure it looks like a sexy, swank vampire manor the entire time.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Crackerjack posted:

Anyone have some good guides or tips on castle building ABCs? Thought I'd futz around with a designing base before the full release and am getting a bit overwhelmed. I'm being pulled in three directions: Constructing for areas the place needs now at a low level; what I know it will need later; and making sure it looks like a sexy, swank vampire manor the entire time.

To some degree those first two will be resolved in 1.0, they're adding a feature that lets you completely relocate your castle. In general I'd say the best early-mid game locations are in northern Farbane or southern Dunley - easy access to Iron does a ton to help the transition from early to mid. This isn't considering competition from your fellow vampires though, and if you're playing PvP but worried about getting killed while transporting your haul it can be worth it to build further south in Farbane where there's less foot traffic. The best players will generally "level out" of that Farbane/Dunley range pretty quickly so if you aren't hitting the grind hard on day 1 it probably isn't a huge issue, but then again those same players will probably have taken the best spots.

I would say not to worry too much about location though. Obviously there's going to be more convenient plots than others, but most places are going to have something worthwhile nearby.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Exploit the fact by default you can make two castles and build your real castle second once you’ve unlocked everything.

Unless you are designing for pvp defense (which is bad follow OP’s advice and don’t play with raids enabled) your castle is 90% personal taste and 10% making sure related furniture shares a room for the room bonus.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Haven't played with the new regions, but most of the "meta" spots usually had good access to cave exits

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
A lot will change next patch, especially if the mountains will exist finally, but I used this site a lot for finding the most convenient locations, just hide all besides cave exits.
https://mapgenie.io/v-rising/maps/vardoran

The farbane cave exits make for easy routes from a late-game farming location on the other side of the map right to your castle door.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Anyone else play this purely solo?
It's been a hot minute but I'm going jump back in for 1.0.

Solo always felt like a survival Diablo, which is very appealing. I don't like PvP games.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

If I play this again that's the only way I'm going to be playing it

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'll be playing duo privately. I've played on public servers and they're ok. Even on pvp servers if there was anyone around it was usually a 'I'll stay over here, you stay over there' policy with a couple of high level nerds sometimes hunting people.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Inzombiac posted:

Anyone else play this purely solo?
It's been a hot minute but I'm going jump back in for 1.0.

Solo always felt like a survival Diablo, which is very appealing. I don't like PvP games.

I've only played solo and yeah it feels a little like that. You split time between harvesting, building, and crafting, then once you're geared up you go into combat mode and hunt bosses and stuff. Solid systems with really good gameplay, and the later bosses are genuinely challenging. Looking forward to another playthrough with 1.0, but I might try some private multiplayer. Public servers are definitely not to my taste, though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
New trailer showing off bits of the endgame zone as well as the whip and bow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjhWYTWzQOA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

SettingSun posted:

An option to magically relocate your castle to another plot.

My god, these sonsabitches did it

I am so happy to read that and am excite for 1.0. Especially since I missed the last big update so all the cool industrial stuff and lightning magic and ahhhhhh.