Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Some unique/rare weapons instead of a set but random progression would be nice.

Also, having stuff in your stash count for building things on stations would be a huge quality of life improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

The Lone Badger posted:

Need swinging blades and spike pits

And endlessly spawning flying medusa heads.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

And endlessly spawning flying medusa heads.

I assume those would come from something like the vermin hatchery.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sephyr posted:

Some unique/rare weapons instead of a set but random progression would be nice.

One of the weirder design decisions in the game was to put a special weapon, one, and only one, right in the middle of weapon progression. I was excited when I found it and assumed there would be more drops like that for different weapon types, especially at the highest end. But nope - it was a one-off.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Any tips getting started on a pvp server? My friends and I tried, but before we could even get to copper we were just being casually slaughtered and looted by players way higher level then us.

Although I do appreciate the one player that kicked in our lovely wood palisade door, slaughtered us, and then left a bunch of loot for us in a chest. That’s class.

We have since moved to a pve server to at least learn the ropes,but I would like to do pvp eventually

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Demon_Corsair posted:

Any tips getting started on a pvp server? My friends and I tried, but before we could even get to copper we were just being casually slaughtered and looted by players way higher level then us.

Although I do appreciate the one player that kicked in our lovely wood palisade door, slaughtered us, and then left a bunch of loot for us in a chest. That’s class.

We have since moved to a pve server to at least learn the ropes,but I would like to do pvp eventually

People are gonna be jerks (unless your server has a 'leave noobs alone' policy that is enforced) so you just kinda have to grit your teeth until you get more powerful. The best thing to do imo though is find a server that is new or freshly wiped so you start on a more or less even footing with everyone else.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Yeah, but when the newbie-spawning areas are fixed and so few in number, it really becomes a matter of a shark holding its maw open as the minnows swim in.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Jack a horse and try to avoid some of the highest traffic areas (like copper mine). If you're gaming you can try to ninja loot someone's gear higher than you and slingshot that way

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
There’s no point in grinding copper or investing too heavily in a castle in core PVP. Shoot for iron, and grind it and hollowfang in any of the raised but still undecayed castles out there. You can use those benches without it being your castle.

Also go to ongoing raids and see what you can grab.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I want more people to play with, I'm having fun on the goon server but it's going down in a few weeks :(

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Hopefully there will be a more permanent server when the game launches fully. Until then, we can poke around.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Game's main problem is once you beat every boss and researched everything there really isn't much else to do besides hoard resources you don't need more of or slaughter brighthaven while looking for a few percentage point higher servants.

Full loot can prolong this a bit by giving purpose to extra equipment sets and the resources to produce them and revisiting earlier areas for lower sets, but it only prolongs so much and it isn't for everyone.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
for people more up to speed on the broader survival genre, what is the typical endgame situation for these sorts of games? i agree that currently things get quite dull at max level, which is why I'm personally a big fan of having servers be much more ephemeral, I think a 10-14 day reset period would be great at the current pace the game goes. But I have a feeling from reading discussion about the game that isn't what most people want so I'm curious what these games typically offer in that regard

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
While I don't have much experience in the newer survival crafter pvp games, I think the main end game goal in the genre is "beating" rival groups of jerks and having resource sinks either for coming back from losses quickly or for building bigger and more elaborate structures to show how much better your group is then the others mud shacks.

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014

Demon_Corsair posted:

With a bit of practise you can speedrun a good chunk of the way through progression before your pvp protection wears off, though on an established server there are going to be bigger fish around regardless.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If you want to get saucy you can go to brighthaven docks and smash crates for copper/iron/leather/glass/planks and don't even need to kill half of the early bosses because you have enough materials already.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Does anybody know how exactly gathering speed works? If I have, say, a coper mace and an iron axe, which is going to gather stone/ore faster?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Gathering speed is a function of your attack. That is, what each hit will spit out. Maces have a 25% bonus on top of that. Whack a rock with each weapon and see what gives more then use that. Of the same tier, maces will always give more.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I mean, yeah, but there are a lot of other factors at play too. Weapons have different attack speeds and damage per hit. Nodes give more resources per hit as they get damaged, and you can't see how damaged they are so that makes testing difficult. It's also rounding that damage number into a discreet number of resources, how that rounding is done could have a pretty significant impact.

Ideally you always have a full set of tools on you (or more realistically you just always have a mace because you spend a lot more time gathering stone, ore, and gems than other resource types) but working with limited crafting resources and limited inventory space is the game's whole deal.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
The 'unique' weapons that some bosses drop are very good at harvesting, even 1-2 tier forward. The hammer in particular just demolishes ore/stone nodes.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
A lot of the annoying poo poo in this game just exists to give players pvp targets. Restrictions on teleporting with resources and inventory management in castles are exclusively to add vulnerability. Having game systems be annoying to use just so somebody else gets the opportunity to kick down my sandcastle is a cardinal sin imo.

I like a lot of the aesthetic stuff in V Rising but without drastically opening up the building system (previously mentioned vertical castles would help here) it seems like the amount of enjoyment you can get out of it is around 2 weeks of group play while you tick off the checklist of bosses. The lack of large scale vanity projects or stuff to do in general at endgame is a huge hurdle.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Jorge Bell posted:

I like a lot of the aesthetic stuff in V Rising but without drastically opening up the building system (previously mentioned vertical castles would help here) it seems like the amount of enjoyment you can get out of it is around 2 weeks of group play while you tick off the checklist of bosses. The lack of large scale vanity projects or stuff to do in general at endgame is a huge hurdle.

Yeah I'm no veteran to the genre or anything but it seems like some other games get around it by making regular resets a norm. I think the separate systems for blueprint/world resets that Rust uses could make for an interesting V Rising server, although I'm not sure the capability currently exists for that.

Basically the world state and your research progress are on independent reset timers, set by the server owner-- everyone materially starts from scratch, say, every 14 days, but any recipes you've learned stay learned for let's say every 56 days. This makes it less intimidating for new players to jump in at the beginning of a new 14-day cycle, but also gives incentive for established players on a server to stick around, because even though they'll need high-level resources to craft the good poo poo, they can skip the step of learning how to make it. It definitely doesn't work 1:1 with V Rising given the main loop of beating bosses to learn recipes but I do think there's something to take home there with the balance between frequent resets and overall metaprogression. Obviously Rust also has many years of development to its advantage too and all that extra content adds more variety to the early game, making frequent resets feel less painful.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think it would help the experience if spells weren't tied to specific bosses because it makes the early game feel extremely samey in PvP and there is little reason to use most of the end game spells since they aren't any more powerful then what you found in the first half of the game.

Have bosses give me a point or two and let me put those points towards new skills to try out or even save up for a early ultimate so quincy speedrunners don't get to dominate with a 2:30 cooldown win button, collect the data of what % of the playerbase is rushing specific spells and which get ignored and balance accordingly.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

I've been playing solo on default settings, and I can tell the game has some real deep-seated problems. I can sum it up in two points: 1) the pve design and the pvp design are at odds with each other at every turn, and 2) while they seem to be aping Rust for the pvp side of things, they very clearly haven't actually learned anything from its design and are only copying a few surface details.

The PVP vs PVE friction can really be seen in things like the restrictions on teleportation, but what it really comes down to is that PVP is served by open, horizontal progression and having lots of ways to accomplish progression goals, while their PVE design relies on heavy, tiered vertical progression with dozens of linear bottlenecks for mandatory progression goals. One of Rust's strengths is that you can settle basically anywhere on a map, and no matter where you pick you will only very rarely have to travel outside your immediate area. V Rising requires you to visit basically every single major npc encampment, roughly in order, which makes the travel restrictions more and more painful as you progress.

Also, V's sheer reliance on having the player slaughter NPCs for loot and progression, along with steep crafting and research costs, means that pvp deaths in full loot mode are *incredibly* painful and take considerable effort or preparation to recover from. And on the flip side, winning pvp fights doesn't help you progress, rewarding only resources. Even if you play full loot, get lucky, and loot higher level gear you haven't unlocked yet, you still need to go out and do the pve to unlock it and the stuff leading up to it. There's just no equivalent to the Rust staple of pvping your way to gamechanging blueprints, or outplaying a better geared player and running their higher tier gun home to research it asap.

And like others have been talking about, it has and endgame problem of what to do after you've finished progressing. Because really what this game is, is a co-op pve game with full-loot open world pvp tacked onto it. The goal is to beat the final boss; the pvp is just another obstacle to make that harder and more exciting, not a goal and playstyle in and of itself.

So honestly, I'm not surprised the game has fallen off hard in popularity after only a month. They're going to have to make some real serious design changes if they want this game to have some lasting appeal. And to be fair, so did Rust (and it continues to), and it's a much improved game for it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The pve balance feels off as you get into the endgame too. The healing system in general in this game is really frustrating. It's already pretty limited, so I don't see why you have to have the additional failure of capping your max health lower as you take more damage. On top of just the sheer boss damage, this weird health capping just eliminates ever making melee viable. Like there should be way more life leech, especially on basic attacks, to reward you risking putting your rear end next to the boss, life leech I think being really thematic to being a vampire. Instead you just stay back, never stop moving, only cast spells. Playing with a friend, even just one, starts to get make things way harder too when the boss spawns in a ton of pretty dangerous adds. It feels bad in a game like this where I get most fun from playing with my friends, doing that is actually detrimental.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Eimi posted:

The pve balance feels off as you get into the endgame too. The healing system in general in this game is really frustrating. It's already pretty limited, so I don't see why you have to have the additional failure of capping your max health lower as you take more damage. On top of just the sheer boss damage, this weird health capping just eliminates ever making melee viable. Like there should be way more life leech, especially on basic attacks, to reward you risking putting your rear end next to the boss, life leech I think being really thematic to being a vampire. Instead you just stay back, never stop moving, only cast spells. Playing with a friend, even just one, starts to get make things way harder too when the boss spawns in a ton of pretty dangerous adds. It feels bad in a game like this where I get most fun from playing with my friends, doing that is actually detrimental.

wait playing in MP spawns more adds? The adds are usually what wipes me and my friend

I also noticed that once I got the crossbow some mobs became immediately easier, that's usually how I beat the last few hitpoints a boss has where I can't heal myself anymore, is just avoid all the attacks and plink the boss down, which is kind of annoying tbh

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The heal cap is both there for PvP so you can actually stick damage to people who make mistakes and so every boss doesn't have to be instant death to actually be threatening.

There is also bruiser for doing just what you want with lots of lifeleech and life-on-kill, if you don't think melee is viable try my personal favorite of power surge and purgatory, friends also make every boss easier because they can give you breathing room to fully heal up out of combat, though I still would prefer ranged against most of the bullet hell bosses with gigantic slams if you are close to them, but there are windows to get in close to most semi-safely.

Telarra posted:

I've been playing solo on default settings, and I can tell the game has some real deep-seated problems. I can sum it up in two points: 1) the pve design and the pvp design are at odds with each other at every turn, and 2) while they seem to be aping Rust for the pvp side of things, they very clearly haven't actually learned anything from its design and are only copying a few surface details.

The PVP vs PVE friction can really be seen in things like the restrictions on teleportation, but what it really comes down to is that PVP is served by open, horizontal progression and having lots of ways to accomplish progression goals, while their PVE design relies on heavy, tiered vertical progression with dozens of linear bottlenecks for mandatory progression goals. One of Rust's strengths is that you can settle basically anywhere on a map, and no matter where you pick you will only very rarely have to travel outside your immediate area. V Rising requires you to visit basically every single major npc encampment, roughly in order, which makes the travel restrictions more and more painful as you progress.

Also, V's sheer reliance on having the player slaughter NPCs for loot and progression, along with steep crafting and research costs, means that pvp deaths in full loot mode are *incredibly* painful and take considerable effort or preparation to recover from. And on the flip side, winning pvp fights doesn't help you progress, rewarding only resources. Even if you play full loot, get lucky, and loot higher level gear you haven't unlocked yet, you still need to go out and do the pve to unlock it and the stuff leading up to it. There's just no equivalent to the Rust staple of pvping your way to gamechanging blueprints, or outplaying a better geared player and running their higher tier gun home to research it asap.

And like others have been talking about, it has and endgame problem of what to do after you've finished progressing. Because really what this game is, is a co-op pve game with full-loot open world pvp tacked onto it. The goal is to beat the final boss; the pvp is just another obstacle to make that harder and more exciting, not a goal and playstyle in and of itself.

So honestly, I'm not surprised the game has fallen off hard in popularity after only a month. They're going to have to make some real serious design changes if they want this game to have some lasting appeal. And to be fair, so did Rust (and it continues to), and it's a much improved game for it.

Can agree with most of that, but would say that the game is underwhelming if you play solo and it feels much more empty as most of the map is filled with vacant parking lots of castle locations with no other purpose, I do think it was geared for PvP first and foremost with most of the design and their past game design experience of the game playing like a open world bloodline champions/battlerite.

I'd also say that the default settings need work but it's incredibly easy to tweak it into something more fun, I would never go below x2 loot for solo for example, it just gets too grindy by yourself since it's designed for multiple people working together on standard.

Playing on short-lived and quickly wiped PvP servers has been fun but the designers will have to give their game a hard look and decide the direction they want to take it and how to stop the fun dropping off a cliff once progression has ended and resources start not mattering as much.

Though I will say on the server I'm playing on I 100% felt that "linear bottleneck of progression" when I could not find a single merciless copper weapon to get iron and the guaranteed one from Clive on server launch was a battle royale of dozens of people constantly and since I couldn't ever catch anyone in the iron mines to snatch their iron I was stuck in copper tier for a very long time.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

iirc you can skip merc copper to mine iron by getting worker blood and the miner's mace (or tbh just take the ingots directly to forge your first iron), but yeah everything people are saying is p spot on

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Is my trio of vampires terrible at this game or is Polora the Feywalker really tough? We killed the big bear that’s 2 levels higher than her no problem, and everything before her easily too, but she’s kicking our asses.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Playing on short-lived and quickly wiped PvP servers

This is teh same reason I've never bothered to make a house in FF14 or whatever because I want to be able to build the house and come back to it in a year or two and have it still be there

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Torquemada posted:

Is my trio of vampires terrible at this game or is Polora the Feywalker really tough? We killed the big bear that’s 2 levels higher than her no problem, and everything before her easily too, but she’s kicking our asses.

Every boss is a huge pain when more than two people engage it. It’s kinda weird but if you do it in pairs or solo it’s way easier.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Polo specifically can be a huge pain for groups. She's one of the few that are 100% easier to solo since her poo poo is easy to dodge until there's multiple players and the fight becomes a bullet hell

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Her wolf if it hits anyone will start bouncing between players and pixies and instead of one at a time she will summon swarms of pixies which will make it hard to deal with as she will heal them and add even more projectiles to dodge.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There's another cheesy thing you can do with any boss in a group where if one of you dies, the rest can tread water with the boss until you respawn and walk your rear end back into the fight. I used this to great effect on the later bosses as a duo.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Her wolf if it hits anyone will start bouncing between players and pixies and instead of one at a time she will summon swarms of pixies which will make it hard to deal with as she will heal them and add even more projectiles to dodge.

I think her wolf bounces also heal herself. I swear I saw her go from near nead to like 25% life 4 times in the same solo fight, and her vanish-flee routine is really annoying. I only killed her the first time by abusing the chaos bolts pre-nerf, really. with a +magic potion and all.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
So forgive my ignorance, can just one of us do it and the other two can reap the benefits?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Polo specifically can be a huge pain for groups. She's one of the few that are 100% easier to solo since her poo poo is easy to dodge until there's multiple players and the fight becomes a bullet hell

lol that was the last fight I did 2P and those loving sprites were assholes

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Torquemada posted:

So forgive my ignorance, can just one of us do it and the other two can reap the benefits?

Yes. Just have everyone dive in and suck its blood while it is down.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

SettingSun posted:

Yes. Just have everyone dive in and suck its blood while it is down.

Clarification: one guy does the fight solo, when it’s down, the other two guys (who’ve been out of combat the whole time) can just come in and drink?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If all the players are in a clan together you can actually just be near-ish the boss when the v blood drain completes, even if they're dead on the ground. So if players A and B are roughly within a screen's distance of the boss but are currently dead on the ground, if player C is a clanmate and gets the boss kill player C can drain the V Blood and get it for everyone.

I first discovered this with Plague Rat when I summoned it in the castle and drained its blood near some clan coffins, and even though my mates were dead and offline they still got credit.