Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Ok, so go in one at a time with players one and two dying, and the third guy gets the kill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Torquemada posted:

Clarification: one guy does the fight solo, when it’s down, the other two guys (who’ve been out of combat the whole time) can just come in and drink?

correct, you don't even have to be in the same clan for this to work

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Anyone morbing tonight before the server goes out?

Crackerjack
Nov 7, 2004
crackalackin

Slippery Tilde
Last week or so Swamp Castle got an entirely unnecessary library and print house addition to the premises. It is small, but it is stacked with only the finest selection for the most sophisticated vampire bibliophage.

I was meaning to post this earlier, but uh--forgot.

Anyway, I'd like to note that stuffing 12 entire stacks of sawdust (which is the entirety of all sawdust produced from building a complete and fully furnished tier 4, 250 tile castle) into the paper maker yields about 220 sheets of paper. Not a very useful workstation to have around. Looks v. cool though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You probably mean bibliophile, but given vampires I can't rule out the possibility of a bibliophage.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Crackerjack posted:

Last week or so Swamp Castle got an entirely unnecessary library and print house addition to the premises. It is small, but it is stacked with only the finest selection for the most sophisticated vampire bibliophage.

I was meaning to post this earlier, but uh--forgot.

Anyway, I'd like to note that stuffing 12 entire stacks of sawdust (which is the entirety of all sawdust produced from building a complete and fully furnished tier 4, 250 tile castle) into the paper maker yields about 220 sheets of paper. Not a very useful workstation to have around. Looks v. cool though.

But that amounts to what, 22 scrolls? That's, like, almost a third of what you need to get a random blueprint!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

smdh if you aren't constantly raiding other bases for their sweet sweet sawdust

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The paper press is great for backfilling paper research if you did a 30 minute speedrun through farbane, never touch the scroll or schematics because the prices are wack and you kill so much more stuff in those tiers.

You probably want to grab as many guaranteed unlock through Clive/Armorer as you can in farbane and then just spam paper/sawdust to get it over with.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Even default settings I just went and got scrolls/schematics. Way more time efficient than trying to make them.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I don’t suppose you can transfer stuff between servers like you could in Valheim?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Torquemada posted:

I don’t suppose you can transfer stuff between servers like you could in Valheim?

Nope! New server new you.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Are people still playing? Is there a goon server up?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Getting around to trying this and I like it, playing solo with ResourcePowerModifier set to 3 because staring at the tree/rock harvest animation got old, but god drat there is a lot of inventory management bullshit in this game. Spending entire day/night cycle shuffling stacks of clutter from inventory to refinement thing to boxes. Constant mega tedious inventory management.
e: sounds like setting InventoryStacksModifier to 5 (so stacks of 2500?) is the thing to do?

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 4, 2022

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Yeah, if you just want to play a single player game tweaking everything to do with resources and inventory way easier is the way to go. The entire game is essentially balanced around opportunistic PVP. I'd also recommend turning on the ability to warp with resources.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
They also really should let you craft at the stations using materials that are in your storage chests. Hell, make it a special kind of chest.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Jackard posted:

During beta I kept telling them that inventory sucks, and to add a giant stash workshops can interact with, either one per heart or the heart itself, still leaving individual chests for avoiding automation or hiding loot or whatever. but no dice
so yea I guess what we got is really what they wanted to go with.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Sephyr posted:

They also really should let you craft at the stations using materials that are in your storage chests. Hell, make it a special kind of chest.

it's really bonkers that Bethesda of all developers figured this out and nobody else seems to have :shrug:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

i mean capcom has been using a giant, central stash in Monster Hunter for almost twenty years now

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I've never had a game go from "rad" to "bad" on me so quickly.

It's not really bad, of course. Just very niche. Made a hell of a first impression on me, though. Kudos to 'em.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I've never had a game go from "rad" to "bad" on me so quickly.

It's not really bad, of course. Just very niche. Made a hell of a first impression on me, though. Kudos to 'em.

I’m in the same boat - I think mostly because I wasn’t able to get friends to join along and there’s only so much fun to be had on solo PvP severs. There’s a great base game here with lots of cool mechanics, it just either needs a lot more love on the PVE side to make it satisfying as a survival/builder game or a lot more structure on the PVP side to make it work as a reset based tech rush / battle royale builder type thing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

seems like no replay value at all, I'm having some fun with it currently but I can already see I will not have any urge to replay it ever again :shrug:
e: having the pvp rely on a poo poo ton of pve grinding to enable it is a baffling design choice, especially with the "full looting" option or sieging enabled. like 1% of pvp gamers are interested in that combo.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Flesh Forge, this is exactly the same arrangement as Rust, which is one of the most popular reset based tech rush PVP survival games. It seems like a huge inspiration, to me at least.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I don't have any experience with Rust but this is from the previous page

Telarra posted:

The PVP vs PVE friction can really be seen in things like the restrictions on teleportation, but what it really comes down to is that PVP is served by open, horizontal progression and having lots of ways to accomplish progression goals, while their PVE design relies on heavy, tiered vertical progression with dozens of linear bottlenecks for mandatory progression goals. One of Rust's strengths is that you can settle basically anywhere on a map, and no matter where you pick you will only very rarely have to travel outside your immediate area. V Rising requires you to visit basically every single major npc encampment, roughly in order, which makes the travel restrictions more and more painful as you progress.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Yeah the main problem right now is that due to resource scarcity, repair costs and everything being in the same locations, there are very limited areas to build viable endgame castles and you always end up having the exact same bottlenecks.

The best spot on hot pvp servers is top left silverlight hills as you can easily make a double castle there with one acting as a wall and one acting as your actual base. Youll have a little more trouble accessing cursed forest resources, but going through the cave to Dunley still means you've got a relatively short distance to cover. Youll easily be able to loot Brighthaven for everything you need except cursed forest stuff. You will need to be a little creative to get scourgestones as well.

Second best spots is anywhere in Dunley near the cave exit from the cursed forest on the top left, as it offers a good compromise between access to cursed forest resources (scales, silk, pristine leather, ghost crystals, ghost mushrooms) and silverlight stuff (golden jewellry, schematics, highland lotus, silver)
Those spots in dunley also have easy access to the Dunley Monastery run where you just go in and loot the three stone coffins for easy 4-5 scourgestones over and over.

Any other spot is gonna be rough and make you way more vulnerable to ganks until you can grind enough gear to get servants up and running to do the farming for you. They decided to concentrate resources and incentivize farming like this to force players to keep fighting each other endgame, I think, but it makes the game feel chorelike and predictable and even on active pvp servers, clans that lose the scramble for the best spots are far more likely to just quit and reroll.

I dunno how they're gonna "fix" that honestly, it's why the game cannot be compared to Rust in its current form. And the decision to put 6 hour siege windows as default settings is just completely insane

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
What's the best setup to fight the super bear? Both times I've made an attempt her melee attack covers too large an area to dodge without using my dash. Her hits go through my block/counter ability too. Just crossbow plinking and whatever spell I've got?

Should I be dodging by running past/behind her while she's winding up?

Edit: I've got an iron axe and mace, everything else is copper/copper+ grade (merciless?)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Molybdenum posted:

What's the best setup to fight the super bear? Both times I've made an attempt her melee attack covers too large an area to dodge without using my dash. Her hits go through my block/counter ability too. Just crossbow plinking and whatever spell I've got?

Should I be dodging by running past/behind her while she's winding up?

Edit: I've got an iron axe and mace, everything else is copper/copper+ grade (merciless?)

That bear morbed me so hard.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Play the keep away game with the crossbow or munch on a valuable animal to get a speed buff which might give you enough speed to outrun its attacks. Use potions and the like if you aren't as they make a notable difference. Also the reward isn't critical so you can save the fight for when you have better gear.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Yeah I've gotten a few V bloods from the farmland area (noped away from the winter land ogre when I saw his first attack) and they haven't been too crazy.

The iron mine lady I just ran from or kited her into skeletons so I could mine in peace.

Hoping to actually spend some silver coins / sell valuables now that I have human form.

I'll leave the bear alone for now.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You can probably tank through the fight with the next set of armor too now that I think about it.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
If I build castle heart #2, am I able to have a second set of servants there?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah they are linked to the heart.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Say, is there a trick to finding 100% bloods?

I feel like I've cruised all over every corner of the map and never see anything above 85% or so.
Well, other than creatures. I keep finding 100% creature blood. Which can't be caged, of course.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Nah you just have to get lucky. Going to high density areas in the third zone is probably the best chance you're going to have to find them.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

SettingSun posted:

Nah you just have to get lucky. Going to high density areas in the third zone is probably the best chance you're going to have to find them.

I guess the spawn rate is a LOT lower than I expected. Ah well. Thanks.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CaptainCrunch posted:

I guess the spawn rate is a LOT lower than I expected. Ah well. Thanks.

The secret is to murder anything that isn't 100% to force it to respawn, which will reroll their blood

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

IcePhoenix posted:

The secret is to murder anything that isn't 100% to force it to respawn, which will reroll their blood

The streets will run red.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Reviving this thread because the latest dev blog is actually quite interesting:

https://blog.stunlock.com/dev-update-17-dark-magic-designs/

They outline some major changes to the spell and equipment systems coming in May - a new spell school and new spells for existing schools, and Jewelry which has random bonuses for you to slot into abilities to grant them unique effects. I know a lack of gear customization was a big gripe for people, hopefully this adds some more options there.

There's also an experimental feature they're adding that basically divides the map up into predetermined mini-zones and owning one lets you build anywhere within it. This would be replacing the current system of base-building, where you're able to basically build in any place or shape you want. Presumably this will address a few issues with people using bases to block areas or other weirdness, but obviously it comes at the cost of less customization. They say they're looking for feedback about whether this is any good so who knows if it'll stick around.

Sounds like the full release is slated for 2024, and this patch is considered the first "free expansion". Oh, and it'll let you build multiple floors in your castle.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Multiple story castles and more room in "the good spots" is a great change, I still feel like the spell system is too limited even with those changes though, the main problem is it had terrible replayability because you always unlocked everything in the exact same order and there were certain points where you unlocked "the good poo poo" and had a massive advantage over anyone who didn't get a chance to do the bosses yet, such as chaos shield.

Also felt like 2 normal spells was way too limiting in variety, I mostly ran around with purgatory for the AoE heal/damage and a shield spell and could be nearly immortal in PvE and extremely frustrating to damage in PvP.

If they just gave you "spell school points" for a boss kill and let you choose the order to unlock things I feel that would be a better system for replaying it over and over.

Game was still a good distraction when I played it last year but as mentioned by earlier posters it ran into problems with it's systems that killed off pvp servers after only a week or two of play and could drive off players at the launch of the server just because they didn't get one of their preferred building spots.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I've been watching a V Rising "tournament" this weekend it's gotten me interested in playing again. Been pretty fun and in the next couple weeks they are gonna do a bigger tournament ($500) that will be real fun to watch. It's hosted by a guy named SoBadStrange, who usually does Dark and Darker content.

If anyone wants to watch the finals, it's about to start in about an hour. That's when the siege window opens and the team holding shards get $50/shard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You got a link? I'd be interested.