Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

Torquemada posted:

My only previous experience with survival games is Valheim, I’m surprised how much more stuff there is in this one for the same price point. Valheim was pretty chill and the base building was really excellent, but the combat in this one is leaps and bounds above it, and the %blood thing keeps you looking even at low level dudes at least early on. Gear variety is also spot on.

Sorry, I do kind of agree with you but in both Valheim and V Rising there is zero gear variety at launch (valheim is just recently introducing sidegrades at certain tiers). If you're not killing skeletons with a reaper or bears with a spear you are Playing Wrong. The powers are the only breadth V Rising has at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Movesets are neat but, and this may be a playstyle thing, 90% of my damage comes from spells every time, because the healing in this game is slow and requires opportunity (and/or blood), so not getting hit is always better than pumping out an extra couple of melee hits. Between stuns, swarms of enemies, or just overwhelming damage from bosses, melee slugfests always end up way worse for the vampire in PVE.

Right now weapons just feel like you're using a melee (flavor of choice, optional ranged attack) or a crossbow. Armor is a completely linear system, outside of the bonuses from spell sources (which I'll grant are more than useless, if not fully "build" differentiating). Neither of those really scream variety to me. Maybe it's because I can ignore the granular differences since I haven't played PVP.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
A lot of the annoying poo poo in this game just exists to give players pvp targets. Restrictions on teleporting with resources and inventory management in castles are exclusively to add vulnerability. Having game systems be annoying to use just so somebody else gets the opportunity to kick down my sandcastle is a cardinal sin imo.

I like a lot of the aesthetic stuff in V Rising but without drastically opening up the building system (previously mentioned vertical castles would help here) it seems like the amount of enjoyment you can get out of it is around 2 weeks of group play while you tick off the checklist of bosses. The lack of large scale vanity projects or stuff to do in general at endgame is a huge hurdle.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Yeah, if you just want to play a single player game tweaking everything to do with resources and inventory way easier is the way to go. The entire game is essentially balanced around opportunistic PVP. I'd also recommend turning on the ability to warp with resources.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Flesh Forge, this is exactly the same arrangement as Rust, which is one of the most popular reset based tech rush PVP survival games. It seems like a huge inspiration, to me at least.