Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
After loving around through tier 1 on a PVE server I moved to a solo PvP / no raid server and seems fun. I’ll probably have to go back to PVE to learn more of the T2/T3 tech stuff, but I felt like the end of T1 gives you a pretty good idea of the gameplay loop.

No raid and no full loot seems like it still offers some pretty solid guardrails while still also allowing for PVP action, which seems pretty core to the games design.

My biggest complaint about the game so far is the usual survival crafting game stuff. Playing chest sorting management is not fun - it’s cool to set up the base, but then having to run around to every chest to deposit or withdraw materials sucks. They’re really close with the compulsory sort button, they just need to make it global for the whole castle and allow crafting benches to pull from any storage close by.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I haven’t hosed around with servants yet, and maybe that’s what I’m missing, but I definitely feel the grind hitting even as early the end of T1. There have been a handful of bosses too difficult for me to solo without having to do the “clear low level bandit camps a bunch so I can get more paper and books for research and hopefully get a weapon or armor recipe.” Part of this is also my fault for playing on a PvP sever where I feel like I need to be able to comfortably clear an area, not just scrape by, so I’m not entirely disadvantaged if someone comes through to gank.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Hardcore or regular PVP? I just switched to regular PVP and it's sooo fast to level up. Don't even focus on a castle beyond a place to log for the night. There are so many raided castles that haven't decayed yet so you can use all of their benches. Dawnthorn is super simple to farm if you don't need to deal with all the castle stuff beforehand.

That’s a great idea - my current bottleneck on this server was Quincey/Nicholas for their respective crafting benches, but just piggybacking on someone else’s may work great. It’s not an issue getting the materials to perform the actual crafts, it’s really just getting the paper RNG to unlock the recipes. Probably a lot easier to just skip the rest of T1 once you get a weapon that can mine iron.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Holy poo poo garlic is such an unfun mechanic. Stacks up to 100, drops off super slow, doesn’t reset when you die, doesn’t decay when your character isn’t online. Are the resistance items actually worth using? Do they somehow prevent the buildup or do they just nullify a certain amount of stacks?

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I’m still finding the RNG aspect of research pretty meh. I think it would be a better system if they somehow split out the weapon/armor/jewelry upgrades from the building upgrades - it kinda sucks to play the “well I want to finish T2 but I need a weapon research, so I grind for scrolls but keep getting storage unlocks” game. Maybe this would require some rebalancing but I think it would be a more rewarding grind if I knew that once I collected enough widgets to get a gear upgrade, I would actually get one.

My other nitpick is with the multiplayer map - I wish it recorded base owner names based on when you last saw them! It would be helpful to be able to track who lives where on a PvP server without needing to open up paint and make custom markup on the map.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 14, 2022

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

T1 research isn't too bad if you just grind scrolls until you get the paper mill for all that useless sawdust, problem is after that the papermill is literally worthless due to the insane cost of turning everything to the next tier using none-useless ingredients.

Feels bad if you got to go long without those 25% discounts or a merciless weapon though, especially since there is so much cosmetic filler mixed in.

I think the problem with this is that the boss that unlocks the paper -> scroll conversion is like 60+, so you probably need a decent amount of T2 progress to get there. The paper mill feels more like a “wrap up a previous tiers” and not really a way to progress through your current tier

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Aren’t they selling DLC or cosmetics or something? Valheim had none of that so there was no immediate need for them to maintain engaged players. Would love to see this game get more support than “we bought an office pony”.

I love valheim, but it’s a great example of a game that captured a huge audience and then immediately lost it due to early access things. I’m sure a lot will come back for content releases, I def will at a certain point, but it will probably never recapture that initial interest. It sucks to play a game that is so loving good but is so clearly unfinished with no sense of the developers attempting to bridge that gap.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 14, 2022

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

IcePhoenix posted:

any system where pvp balance starts to effect pve is garbage

Why wouldn’t you want to balance this game around the PVP? The building and PVE is serviceable, but it is absolutely not the main draw here. If you think of Vrising as a hybrid between Rust and Valheim, it definitely leans more toward the Rust side of things where the PVE systems serve the PvP environment, not the other way around.

Especially when the balance changes are basically just small numbers tweaks, it seems like a (somewhat entitled) knee jerk reaction.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I've never had a game go from "rad" to "bad" on me so quickly.

It's not really bad, of course. Just very niche. Made a hell of a first impression on me, though. Kudos to 'em.

I’m in the same boat - I think mostly because I wasn’t able to get friends to join along and there’s only so much fun to be had on solo PvP severs. There’s a great base game here with lots of cool mechanics, it just either needs a lot more love on the PVE side to make it satisfying as a survival/builder game or a lot more structure on the PVP side to make it work as a reset based tech rush / battle royale builder type thing.