Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Giving the game a go and giving it a try solo with x5 loot settings to learn the ropes, got some questions.

If I wanted to get a friend to try a duo pvp server, what would be a good way to find a decent server?

Are your characters bound to a specific server or game type or can you server hop? how do the large servers work with this game and setting up castles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So the tombs you can build can spawn undead, could you build tombs along nearby roads and spawn high level undead to kill patrols and/or players in newbie land?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I mean I gotta be honest, my #1 gripe with the game right now is the sheer amount of time-waster mechanics that provide no fun but are still inexplicably still in the game:
  • 1 Can't teleport with resources, even on PvE servers, with default settings (which means this is what every public server uses)
  • 2 Very easily get knocked off horses if an NPC archer so much as farts in your direction
  • 3 Sunlight is basically an "okay now stop playing the game for 10 minutes for no reason" switch with no compelling gameplay associated with it, and which also occasionally randomly wrecks a boss fight
  • 4 Garlic is the same, except the switch is 30 minutes and progress is gated behind shoving your rear end full of garlic repeatedly to get enough cotton
  • 5 Higher tier crafting times are several minutes long for no reason. What fun is derived from it taking 10 minutes to craft a bar of gold?
  • 6 Servants randomly get injured by missions, making them unavailable for up to 8 hours (!?) at which point you're better off just mercy-killing the guy and getting a new one since there's nothing persistent about them that matters
  • 7 No unified inventory in your base, so you spend an inordinate amount of time sorting inventory items into chests or getting them out of chests just to build or craft stuff
Sometimes when something in a videogame takes time or seems a bit obtuse it's because there's some mechanic or balancing decision that hinges on it, but I just don't understand why these mechanics are like this.

I've had the game for 3 days now and finishing up zone 2, 1 day on a singleplayer world with x5 resources and then on a solo pvp server with x2 resources, but I think I can answer some of these.

1: The default settings are underwhelming and expect you to have a full group working together to get stuff, find some custom servers or edit your own world for a vastly improved experience, that's why they let you mod these settings so heavily and easily.
2: Serpentine!
3: Sunlight isn't that hard to deal with when traveling if you dart between shadows and can be interesting to be forced to fight in the shade, but it can turn big open and barren human settlements into off-limit areas for a time.
4: Bear form has garlic resistance and will drop the stacks faster, also consider brewing the potion if you know you want to visit some human settlements.
5: Build multiple refiners, two refiners are double the production of just one, I try to have two minimum of anything that takes awhile to refine things and four or more for things you can need to refine thousands of for hours like ores.
6: Rolling the dice on that 20% injury chance sucks, but the returns are really huge.
7: Yeah, hard agree, the game could be vastly improved if you could build a mid-game chest sorter or if you are the sole owner of the castle you could pull from every chest in the castle when going to make things at a crafting station, only thing I can recommend is keep getting paper for the research table so you can unlock the compact bookshelves with 4 rows of storage and setup a area where you can just "dump" all of your random junk you got adventuring and organize it later.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
And with my 3 days of experience, if I had to do it over again and try to speedrun the early game I'd probably just setup a shanty castle in the northern/central newbie forest for basic storage and crafting and hard rush towards unlocking iron and making a real base in the farmlands, right now I sort of want to relocate everything from newbie forest to the farmland and it's a lot of trips without being able to waypoint with resources.

Do consider leaving some servants behind to run errands in the previous zones since they can bring back so much.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

So, I pressed the randomize name button a lot and after getting Moe, Barney, Seymour and finally BORT I knew I had to finish the set.

With the final servants I added in Lisa and Maggie, Maggie of course gets a crossbow.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Hmm, realizing as I log into a empty castle that maybe doing a PvP server start was the wrong call when I can't consistently be around for the raid window.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 11, 2022

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If I do another playthrough after a update and started fresh on a server I'd probably rush to start a castle here right above the farmland monastery.

Has scarecrow spawns which drop scourgestones and it's right next door to the monastery which is the best place to farm crypts for scourgestones and it's abundant quartz, which you can then turn into more scourgestones in your forge. Scourgestones.

On top of the abundant scourgestones it is a very convenient location for going to both silverlight hills and the cursed forest with that cave exit right above the location.
I'd rate it pretty close to the castle spots above brighthaven for convenience though it has less overall space to work with, especially if you can build 2 castles next to each other on the server.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I do wish there were more spell slots available, 2 feels a bit limiting for build variety, especially with how chaos volley beats out most of the other options.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I felt that way too until I started using Chaos Volley and Sanguine Coil. Then the game just kind of rolled over and died. I chose the big blood laser for my ultimate, that was neat to use once a fight.

That was my exact loadout for just rolling over the game, especially with high % scholar letting you get cooldown resets which meant you almost never had downtime casting stuff.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

causticBeet posted:

My other nitpick is with the multiplayer map - I wish it recorded base owner names based on when you last saw them! It would be helpful to be able to track who lives where on a PvP server without needing to open up paint and make custom markup on the map.

Agreed, I'd like the ingame map to reflect who I've discovered where.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
T1 research isn't too bad if you just grind scrolls until you get the paper mill for all that useless sawdust, problem is after that the papermill is literally worthless due to the insane cost of turning everything to the next tier using none-useless ingredients.

Feels bad if you got to go long without those 25% discounts or a merciless weapon though, especially since there is so much cosmetic filler mixed in.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's only worth turning otherwise useless sawdust into paper to finish up the T1 tech, everything after that is absurdly expensive and requires materials with actual purpose to them.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm hoping they keep working on the game after this initial success, getting the feeling that Q1-Q2 is around the time people are hungry for a new survival crafter with a gimmick, would hate to see development go to a glacial pace like valheim and we won't see the snowy mountains finished for 2+ years.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So is most of the thread playing solo/online PvE, PvP or full loot PvP?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think with a few tweaks the game could be much improved from what it is currently.
  • Bone weapons start with Q, copper weapons have Q and E

• V blood kills let you unlock a spell of your choice at the blood altar, opening up more early game build variety

• Workstations are upgraded like castle hearts instead of multiple varieties of the same thing that get obsolete as you go up tiers

• Research always unlocks cosmetic-only parts last and is specifically all put into a "cosmetic" category, separate from special floors and storage bins, or let's you choose.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Least you weren't like me and put in enough resources to summon 4 of them at the same time.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The 30% horse damage nerf won't stop people using it for the real reason they used it, because it's the only way to safely dance around most enemy attacks without having to expend cooldowns constantly and getting smacked when your spells are on cooldown.

Some good minor number tweaks though.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If playing singleplayer remember you can change a whole lot of settings, you could increase drops and refine times by x5 and also cut boss health or damage by half if you'd have more fun that way, though I find if the bosses are hard you'll actually experiment with skills and when to use the reflect barriers to chunk a boss during it's bullet hell move.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Devs had a interview recently where they talked about what they plan for the future like adding new weapons like a greatsword or figuring out what they want the replayability of the endgame to be and dracula's castle.

Main thing that interests me was that they said they were looking into allowing players to make multiple floor vertical castles instead of wide castles which I think would solve the majority of issues with castle building currently, going tall instead of wide would let the map have more space for more players, it would look less dumb and boxy from a aerial view and it would probably make PvP more interesting if you had to castlevania your way up to the top, plus it would be more fun to jump off the top ledge or bat form in and out.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Game's main problem is once you beat every boss and researched everything there really isn't much else to do besides hoard resources you don't need more of or slaughter brighthaven while looking for a few percentage point higher servants.

Full loot can prolong this a bit by giving purpose to extra equipment sets and the resources to produce them and revisiting earlier areas for lower sets, but it only prolongs so much and it isn't for everyone.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
While I don't have much experience in the newer survival crafter pvp games, I think the main end game goal in the genre is "beating" rival groups of jerks and having resource sinks either for coming back from losses quickly or for building bigger and more elaborate structures to show how much better your group is then the others mud shacks.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If you want to get saucy you can go to brighthaven docks and smash crates for copper/iron/leather/glass/planks and don't even need to kill half of the early bosses because you have enough materials already.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think it would help the experience if spells weren't tied to specific bosses because it makes the early game feel extremely samey in PvP and there is little reason to use most of the end game spells since they aren't any more powerful then what you found in the first half of the game.

Have bosses give me a point or two and let me put those points towards new skills to try out or even save up for a early ultimate so quincy speedrunners don't get to dominate with a 2:30 cooldown win button, collect the data of what % of the playerbase is rushing specific spells and which get ignored and balance accordingly.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The heal cap is both there for PvP so you can actually stick damage to people who make mistakes and so every boss doesn't have to be instant death to actually be threatening.

There is also bruiser for doing just what you want with lots of lifeleech and life-on-kill, if you don't think melee is viable try my personal favorite of power surge and purgatory, friends also make every boss easier because they can give you breathing room to fully heal up out of combat, though I still would prefer ranged against most of the bullet hell bosses with gigantic slams if you are close to them, but there are windows to get in close to most semi-safely.

Telarra posted:

I've been playing solo on default settings, and I can tell the game has some real deep-seated problems. I can sum it up in two points: 1) the pve design and the pvp design are at odds with each other at every turn, and 2) while they seem to be aping Rust for the pvp side of things, they very clearly haven't actually learned anything from its design and are only copying a few surface details.

The PVP vs PVE friction can really be seen in things like the restrictions on teleportation, but what it really comes down to is that PVP is served by open, horizontal progression and having lots of ways to accomplish progression goals, while their PVE design relies on heavy, tiered vertical progression with dozens of linear bottlenecks for mandatory progression goals. One of Rust's strengths is that you can settle basically anywhere on a map, and no matter where you pick you will only very rarely have to travel outside your immediate area. V Rising requires you to visit basically every single major npc encampment, roughly in order, which makes the travel restrictions more and more painful as you progress.

Also, V's sheer reliance on having the player slaughter NPCs for loot and progression, along with steep crafting and research costs, means that pvp deaths in full loot mode are *incredibly* painful and take considerable effort or preparation to recover from. And on the flip side, winning pvp fights doesn't help you progress, rewarding only resources. Even if you play full loot, get lucky, and loot higher level gear you haven't unlocked yet, you still need to go out and do the pve to unlock it and the stuff leading up to it. There's just no equivalent to the Rust staple of pvping your way to gamechanging blueprints, or outplaying a better geared player and running their higher tier gun home to research it asap.

And like others have been talking about, it has and endgame problem of what to do after you've finished progressing. Because really what this game is, is a co-op pve game with full-loot open world pvp tacked onto it. The goal is to beat the final boss; the pvp is just another obstacle to make that harder and more exciting, not a goal and playstyle in and of itself.

So honestly, I'm not surprised the game has fallen off hard in popularity after only a month. They're going to have to make some real serious design changes if they want this game to have some lasting appeal. And to be fair, so did Rust (and it continues to), and it's a much improved game for it.

Can agree with most of that, but would say that the game is underwhelming if you play solo and it feels much more empty as most of the map is filled with vacant parking lots of castle locations with no other purpose, I do think it was geared for PvP first and foremost with most of the design and their past game design experience of the game playing like a open world bloodline champions/battlerite.

I'd also say that the default settings need work but it's incredibly easy to tweak it into something more fun, I would never go below x2 loot for solo for example, it just gets too grindy by yourself since it's designed for multiple people working together on standard.

Playing on short-lived and quickly wiped PvP servers has been fun but the designers will have to give their game a hard look and decide the direction they want to take it and how to stop the fun dropping off a cliff once progression has ended and resources start not mattering as much.

Though I will say on the server I'm playing on I 100% felt that "linear bottleneck of progression" when I could not find a single merciless copper weapon to get iron and the guaranteed one from Clive on server launch was a battle royale of dozens of people constantly and since I couldn't ever catch anyone in the iron mines to snatch their iron I was stuck in copper tier for a very long time.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Her wolf if it hits anyone will start bouncing between players and pixies and instead of one at a time she will summon swarms of pixies which will make it hard to deal with as she will heal them and add even more projectiles to dodge.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The paper press is great for backfilling paper research if you did a 30 minute speedrun through farbane, never touch the scroll or schematics because the prices are wack and you kill so much more stuff in those tiers.

You probably want to grab as many guaranteed unlock through Clive/Armorer as you can in farbane and then just spam paper/sawdust to get it over with.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Multiple story castles and more room in "the good spots" is a great change, I still feel like the spell system is too limited even with those changes though, the main problem is it had terrible replayability because you always unlocked everything in the exact same order and there were certain points where you unlocked "the good poo poo" and had a massive advantage over anyone who didn't get a chance to do the bosses yet, such as chaos shield.

Also felt like 2 normal spells was way too limiting in variety, I mostly ran around with purgatory for the AoE heal/damage and a shield spell and could be nearly immortal in PvE and extremely frustrating to damage in PvP.

If they just gave you "spell school points" for a boss kill and let you choose the order to unlock things I feel that would be a better system for replaying it over and over.

Game was still a good distraction when I played it last year but as mentioned by earlier posters it ran into problems with it's systems that killed off pvp servers after only a week or two of play and could drive off players at the launch of the server just because they didn't get one of their preferred building spots.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I enjoyed my time with the game when it came out, vertical castles were necessary going forward, glad to see the dev's didn't abandon the game after plopping it out.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The PvP servers were fun for a brief time, but you had to A: get in the minute it launched so you didn't just get camped by the people who beat the first zone's boss and had a elite skill and more weapon skills and B: snatch up a home plot in good territory before someone else did or you'd end up crowded out by everyone else or forced to go settle somewhere that's 20 minutes away from anything relevant.

And then the server would die in under a week because there was nothing more to do once you did it all.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Too many other good game releases for me to check this out immediately, but I really love the look of the new castles, it might really elevate base design from just big honeycomb boxes into multi-floor honeycomb boxes.

Wonder how many floors they will let you build and if they changed up where you could place castles and how much space they take up to compensate the height added and if you could make bat-entries.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 15, 2023

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Patch notes all look great and extensive and will really shake up the game, the castle changes in particular are absolutely massive and removing the intentional or unintentional griefing of blocking other players in while trying to landgrab at server launch, which also caused a lot of players to quit because literally every location got grabbed.

https://mapgenie.io/v-rising/maps/vardoran has the new map already, I think unless they added new caves to gloombane then left farbane/upper dunsley will still be the most convenient castle locations to have due to easy access to returning from farming high level areas from caves.

I think my ideal server would probably be no-raid since it was annoying to feel forced to be around to prevent being raided and if someone got offline raided that was a major quitting point and drained server population fast.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 18, 2023

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So all they have left to do is fully finish the ice mountain biome, dracula's castle for the final-final boss area filled with malnourished vampires and maybe another half of cursed forest and the game is 1.0 ready to launch pretty much?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
For castle spots I think anything on the upper left side of farbane is going to be really good, easy access to silverlight, return route cave from cursed forest, straight road towards the dunley monastery, close to new merchants and new cave exit from gloomrot.

Anyone else have some favorite and convenient locations?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Right farbane at least has a good return route cave from silverlight near the bear cave.

Dunley monastery is still the best place for scourgestone farming though yeah?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 21, 2023

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

I found out that even for pvp, blood rage + power surge, while sounds idiotic in theory cause you have no source of full damage blocking or offensive spells, is actually really strong. And you can roll a weak shield (up to 90% spellpower) on both through skill jewels, and a self dispel on power surge, and fading snare on blood rage. With all of that it's nearly impossible for someone to get away if you are on top of them. I like using the storm dash too since it can roll a ministun and further increases your attack speed.

Barriers, shields, poke spells and counters sound like a requirement for pvp but turns out moving more than twice as fast as every other player is actually insane. Get ganked? Swap to slashers and add another 25% haste AND invisibility on top of the other bullshit. Cya

And power surge can be cast on friendlies, blood rage is an aoe buff, which really helps seal the deal for me. Had a blast pvping with this build so far and lets you farm really easily too.

Last time I played I was a big fan of the buffs and healing, yeah, I could just play frame perfect 100% of the time and counter/dodge everything thrown at me, or I could just negate the majority of the damage that comes my way and heal up at the first sign of health damage taken and just let the weapon skills do the talking.

Question about spell jewels, do they drop in full loot pvp?

Also some googling around and I found this list of all the spell jewel effects if that interests anyone, the wiki was no help.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NG-vM4FpJka4ZaK7EJtCUti_JfxEELroDewJnZ-mFJU/edit#gid=0

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 26, 2023

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I imagine the spell jewels and added value to more materials will probably make servers last a little longer before being abandoned.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Do we know what is coming besides a spell overhaul, shards turned into amulets, being able to move castles easier, hallowed mountain finished and the big D?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 13, 2024

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
One of the devblog things I dug up talked a lot about the mountains and a new faction there, so I imagine they will be finished for release.

Main thing I'm looking forward to (and that I wanted them to implement ever since I first played) and I think will vastly increase the replayability for people who play over and over on freshly wiped servers is that bosses will no longer have spell unlocks attached to them, instead you get a tier 1-2-3 spellschool point that you can use to unlock any spell from that school in that tier, no more everyone using the exact same loadout because it's the best of what everyone has available for the first 50% of the game and maybe lightning spells will be available before gloomrot.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I mainly see that a problem if say, the first T1 unholy boss is at level 10 and the next one is at level 30 a long time later and only one out of the choices is clearly the best one by a mile, or if two of those spells in the same school combo real well but have that long time gap between them.

They specifically call out merciless charge being the default for everyone for so long.

I didn't know servers got a randomizer unlock mod, that's a good idea too until the final boss is gatekeeping your favorite spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Are there any popular pvp servers these days? I think something without castle raids would be ideal.