Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Growing up as a Yooper, I've seen, hiked through, swam at and got drunk in many of Michigan's 101 state parks. I would go bird hunting on the road out to Michigan’s most remote state park (Craig Lake) and look out across the water to Van Riper State Park, occasionally pulling the boat up to the sandy beach to get ice cream from some teen with a seasonal job. Many of my formative memories are associated with the public areas of my state.

It wasn’t until late 2021 that my wife and I, having hit three parks in a summer, decided that we’d like to see them all. Now based in Lansing, we were centrally located for most parks in the Lower Peninsula. Our rules were simple: camp at every State Park and State Recreation Area that allows it. We must stay at least one night, and it has to have been together, so no childhood trips or places close to home that the other hasn’t been to. This thread will be a rolling review of each State Park that we visit. If we average about five parks a year, then we’ve got the next twenty years booked.

We will eventually visit every place marked with a conifer

Here is a high-res image of the official DNR Parks map, posted by Bagmonkey, prolific Michigan Camper™

In each main-body post I will outline (some of) these items:
  • Sites – What are the actual camp sites like? Do they have power, water, sewage? Are they all paved? Are there green spaces for tents? Do sections of the camping area get soggy?
  • Facilities – Are the bathrooms, showers, vault toilets, or any other facilities clean? Up to date? In poor condition? Does the water taste funny?
  • Amenities – What other items does the campground offer? Cabins, trails, playgrounds, disc golf courses, kayak rentals, fishing platforms, historic centers, hunting grounds, dark sky preserves, beaches, etc.
  • The Area – Where is the park located? Is it hard to get to? Are there things to do in neighboring cities, towns or villages that we participated in? How remote is this place?
  • Warnings – Is this park alcohol-free? Dog friendly? A mosquito habitat? Near a noisy area like a freeway or army base? Does this place have cell service?
  • Who is it best for? – Is the park well-suited for tent campers, RVs, hike-in campers, hammock campers, mountain bikers, horse riders, kayakers, fishermen, hunters, trail hikers, etc? Is it suited for a certain time of year?

My wife and I are dedicated tent campers, which is an exceedingly rare breed nowadays. We will often opt for rustic camping if it’s available (no electric, communal water, etc.). Unfortunately you won’t receive dedicated RV camping tips, like “will a 44 foot goose neck fit in spot 104,” but everything will be generally applicable, albeit tent-focused. As of writing this OP we have not done any hike-in camping at a State Park, though we plan to in the future. We are also looking into renting cabins at some of the parks we will visit, something neither of us has done before. We normally try to hit at least three miles of trails at each park, so expect lots of :words: about the condition of the trails and what they’re best suited for.

We will also be taking advantage of Michigan’s six months of winter to do some winter camping, as we have a hot tent and stove setup. Right now our gear is set up for car camping and winter camping foremost, but we will slowly acquire more hike-in camping gear in the future.

Three guesses why Lake Ontario isn't pictured here

Finally, a small warning: Some of our trips previous to 2022 weren’t well-documented, and depending on the weather, some of our future trips might not be either. If it’s raining the whole time, we probably won’t be able to get to the trails as much or even see the lakes in the manner we’d like to. That’s Michigan weather for ya.

I invite all of you to come along on this stupid, beautiful journey.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Before we get too far, it wouldn't be TGO if we didn't spend some time talking about gear. I’ll give a quick breakdown of our current car-camping setup.

• Tent – We have a Nortent Gamme 6, a genius piece of engineering that is basically a floorless shell that our “inner” tent attaches to. It comes with a stove-jack, so we can have hot meals and toasty toes on even the coldest nights.
  • Stove – Gstove Heat View. A stainless steel wood burning stove that packs compactly. It’s not exactly light, but its well-engineered and manufactured, so it burns very efficiently. We don’t bring this during the summer.

Here you can see our Gstove and how it sits within the Nortent. This is a dry-run in the yard. The Inner isn't shown in this picture.
  • Sleep System – We have a set of Marchway Ultralight Cots, some REI sleep pads, and some Thermarest compressible pillows. This is an area we will upgrade soon as we acquire higher r-value sleep pads and dedicated winter sleeping bags.
  • Cooking – An electric griddle and a Coleman stove cover pretty much all of our needs when car-camping. We bring a small folding table as well. Our flatware is all thrift-store bought, but we have a GSI Outdoors metal plate/bowl/mug set for eating off of. Our cooking items are all stowed in a compact Stanley Even-Heat Camp Pro setup, with a large stock pot, a sauce pot, and a frying pan. It’s all stainless steel, so it cooks well and heats evenly, and we don’t have to worry about scratching off non-stick PFAS or rust.
  • Chairs – GCI Outdoor Freestyle Rocker. Throw your lovely chair away and get one of these, they’re a game changer.
  • Vehicle – We have a 2014 Jeep Cherokee, so we have to pack relatively light by necessity. It’s not a big car, but it’s got roof racks for kayaks should we need em and 4 wheel drive if necessary. On an average trip this thing is packed to the brim, cause car camping is all about luxury.
  • Miscellany – We bring two pop up canopies and stick em together, throwing walls and a screen on em so they’re a big enclosed area should the weather turn to poo poo. We also have collapsible recycling and trash cans, which are more of a necessity than you’d think.

This is a typical setup for us, showing our canopies and tents. Unfortunately some sites don't have this much space

The list is always changing and evolving, so expect an update if we find something cool and useful. Feel free to ask questions about anything we’re using or how we did x y or z. I won't post pictures of every product we use or a review, but if I have recommendations, like the pop up trash and recycling containers seen in the pic above, I'll tell you. So buy a set of pop up trash and recycling containers.

The List of Parks We've Visited: Current As of 03/23/2024
  1. Muskegon State Park
  2. Port Crescent State Park
  3. Van Buren State Park
  4. Hartwick Pines State Park
  5. Fort Custer State Recreation Area
  6. Sleepy Hollow State Park
  7. Ionia State Recreation Area
  8. Yankee Springs State Recreation Area
  9. Belle Isle (day trip, no camping allowed)
  10. Metamora-Hadley State Recreation Area
  11. Rifle River State Recreation Area
  12. North Higgins Lake State Park*
  13. Brighton State Recreation Area*
  14. Ludington State Park
  15. W.J. Hayes State Park
  16. Muskegon State Park Round 2 and Winter Sports Complex*
* Posts are winter camping and will probably be re-visited during summer months. These reviews are limited in their nature.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 23, 2024

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Alright, might as well start off with the first state park we visited together.

Back in 2016 we visited Muskegon State Park. I was working 12 hour midnights and Mrs. Lunchables was in grad school, so we managed to pull this out of our rear end last-minute. We shoved a tent and some folding chairs into my old Pontiac and drove north from Grand Rapids.

It rained the entire time. No joke, from the Friday we showed up until the Sunday we left, it didn’t stop raining. We took the Scenic Drive, saw the blockhouse, and ate (soggy) food, but the weather was so foul that we didn’t really leave the tent or the car unless we had to.

I’m not going to bother with a standard write-up, because I feel like we didn’t get a chance to experience the park the way we ought to. The place has two separate campgrounds and an entire winter sports complex! sigh I guess we should probably go back in a decade or two.

We stayed on the Lake Michigan side, if it counts.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

In June 2021 we visited Port Crescent State Park, and holy cow, this is currently my favorite state park in the Lower Peninsula. Neither of us had ever been camping on Lake Huron before, and from everyone I talked to, it seemed like nobody else had either. The few folks from the Flint area I spoke with mentioned rocky shores, and didn’t have much good to say about the Lake.

An actual quote I just made up. posted:

“gently caress it, we’ve lived in Michigan for decades and we’ve never been to Lake Huron? That’s gotta change.”

It took quite a while to get to, as there’s no main highway that runs all the way out to the tip of the thumb, but holy cow was it amazing. The entire park sits on a shallow, sandy crescent that looks out westward over the Saginaw Bay, making it excellent for swimming early in the year, as the sun heats up the bay much quicker than the rest of the water in Huron.

• Sites – Gravel parking but fully modern, the entire park is actually pretty small, with one row of the loop being up on a hill overlooking the bay with the other being down on shore-level. The upper loop sites are dirt based and grassy, with plenty of tree cover, but the lower sites are extremely sandy given their proximity to the lake. There are a few no-reservation single-night hammock camping sites that are right on the beach as well, should you just wanna show up for a night, getting rocked to sleep by the breeze off Lake Huron. If you tent camp, try to get site 38 if you can, its about double the size of every other site and its right next to the trail down to the beach, the water, and a short walk from the bathrooms.

• Facilities – The entire bathroom facility had gotten a full remodel in the past few years, and everything was cleaned daily. We didn’t use any of the vault toilets, but given the state of the rest of the park, I’d bet they were immaculate. So far this park has had the best facilities I’ve seen, bar none.

• Amenities – This place had a ton of stuff. Geodesic domes, mini-cabins, full cabins with private bathrooms. They had a wifi hotspot at the main office (a very welcome bonus), a nice playground, horseshoes, and a beautiful sandy beach. It’s dog friendly, so you can bring your smelly friends. The trails are easily accessible and cover a decent amount of elevation and terrain changes, while still remaining short enough for everyone to hike. There’s also the Pinnebog River that empties out not far from the campground, offering an opportunity to kayak back to the campground proper. The park is also a Dark Sky Preserve, offering all you trolls an unblemished look at the stars the way an average Yooper sees them all the time.
  • Here's a little video of the view of the mouth of the Pinnebog from the trail

• The Area – Situated right at the tip of the thumb, about four miles from the town of Port Austin, Port Crescent State Park is seated on a shallow half-moon bay looking northwest over the Saginaw Bay. Turnip Rock and coastal kayaking are popular, though we were unable to pull that off due to the wind. The only good way to get to the park is over local highways and an occasional county or municipal road cutting the edge of some farmer’s property. M25 travels from Bay City along the shoreline, and might be the best route, as it will give you plenty of views to make the extra distance more enjoyable. M53 through Bad Axe is also an option, should you be headed straight north from Detroit. Nearby are the currently unexplored (by us) Albert E. Sleeper State Park, only 7 miles away, offering more inland square footage and hunting opportunities.

All in all, expect a fair amount of non-freeway overland travel, and a lot of back highways to reach this place. Given the actual short distance to Flint, Saginaw and Bay City, it’s likely the lack of access that makes this place feel so much like a Secret Garden.

• Warnings – First of all, there is single-bar cell service on a good day. The aforementioned wifi at the main office helps alleviate that downside. The sites on the southern side are also close to an old river channel that the flow of water has since forgotten, but the mosquitos have not. Sites 21-77 are the least affected by this. M25 does run directly behind this park, but it gets such little traffic that you’re unlikely to hear much for noise. The raccoons, however, are fat, sassy, and balls deep in your lunch. I had to moosh one in the face with the bottom of a can to stop it from stealing our hamburger buns. Motherfucker just didn’t care.

• Who is it best for? – This place is best experienced by everybody. Honestly, no joke, try to stop at this park once in your life. Sure, some sites might be small, so big trailers might have more of an issue, and there aren’t any equestrian or bike trails, but those are small trade-offs. Tent campers and trailers/RVs alike will find the sites both diverse and accommodating. Hammock campers, forget about it. This place should be on your bucket list.

Given the proximity to the lowland old river channel, I’d recommend an early summer or early fall trip here, to alleviate the bugs. The water was warm enough to spend hours in during early June, so don’t worry about being “too early” for the big lake. Fall might be the best season, though, with a last gasp of summer heat in September making the now warm lake feel that much better.

Mrs. Lunchables stole a tiny clam person's shoes

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 1, 2022

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

An actual quote I just made up posted:

“gently caress it, we’ve lived in Michigan for decades and we’ve never been to Lake Huron? That’s gotta change."

:sweatdrop:

Awesome write up, I have been wanting to do some car camping somewhere close-ish to SE Michigan and this park sounds great. I've also never swam in Lake Huron despite living here close to 4 decades now...

Added this thread to my bookmarks, good luck on your travels.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
This is an awesome thread! Definitely gonna follow it, and potentially pass along some of the information.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Looking forward to this, its going to be useful info!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’ll probably do one big main-body post a week, working through the backlog from last year and the few we’ve already visited this year.

I honestly forgot how much work goes into a well structured post with pictures and stuff. Too many years of drive by shitposting I guess.

I’ll always be available for specific questions too. There’s usually a bunch of info I didn’t add to a given post.

e: maybe every two weeks. I did the math and it’s a more consistent flow if we spread em out that way.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 1, 2022

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Three guesses why Lake Ontario isn't pictured here

Get rid of Erie and make Ontario an honorary Michigan lake, IMO.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

In June 2021 we visited Port Crescent State Park, and holy cow, this is currently my favorite state park in the Lower Peninsula. Neither of us had ever been camping on Lake Huron before, and from everyone I talked to, it seemed like nobody else had either. The few folks from the Flint area I spoke with mentioned rocky shores, and didn’t have much good to say about the Lake.

When I was a kid we would take big extended-family trips to Port Austin in the summer. At least once a trip we would rent canoes from the place off the main road and canoe up the river to the lake and spend the day at the beach there. A very pretty place and lots of fun as a kid being able to run between the lake and river and swim in both.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Zero One posted:

Get rid of Erie and make Ontario an honorary Michigan lake, IMO.

When I was a kid we would take big extended-family trips to Port Austin in the summer. At least once a trip we would rent canoes from the place off the main road and canoe up the river to the lake and spend the day at the beach there. A very pretty place and lots of fun as a kid being able to run between the lake and river and swim in both.

Erie’s last for a reason. Well, a couple: the one we all know, the fact that it’s a lower lake, and also because it only has one state park on its shores.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Curious what you're going to do (or have done) for Kal-Haven. It's been a number of years since I biked the whole length, but it's a lot less of a "park" and more of just a long trail. There were a few scattered camp sites along the way, though. And I guess an outpost facility nearer to South Haven? I don't remember that but also by that point in the bike ride my group would have been very tired and just looking forward to the beach.

Kind of stretches the definition of "park" when it's 34 miles long and 15 feet wide, eh?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah, Park Trails are kinda moot here cause you can’t camp on em. Doesn’t mean we won’t see the ones close to where we camp, but I can’t guarantee we’d hit every one, much less explore the length of em.

We’re in a similar spot with stuff like Belle Isle and Dodge #4. They’re parks, absolutely, but we can’t stay there either. Much more likely we’d just take a day trip and do a condensed write up.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

In late August of 2021, during the height of summer, we traveled down the Lake Michigan coast to Van Buren State Park.

We had intended to go during the hottest season so that we could get in the Lake, spend as much time in the water as possible, and really live it up, beach style. The thinking was this: it’s pretty far south on Lake Michigan, so it should be warm. Even if it’s not, it’s gonna be hot outside, so cooler water won’t be an issue. We chose Van Buren over Grand Haven because I’d worked in GH for years and was already familiar with the area. We wanted to try some place new, so off we went, through Kalamazoo with the sun at our backs and construction as far as the eye could see.

When we got there, we saw the most basic camping setup possible. Sandy soil, pokey grass, limited tree cover and pines abundant. The park map didn’t show really any trails, but we were here for the water. The entire campground was, unfortunately, disappointing, but we were determined to have ourselves a time.

The beach itself is the star of the show here, barricaded from the rest of the park by a large natural sand dune. With the delicate ecosystem and constant erosion of Lake Michigan’s shoreline, we declined to hike them, and instead set up shop in an area that gave us some shade in the morning. The sand was nice, giving way to rockier offerings by the water. (There are pure sandy stretches, so don’t be dissuaded by this). The beach area is buttressed to the south by a nuclear power plant and to the north by miles of private land, finally leading up to South Haven. We brought beers, which are not allowed, snacks, which are, sunscreen and basically nothing else. I spent 6 solid hours in the lake, where I lost my prescription RayBans. Mrs. Lunchables turned her Apple Watch to “Swim” mode, and it immediately ate poo poo and started calling 911 before dying completely. Do not trust “Swim” mode, my friends…

We tried to make the best of things, but this place is really a single-night stay type of campground, or maybe even a day trip beach. There’s nothing else to do within the park except swim, so don’t plan too much else if you’re going. Overall, we were generally unimpressed, having seen similar beaches all our lives.

• Sites – These were all compacted dirt pads with sandy soil, limited tree cover or shade, and basically non-descript. They didn’t offer much in terms of identity but were fine enough for tent camping. All sites were modern, meaning they had electricity and a shared potable waterspout within walking distance. The land was all flat, with no low or soggy points.

• Facilities – The bathrooms were Michigan 70s chic: small brown tiles and small tan tiles, with off-white grout. The toilets flushed, and apart from a sandy floor, seemed decently maintained. I didn’t try the showers because I spent all day in a giant freshwater sea. I don’t remember if they even had showers. The water tasted fine, for what it’s worth. I drank a ton of it and don’t recall complaining about it.

• Amenities - There is very little else in the camping area. Two playground areas with swings and the like, but nothing else of note. Kids would probably be disappointed. All trails within the park lead over the dune to the beach. There is the Van Buren Trail Spur that will lead you up to South Haven, but it doesn’t bode well when one of your main attractions is a path that leads you away from the area. The campground is alcohol friendly and dog friendly too, but both are restricted on the beach. There is a dog beach a bit further south, so at least they didn’t leave you hanging. There is apparently a “sports field” south of the beach parking, but I think it’s just a mowed lot where you could play pickup football or soccer.

The beach has a parking lot very close (still inland from the dunes) and a very nice paved footpath, with foot washing stations and bathrooms available. There’s a newer playground set near the beach, and the bathroom stations were relatively newer as well. All the development money in recent years has obviously been put into making the lake access easier and more attractive. It’s pretty emblematic of Lake Michigan shorelines, with cool clear water curling tiny whitecaps onto a mix of sand and rocks at the water’s edge. Don’t be alarmed by the rocks: they give way to soft sand about ten feet away from the shoreline, where the waves break. This should be pretty standard for anyone who’s gone swimming in Lake Michigan but may be concerning for new folks. Go out past the waves and you’ll find yourself in a very pleasant swimming area.

• The Area – The park is (obviously) on the shores of Lake Michigan, at the westernmost edge of Van Buren County. Fun fact: the county itself is named after former President (and more importantly former Secretary of State and Vice President under Andrew Jackson) Martin Van Buren. There are ten “Cabinet Counties,” named after members of then-president Andrew Jackson’s cabinet. Why suck Jackson’s dick in this manner? Because Michigan (still a territory) was in a shooting war with Ohio over the Toledo strip, and our former leaders thought flattery would make way to a better settlement. In the end, Jackson signed a bill recognizing Michigan as a state, though Toledo would forever be lost to Ohio. The Upper Peninsula, which was never part of Wisconsin, was ceded to the new state. In fact, Wisconsin used to be part of Michigan Territory, so if you ever come at me with that poo poo about “it should be part of Wisconsin,” I will contend: it never was, it never should have been, and it never will be. Also gently caress you.
    A couple of miles north sits South Haven, a grand playground for the rich and their yachts. The town is dotted with cute little shops and eateries and has a beautiful public food garden that you should walk through if you have a chance. Like most Lake Michigan beach towns, it exists to serve tourists exclusively. There is a Lighthouse where you can have your Lighthouse Passport stamped, as well as the Michigan Maritime Museum, which has a variety of boats including a freshwater topsail sloop. You can reserve rides on their fleet, which I think is pretty neat. Go walk through the marinas and guess how much insulin you could buy for the cost of a single boat.

Travel to the park is relatively easy, using straight highways, though there is a confusing bit right as you try to enter the park, where you have to take a spur called Ruggles road (not Blue Star Highway!), cause there’s no straight shot into the park. It was an odd setup, to be sure.

The part Labeled "Indiana" is Indiana

• Warnings – Don’t expect too much to do outside of getting in the Lake. That’s probably why you’d ever go here, but it remains to be said: there’s not much else in the park proper. It’s a quiet chunk of land with few neighbors, fewer bugs, and too much sun. Cell service is standard, so expect to have data available to you. The campgrounds are alcohol and dog friendly, but I must repeat: the beach is alcohol prohibited. Be sneaky, fellow drinkers, and you will find an easy way around this. It’s not like the DNR are digging in coolers, but if you’re loud about it, they’re gonna kick you off the beach.

• Who is it best for? – This place is best suited for day trips or single night stays. There’s no mountain biking trails, no horse trails, no mounts for hammocks, and not much for interesting foot trails. It’s all about the beach, which is nice, clean, and warm which probably has nothing to do with the nuclear plant using it for cooling. Maybe you don’t wanna watch a family of 12 Dutch children drown at Grand Haven after being sucked out by the rip current? This is the beach for you, then. If you’re interested in a camping experience, or something you can’t find anywhere else, this isn’t the place to find it.

We didn't take any pictures at all here, so no extra fluff. Imagine a beach, and you nailed it.

I may have come off as a bit too harsh on the place, but take it for what it is: a public beach with pretty decent water-side facilities. My apologies to Martin Van Buren.

The Palisades Nuclear Power Plant is set to close in 2022, should that be an actual concern for you.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 3, 2022

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
How's Sterling State Park? I just booked for next weekend for "urban kayaking" in Monroe

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Right now, I only have one MI State Park trip planned, and that's Interlochen in early August with the family. Going to be trying to check off some new parks this year, as I'm trying to do the same with visiting every state park before the world ends. So far I have been to...

Cheboygan
Hartwick
Interlochen
Petoskey
Young
Bay City
Port Crescent
Fort Custer

We're based out of SE MI, so our biggest struggle has been trying to plan UP camping trips to hit up the State Parks up there. If you have any questions on the ones above, let me know! So far out of those, Interlochen, Young, Port Crescent and Hartwick were my favorites.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

War and Pieces posted:

How's Sterling State Park? I just booked for next weekend for "urban kayaking" in Monroe

Haven’t been yet. Drop in and share your thoughts, cause urban kayaking is awesome.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

bagmonkey posted:

Right now, I only have one MI State Park trip planned, and that's Interlochen in early August with the family. Going to be trying to check off some new parks this year, as I'm trying to do the same with visiting every state park before the world ends. So far I have been to...

Cheboygan
Hartwick
Interlochen
Petoskey
Young
Bay City
Port Crescent
Fort Custer

We're based out of SE MI, so our biggest struggle has been trying to plan UP camping trips to hit up the State Parks up there. If you have any questions on the ones above, let me know! So far out of those, Interlochen, Young, Port Crescent and Hartwick were my favorites.

I’ve hit 3 of your eight so far. Our “theme” this year was local, so stuff that’s under or only a little over an hour away. Luckily that means like half the state parks in Michigan. Metro Detroit has this orbital cloud of state parks, like an asteroid belt, that seem to signify the furthest folks are willing to go from home for a given camping trip.

e: bagmo, if you need ideas for a UP trip, feel free to ask. I’ve visited about half of the parks there at some point in my life. I’d be happy to give some insight if you’re planning a trip. (Same goes for anyone else too).

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 6, 2022

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I was inspired by your post and tried to book something for Port Crescent but it looks pretty booked for this summer. Now I've got the bug and it looks like I'm looking too late in the season already to get a spot at a good park.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Michigan parks start booking exactly 6 months before booking date, and popular places (Ludington) are booked within seconds of popular dates opening (Fourth of July). Try for some random weekends, or dates after Labor Day.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I’ve hit 3 of your eight so far. Our “theme” this year was local, so stuff that’s under or only a little over an hour away. Luckily that means like half the state parks in Michigan. Metro Detroit has this orbital cloud of state parks, like an asteroid belt, that seem to signify the furthest folks are willing to go from home for a given camping trip.

e: bagmo, if you need ideas for a UP trip, feel free to ask. I’ve visited about half of the parks there at some point in my life. I’d be happy to give some insight if you’re planning a trip. (Same goes for anyone else too).

I think we're gonna plan our next trip up there for 2023 and try to hit 6-8 parks in the span of a week. Luckily I can also stay at my aunt and uncle's cabin outside St Ignace too if needed. For me/us this year, I'm trying to focus more locally too just because I've had to take a bunch of unexpected time off this year. Lakeport is high on the list, I want to try to hit Sleeper as well as Sleepy Hollow. Also trying to prod a few of my friends with kids to take them out camping to places like Proud Lake or Highland where it's close to home so they can jet if things don't work out. I remember loving LOVING camping more than anything as a kid

Gravitee posted:

I was inspired by your post and tried to book something for Port Crescent but it looks pretty booked for this summer. Now I've got the bug and it looks like I'm looking too late in the season already to get a spot at a good park.

My recommendation is to keep checking! I regularly snipe amazing spots around the state (including a lake front Interlochen site!) throughout the summer as I see them come up. When stuff gets cancelled, it's released back into the pool almost immediately, so those maps are ALWAYS updating.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Quote is not edit.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'm just starting to plan our "major" trip for camping this year, which includes a 5 day stint at Interlochen SP with my family. Debating between doing a short UP tour, a west coast tour or an east coast tour. Once lady bagmo has a chance to think on it, I'll let you guys know what we come up with. Also looks like we might get to knock out Sleepy Hollow prior to a wedding this summer! Yay!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Sleepy hollow was pretty boss. Definitely rent a kayak.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Alright, might as well start off with the first state park we visited together.

Back in 2016 we visited Muskegon State Park. I was working 12 hour midnights and Mrs. Lunchables was in grad school, so we managed to pull this out of our rear end last-minute. We shoved a tent and some folding chairs into my old Pontiac and drove north from Grand Rapids.

It rained the entire time. No joke, from the Friday we showed up until the Sunday we left, it didn’t stop raining. We took the Scenic Drive, saw the blockhouse, and ate (soggy) food, but the weather was so foul that we didn’t really leave the tent or the car unless we had to.

I’m not going to bother with a standard write-up, because I feel like we didn’t get a chance to experience the park the way we ought to. The place has two separate campgrounds and an entire winter sports complex! sigh I guess we should probably go back in a decade or two.

We stayed on the Lake Michigan side, if it counts.

I stayed in the yurt :3:. We did this in the early fall. The hiking around the winter sports complex was pretty easy (with the option to go up some of the oddball features).

I'm glad you're basing out of GR, I'm new to the outdoorsy poo poo and am going to live vicariously as I plan my own trips.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I stayed in the yurt :3:. We did this in the early fall. The hiking around the winter sports complex was pretty easy (with the option to go up some of the oddball features).

I'm glad you're basing out of GR, I'm new to the outdoorsy poo poo and am going to live vicariously as I plan my own trips.

(I’m actually out of Lansing. Feel free to live vicariously either way though.)

Mrs. Lunchables has already made a request to revisit Muskegon in February 2024, so expect an update in the next couple years.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Dr. Lunchables posted:

(I’m actually out of Lansing. Feel free to live vicariously either way though.)

Mrs. Lunchables has already made a request to revisit Muskegon in February 2024, so expect an update in the next couple years.

Hopefully I can beat you there (bikepacking from GR).

My 2 camping trips so far this year have both gotten cancelled so I'm itching to go out.

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
Heading back out to Ionia State Park for this first time since like 2013. I remember it being a pretty decent park but this time I am going to the “beach side” which is supposed to be more rustic. On the non beach side the sites were pretty unremarkable except for they seemed to offer decent privacy-lots of trees and pretty well broken up between sites.The facilities were in good shape and I really liked how quiet the lake was. Not sure if I just happened to hit a slow weekend or if maybe it’s just not that popular a park but excited to find out.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
It is increasingly looking like we will be headed to the UP to check off 3-4 State Parks up there! I will share details once lady bagmo and I are able to sit down and hash out the details on this, but I'm super exicted. Lady bagmo had a Blackrocks pint glass she got that was really nice that broke recently, so I'm trying to plan this vacation around glass retrieval.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

In October 2021 we went to Hartwick Pines, up past Houghton Lake, where US 127 and I-75 converge.

This one was a tough trip for us. I had wanted to go here for a long time, since I’d driven past it every time I went to or from the UP. I remember my dad telling me about the ancient forest in there when I was a kid, driving down to see a Lions game.

When my wife and I finally went, my dad had passed away a few weeks previous. My emotions were a wreck, my entire mindset in shambles. I was hoping this trip would give me something else to focus on, something I could do to help distract myself from the fresh feelings of grief and loss. It had been a warm fall, so we expected decent hiking and an opportunity to explore land in Michigan that neither of us had ready access to as kids.

It rained the entire. loving. weekend.

We set up our tent in the rain, set the picnic table under the canopy, and sat, drinking beer and liquor until our friends arrived. The rain let up enough for them to set up with little issue, but it never stopped. We sat, soggy and dour, looking out at the grounds filled with trailers and RVs, wondering if we had made the wrong choice.

There’s no cell service in Hartwick Pines, and no wifi access point at the entrance, so we couldn’t listen to music, even though we’d brought a Bluetooth speaker. (We resolved to buy a radio upon our return home.) We would check the car’s radio for weather updates, hoping to find out when a break in the rain would come, occasionally dumping pooled water off the corners of our canopy, and occasionally having it all splash down onto our picnic table. We couldn’t play cribbage, a game we take with us every camping trip, because there wasn’t a spot at the table that wasn’t currently rained on or covered in things that we needed to keep dry. We sat, sweating under our ponchos, recalling how ill prepared we were for something as minor as rainfall.

On Saturday we played Monopoly on an iPad until the weather broke, then resolved to go on a hike, drat the precipitation. We drove to the Visitor’s Center and toured the interior, with mounts of local fauna and tales of the loggers who had cleared forests from Bad Axe to Muskegon, all the way up to Grayling. I spoke to anyone who would listen about the Michigan Axe, developed for specifically these forests, the great dense White Pine, and how, unlike other regional axes, it is still used today. Mrs. Lunchables rolled her eyes.

The Visitor’s Center was pretty cool, and offered a nice little viewing platform and raised bridges looking out onto the trail heads. It showed the history of Michigan’s logging industry, leading to the development of sawmill port towns like Muskegon and Saginaw. It was honestly pretty good. I’m a huge dork for museums and historical placards and stuff, so take that with a grain of salt.

Someone got creative with the placement of this image and the door lock

We hiked the Old Growth Forest Trail, gawking upward at the giant White Pines and marveling at the deadfalls, the massive size of the trunks, the huge crater-like holes where the roots had torn free. We crossed the road and hit the Au Sable River Trail, passing by the (unfortunately) closed for the season Memorial Building. It was a beautiful area, and we saw confusingly-out-of-season morels, and spent a lot of our time squatting and talking about weird mushrooms. With the weather turning, we concluded our hike by hitting the southern circle of the Old Growth Trail.

We sat in the rain by our fire, eating chili and scraping burnt cornbread out of a dutch oven. I had seriously misjudged how hot the coals were and how long to leave the bread on. The top was fine, but I had no way to check or judge the carbonized bottom. A learning experience!

I'm posting this again cause I'll reference specific sites, and it'll be easier to check

• Sites – First off, if you’re an RV camper, this is absolutely the spot for you. All the premium sites are pull through, have electric water and sewer hookups, a thing I’d never even seen before. Folks apparently camped here for weeks at a time, because they had satellite TV stands and yard decorations. This was a camping retiree’s dream park. The outer sites, where we stayed, were large and accommodating, with many on the north side tucked back into the pines, offering a little cubby away from the rest of the park. The whole park seems to have had a relatively recent remodel, because even the asphalt pads, and especially the pull through sites were pristine. For tent campers, worry not, there is room to pitch your tent, and trees to hang your hammock, provided you’re on the outer ring of sites. The inner sites also have tree buffers, but I can’t guarantee that for every site, especially the inner most spots. The Premium sites are like little lawns, with ornamental local shrubbery far enough away to not intrude on the spaces. There were no low-spots in the park (and so no standing water, even with the prodigious rain), but some of the end sites (99, 100, etc.) were near brambles of blackberry bushes, so keep that in for kids and pets.

• Facilities – This isn’t a very big park, holding only 100 sites, but you’d expect more than one bathroom, right? Not necessary, since 1/3 of the campers get to poo poo directly into their own toilet, shower in their own bathroom, and watch TV in their own recliners. The toilets were pristine and basically unused. This is probably because we were the only tent campers in the entire park, and it rained so much that people would rather dump the sewage tanks than get soaked in the rain. Either way, they were clean, modern, and well appointed. The showers were also fully updated and the hot water was quick to flow. The drinking water was unfortunately a little sulphury to the nose, but tasted fine, without any metallic heaviness.

• Amenities – There a playground next to an all-sand volleyball court, and everything was well maintained. An “amphitheater” is on the southwest side, but it’s not much more than a painted wooden projector screen and a bar height wall, presumably for puppet shows. There’s not a ton of stuff for kids here, but we visited close enough to Halloween that there were groups of children Trick or Treating to each Premium site, holding umbrellas and bags and plastic pumpkins. Since it’s basically a little closed community, kids were free to run the streets, masked and happy, and the elderly RV campers were delighted to spoil them with treats. Folks put up Halloween decorations and held big multi-site bonfires. We had to assume that a lot of these people probably came near the same time every year, with old “camping friends” being their neighbors and their temporary community.

The trails and the history are really the star of the show here, with well groomed, wide paths and historical signposts telling you how to identify this, or look out for that, and note the ecology of the fallen White Pine. There’s miles and miles of hiking and mountain bike trails, with elevation changes and scenery galore. There are dedicated foot trails, like the Au Sable River Trail and the Mertz Grade Trail, that are cozier and denser, giving you a meandering glance at Hartwick Lake and the East Branch of the Au Sable River. There’s a logging museum that you can hike or drive to, which we unfortunately didn’t see. Fishing piers dot the small lakes that are accessible both by foot and car, with kayak rentals to boot. Scenic drives and local roads allow access into the 49 acres of public forest, and hunting is permitted outside of the old growth. Snowmobile trails cut through the land, and all the foot trails are equally usable by cross country skis and snowshoes. There’s even a rustic cabin out by the lakes that’s super accessible, just off I-75. What I’m saying is this place is massive, and packed to the gills with stuff to do outside. And if you’re a stay-in-the-trailer type of camper, I’ve never seen a place more suited to your needs.

• The Area – The closest town is Grayling, a small town that basically exists to service the National Guard base Camp Grayling. Expect to see Humvee convoys on the road into and out of the area. The base is actually the largest National Guard training facility in the US, and is used to do company-sized exercises across the varied terrain. The town itself is small, and spread across the base’s border, but it does have a couple restaurants, a couple breweries (natch), and a few grocery stores, should you need anything nearby. There’s a few outfitters with canoes and a bike shop nearby if you need something repaired. Anything you’d want outside of civilization can be found within the park, though. It’s right off I-75, so its one of the easiest places to get to.

There's not another park right next to it, somebody just misplaced the Otsego marker

• Warnings – There is no cell service in the area, at all. Do not plan on having access to data, or even being able to send a text message. Grayling’s not very big, but it has all the necessities. Still, don’t expect like… I dunno, some brand-name city-centric store. It’s small-town and base-adjacent, so keep your context.

• Who is it best for? – It’s pet friendly, alcohol friendly, tent camper friendly, hiker and biker friendly. It’s an RV camper’s paradise. None of the trails are marked for equestrian use, or for ATVs or dirt bikes, so keep that in mind, but that’s really the only thing it’s missing. The area isn’t swampy, so mosquitos shouldn’t be too much of a problem, and since its very much a tall pines and sand area, there’s not too much for long grasses and ticks either. Since white pines shed their oldest needles in autumn, expect to see them coating the forest floor. Don’t worry though, the State Tree of Michigan will still have plenty of green no matter what season you visit. If you’re not winter camping, though, I’d recommend late summer, as you’ll have fuller canopy to protect you from the sunlight throughout the trails. Even so, since there’s nothing restrictive about the activities in the area, any time of year is a great time to visit.

We really enjoyed Hartwick Pines, and would have really loved it if the weather had cooperated. That’s nothing against the park or the area though, cause weather in Michigan is notoriously unpredictable. I went to the park with a heavy heart and a clouded mind, but I was still awestruck by the raw beauty of an untouched old-growth forest. I only hope your weather will be better than ours was.

Mrs. Lunchables, enjoying one of our few all-weather activities

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 20, 2022

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
This weekend I'm bikepacking through Manistee with a pal.

Finally getting out for an overnight. yiesssssss

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Sleepy hollow was pretty boss. Definitely rent a kayak.

As a former resident of St. Johns, I'm looking forward to your writeup about it. We went there once or twice in the late 80s, but since we lived so close we never stayed there overnight and my memories of the place are a bit dim.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

In early May of 2022 we went to Fort Custer State Recreation Area

2022 was the year of hour-long drives and State Recreation Areas. We picked stuff that was very close to Lansing to knock 'em off the list, but also so we could give recommendations to friends, family, and coworkers that live nearby. We also got much more serious about our camping set-up. Mrs. Lunchables organized all our gear into rubbermaid totes for easy stacking storage at home and, more importantly, for making tear-down a breeze. No more stuffing a pillow down into a rear-seat footwell because we packed poo poo out of order. No more trying to maneuver the chairs to make them fit the way they did at home.
It was also our first camping trip of the season, so we were excited to get back outside and test our gear. It was the initial run of the hot tent/stove setup, and we wanted to see how warm we’d stay with our sleeping pads. Still, we brought a Buddy heater just in case. Most importantly, though, was the fact that my wife made Bathroom Bags, containing refillable shampoos, body wash, toothbrush and paste, deodorant and shower flip flops, and the pièce de résistance: a dirty clothes bag. I don't know why we didn't do these before, but they've made shower trips effortless, and the dirty clothes bag means unpacking at home is no longer a smell and guess game.

Since Fort Custer is right outside of Battle Creek, we made plans to hit up a friend and get some dope Mexican food for dinner. We arrived during a slight drizzle to a large wooded campsite, far away from any neighbors. Last autumn's leaves still coated the ground, and stands of oaks surrounded us, breaking up the campground into discrete sections. We kicked the leaves aside and slapped the Nortent together in record time, our friends arriving about an hour behind us. Since we were going out for dinner, we didn't worry about setting up a kitchen right away. Once the canopies were up and our friends unpacked, we made our way into BC for one of my favorite meals: the Jalisco Special. Thin strips of steak, marinated chicken and shrimp over a bed of rice soaked in white cheese. God drat I love a Jalisco.

(The restaurant is La Cocina Mexicana, and they've got two locations in BC. The food is supposedly equal, which is to say excellent, but I always go to the Columbia Ave location. They also have Dos Equis on tap, served in 32 oz frosted mugs.)

With full stomachs and no cleanup, we happily made our way back to the campsite to toss a fire together and put the stove up in the Nortent. The G-Stove performed quite well, and I'm happy to report that the Missus had rave reviews for her Thermarest Luxury Map sleeping pad. The rain had cleared and our camp survived without issue. Mrs. Lunchables had gotten us some day packs with water bladders, an Osprey Skimmer 16 for her and a Scarab 18 for me. Both good packs that I'd recommend for short trips and day hikes. Our plan was to trek a good half dozen miles on Saturday, going up around the lakes on the Green Trail. It's marked for mountain biking on the map, but the signage denoted mixed usage. The signage was wrong.

We hiked against bike traffic flow (Sat, Tu, Th, in one direction, M, W, Fr, Sun in the other) so we could easily step off the trail when we saw a rider. This was a much better idea than hiking with traffic, as there are a few blind downhill corners that would make it almost impossible for a biker to avoid you. Keep this in mind when planning your hikes.

There's over 3000 acres in Fort Custer, a unit of measure I still cant quite imagine in practical terms. I know what a 40 acre lot is, and that most houses sit in 1/4 acre city plots, but an acre is a foggy mystery. It's like measuring volume in Imperial cask sizing.

Almost all of those acres are covered in trails, lakes, wetlands, and Mystery Zones filled with high fences and threats of bodily injury posted on signs. There's a giant rectangle on the map just marked "No Entry." No reasons given, just "No Entry." To hazard a guess, it's probably still US Federal land belonging to the actual Fort that sits alongside the SRA. It's a gigantic Air National Guard base and training center, hosting an airport used for flight training they share with Western Michigan University. The proximity to the base might also be why there's a restriction on alcohol from April 1 through Labor Day, though it's more likely related to the rugged terrain and fast drops on the various biking trails.

One more thing: all throughout the day on Saturday, with absolutely no breaks, there was the sound of gunfire, from 7:00 a.m. until after 11:00 p.m. when we went to sleep. None on Friday, none on Sunday, but literally constant gunfire for the whole of Saturday. I don't know if it was a special event, or a training, or if they just got excited, but I've never heard so much public money go up in smoke over a single 24 hour period. At first I thought it was a group of scouts or maybe some folks out sighting in their rifles, given that its a State Recreation Area. But then it didn't stop. We hiked over six miles and not once had silence over two minutes in length without the gunfire starting back up. It was very odd.

Without further ado, let's get to the actual write up.

• Sites – The camp is split into two kidney-shaped loops, each loop housing its own bathroom facilities. There are chemical toilets for convenience at the maximal ends, with a trail running to the facilities, which I will discuss in detail below. The sites were large; poo poo they were huge! We had enough room in our single site (#146) to post four tents and two canopies without even touching our neighbor's plot. There's power and asphalt pads, but campers and trailers would be better off backing into the sites themselves. You can easily fit the largest motorhome or fifth-wheel in every site we saw, so no need to worry about getting your mobile palace into a comfortable spot. There's plenty of room for tent campers, with a mix of rocky sand or rich brown dirt bedding each site, and even more trees for hammock sleepers. Despite coming in during a cold, wet spring, we didn't see any sites themselves that were soggy, though many in the right-hand loop (sites 01-110) butted up against marshy areas.

There were also signs posted that the campground was a Mosquito Habitat, something that we luckily did not have to deal with as we visited early in the season. Our walk through the campground seemed to suggest the right kidney probably had it the worst in the summer, given their proximity to standing water. I'll bring this up again in Warnings, but it's something they put signs up about, so I'm sure it's bad.

These were posted at the entrance to each kidney

• Facilities – These were basically non-descript, with no notably good nor notably bad aspects to them. I think I used the main bathroom once over the weekend, but it wasn't run down. The sinks both turned on and shut off, the toilets flushed, and I heard no constant water rush of a broken shower, the tell-tale sign of a poorly maintained bathroom. Given that we were in a sparsely populated sector of the park, the chemical toilet was basically our private bathroom. Despite being a standard outhouse, it was very clean, free from spiders, easily accessible, and had both toilet paper and hand sanitizer. We had a large path that ran straight back from our site to our private shitter, so the trek was easily doable while drunk, in the dark, or both.
    Water was available at five spouts near the bathrooms/toilets, i.e. the maximal edges of the kidney. Nothing seemed like it was located too far away, but the locations seem to favor being at the top or bottoms of the kidneys or right next to the bathrooms. The water tasted fine, and was clear without any stink or metallic hardness. Above average facilities, all told.

• Amenities - There are swingsets and playgrounds, but the main attraction is the trails and lakes. Dozens of miles of trails surround four different lakes, a few ponds, and the Kalamazoo River, taking you through scenery and elevation changes, prairielands and forests. Cabin rentals along the Kalamazoo River and the backside of the southern lakes provide some nice hike-in opportunities. There are boat rentals for the many lakes and ponds, and the lakes themselves look very fishable. You can tour the forbidden Antenna Field, and see the scenic No Entry Zone. The campground and the areas surrounding the Antenna Field are restricted for hunting, but everywhere else in the park is available. There is a 14 mile equestrian trail shadowing the river, but really this place is set up for Mountain BikingTM. Friends, if you're a mountain biker, this place is one of the dopest spots. It's got tons of technical tracks, huge cut bank corners, big elevation drops, tight squeezes and river crossings, and so much more. As mentioned above, the trails have alternating directionality, so you're encouraged to hit the same trail more than once, effectively doubling the area. We saw so many hardcore whitebeards out there just crushing drop ins and sandy technical lines, it was amazing. The trail system is maintained by a dedicated biking group (whose name I can't be bothered to remember), so expect real bike trails set up for real trail bikers. You get spectacular views on ridgelines, across wetlands, across lakes, and what I would consider one of the more rugged bike parks I've seen. Keep in mind, I am not a mountain biker, but if I were, this place would be a must visit on my list.

It is, unfortunately, less inclined toward hiking. You get the same views, the same ridges, the same splendor, but only though miles of cutbacks that you can safely ignore, and big carved corners that look cool but offer nothing to the foot traveler. We cut about two miles off the Green Trail by just walking straight up hillsides that offer switchbacks for the bikers, and cutting loops that gave nothing but shaded easy-riding after a large incline. It's a cool trail system, but it's a biker's trail system in everything but name.

Still, the park is gorgeous. We saw a big ol Pileated Woodpecker and massive Mute Swans that looked so big we thought they were boats or floats until we broke out the 'nocs. We also saw a Baltimore Oriole, which is apparently native, but something none of us had ever seen in the flesh. Hawks circled above, being harassed by grackles, and all was right with the world. (Except Mute Swans, which are invasive.)

Mrs. Lunchables leads the pack through the fresh spring growth

• The Area – Located immediately outside of Battle Creek, the park is super easy to get to, and you can access it from I-94 quite readily. The road in was like 2 miles with a posted speed limit of 25 mph, but nobody was on it so we quietly sped until we hit the check-in station. Battle Creek is a real-rear end city, so expect to find everything within a few minutes drive, including major stores and Jalisco Specials. It is, however, immediately adjacent to (and in some cases surrounding) an Air National Guard base. I can't say how often they shoot from dawn til past dusk, but it is something to keep in mind should you be expecting a quiet weekend in the woods. Take a drive through Battle Creek and smell the cereal some time, it's a nice city, I promise. Then look up the absolutely insane history of John Harvey Kellogg, the man obsessed with poop.

Above K is Kalamazoo, above BC is Battle Creek

• Warnings – Well, this place is No Alcohol for pretty much the entire camping season, which means you'll need to get creative with your beers, should you plan on bringing any. Mrs. Lunchables found can sleeves for us, making it look like we were just addicted to Mt. Pew and Dr. Peeper, rather than being degenerate alcoholics. The DNR does patrol, looking for rules violations, and they definitely gave us a hairy eyeball every time they passed. Luckily we only had Cocq-Cola in hand.

Well known brands like Dr. Peeper, Mtn. Pew, Cooa-Cola Zero, Cocq-Cola, and “Pepsi”
    I never knew what was wrong with “Pepsi”

Mosquitoes must also be discussed. This place seems like it would be a cloud of the bastards any time after early May all the way through late September. There's just too many wetlands and marshes to stop them, so consider early spring or late fall for a trip here. I'd try to avoid this park in the height of summer, though. The prairielands are also premier tick habitats, so be sure to wear long pants if your hikes bring you north of Eagle Lake or to the southwest of the park. Bring plenty of bug spray, wear long pants, and be vigilant on your tick checks. (I found a tiny one on me, but that's all we got for a 6.5 mile hike with four people. We might have just been lucky.)

The National Guard base, again, is Next Door, so be aware of the possible noise this could pose. I doubt the shoot-a-thon we experienced was normal, but I'd bring ear plugs just in case.

Finally, the trails that we saw were not kid-friendly. No child is gonna have a good time hiking through this, and doubly so if they're taking one of the mixed-use bike paths. Early teens and older should have a good time though, as there's a ton of woods to go gently caress around in. If they're a biker, they're gonna have a blast.

• Who is it best for? – Mountain Bikers. This park was what made me include the "best for" section on my list, because it is entirely set up for getting rad on your bike. I'm sure the equestrian trails are nice, and there's an equestrian campground, but we didn't have a chance to explore that. The fishing was probably excellent, and the lakes looked like a great spot to kayak and canoe. There's enough variation in water features that you could probably take a long weekend just exploring coves and islands. Still though, this is a Mountain Biking Park. You won't have a bad time hiking or fishing or 'yakking, but you won't have nearly as much fun as the bikers.

Here I am, fat and sassy, enjoying a Mt. Pew.

Overall we quite enjoyed Fort Custer. I'm glad we went in early spring, and glad we saw what we saw on the trails. I'd highly recommend visiting this park in general, with the caveats mentioned above. The place is massive, so keep that in mind when planning your activities. Also strongly consider what sites you pick, factoring in your feelings toward chemical toilets. We got 'em early in the season, but I make no promises about their state in late summer.

Fort Custer: give it a shot.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Voted 5, went hog wild!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Fort Custer is insufferable if there's an extremely crazy flash rain storm right before you get to the campgrounds. Here's our camp site we were originally supposed to go to

Luckily there were a couple decent ones available. It rained A LOT. This place was loving moist. It was also absolutely crawling with mosquitos. I had to shower myself in DEET multiple times, made it out with like half a dozen bites while lady bagmo made it out with 500 mosquito bites. Despite this, we're still planning on coming back and visiting again. Bell's is real close, as well as a bunch of other breweries too.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Bonus pic from when we got back to the campsite and the rain picked up! I loved this picture

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

bagmonkey posted:

Fort Custer is insufferable if there's an extremely crazy flash rain storm right before you get to the campgrounds. Here's our camp site we were originally supposed to go to

Luckily there were a couple decent ones available. It rained A LOT. This place was loving moist. It was also absolutely crawling with mosquitos. I had to shower myself in DEET multiple times, made it out with like half a dozen bites while lady bagmo made it out with 500 mosquito bites. Despite this, we're still planning on coming back and visiting again. Bell's is real close, as well as a bunch of other breweries too.

Bagmo, i wouldnt be shocked if we run into each other at some state park some day. I try to make note of other tent campers since we’re such a minority. We also cram our jeep fulla poo poo!

I could see the ground not really absorbing much water like in your pictures though, its some kind of clay sand hybrid that is great for wetlands, but not so much for keeping your tent dry.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Safety Dance posted:

Voted 5, went hog wild!

:hmmyes:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
gently caress yeah, I was there on July 4th weekend. I went there hung over with some friends, having been told the trails are pretty chill.
Not chill.
I did the green run with 4 friends, all of which ate moderate poo poo at least once. I made it through unscathed. My real mistake was agreeing to do red at a speed run whilst hung over (3 others bailed on that brilliant idea). The two of us that did go for a second rip were wrecked by the end of it.

The hangover beat me up, but the trails were a ton of fun. Trying to keep up with my buddy (10 years and 50+ lbs younger and lighter) while blasting through these trails blind was a ton of fun.

There was an air show going on, apparently, but we didn't hear much because one of the attractions blew up and killed the driver or something. A jet truck that raced the planes, apparently. That seems to have cut those festivities short. I didn't know, I was just glad to hear the nature.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Cannon_Fodder posted:

gently caress yeah, I was there on July 4th weekend. I went there hung over with some friends, having been told the trails are pretty chill.
Not chill.
I did the green run with 4 friends, all of which ate moderate poo poo at least once. I made it through unscathed. My real mistake was agreeing to do red at a speed run whilst hung over (3 others bailed on that brilliant idea). The two of us that did go for a second rip were wrecked by the end of it.

The hangover beat me up, but the trails were a ton of fun. Trying to keep up with my buddy (10 years and 50+ lbs younger and lighter) while blasting through these trails blind was a ton of fun.

There was an air show going on, apparently, but we didn't hear much because one of the attractions blew up and killed the driver or something. A jet truck that raced the planes, apparently. That seems to have cut those festivities short. I didn't know, I was just glad to hear the nature.

I’m assuming you got rad on a bike given the way you describe it. Are there other trails in the lower peninsula that have the kind of coverage Fort Custer offers? I’ve only ever seen poo poo as or more gnarly in the UP, but nothing like this at a state park.

How were the mosquitoes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Bagmo, i wouldnt be shocked if we run into each other at some state park some day. I try to make note of other tent campers since we’re such a minority. We also cram our jeep fulla poo poo!

Tent campers unite. Every time I get a survey from the MIDNR after camping I always ask for a designated "tents only" area with some greenery.

We drove through Fort Wilkins two weekends ago, I'm thinking of a late September camping trip up there.