Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
video game snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Pokemon trailer is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ruBLEEqw_c

LECHONK

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I am playing Bi-nal Pan-tasy XIV.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzNYexLVrXw

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Elden Ring is long. Too long if you ask me. Have abandoned second playthrough in favour of learning upcoming boardgame Pagan: Fate of Roanoke which has got a few Android: Netrunner fans excited, myself included.

Which leads me on to my quarterly moan about how they should loving reboot the Netrunner franchise with a streamlined online version of A:NR, that has a Hearthstone / Gloomhaven / MTGA level of polish instead of Jinteki.net.

Slay The Spire is still the poo poo though, as far as digital card games go.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Elden Ring is actually pretty short if you beeline the main quest.

Doing everything in every region, though

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
after doing another completion run of Hollow Knight and getting nearly finished with Dragon Quest XI i think i really need a short game to play

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

:holymoley:

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I think I may never finish Horizon Forbidden West because I am addicted to doing every single side quest and errand, including upgrading all of the weapons I have even though I only use like two of them.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Apparently Diablo Immortal is pay to win. :rubby:

I guess I thought it'd all just be cosmetics. Oh well!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yesssssss. June already the perfect month.

External Organs posted:

What? Don't you guys have wallets? :smug:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1531999214745669632?s=20&t=k8Z8khCKLDKtKRIasYGi5Q

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Yesssssss. June already the perfect month.

June is Annoy Your Pets month

External Organs posted:

I'm playing Warcraft Arclight Rumble and it similarly has IAP nonsense. Thankfully it's not super in your face about it and the campaign is fun so far

Freemium mobile games are all garbage in the end

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/UltimaShadowX/s...ingawful.com%2F

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I hope we get to see some good 40K DarkBi gaymeplay at the Skulls stream tonight

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

the cavewoman/scientist look is everywhere this year it seems

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Apparently their names are spanish for past/future or something

I wonder if the professors are version exclusive

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They are.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Wouldn’t be a pokemon game if it didnt have that gimmick.

Also just lol at Diablo. lol

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
smolive’s evo will be Three Olives, the poster

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Diablo Immortal, when you complete a dungeon, one of your rewards is... an opportunity to spend money

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1532010503240826880?s=20&t=RsFtEQ_Xt3tr7Wce0BLxbw

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

goblin week posted:

smolive’s evo will be Three Olives, the poster

nah it'll be flipped horizontally and called eviloms

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Yeah the monetization is bad and super aggressive.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Zil posted:

Yeah the monetization is bad and super aggressive.

Just like Diablo. Not even death can save you from me!

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I bet the terrible mobile game will still make a tons of money. looks like it uses Diablo 3 assets so it was probably cheap to make too.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Harrow posted:

In Diablo Immortal, when you complete a dungeon, one of your rewards is... an opportunity to spend money

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1532010503240826880?s=20&t=RsFtEQ_Xt3tr7Wce0BLxbw

lol the mad lads actually did it

most of the monetization scheme was leaked a month ago and they didn't change a goddamn thing

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I bet the terrible mobile game will still make a tons of money. looks like it uses Diablo 3 assets so it was probably cheap to make too.

They built it off of an engine they bought from some fly by night Chinese mobile game company and then delayed the game by 4 years after the Blizzcon announcement completely bombed so they could make it work for PC as well. They probably burned through a poo poo ton of money on this when all was said and done

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 1, 2022

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
They're gonna make it all back in a month tops.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

They all have phones....

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Honestly mobile Diablo sounds like a fine idea and I bet Immortal wouldn't have met nearly the reception it did if they'd waited and announced it at the same BlizzCon as Diablo 4

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harrow posted:

Honestly mobile Diablo sounds like a fine idea and I bet Immortal wouldn't have met nearly the reception it did if they'd waited and announced it at the same BlizzCon as Diablo 4

This is really just Diablo III, you can play that on Switch. There's no monetization on that either.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I mean I don't intend to play it (nor am I likely to get Diablo on Switch either, honestly, I don't really do ARPGs that much anymore), it's just that from an outside perspective it makes a lot of sense to have a Diablo for mobile.

Whether this one's any good or not or whether its monetization will sink it I have no idea

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I should have a gosh darn baby in my dang arms by this time next week. I hope that's a fun game.

:mildpanic:

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Harrow posted:

It's hard to say, because mobile gaming has a lot of baggage associated with it. When I think about mobile gaming I immediately think of pay to win microtransactions and I don't think i'm alone in that regard.

It absolutely would have flown under the radar if it was announced the same year as Diablo 4, though.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Shinjobi posted:

I should have a gosh darn baby in my dang arms by this time next week. I hope that's a fun game.

Only a week to figure out which Final Fantasy character to name your child after

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Harrow posted:

i'm trying to think if it's possible to have made this monetization any more predatory and i'm coming up with blanks

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

It's gonna be a thing alright. Come join us in the parenting thread in A/T!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arrrthritis posted:

It's hard to say, because mobile gaming has a lot of baggage associated with it. When I think about mobile gaming I immediately think of pay to win microtransactions and I don't think i'm alone in that regard.

It absolutely would have flown under the radar if it was announced the same year as Diablo 4, though.

I'm mostly basing this on Path of Exile, which kinda did two of the same things Blizzard did but it wasn't a big deal due to the different context. Path of Exile announced a mobile game, but it wasn't a big deal because they announced it at the same event where they announced Path of Exile 2--the mobile game could just be seen as a side thing rather than the "big announcement." Similarly, Path of Exile 2 is a similar thing to Overwatch 2--an expansion/overhaul titled like a sequel--but it doesn't really matter because Path of Exile is free to play so it's not like they're asking you to buy a second full-price game.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Harrow posted:

Is this what people meant by "Theme Park game design" all along? That after you guide the player through the set pieces you GOTTA make sure they walk through the gift shop in order to exit the attraction.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

IGN is showing off sonic frontiers gameplay and it sure looks like A Thing

aside from the idea of an open world sonic the hedgehog game just being loving weird, the aesthetics of it feel really off. the rails and balloons you can dash around on look like texture glitches or unfinished alpha elements from a distance, and the ancient dark souls ruins aren't blending with the more cartoony stuff like springs as well as they managed it in past titles. it's got very strong unity game vibes, for lack of a better term

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vermain posted:

IGN is showing off sonic frontiers gameplay and it sure looks like A Thing

aside from the idea of an open world sonic the hedgehog game just being loving weird, the aesthetics of it feel really off. the rails and balloons you can dash around on look like texture glitches or unfinished alpha elements. it's got very strong unity game vibes, for lack of a better term

Going by the teaser that came out yesterday, it looks like they dropped Sonic into the new version of PSO2.

edit: I clicked on the stream and wow seeing a bunch of grinding rails and platforms just floating in mid-air attached to nothing in the middle of a mostly-realistic environment is... weird.