Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

He won't, though.

Of course not. He's all about the unaccountable power of the court, because he believes it can be leveraged to suit his ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A.o.D. posted:

He can pull an Andrew Jackson and just ignore the court. SCOTUS has no organic enforcement capability.

Emulating Andrew Jackson generally should never be a course to follow.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'd love to be able to ignore the news for even a day but at the rate the fascist vermin of our country are turbo ratfucking everything within reach I'm not sure there will be much of an America left the next time I pay attention to the news.

I am beyond disgusted with the cowardice from Democrats, their policies have popular support across the country, there is no loving excuse for just sitting back and doing loving nothing.

Who cares if Republicans squeal and yell in rage? That means you're doing something right, these aren't people worth considering because they're never going to vote for a Democrat anyway. gently caress 'em.

Old people and conservatives, loving useless.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Marshal Prolapse posted:

The Court created the constitutional crisis.

You don’t have to ignore them on everything, but where they themselves violated the Constitution in their gutting of the Voting Rights Act and of treaties with Indian nations?

Ignoring them and defending the Constitution is the patriot thing to do.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The whole problem with SCOTUS is that they assumed authority that wasn't assigned to them and there are no established counters to that authority. If America has a throne, it's one One First Street, not 1600 Pennsylvania Ave or on Capitol Hill.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon posted:

You don’t have to ignore them on everything, but where they themselves violated the Constitution in their gutting of the Voting Rights Act and of treaties with Indian nations?

Less Andrew Jackson and More Abe Lincoln. Granted the time everyone thinks Lincoln ignored the Supreme Court wasn’t actually the case, Taney was acting as a circuit judge iirc.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I would vote for a Democrat that questioned the legitimacy of the Supreme Court and rubbed their noses in the poo poo they've been leaving for everyone else.

I couldn't care less about their precious decorum, it doesn't work and it's moronic to assume it might work in the future.

GOP governor's love to weigh in and make noise on national issues, Democratic governor's seem to prefer keeping quiet.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Yeah but there's a video of Trump throwing a fit that corroborates what the Secret Service guy said about him being a big baby

It's on the record, it's going to be for all of history, future Americans will know what a big baby he was

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Platystemon posted:

Yeah that's a fine sentiment and all on the surface, but you're ignoring a very important question: how.

Let's take the VRA, since you mentioned it. The Supreme Court gutted the VRA, removing preclearance requirements for states performing redistricting. So if we're ignoring the Supreme Court, this means the executive branch is doing... what, exactly? You can't just sue the states for creating racist as gently caress maps , because the courts will come back and say "well they're allowed to do that." So what's the alternative then? Send in federal police or troops to occupy state houses? Jail Republican leaders without trial until they agree to not make racist maps? Bar leaders elected from bad maps from entering Congress?

AoD, you've talked about following Andrew Jackson's example, but are you aware of what actually occurred? Because in Worchester v. Georgia, the case where Jackson is alleged to have said "John Marshall has made his decision; now let him enforce it," (Something that many historians doubt he actually said), the Supreme Court was ruling on a case where the State of Georgia was attempting to create a license system for whites living on Cherokee land, and the question at hand was whether the State had the authority to administer land that belonged to a sovereign tribe. In that case, the Supreme Court ruled against the state, but in opposing the decision Jackson didn't have to do anything—he just let the state continue to jail the individual who started the case.

What you're talking about by saying "Well the executive should just ignore the court!" isn't something simple or easy—it would be, in effect, trying to use the federal government to strongarm the states, most likely by force, to adhere to policies dictated by the sole power of the executive (Congress, presumably, being reluctant to go along with this plan).

So really, what you've actually created is the single most plausible scenario for the United States to enter into a second civil war under an extremely powerful, authoritarian dictatorship.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Except maybe threatening to hang the first secessionist you see from the nearest tree.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

In not-awful news, and I still have a hard time believing we managed this, but Jacinda managed to sign a free trade agreement with the entire EU.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/470119/new-zealand-and-european-union-secure-historic-free-trade-deal

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

In not-awful news, and I still have a hard time believing we managed this, but Jacinda managed to sign a free trade agreement with the entire EU.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/470119/new-zealand-and-european-union-secure-historic-free-trade-deal

The only important thing is to get more episodes of Wellington paranormal out of this?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Oh sweet we’ll finally be able to cheaply import…

Sheeps?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

maffew buildings posted:

Yeah but there's a video of Trump throwing a fit that corroborates what the Secret Service guy said about him being a big baby

It's on the record, it's going to be for all of history, future Americans will know what a big baby he was

lol future americans

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

The only important thing is to get more episodes of Wellington paranormal out of this?

Wellington paranormal is an awesome show.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ASAPI posted:

Wellington paranormal is an awesome show.

It really is, just perfect casting, and pretty cool effects work for a tv show, and the writing is just :kiss:

My daughter loves to watch it with us it’s kind of a family activity for the three of us.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The Austin cyclist love triangle murderer got bagged in Costa Rica after six weeks on the run.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1542544380506120193?t=oSOontbMEl3pMP28PSEysg&s=19

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yeah that's a fine sentiment and all on the surface, but you're ignoring a very important question: how.

Let's take the VRA, since you mentioned it. The Supreme Court gutted the VRA, removing preclearance requirements for states performing redistricting. So if we're ignoring the Supreme Court, this means the executive branch is doing... what, exactly? You can't just sue the states for creating racist as gently caress maps , because the courts will come back and say "well they're allowed to do that." So what's the alternative then? Send in federal police or troops to occupy state houses? Jail Republican leaders without trial until they agree to not make racist maps? Bar leaders elected from bad maps from entering Congress?

AoD, you've talked about following Andrew Jackson's example, but are you aware of what actually occurred? Because in Worchester v. Georgia, the case where Jackson is alleged to have said "John Marshall has made his decision; now let him enforce it," (Something that many historians doubt he actually said), the Supreme Court was ruling on a case where the State of Georgia was attempting to create a license system for whites living on Cherokee land, and the question at hand was whether the State had the authority to administer land that belonged to a sovereign tribe. In that case, the Supreme Court ruled against the state, but in opposing the decision Jackson didn't have to do anything—he just let the state continue to jail the individual who started the case.

What you're talking about by saying "Well the executive should just ignore the court!" isn't something simple or easy—it would be, in effect, trying to use the federal government to strongarm the states, most likely by force, to adhere to policies dictated by the sole power of the executive (Congress, presumably, being reluctant to go along with this plan).

So really, what you've actually created is the single most plausible scenario for the United States to enter into a second civil war under an extremely powerful, authoritarian dictatorship.

I'm not seriously advocating ignoring the Supreme Court. I was just responding to a question about what the president can do. Other than making a bunch of useless noise about what should be done, the options of the executive as the extremely limited and are mostly outside of accepted norms.

Here's what we should do: tear it all down and start over. The fascists have discovered the levers by which the American experiment can be destroyed. We need new checks and new balances or they'll eventually use the arsenal of freedom to set the whole world on fire, because to be a fascist is to be perpetually at war with everyone.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

A.o.D. posted:

Here's what we should do: tear it all down and start over. The fascists have discovered the levers by which the American experiment can be destroyed. We need new checks and new balances or they'll eventually use the arsenal of freedom to set the whole world on fire, because to be a fascist is to be perpetually at war with everyone.
Sounds like something that would itself require a violent and bloody civil war that the baddies are better armed and organized to win, cowardly though they are, particularly as they're fine dividing and conquering while everyone to their left seems more eager to turn on each other than temporarily unite against a common enemy.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
I'm sure a constitutional convention will go swimmingly

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I'm sure staying the course will have a better result.

For the purposes of this discussion, yelling at your politicians to DO SOMETHING is very much business as usual.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Guys the white supremacists have been working this for decades.

The loving war on drugs and the border war was founded and maintained on stomping out minority leadership and has been upheld by multiple administrations.

The FBI literally assassinated Fred Hampton in his home. The feds and cops got together and decided no racism happened in 2020 with strange fruit in the trees of California for the love of God. They flew spy planes over protests and declared being anti-fascist was a loving terrorist act.

Wake up!
It's party time!

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Are we back in the cool zone?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

FrozenVent posted:

Oh sweet we’ll finally be able to cheaply import…

Sheeps?

Lots of good meat & dairy that are too expensive for us to buy in nz :smith:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

A.o.D. posted:

I'm sure staying the course will have a better result.

For the purposes of this discussion, yelling at your politicians to DO SOMETHING is very much business as usual.
It's a good thing we're not somehow stuck with a false dichotomy of REVOLUTION NOW and STAY THE COURSE. There's a lot that can be done right now that would help better our chances of either righting the ship or burning it down and rebuilding, but folks seem to be frothing at the mouth to prematurely be seen as the side giving up on America first.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

BUG JUG posted:

Ice cold. Fascist coup in 2024, a Proud Boy executes on your front lawn 2026.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

BUG JUG posted:

We never left.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

USC and UCLA have both officially announced that they are joining the Big 10.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

SquirrelyPSU posted:

USC and UCLA have both officially announced that they are joining the Big 10.

The Big Ten - Now with 16 members from coast-to-coast

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
BIG 10+

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

They're expressing it in hexadecimal now.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Midjack posted:

They're expressing it in hexadecimal now.

That's going to be a weird logo.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
BIG $10

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BUG JUG posted:

In my opinion we won't re-enter the cool zone unless people left of the Klan start doing things en masse to try to counter the rising tide of fascism.

Note: DNC fundraising does not count as "doing things", and I'm also not sure how much the DNC counts as "left of the Klan" these days.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
We will not enter a cool zone, but rather smaller pockets, known as spheres of chill. And you'll never know where they come from and if they involve guns or not!

https://twitter.com/nyeem0/status/1541778075054129155

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1542631455188189186

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Did Cole take another cruise?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

60 person? HOW?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

60 person? HOW?

One at a time, and don't skimp on the lube.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Well when you're drunk and drinking as you're throwing a punch and then the ship rocks a little so you're seeing goes wide and hits someone else, or someone starts chucking shoes and misses...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

60 person? HOW?

You've never been in a hexacontacule relationship? How prude.