Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
In June, 2022, it was announced that Owlcat Games would release a Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader game.

Owlcat Games

* Owlcat Games is a Russian Developer who have previously released two Pathfinder RPG Computer Games, Kingmaker, and Wrath of the Righteous), but this will be their first effort in the Warhammer Universe.

* Before you immediately associate Owlcat with the current Ukrainian Hellwar, they have announced they are moving many of their programmers to neighboring countries as a result of the invasion)

* Past couple games have been 100 plus hour games that were buggy/janky on release, but actually turned pretty drat good after some patching (could this be why it looks like the game will release in Beta/Early Access to everyone?)

What is a Rogue Trader?

Well, there's the official version and the Grimdark version:

Press Release Description posted:

You will take on the role of a Rogue Trader, a scion of an ancient dynasty of daring privateers, that reign over their own merchant empire and explore the fringes of Imperial space with the blessing of the Emperor Himself. Thanks to their Warrant of Trade – the Rogue Trader is endowed with privileges and power beyond imagination as well as the task of expanding the borders of the Imperium. At their disposal is a gargantuan voidship of immense power and innumerable servants and personnel ready to do the bidding of their lord. Their adventures begin in the vast Koronus Expanse—a treacherous region of unexplored space at the edge of Humanity’s domain.

Exploration will bring the protagonist to mysterious lost and forgotten worlds as well as numerous planets claimed by humanity—from lush Agri-Worlds to steel-clad Forge Worlds, all of them ready to be claimed for your burgeoning merchant empire or plundered for their riches. While traveling between the stars, get ready to come across potential allies and dangerous enemies of the Imperium, Chaos cults and alien Xenos counting among the most treacherous and deadly.

You will make fateful decisions that affect the lives of entire worlds. You will prove your strategic and tactical skills in high-impact turn-based battles against powerful opponents.

No Rogue Trader travels alone: on this dangerous journey into the unknown, you will meet faithful and sophisticated companions. Imagine fighting alongside a mighty power armored Space Marine, a lethal Aeldari Ranger, or even a courageous Sister of Battle armed with bolter and ardent prayer—these characters and many others will join you.

In-Universe: A Rogue Trader is authorized by the Imperium to find new planets to allow the Imperium of Man to expand and trade outside of the Imperium's boundaries. They are the Imperium's explorers and wanderers.

Grimdark: Imagine the most grimdark fascist star nation possible (who claims that all these external threats require fascism to survive). Rogue Traders are the combination evil merchants and Conquistadors finding new planets and determining if the planet is worth invading and taking over.

Videos/System

* It looks like they will be using the Fantasy Flight Games Rogue Trader system (a percentile based/roll under mechanic) for their game (source: https://twitter.com/OwlcatGames/status/1532073794839318528)

Edit: Owlcat Games twitter feed said the game will be based on the Rogue Trader RPG rules, but not slavishly adhere to them, and turn-based (https://twitter.com/OwlcatGames/status/1532469152539107338)

* Announcement video and brief teaser video Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4VUmndj9rw

When does the game come out?

* Game is currently being offered for pre-order, with a variety of options, including a $99 developer's Pack that will offer Alpha access, but it looks like all pre-orders will qualify for beta access.

https://roguetrader.owlcat.games/preorder/en/compare

* Game will release on PC (all storefronts) and consoles (although the past couple games have had multiple years between PC and Console release, so it's likely that there will be a significant break between the PC release and the Console Release)

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
(2nd Post reserved for bits about the game as it's known)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

This may have the dubious honor of being the second 40k game to interest me in the past ten years, the only other being BFGA2. And that's because big boats and big explosion and big pretty.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Hopefully, they roll out the alpha relatively soon.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I couldn't bring myself to pay for alpha access. At least beta will probably have a semi-playable game.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Couple of things for the second post:

Confirmed for PC and consoles (though who knows if it’s coming to console at launch, probably unlikely)
System is based off the Fantasy Flight Games RPG

Cannibal Llama
Jan 3, 2020

Cannibal Llama sounds like it could be a zany intentional throwback to mid OOs Penguin of Doom tier usernames but it also sounds like it could be the name of the lamest possible Metal Gear Solid boss so please don't make fun of it.
Said it before and I'll say it again - Whacky Ork mercenary/Blood Axe companion who's always encouraging you to pick the options that will lead to violence during dialogue(and if you pick enough you gain positive influence with him)(( possibly leading to a ROMANCE?!?!)) or else this game will be bad.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

CottonWolf posted:

Couple of things for the second post:

Confirmed for PC and consoles (though who knows if it’s coming to console at launch, probably unlikely)
System is based off the Fantasy Flight Games RPG

No current plans to bring it to the console, but they're looking into it.

Found a source for the FFG system.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cannibal Llama posted:

Said it before and I'll say it again - Whacky Ork mercenary/Blood Axe companion who's always encouraging you to pick the options that will lead to violence during dialogue(and if you pick enough you gain positive influence with him)(( possibly leading to a ROMANCE?!?!)) or else this game will be bad.

Gotta gently caress the xenos to get the full RT experience.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Warmachine posted:

Gotta gently caress the xenos to get the full RT experience.

Especially an Eldar. It'd give new meaning to the phrase "Wild mon-keigh sex"

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

SirFozzie posted:

Especially an Eldar. It'd give new meaning to the phrase "Wild mon-keigh sex"

Oops All Slaanesh

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
But Pathfinder already has daemons...

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

SirFozzie posted:

No current plans to bring it to the console, but they're looking into it.

That’s not what Eurogamer said. Also, the official FAQ has a question saying “Will it be possible to preorder on Xbox/PS4?”, to which the answer is:

Owlcat posted:

Unfortunately, no. RT Founder’s Packs are intended strictly for the PC version, not consoles.

That presumes the existence of a console version. So it’s really a question of when it’s releasing, not whether it exists.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 3, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Where did they confirm there's no RTWP feature?

If it's exclusively a turn based srpg style game it has to have way less combat with less trash enemies in general otherwise it bogs down the entire experience something fierce.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

CottonWolf posted:

That’s not what Eurogamer [url=“https://www.eurogamer.net/warhammer-40000-rogue-trader-is-a-crpg-from-the-developer-of-pathfinder%94]said[/url]. Also, the official FAQ has a question saying “Will it be possible to preorder on Xbox/PS4?”, to which the answer is:

That presumes the existence of a console version. So it’s really a question of when it’s releasing, not whether it exists.

That's what I get for trusting an article without reading the linked tweet. (source: https://www.altchar.com/game-news/w40k-rogue-trader-intriguing-details-that-werent-shown-at-announcement-awHfW4s9omeb

pentyne posted:

Where did they confirm there's no RTWP feature?

If it's exclusively a turn based srpg style game it has to have way less combat with less trash enemies in general otherwise it bogs down the entire experience something fierce.

https://twitter.com/OwlcatGames/status/1532357333069742083

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

games gonna own, either in the actually good way or the lol lmao what is this launch way

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Psycho Landlord posted:

games gonna own, either in the actually good way or the lol lmao what is this launch way

It's Owlcat, we're getting 2 for 1 :allears:

Emperor help me, I cannot loving wait for this. I'll be turning to Slaanesh or Nurgle just to make the pain bearable.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
If they stick too closely to the pnp rules the character builds are going insane, like clearing an entire room in a single turn insane.

I read the deep dive explanation into RT ruleset, and the original penalties for pyskers using their powers depended a lot on a GM deciding what bad thing happens. In fact, a lot of the criticism of the rules as written were about arbitrary GM decisions and how a lot of it was basically meaningless % increases to your "wealth" status.

This really needs to be the game where they dial back the rear end in a top hat GM design ideas. Melee combat seems like it's killed or be killed in a single round and ranged weapons can include anti tank weapons that per the damage stats can kill almost anything human sized per hit.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

pentyne posted:

If they stick too closely to the pnp rules the character builds are going insane, like clearing an entire room in a single turn insane.

I read the deep dive explanation into RT ruleset, and the original penalties for pyskers using their powers depended a lot on a GM deciding what bad thing happens. In fact, a lot of the criticism of the rules as written were about arbitrary GM decisions and how a lot of it was basically meaningless % increases to your "wealth" status.

This really needs to be the game where they dial back the rear end in a top hat GM design ideas. Melee combat seems like it's killed or be killed in a single round and ranged weapons can include anti tank weapons that per the damage stats can kill almost anything human sized per round.

So you are saying we could play literal rocket tag.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I ran the FFG RPG for eight years and I think it is hilarious that they will base a computer game on that.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

ZearothK posted:

I ran the FFG RPG for eight years and I think it is hilarious that they will base a computer game on that.

I ran a lot of Black Crusade games and had a great time with it, but god it was hard to make combat encounters for mixed Space Marine/Humans parties (and not make some players feel useless). I know this one will only have that Space Wolf but I bet it will still mess up balancing

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Ideally humans can use some xeno or archeo tech to balance the odds. Or hopefully you can hire alien mercs.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I wonder to what extent the game will feature the more minor xenos races, the ones without army books but have lore or art. Your Hrud or Jokaero or Rak'gol.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Mordja posted:

I wonder to what extent the game will feature the more minor xenos races, the ones without army books but have lore or art. Your Hrud or Jokaero or Rak'gol.

Given they called it out as being in Koronus as a marketing point I'm sure Rak'ghol, hrud, and umbra will make appearances. Halo devices too.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Is the Umbra that weird orb from the Astartes web series?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

my general dislike of CRPGs is gonna be tested hard if this is any good

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Mordja posted:

Is the Umbra that weird orb from the Astartes web series?

Nah they're basically just 40k shoggoths. No one knows where they come from and they were created for the rpgs to scare deathwatch and high end rogue trader players.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Psycho Landlord posted:

Nah they're basically just 40k shoggoths. No one knows where they come from and they were created for the rpgs to scare deathwatch and high end rogue trader players.

I think it's been implied elsewhere is that they were one of the gods killed in the War in heaven, and their pieces scattered to the universe.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

pentyne posted:

Ideally humans can use some xeno or archeo tech to balance the odds. Or hopefully you can hire alien mercs.

I really hope we get one of those weird Ork psykers. I want to turn people into squigs.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

I think it's been implied elsewhere is that they were one of the gods killed in the War in heaven, and their pieces scattered to the universe.

Oh right, LINGER and all that

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CottonWolf posted:

I really hope we get one of those weird Ork psykers. I want to turn people into squigs.

One of my favourite parts of the sourcebook that gave us the rules for Ork Weirdboyz was their ability 'Da Big Shout', which allows them to send astropathic messages by shouting as loud as possible, and the books says that the player has the option to do so as well :allears:

Psycho Landlord posted:

Oh right, LINGER and all that

Yeah; I thought it had something to do with a Hrud deity, but I got that mixed up with some fanworks I was involved in a while back :shobon:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
so a random question ima drop in here - there were tons of lore dumps in the Pathfinder CRPG thread, which is fine, but i was getting tons of mixed messages from them. a lot of the same posters who loved the lore and detailed the sci-fi setting and poo poo also said that 40k was a satire and you're never supposed to take it seriously and that it's funny. and i just don't really understand what folks get out of the setting as a result, I think. Warhammer Fantasy did a mix of playing it straight and being pretty corny that I liked, but also was clearly not just trying to be a cartoon. (except ofc when it was and it owned). is the lore cool and engaging, or satire and silly?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
It's whatever you take from it. There's a ton of stuff there, and you can engage with it as seriously as you want. The product and the lore have evolved quite a bit in the past 30 years. There's satire there, and also a lot of way-too-serious tryhard poo poo, and increasingly nowadays there's even good, serious storytelling. You can find as much cool and engaging stuff as you like. You can also find Inquisitor Sherlock Obi-Wan Clousseau. Just don't give yourself terminal brain poisoning and you'll be fine. It's just a game.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
sorry im sure i'm coming off more argumentative than i intend. my takeaway from that sort of description is just that it's.. another really grimdark "look how GRITTY our storytelling is" sort of thing, where people take the piss out of it occasionally, and that it's as a result.. just kind of skindeep. i dunno.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The all silly satire stuff is either spin off board games from the 80s or people meme posting the very first table top source book from the same time frame. For the majority of its life span 40k has taken itself seriously and occasionally has some comic relief like Warhammer Fantasy. Sometimes with especially bad writers both would become way too self serious.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Lady Radia posted:

sorry im sure i'm coming off more argumentative than i intend. my takeaway from that sort of description is just that it's.. another really grimdark "look how GRITTY our storytelling is" sort of thing, where people take the piss out of it occasionally, and that it's as a result.. just kind of skindeep. i dunno.

Nah, you're good. There are distinct eras of 'hams that are exactly what you describe. In the past few years they have tried very, very hard to step away from that and be serious, but still grim and dark.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Terrible Opinions posted:

The all silly satire stuff is either spin off board games from the 80s or people meme posting the very first table top source book from the same time frame. For the majority of its life span 40k has taken itself seriously and occasionally has some comic relief like Warhammer Fantasy. Sometimes with especially bad writers both would become way too self serious.

Okay even I know this is incorrect. Warhammer was originally a fantasy setting, made in 1983. In 1987, Warhammer 40k was made as a largely satirical product, riffing on British culture at the time as well as British nerd culture's then-preference for what they would define as "grimdark" storytelling* (similar to how 1986's Blood Bowl was a parody of American football using the original Warhammer setting). It then rapidly became much more serious due in large part to a ton of people doing the "Wow! Cool robot!" meme at it. Some of the serious stuff is also good, other stuff is bad, and how much you like it will depend largely on both which specific 40k property you're engaging with, and how much you enjoy such a bleak setting.

*SEE: Judge Dredd, et al.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

theres plenty of sincere earnest stuff in 40k but the setting as a whole is intentionally too stupid to make sense or be taken seriously. thats what people mean when they describe it as satirical

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

Okay even I know this is incorrect. Warhammer was originally a fantasy setting, made in 1983. In 1987, Warhammer 40k was made as a largely satirical product, riffing on British culture at the time as well as British nerd culture's then-preference for what they would define as "grimdark" storytelling* (similar to how 1986's Blood Bowl was a parody of American football using the original Warhammer setting). It then rapidly became much more serious due in large part to a ton of people doing the "Wow! Cool robot!" meme at it. Some of the serious stuff is also good, other stuff is bad, and how much you like it will depend largely on both which specific 40k property you're engaging with, and how much you enjoy such a bleak setting.

*SEE: Judge Dredd, et al.
Yes I was referring to modern Warhammer Fantasy which Radia was familiar with before. Everything you are talking about with regard to satire is almost entirely from the first Rogue Trader book in the 80s the very first table top source book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Lady Radia posted:

so a random question ima drop in here - there were tons of lore dumps in the Pathfinder CRPG thread, which is fine, but i was getting tons of mixed messages from them. a lot of the same posters who loved the lore and detailed the sci-fi setting and poo poo also said that 40k was a satire and you're never supposed to take it seriously and that it's funny. and i just don't really understand what folks get out of the setting as a result, I think. Warhammer Fantasy did a mix of playing it straight and being pretty corny that I liked, but also was clearly not just trying to be a cartoon. (except ofc when it was and it owned). is the lore cool and engaging, or satire and silly?

I'm one of the "you flatly cannot take 40k seriously" people and what I get out of it is that as stupid and ludicrous as the setting is it owns. It's just a bucket of cool ideas thrown together into a metal album cover and wrapped in a layer of the purplest prose that has ever been laid to paper. This is a setting where space huns ride warbikes out of passing dropships to lay into demons and robot space Egyptians with swords made out of chainsaws.

Like "The planet broke before the Guard did," is a loving badass line and the story its a quote from is just one absurdity after another leading up to a bunch of dudes fighting a desperate hold out action against a horde of literal demons while the planet they're on explodes around them and the galaxy is being visibly torn in half in the sky overhead. That's a cool fuckin image, and images like that are why I care about warhammer despite my inability to ever take it seriously.

Also orks.