Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rageaholic posted:

...did the iPad not have weather before?

It has a widget and you can ask Siri for weather info, but never a proper weather.app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Treading on CollaNote's turf I see.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jose Oquendo posted:

It has a widget and you can ask Siri for weather info, but never a proper weather.app.
Huh, that seems pretty backwards.

Freeform? So iPadOS gets the ABC Family network now?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Freeform seems like it would be pretty useful so of course my work will continue to use use email for everything.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Using free form to write "I want to die" on a work call

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Data Graham posted:

Hahahahhaa what the fuuuuuuuuck was that Craig transition

Laughed out loud at that. Even ran his fingers through his hair. Hilarious.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Unironically hyped about changing files extensions in files.app

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

No M2 iPad?

Secht
Oct 5, 2012
Hello, fully external display support!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Here's a crazy idea for getting desktop-class apps on iPad: Add desktop apps on iPad.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Finally, iOS16 supports swap.avi

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

CBD Corndog posted:

Finally, iOS16 supports swap.avi

Gonna download the beta and test this out.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

What kind of wonderful life do they lead where all they do is plan trips?

I want this job.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Dev betas today. Yay. Gonna install it on all my poo poo and complain about broken apps.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
No new Mac Pro announced. drat you Apple!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Maybe I’ll finally upgrade my big iPad Pro

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Kirios posted:

No M2 iPad?

Past few years they have had ipad centric events at some point before the holidays.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Looks like iTunes shambles on for another year

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Given the audience of the keynote and how many of the new features are API based, Tim Apple really needs to start threatening violence against the devs. Incorporate what we've done or there will be hell to pay. Stop using poo poo workarounds in your code and incorporate the APIs you fucks.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
wheres the one more thing

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Anton Chigurh posted:

I think it's manufacturing constraints impacting a lot of this. They could easily do silent refreshes on a lot of their products, just using the M2 instead but it's those constraints. I work in an enterprise environment and we buy right from Apple. Even just a base model of an iPad or MBA has a ship time of several weeks. Any CTO models can take months.

Edward Mass posted:

wheres the one more thing

I can't remember the last time they did one of those.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Jose Oquendo posted:

No no this year we're SERIOUS about gaming.

Yeah, I expected a lot more. Very disappointed with what they showed.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think it's manufacturing constraints impacting a lot of this. They could easily do silent refreshes on a lot of their products, just using the M2 instead but it's those constraints. I work in an enterprise environment and we buy right from Apple. Even just a base model of an iPad or MBA has a ship time of several weeks. Any CTO models can take months.

Yep, that makes sense.

Might also be because they want to introduce the new Mac Pro in its own event, or at least one where the focus is hardware.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Anton Chigurh posted:

I mean... just give me a predictable upgrade cycle.

I'll be curious to see if they cycle through the same products with M2 as they did with M1.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
I don't think people understand who huge the CarPlay announcement is. If this plays out as promised, some of the biggest automakers are giving Apple the UI to their cars. This is the Apple car, you just get to pick out what brand you want it in.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Pretty disappointed in the lack of Apple Music updates (did I miss it?), but definitely excited for...

-Lockscreen widgets!
-Better Carplay
-iMessage updates
-Homekit

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

When will apple make another plastic macbook

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

teagone posted:

When will apple make another plastic macbook

Apple doesn't make devices for poors. Those things chipped to poo poo around the topcase, anyways.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
A sad day, my 2014 Mac Mini isn't getting Ventura.

Now I can finally talk myself into upgrading

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gay Retard posted:

Apple doesn't make devices for poors. Those things chipped to poo poo around the topcase, anyways.

Why do I have an iPhone SE then?

:colbert:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I'm quite pissed off at Apple deprecating iPads as HomeKit bridge in iOS/iPadOS 16, I have no use for AppleTV or HomePod so I will have to move the automations back to the native smart home apps.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

teagone posted:

Why do I have an iPhone SE then?

:colbert:

I’m sorry about your small hands, but Apple believes technology should be accessible to everyone.

I appreciate Apple trying to make widgets useful for more than a handful of people, I love the dictation changes, and I hope Stage Manager isn’t as clunky as it looked in the demo but the rest of iOS/IPad stuff looks like gimmicks for edge use cases and/or Apple being two years late to the pandemic party and still trying to make up for lost opportunities in 2020. That or Apple people are far more social and take more group trips than anyone I care to associate with.

The MacBook Air looks great and all, but the M2(hundred more bucks. gently caress you, pay me) seems like a trap if the rumors about M3 pan out.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I’m sorry about your small hands, but Apple believes technology should be accessible to everyone.

I can palm a basketball! And if Apple believes technology should be accessible to everyone, they should make a cheapo M1 plastic MacBook for us poors.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I love this. Switching back and forth between Authy and the site/app asking for my 2FA has always been a pain.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
That is dope.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah that's a great quality of life feature :allears:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

GoatSeeGuy posted:

The MacBook Air looks great and all, but the M2(hundred more bucks. gently caress you, pay me) seems like a trap if the rumors about M3 pan out.

$200 more.

These look to be all the features you get with M2 on a Macbook Air

-M2 Upgrade which is 20% Faster?
-10 vs 7 core GPU
-1080p vs 720p camera
-4 Speaker Spatial Audio system vs 2 Speaker Stereo
-13.6” Liquid Retina display vs. 13.3” Retina display
-Media Engine w/ hardware acceleration for ProRes, H264, etc. (this is missing in the Mac Comparison tool, does the old M1 not have this?)
-New design w/ a noth
-Configurable up to 24GB of RAM
-Headphone jack with advanced support for high-impedance headphones
-Fast-charge capable with available 67W USB-C Power Adapter

Basically... that's a lot of stuff the average person probably doesn't need. I find it fascinating that they are still selling and supporting base M1 Macs though for a $200 up sell. Wouldn't it be easier to release all the base M2 machines at once and then just discontinue the base M1? It seems like they've abandoned the M1 MacBook Pro, and I assume they'll do the same to the M1 Mini. Maybe they felt like this was enough new features to justify two tiers of Macbook Air

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Or they just are going to keep selling them while they have stock like the Intel macs.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

teagone posted:

I can palm a basketball! And if Apple believes technology should be accessible to everyone, they should make a cheapo M1 plastic MacBook for us poors.

That’s the key, I’m not sure Apple considers poors people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

GoatSeeGuy posted:

That’s the key, I’m not sure Apple considers poors people.

Haha, true.