Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://twitter.com/ecthrowdown/status/1565081997571043330?s=20&t=NQNHcuBPiqBNOYSXolZZiQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Any guides or template for mapping keyboard for fighting games? I am interested in getting a mixbox or hitbox but just want to feel playing a fighting game on non controller.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Ulio posted:

Any guides or template for mapping keyboard for fighting games? I am interested in getting a mixbox or hitbox but just want to feel playing a fighting game on non controller.

A/S/D/Space for Left/Down/Right/Up, attacks on whatever feels good and doesn't cause ghosting.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Ulio posted:

I think

W = Left
E = Down
F= Right
Space = Jump would feel really close to a hitbox actually

then your 8 button layout would be something like

Y U I O
H J K L

At least, that feels pretty much like my snackbox micro?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Ulio posted:

I usually do:

code:
 W           UIO
ASD          JKL

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Starting work on a new arcade stick. This going to be a revision of the design I posted earlier in the thread. The previous stick was perfectly fine for lap-based use, but really shined as something you could put on a coffee table and bang on when playing old arcade games. This new one will be about half to two-thirds the size of the original, to make it far more portable, and comfier on the lap. I'm stilling hoping to incorporate all of the stick, buttons, spinner, and trackball as the original, so some tweaking of the design will be needed, but I think I can fit it all in while still keeping a good layout. I'll be reusing the art though, tweaked for the new layout of course, because I really like it and it suits it being a revision of an existing design.

Below is the case I've put together, minus the side panels. Clearly cribbed from the design of Junk Food Arcades' Snack Box controllers. More updates to come...

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Routed the top and bottom panels, so now I'm able to fit the side panels. There's a small gap visible at the bottom edge of the side panels, but I'm planning to put some rubber strips in the routed channels they sit in to keep the snug, and allow for wood contraction and expansion. That'll drop the side panels down a bit, and fill the visible gap. Also messing around with control placement with the paper templates I have affixed to the top panel.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Welp. That's a start I guess. Maybe I'll even finish this month.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Saint Freak posted:

Welp. That's a start I guess. Maybe I'll even finish this month.

for a half a second I thought this was the bottom half of someone flipped upside down

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Medullah posted:

for a half a second I thought this was the bottom half of someone flipped upside down

Arcade Mech (patent pending) will be the first fully-mobile 12 ft. tall mechanized arcade cabinet. Finally the arcade comes to you.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I've got an old Agetec Dreamcast arcade stick with the board of a crappy third-party 360 controller in it to use on PC games, and I want to replace the stick and buttons on it with good modern ones. What are your recommendations on what brand buttons or stick to look at?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

A good poster posted:

I've got an old Agetec Dreamcast arcade stick with the board of a crappy third-party 360 controller in it to use on PC games, and I want to replace the stick and buttons on it with good modern ones. What are your recommendations on what brand buttons or stick to look at?

Sanwa or Seimitsu are the gold standard.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Just keep in mind that they're not drop-in replacements, there's going to be some dremeling involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdr316imXYs

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I know, I already bought a dremel.

Is there just the one standard size for the screw-hole on the stick's ball-top? I'm hoping I can just re-use the green one on the stick now and not buy a separate one.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

A good poster posted:

Is there just the one standard size for the screw-hole on the stick's ball-top? I'm hoping I can just re-use the green one on the stick now and not buy a separate one.

I've only ever seen balltops be the same size thread (m6).

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

A good poster posted:

It should fit, but if you're replacing the buttons anyway you might as well get a new balltop that matches them. (The stock one might be a slightly different shade of green than Sanwa buttons.)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hi i have a couple old sticks and i'd like help deciding which is the easiest to convert into a leverless hitbox

I have the chun li sfv te2 for ps4 and the original razer panthera, not the evo.

I was looking online for parts and it seems like both would work but i have some questions:

1. Is socd necessary or do most modern games just do it for you and you don't need one.
Focus attack has a self branded socd chip advertising opposing inputs = neutral, which i think isn't how all the cool kids play now since i see daigo is out there holding back the whole time while he's spamming sonic booms.
They also have a programmable option they claim is for cheaters. Idk what to do.

2. Is the 30mm shiokenstar layout worth aiming for if i'm comfortable with that size for attack buttons on my stick already or do people that play on all 24mm buttons find that they love having smaller buttons? Im open to a switch but I have dozens of silenced sanwa 30mm buttons lying around and would like to use them instead of buying a whole new set of 24mm that don't seem to have a silent option easily available online. if i can get away with only buying 3x24mm for the directions i would be happy.

So if i wanted to do the te2:
Allfightsticks has a metal plate that replaces the plexi in both standard 24mm and shiokenstar patterns.
I would need a harness to connect the directions to the pcb.
If i need a socd i could power it by taking apart the led light on the te2 case and using its power wires which have little connectors on them or i could learn to solder i guess.

If i wanted to do the panthera:
Focus attack sells an all in one kit but only in 24mm attack button size. I would also be wrecking my main stick which has me a little leery.
socd seems easier to do on panthera because FA sells an adapter for power that plugs into the pcb so i don't need to steal 5v from something else in the case or solder a new wire.

Anyway thanks for reading my cry for help. Please let me know whats up.
Reading this back it seems like the te2 is the cheaper/safer option for me but maybe im stupid (i am)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Now i found a random site saying the panthera has built in socd cleaning?? This is confusing the heck out of me.

https://arcadeshock.com/products/mas-electronics-socd-board

Why does focus attack want to sell me special cables for connecting a socd cleaner to panthera power supply if panthera has socd on the board? or does it not? Or is it moot cause modern games will clean input for me?

https://focusattack.com/power-passthrough-harness-for-fa-so-cd-razer-panthera/

This stuff is pretty fun to wade into learn about at least.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
You can test it yourself pretty easily by opening up the panel and pressing the left and right micro switches at the same time with a screwdriver while looking at the inputs.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Smart but also i just realized you cant get a new panthera panel on without a heat gun so i'm going with the te2

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 14, 2022

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

So i got the chun li te2 cleaned out and retrieved the latch button led power cables (circled) for the socd board. Supposedly a random commenter on a random youtube vid says those wires just insert into the focus attack brand socd and it works. We will find out.

Bit of a wild goose chase looking for them. i misunderstood the random youtube comment and took the whole lid apart looking for power cables in the lid buttons pcb (crossed out). That wasted about 40 mins before i realized he meant the button that opens the case, not the setting controls on top.
Working on a crazy patterned rug and losing a bunch of screws every 2 seconds didnt help my time score either lol.
Also whoever designed the extra plastic ring around the te2 sanwas that causes the buttons to break if you try to remove them is a huge rear end in a top hat. I saved enough of them to make my black and yellow scheme work i think but a few too many tabs snapped right off cause that loving ring gives them nowhere to go.

Anyway now to wait ??? weeks for the new plate and parts to come. All in, i got everything for 50 bucks but got a little owned on shipping costs - especially the steal plate so it kinda stings.

In the meantime i gotta figure out how to make the lid sit more flush with the side edges of the case. Maybe they are just bowed and creaky cause theres no plate screwed in to make it rigid. Idk we'll see. Its not that bad.

Thanks for having this thread for me to post and read back my thoughts on this stuff. I'll post the conclusion of the build when i get the pieces i need.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Layout is slow work. Painting is slow work. But everything is cut at least.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
This will be super cool when it's finished!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Is there a such thing as a 4 person game that needs this many buttons? Probably not, but I have them so may as well keep it even I suppose. Eventually I'd like to do a art wrap of some kind, so I made a call to keep stuff pretty close to the front to give a nice big uninterrupted space for 'an art'.

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

This will be super cool when it's finished!

It better be or I'm going to cry.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

sf ex3 had 4 player mode on ps2 so you could play that with all them buttons

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Quick update on my old-school arcade controller. Got the art back today, beautiful job by Retro Labs. Next is to start drilling the holes. I find it's easier to finalize my art on the computer, and place point markers where I will drill holes. Then I can apply the art to the controller face, center-punch the drill points, then remove the art with a hobby blade where the holes will be drilled. Easier than pre-drilling your panel, and then trying to perfectly line up your art to match with the holes when you're applying it. Not a huge issue if your art is position independent, but if you have borders or other elements that have to line up with button holes, it can be a real pain trying to perfectly align art with pre-drilled holes.

After that will be T-Molding, attaching the controls, wiring, and final assembly. Should be done tomorrow, barring anything unforseen.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Confirming the te2 latch button's led power cables can supply the socd and that this is a solder free mod :feelsgood:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Dang it! Project is on hold for a bit. I didn't realize the threads only started half-way in on the insert-nuts I was using to mount the trackball in the controller. So my mounting bolts are about 10mm too short to grab the threads. And with the tight confines inside, it looks like I'll need to get a right-angle USB cable to go from the Ipac to the neutrik port. Oh well, stuff will be delivered in a few days and final assembly can happen.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Dang it! Project is on hold for a bit. I didn't realize the threads only started half-way in on the insert-nuts I was using to mount the trackball in the controller. So my mounting bolts are about 10mm too short to grab the threads. And with the tight confines inside, it looks like I'll need to get a right-angle USB cable to go from the Ipac to the neutrik port. Oh well, stuff will be delivered in a few days and final assembly can happen.

whered you order your ipac from? i was gonna order this week but realized ultimarc is UK based.

I could do paradise arcade, but im in CT so literally anywhere else but alaska in the US would be closer than them

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

whered you order your ipac from? i was gonna order this week but realized ultimarc is UK based.

I could do paradise arcade, but im in CT so literally anywhere else but alaska in the US would be closer than them

I'm in Canada, so I buy from Retroactive Arcade.

You could buy from T-Molding though. They right in CT, so probably the closest to you. I actually bought my t-molding direct from them, since I needed 1/2" which is not a common size that other places carry, and it came drat quick even across the border. You could get something from them in a day or two probably.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

oh poo poo thats awesome, ordered now

thanks for that info

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

Real hurthling! posted:

Confirming the te2 latch button's led power cables can supply the socd and that this is a solder free mod :feelsgood:

You may want to invest in wire strippers

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Finished a stick mod project! :woop:
Stock madcatz Chun li sfv te2 --> cheap diy hitbox
Total cost: 50 bucks + shipping

Paying homage to the original stick with the chun li te2 yellow buttons. Kept the 30mm attack button look. The allfightstick metal plate is gorgeous and the texture is amazing.

Wiring the focus attack socd wasnt too bad.
I retrieved the power cables from the led embedded in the latch of the case and everything was easy to install and secure

I dont even miss the latch led because the translucent chun li blue case lets this bright as gently caress socd through from all angles.

Anyway this was a super easy mod with no soldering or skill required besides taking the latch apart and putting it back together correctly and now im way more proud of this than the chun li upskirt art it came with on the flimsy lovely plexi.

Thanks for reading this victory lap cross post.

Pockyless posted:

You may want to invest in wire strippers

Yeah that was the quick dirty test i redid it clean once i knew it was gonna work for sure

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 21, 2022

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Anyone know any place that sells stuff to convert a TE1 to a hitbox layout?

I did the conversion a while ago but could never find a replacement metal panel or a plexi that was thin enough - I bought a plexi off some German site but it turned out to be a good 0.8-1cm thick, which looks ugly as hell (but meant I didn't need a replacement metal plate).

I'd ideally like to find a hitbox layout metal plate with the cutout for the status/option buttons bar and a plexi that doesn't spill over the edges of the enclosure:

Bonus points if it's not going to cost me $80 in shipping+taxes to Europe.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lemon-Lime posted:

Anyone know any place that sells stuff to convert a TE1 to a hitbox layout?

I did the conversion a while ago but could never find a replacement metal panel or a plexi that was thin enough - I bought a plexi off some German site but it turned out to be a good 0.8-1cm thick, which looks ugly as hell (but meant I didn't need a replacement metal plate).

I'd ideally like to find a hitbox layout metal plate with the cutout for the status/option buttons bar and a plexi that doesn't spill over the edges of the enclosure:

Bonus points if it's not going to cost me $80 in shipping+taxes to Europe.

https://allfightsticks.com/products/mad-catz-te-replacement-panels?_pos=1&_sid=4f7c9bb31&_ss=r

Dunno about shipping but allfightsticks has a te1 plate just like my te2 one
The 60 day delivery warning turned out to be fake i got mine in 7 days
Tho the te2 did not have a warning that you need a dremel tool for installation so this one might be more complex to put on
Dunno about moving the start button. Maybe get the one with a turbo window and rig something up through that?

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Oct 21, 2022

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

https://allfightsticks.com/products/mad-catz-te-replacement-panels?_pos=1&_sid=4f7c9bb31&_ss=r

Dunno about shipping but allfightsticks has a te1 plate just like my te2 one
The 60 day delivery warning turned out to be fake i got mine in 7 days
Tho the te2 did not have a warning that you need a dremel tool for installation so this one might be more complex to put on
Dunno about moving the start button. Maybe get the one with a turbo window and rig something up through that?

Thanks - from a quick Google it looks like you need to cut out a good chunk of the insides and reposition the PCB.

Unfortunately,

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

It sounds like your current panel is so thick that it prevents you from needing to cut the insides up to give the button terminals/wires enough clearance. (This is why there are pre-existing holes in the shape of the stock layout inside.) With a thinner panel you'd run into that issue.

You might be able to avoid cutting things up by bending the metal tabs on your button switches so they don't stick straight out.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

drat thats pretty hosed up the te2 was like turn this with allen wrench and boom its on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Zonekeeper posted:

It sounds like your current panel is so thick that it prevents you from needing to cut the insides up to give the button terminals/wires enough clearance.

That's exactly the case, yeah.

Sadly it's basically a moot point since I'm not paying $60 shipping + $30 VAT and handling on a $40 panel replacement. :rip: