Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Where is the legendary german industry to fill this niche market?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm in Canada, so I buy from Retroactive Arcade.

You could buy from T-Molding though. They right in CT, so probably the closest to you. I actually bought my t-molding direct from them, since I needed 1/2" which is not a common size that other places carry, and it came drat quick even across the border. You could get something from them in a day or two probably.

ty again so much for this. theyre literally 20 min away from me lol.

it got delivered, but i let my sister borrow my car this weekend and its stuck in my mailbox until i get the keys back.

Thinking about recording it as a how-to video for the OP, at the very least it'll show how the ps360s are currently wired before i tear them out to never deal with windows randomly choosing what side is p1/p2 on boot for my cab

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

need a hand with the IPAC-2 if anyone has any experience for my arcade cab

I use Launchbox for my frontend- arcade cab has about 82 consoles worth of romsets on there and maybe about 30 or so Steam fighting games.

After fuckin around wirh this thing for the weekend I've figured out what im gonna have to do is have launchbox launch a script with each of the 30 or so steam games (gently caress xinput) to start/stop joy2key for those shits, which whatever that's a night of work, just wondering if anyone has a good key list for xinput poo poo- ipac comes with poo poo like LK set to Left Shift as default, which SFV wont recognize.

I'll bang out something myself but if theres like a community standard set keys i'd just assume use em and then copy/paste it as a doc on the cab for future reference

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

nevermind, I was able to force the ipac into xinput mode with the new firmware and by holding start and whatever button I had wired to pin 1SW3 for 10 seconds while i had the winipac utility open with admin rights

sfv and steam recognized it as 2 xbox 360 controllers immediately and i was able to remap the buttons in the winipac program and now thats set at least.

edit: booted up next day, and ipac reverted to default controls in winipac utility.

Rewiring it one last time just so that I dont have to deal with script fuckery and be done with it

heres a pic with a wiring chart so that i can refer to it 5 years from now when i try to unfuck whatever this causes and also in case people wanna use an IPAC mainly in gamepad mode

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 27, 2022

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Final parts are in, so build is complete on my compact retro-arcade controller!

You can see my more compact design over the original makes this perfect for lap-play, whereas the original was good for floor/coffee-table/desktop. I harvested a lot of parts from the original unit, but now that my more compact unit is done and works, I'll start refilling the old one with parts over time. That one I'll give to my nieces and nephews, so they can bang away on the RetroPie box I made them a while back.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I would play some golf on that ball

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Golden Tee or Neo Turf Masters

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ive never played ntm on a ball actually is it awesome?

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

Real hurthling! posted:

Ive never played ntm on a ball actually is it awesome?

It doesn’t have trackball support

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

We are, at the very least, actually up and running. Sort of. Pending button configuring. I probably won't do too much more until after the holidays, but at least it's playable for now.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I like the illuminated buttons

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Saint Freak posted:

We are, at the very least, actually up and running. Sort of. Pending button configuring. I probably won't do too much more until after the holidays, but at least it's playable for now.

Since you have 4 sets of 8 buttons, my crazy recommendation is to make the far left and far right controllers P1 and P2. The dimensions look a tiny bit tight so it'll give you more room between players when you're doing fighting games.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
Hey stick/hitbox thread,

I did a thing. I was at a Hardoff and found a Hori RAP V3-SA in the junk section and knew what I had to do.

I got it home to test, just to see if it wasn't labelled junk for cosmetic reasons, but it was DOA. Which is fine as my plan was to mod it for use with a MiSTer FPGA anyway. I had been looking at a lag/latency spreadsheet and noticed that a top performing board is the GP2040 (now maintained as the GP2040-CE based on Raspberry Pi Pico micro controller.

quote:

GP2040-CE is a gamepad firmware for the Raspberry Pi Pico and other boards based on the RP2040 microcontroller, and provides high performance with a rich feature set across multiple platforms. GP2040-CE is compatible with PC, MiSTer, Android, Raspberry Pi, Nintendo Switch, PS3 and PS4 (legacy controller support)

There are breakout boards available that match the form factor of the UFB and co, but I decided to YOLO and solder directly. Currently, I am sick of 8 button layouts and decided to focus this on simpler period when 3 buttons were enough for everyone. I took inspiration from the sticks Hori made for Virtual Fighter over the years and ordered some Seimitsu screw ins buttons and caps to go with an ls-32 I had laying around.

and the inside

With a close up of the Pi Pico

This was a really straight forward and fun project. I have mainly used Sanwa buttons in the past, but I think I am more of a fan of the firmer Seimitsus. I know the wiring is not the best, I kind of rushed it. I have since bought a crimper and pile of quick disconnects so I reckon I'll have a go at daisy chaining a ground wire in the future.

Really happy with the performance of the GP2040, not that I could feel any lag before, and I reckon this will be my go to board for any future mods (I have one in mind already).

Less happy with the RAP V3-SA case. I find the stick is too close to the buttons and would like a little more palm space. But I knew I was getting a good spacious case at steal of a price as I already own a RAP VX-SA.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
Hey thread.

This time I spruced up a Hori Fighting Stick V3, replacing the stock lever and buttons with the Sanwa ones I recovers from the above RAP V3-SA.

Going from this

To this

Getting the JLF in was a bit of a hassle, I removed the mounting plate and drilled holes in the restrictor to gate which let me pass screws through to use the same mounting points as the stock stick.

Next step is to add a heavier spring to the JLF and get some Seimitsu buttons in. I was thinking of the orange fluorescent keikou buttons + a matching ball top.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rise from your grave! Just wanted to know this thread's thoughts on the Monoprice Dark Matter stick: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=43710

It was on sale a few days ago for roughly $80 after some promo codes I think, but I hesistated since I've been enjoying my 8BitDo stick (of which I've still yet to mod with better buttons). Kinda regret not picking up the Monoprice stick, but not really? I dunno. I'm sure it'll go on sale again eventually. I just wonder what are the drawbacks of it having a universal board inside... more prone to input lag?

CH Science
Sep 11, 2019

I don’t think there are any drawbacks really? At least I can’t imagine lag or anything being a consideration. I’ve got a few universal sticks and a few with things like rasppi picos in them and certainly wouldn’t be able to tell you which was which without looking inside

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I'm not sure when it happened but EVO announced formally that their August 2023 tournament was going to be entirely run on PS4, except for Street Fighter 6 which will be the PS5 version.

If you're a tournament person, the PS5 is extremely strict about which controllers are allowed to interface with PS5-native software. Basically, PS4-compatible controllers will work on PS5 if you're running the PS4 version of the game, but for the actual proper PS5 version there is additional strictness. Brook does have an adapter (Brook Wingman FGC) that'll take the vast majority of wired controllers (including things like DualShock 4 and Switch Pro controllers, as well as the normal PS4 HitBox) and make them work on PS5 for fighting games (and only fighting games), although it just launched and may be hard to come by. I believe the adapter costs somewhere in the $50-65 range. If you want a different solution, read on.

Any native PS4-compatible officially licensed Sony fight stick (and only fight sticks, so no game pads, HOTAS flight sticks, racing wheels, taiko drums, plastic guitars etc.) should work out-of-the-box for PS5-native fighting games, but only fighting games, as well as the PS5's UI (so you can use the stick to navigate to and launch a game still, but the only PS5 games it'll work in are fighting games). In a broad sense, this includes most if not all PS4-compatible sticks launched from around 2015 onwards from Hori, MadCatz (e.g. the TE2+), Qanba, Razer, and PDP/Victrix, including ones with PS3/PS4/PC switches as long as they're set to "PS4". It also seems to include the Nacom Daija, the "Venom Arcade Stick" and the newer "2023" models of Snackbox Micro/Micro XL by Junk Food Custom Arcades (while expensive, Junk Food does offer a replacement board on their site that you can purchase and swap out of an older model Snackbox). In some cases, you might need to firmware update your stick using a PC, check with your stick's manufacturer for more info. PS5 software compatibility does not seem to include most Mayflash sticks, however, or the Hitbox. You can technically get at least the Mayflash sticks working with a firmware update and having a DualShock 4 or certain other wired PS4 controllers for it to piggyback the hardware chip from, but this probably won't be tournament legal in most cases (check with your TO beforehand if needed), as most rules requires your controller to work immediately when hotplugged without external weirdness or shenanigans other than tournament-approved USB converter devices (availability and legality varies between tournaments, check ahead of time). I also think if you're extremely old-school and doing the thing of using a PS3 stick with a DualShock 4 hookup because of that special driver some PS4 games offered, that hasn't been tournament-legal at least at EVO for a while, and I'm pretty much certain it won't work in any PS5 software anyway, time for a Brook board swap (see next paragraph). Hitbox doesn't have an official solution yet, but a Brook board swap as detailed below should work.

For custom-built sticks or incompatible sticks you're able to swap the internal board of, Brook just released the UFB Fusion, an internal board that will work with PS5 fighting games and PS4 software, although being a new product it might be hard to come by like the adapter mentioned earlier. If you already have a PS4-era Brook Board, you can get a Brook PS5 Upgrade Kit (approx. $60usd). If you're buying fresh the PS4 Brook board options seem to range in price from around $45 to $95 depending on the level of console compatibility you want (the cheapest boards are PS3/PS4 and have no audio hookup; ones with audio hookups are around $15ish more expensive, the $95 is the Universal Fighting Board). The upgrade kit is a fairly simple and straightforward install + firmware update of a small secondary board that hangs off the main Brook board, although some older versions of the Brook boards will need an included connector to be soldered to the board, which appears to be around a 2/10 difficulty solder job (newer versions of all the boards I believe have the connector already there, making the install solderless and simple if you're used to futzing with your stick's internal wiring). Once you hook up this board and run a firmware update on the stick from a PC, the stick is upgraded to the point where it's still a "PS4" stick, but it's now one the PS5 will recognize as official, so while it still won't work for non-fighting PS5 games it should work for any PS4 game that doesn't require analog sticks/triggers (whether running on a PS4 or PS5), the PS5's system UI, as well as PS5 fighting games.

Various manufacturers have started releasing official PS5 sticks, including the newest Qanba sticks (Drone 2, Titan, Obsidian 2) as well as the Hori Fighting Stick Alpha. These will work with most PS5 software, although some games still only work with an actual DualSense or DualSense Edge despite not leveraging analog sticks or triggers (e.g. Puyo Puyo Tetris 2's PS5 version). For the record, I have a Hori Fighting Stick Alpha, and it works natively in the PS5 versions of non-fighting games TMNT Shredder's Revenge, Cyber Shadow, and PS1-emulated games. For third party game pads, only ones that are officially "PS5" controllers will work, so this includes the Hori Fighting Commander Octa (but not earlier "Fighting Commander" controllers), the Razer Wolverine V2 Pro, the Victrix Pro BFG, and the SCUF Reflex Pro. There are probably other controllers that work but only ones that explicitly say "PS5" on the box and have an "Official Licensed Product" Sony logo on them should be trusted. The DualShock 4, as well as any other non-stick controller that's a "PS4" controller (e.g. Hori Fighting Commander 4), are incompatible with any PS5-native software including fighting games, they only work with PS4 versions of games running on a PS5 and the PS5 UI itself (unless you specifically use the Brook Wingman FGC and wire the controller in).

If you have access to a PS5 and a controller you want to test, there's a Street Fighter 6 free demo currently, grab the PS5 version and see how your controller behaves with it. If for some reason this demo is pulled and there isn't an equivalent available, the most cost-effective way to test, assuming you don't already own a PS5-native version of a fighting game, is to subscribe to PS+ Extra if you're not already subbed, and download Mortal Kombat 11 for PS5 that way (note, however, the game is banned in some regions including Japan, so it'll have to be an account from a country with sufficient freedom). Depending on your situation it can also be viable to get a PS4 disc copy of the vanilla Mortal Kombat 11, which upgrades free to PS5 and should be nice and cheap second-hand, although of course this isn't an option if your PS5 is digital-only and doesn't have an optical drive. If your bundle of wires and switches works in the PS5-native version of SF6 demo, MK11, KOF XV or Guilty Gear Strive, you should be sorted for SF6 and any other future PS5-native fighting game, so long as it actually offers support for PS4 fight sticks and this feature isn't phased out at some point down the line (although I don't think there's any real reason for them to do this).

univbee fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 26, 2023

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

o7

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I was just starting to look into my options for SF6, so the effortpost is very much appreciated!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Important to note that I think the current window for ordering the junkfood arcade upgrade board is the last one before Evo. Definitely the last one that'll be in time for July at the absolute minimum, depending on what events you're planning on going to.

So if you're heading to Evo with a pre 2023 micro you need to order it now or you'll miss out

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

I found my old PS1/PS2 stick while looking for my VF4Evo disc. I made it in my parents garage almost 20 years ago. It has Happ/iL convex buttons, as were the style at the time.

It, uh, has a few miles on it.

I remember that I soldered the control wires directly onto the Dual Shock One donor PCB. Using a legit Sony controller PCB was desirable for reduced input lag on some converters. It supposedly also made it less likely to get the blue box of death mid-match when using a Dreamcast converter.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Heads up for Capcom Pro Tour would-be participants, they just implemented a rule change that forces leverless controllers to not have in-built logic prioritizing one direction over the other (e.g. it's common for leverless controllers currently to say pressing up+down sends only "up" to the console). They have to either go neutral (no directional signal is sent), or send both direction signals at once. Depending on what board you're using and how it handles SOCD, it might not be tournament legal anymore (at least for this specific tournament). Hitbox is planning some sort of software solution to address this, and I think most other solutions like Brook boards have some form of setting (jumper or something) that lets you change the setting so it's tournament legal.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I have the focus attack branded socd. I dunno if it can be updated. Feels bad but i guess i can always buy a different one like an rear end in a top hat if capcoms decision becomes the standard

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Edit: focus attack is now offering refunds to any buyers of their socd since it is not updateable to be compliant with cpt rules. Check the "latest updates" tab on their homepage for the link to request refund

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 31, 2023

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is there any resource for planning and visualizing arcade stick layouts? Like if I'm trying to see how different colored/rimmed buttons would look next to each other in a 2x4 layout. Currently I'm just google image searching for sticks and seeing if anything looks like what I'm going for, but there's gotta be a better way!

In the past I think I actually drew a bunch of shapes in MS Publisher lol... does Publisher even work on WIndows 10??

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Took my u+d=u socd cleaner out to comply with the capcops and oh no the madcatz te2 has its own socd on board apparently that makes l+r=l and u+d=u
Same results in sf6 beta and guilty gear strive.
Ugh.

Can someone link me a cable that fits into this circled 3pin port on the te2 pcb to go to my new socd?

I bought some 3 pin cables but the connector is too big, didnt realize there were multiple sizes

My old power hack was only 3v and i need the 5v and ground from this now instead. I figure i can just snip the third unneeded wire and insulate it with tape but maybe im dumb.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Real hurthling! posted:

Can someone link me a cable that fits into this circled 3pin port on the te2 pcb to go to my new socd?

Looks like run of the mill JST PH to me, could be some other JST variant. You could always just bodge it on there with duponts if need be.

e: i'm super glad i built all my poo poo around RP2040s or pro micros, feels good to just hit a key combo you already had to be tourney legal lol. of course ps5 compatibility is a whole other problem

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah i chose to work with my old te2 cause its on the whitelist for ps5.

Ok i'll try ph cables this time. The other ones i got that were too big were xh apparently

Oh hey one last question:
Whats a funny thing i can hook up to the 3v source i had my old socd cleaner on? It was originally a tiny led and thats lame. Any goofy devices out there that i can screw a 3v wire and ground into?

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 23, 2023

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah i chose to work with my old te2 cause its on the whitelist for ps5.

Ok i'll try ph cables this time. The other ones i got that were too big were xh apparently

Oh hey one last question:
Whats a funny thing i can hook up to the 3v source i had my old socd cleaner on? It was originally a tiny led and thats lame. Any goofy devices out there that i can screw a 3v wire and ground into?

oooooooooo lemme ask around

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Real hurthling! posted:

use it to power a solenoid that shoots a nerf dart out of the controller

include a built in personal grooming trimmer

heat up a scent pack for immersive smell-o-vision

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Those are all pretty good ideas, but in the meantime im good to go now

Thanks for telling me the size of the socket i needed!

The Middleman
Jun 2, 2003

What would Jigglypuff do?
This may not be the right thread to ask this question and if it isn't, I apologize!

I'm just starting to get into SHMUPs and I've been a Skullgirls player (terrible at it) for a while. I'd like to finally take the plunge and get a good arcade stick that I can start to use. Most of what I play on though is PC and Switch. Are there any sticks and goons might recommend for that configuration? I saw one from 8bitdo but I'm a little hesitant based on some of the reviews I saw about it.

Thanks in advanced!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

The Middleman posted:

This may not be the right thread to ask this question and if it isn't, I apologize!

I'm just starting to get into SHMUPs and I've been a Skullgirls player (terrible at it) for a while. I'd like to finally take the plunge and get a good arcade stick that I can start to use. Most of what I play on though is PC and Switch. Are there any sticks and goons might recommend for that configuration? I saw one from 8bitdo but I'm a little hesitant based on some of the reviews I saw about it.

Thanks in advanced!

Definitely get a stick because they're fun to play with, but do not get one to improve your fighting game skills because it won't. Sticks exist entirely due to arcade legacy, they are objectively suboptimal for fighting game movement. Obviously plenty of people are incredible with stick, but it's not because of the stick. The 8bitdo stick is pretty great, i've had good experiences with pretty much all their stuff.

The Middleman
Jun 2, 2003

What would Jigglypuff do?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Definitely get a stick because they're fun to play with, but do not get one to improve your fighting game skills because it won't. Sticks exist entirely due to arcade legacy, they are objectively suboptimal for fighting game movement. Obviously plenty of people are incredible with stick, but it's not because of the stick. The 8bitdo stick is pretty great, i've had good experiences with pretty much all their stuff.

Oh yeah, I fortunately do not have the delusion that a stick will help with my fighting game skills! Honestly, the desire to get into stick play is more for SHMUPs as a level of comfort because the controller is starting to cramp my hands pretty bad.

If that's your experience.. maybe I'll give it a shot then, as a first stick and kind of go from there. I wouldn't mind getting to where I am building them like others in this thread; I think I just have a while before I am at that point.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

The Middleman posted:

Oh yeah, I fortunately do not have the delusion that a stick will help with my fighting game skills! Honestly, the desire to get into stick play is more for SHMUPs as a level of comfort because the controller is starting to cramp my hands pretty bad.

If that's your experience.. maybe I'll give it a shot then, as a first stick and kind of go from there. I wouldn't mind getting to where I am building them like others in this thread; I think I just have a while before I am at that point.

The worst part about the 8bitdo stick is that the left side is too narrow to comfortably rest your hand and it always feels like it’s falling off. I would recommend a HORI Nintendo Switch Real Arcade Pro V Hayabusa Fight Stick used for more comfort.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
might want to hold off until this is confirmed i guess

https://twitter.com/RASCofficial/status/1652748959905902595

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Finally.

Does it really count as a leak when Brook have been saying this is what they're doing for two years now. :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 1, 2023

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah especially since Brook has already shown for a while now that PS5 compatibility works, and also they have already done an integrated board for the newer Snackbox, this seems like a no-brainer to haul rear end on with Street Fighter 6 just around the corner.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i am still irrationally angry about the sony controller tax and this is compounded by them buying evo.

there is zero reason it should cost $100+ to accomplish the same thing as a $3 rp2040

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I think Sony has this weird set mind about their security and wants to prevent devices like XIM from reappearing, but I feel like that's just a goalpost shift more than a permanent solution.